Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 29th Dec 18, 3:23 PM
    • 4,429Posts
    • 38,278Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    NST Join In January 2019 - In With The New
    • 29th Dec 18, 3:23 PM
    NST Join In January 2019 - In With The New 29th Dec 18 at 3:23 PM

NST Join In January Challenge

The month of January is named after the Roman God Janus, who had two faces in order that he could look at both the future and the past at the same time. Janus is the God of transitions and beginnings and he symbolises changes in life and the universe.
    Many people see a New Year as a new beginning and the opportunity for a fresh start and to make changes in life. This January for me personally with be the beginning of an exciting new chapter in my life, and I am keen to learn from the mistakes I’ve made in the past in order to make the future an improvement.

We cannot stop change from happening, however we can influence it, and increasingly I am finding that small changes can make a big difference to everything. January is traditionally a ‘blue’ month in terms of finances, mood, weather etc and whilst many people start the month with grand ambitions, these can quickly be abandoned once the initial motivation wanes.
    And so, I present Join in January for the Turtles – the opportunity to make some small, sustainable changes that will hopefully add up to big benefits.

Spend free days (NSD’s) – If you’re an absolute beginner aim for 10, regular player 15, expert 20. Spend free days just make us a little bit more aware of needless spending. Yellow Sticker shopping, medication, fuel purchases and milk (greent) do not scupper your nsd’s.

Make plans for the month – Nights out, treats and outings should be planned well in advance, and reduced wherever possible. No popping into coffee shops or takeaways without prior planning – and try to limit yourself to a maximum of three for the month.

Always pay your debts first – Set your budget at the beginning of the month and pay particular attention to areas where you’re likely to overspend (food for me). Make sure that you pay to your debts first.

List your frogs – Write a list of jobs that you have been putting off doing, no matter how big or small. If you’ve been meaning to make a phone call, or appointment, put some things away in a cupboard, go through a pile of post etc, then put it onto a list. Aim to cross one thing off the list each day in January and you’ll be amazed how much better you’ll feel as the month goes on.

Little savings – Even if you’re paying off a lot of debt, you should be aiming to put a little bit of something away as an emergency fund. I have decided to do the 1p savings challenge over 2019 with the theory being that on the days I can afford to add a bit more to the pot then I will, and on the days I can’t I should be able to find a penny or 5p piece lying about. I’ve printed off this chart and it’s on my fridge ready to go http://www.playpennies.com/media/playpennies-365-savings.pdf

Chill out – Whatever helps you to relax, make time for this – even if it’s only 15 minutes a day. Whether this is a hobby like reading, cooking, crochet or doing something for yourself like a long soak in the bath, or a mindfulness meditation. A small amount of time just for you leads to much better mental health.

Helping others – If you can, please consider donating to charity or to your local food bank. A pack of Basics sanitary towels costs 25p and would make a massive difference to a woman who needs them. If you are unable to donate money, then see if you can donate your time and/or expertise to someone who needs it. I will be asking lots for recipe ideas over the month.

Always be grateful – Take time every day to think about and write down three things in life that you are grateful for.

New to You – Before splashing out on new clothes, stuff for your house, magazines etc. consider whether or not you can get what you need by swapping with someone or going to a charity shop, using eB@y or Fakeb00k. For example, I regularly swap books and magazines with my mam, which saves us both money. If you’re anything like me, you might have a stash of stuff somewhere that you’ve forgotten about – clothes, craft kit etc. It’s worth going through this too, and easily as much fun finding things you’ve forgotten about as it is finding something new in a shop.

Get involved – Try and check in on here every day if you can, just a quick hello can be really motivating to others, and you may pick up some helpful hints and tips from the other Turtles.

Exercise – It’s more important than ever to get outdoors when there are so few daylight hours. If you are an absolute beginner then aim for 10 minutes of walking every day (no matter the weather), if you’re a regular then aim for 1 more session each week than you would usually do.

Sort it out – Your food cupboards and stores. Someone on the Small Things thread made a ‘use it up’ box of foodstuffs, filled with items that were lurking unloved and unused. I encourage you to do the same and aim to use 1 item from the box every time you cook. If you’re not sure what to do with the item then ask on here, and I have no doubt that the Turtles will be here to help.

As always, the challenge runs from midnight on the 1st Jan 2019 to 2359 on 31st January. Whether you’re going into the New Year with a bang, or more like me and intend to be asleep for the first 8 hours of it – we should all be able to make these small changes for the month ahead.

So - who will join me in January?
    Last edited by crazy_cat_lady; 29-12-2018 at 6:58 PM.
    NST Join in January #1 nsd = 9 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £114.40/£5750
Page 20
    • misstara
    • By misstara 13th Jan 19, 10:56 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 21,783 Thanks
    misstara
    For today and yesterday

Spend free days (NSD’s) – I'm going to aim for 20 as money is going to be pretty tight this month - spent both days so still on 8/20.

Make plans for the month – I've got a couple of things planned for this month but will make sure that they are as low budget as possible - went for a pub lunch yesterday but friend paid as I drove.

Always pay your debts first – Budget is done for January and debt payment has been made - nothing added.

List your frogs – Made a start on this and will add to the list as I think of more - deep cleaned bathroom and washed shower curtain.

Little savings – I've added a whole £2.50 to my emergency fund taking it to £9.50 , will continue to add as I can - 11p added to copper jar.

Chill out – Will aim to read a bit every day. I've also got a few adult colouring books which have been sitting there for ages so will aim to do some colouring in too - spent some time colouring.

Helping others – I've set up a charity donation which will come out at the start of the month. I'll also add items to the food bank whenever I'm in the supermarket - few cans added to the collection.

Always be grateful – Will post 3 gratitudes each day. - not feeling too stiff today after run, evening watching musicals and df baileys

New to You – Me and OH are planning to do a huge sort though of all our stuff, there's still unopened boxes from when we moved in, who knows what treasures we might find - nothing done.

Get involved – I always struggle with daily posting but will try this month - I'm here

Exercise – I really need to get back into exercising regularly. Now have new running shoes so no excuses! - run in Stirling yesterday.

Sort it out – I don't really have anything in the cupboards lurking that doesn't get used except spices but will aim to use up some of them - nothing used.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £419.37 (81.8% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £750.40 (5.9% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 13/60
    Emergency fund - £15/£1000. Car fund - £25/£1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - 7/16. Groceries target £59.89/£120. NSD target 12/20.
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 13th Jan 19, 11:30 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 28,307 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all

Glad the hangover wasn't too bad CCL!!

NSDs – Aiming for 10 as am going away on 22nd for a few days (Christmas treat) : still 7/ 10 as lost an nsd today - needed to order special needles for KAL, still not started..

Make plans for the month – Planned visit to Barcelona later in the month. Rail ticket & plane already paid for. No plans for this week as yet, but will discuss tomorrow.

Always pay your debts first – No debts but do use a cc which is paid in full every month...need to rein this in, spending has been frightful of late..CC paid off in full, now need to make sure it doesn't rack up to those levels this month. No spends today. Going to restart PAD payments to try & get cc balance down. Will need to empty all change from purse into savings pot.
    [
    List your frogs – Started another very large frog this week, but am pleased with progress. (Clearing bedroom). During this also found a brand new sealed cover for the sofa bed promised to DD (could be 2 items out of the house!!) and also a brand new fitted jersey sheet....treasure. Sofa bed & cover gone to DDs house & installed there, very happy with that. May also get rid of 2 chairs that her housemates mum admired, tbc. Housemates mum wants chairs so second one leaving our house tomorrow...win win. Chair still here but will be leaving asap. Not today as DD still in her home, also she is off out tomorrow, so maybe not coming here. More clearing of frog sunroom.

Little Savings – Put in a £2 coin that I had in my change the other day, will get cash out & pay in to bank. Joined 1p challenge..Will add to moneybox tonight. Also have some money in TCB, meant to access for Christmas but didn't so it should have mounted up. Need to work out how to withdraw it to obtain max benefit. Tomorrow for this. Still not done...DH gave me another £2 coin for the piggy bank. Change to be put from purse into savings jar, have lots of copper in there.

Chill out – working on this. One of my frogs is to start doing some complex knitting...as I am supposed to be doing a 'knitalong'. So far have not even started. Pressure on knitalong as second section now posted online, have not even done tension square yet. hmm. Chilling out today with friends' visit & having a catch up re the holidays. Got out box of complex knitalong & looked at pattern. Frightening..Not much chilling today, just a bit this evening. Got out box with complex knitting, studied pattern. Had intended to start this afternoon, but realise have no circular needles of the correct size/length so had to order, therefore lost an nsd.

Helping others – nothing today.

Always be grateful –
    Grateful for today:

- friendly help from online knitting forum to my question

- happy pooches

- more boxes packed up & out of the house

New to You –No purchases of clothes etc today, but did buy something the other day so busted my resolve already. must. do. better.

Get involved – I'm here!

Exercise – Outside with beasts in garden, but otherwise no more done. Lots of exercise moving stuff around inside though.

Sort it out – Need to do this & will be eating from stuffed freezers & cupboards for January. Failed to find inventory of freezer that I wrote the other week, but it must be around somewhere! Still eating from fridge/freezer no need to shop.

GO Turtles!!!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 14th Jan 19, 6:44 AM
    • 379 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Happy Monday everyone! Hope those feeling poorly or with sick children are on the mend.

It's been a spendy weekend , not ideal a week before payday so some shuffling needed! Fairly quiet week coming up but I'm out Thurs and Fri.

NSDs: still on 5/10.

Frogs: have a big one I NEED to do in the next few days, will make a start on it tonight.

Exercise: actually doing well on this one. Enjoying the RED challenge, managed to get out on four short runs last week and averaged over 12000 steps a day. Lost all of 1 pound .
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 14th Jan 19, 7:19 AM
    • 379 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Today I am grateful for: a morning routine which means I can get on the train having had coffee and breakfast, the beginnings of a sunrise this morning, being able to order the cat's pills online .
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Jan 19, 8:25 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 18,835 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

Unlike me, I managed a NSD over the weekend - and on a Saturday too!! This means that I am up to 9/17, with number 10 being today.

I am grateful for;
    - My liquidiser - For helping me make my soups for lunch
    - My dad - For always managing to put a smile on my face
    - A good nights sleep. I didn't have one but it makes you grateful for when you do!
    - The MSE newsletter - for saving me some dough on new specks.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 14th Jan 19, 9:39 AM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 33,109 Thanks
    XSpender
    MIA again! I am working from home most of this week so will catch up with posts and update daily hopefully.

Spend free days (NSD’s) – Aiming for 15 - 3/15 Although the NSDs are low so is our spending. We have spent a great deal less this month than usual.

Make plans for the month – Didn't go to the cinema as planned, after being away a lot last week I wanted to spend time at home. Paid for the tickets for a rugby match in March

Always pay your debts first – BT gone through and all debt on 0%.

List your frogs –Lots of progress on frogs this weekend, changed energy company, sorted SIM only deal. Total savings about £40/mnth.

Little Savings – done some TT from YNAB pots to Carpet OP account

Chill out – time with DH and DS, watching Pine Gap on netflix, walking the dog, catch up with a friend

Helping others – offered to take friends children to an event that they couldn't get to otherwise

Always be grateful – Today I am grateful for:

1) DH deciding to make positive changes to his lifestyle and carrying them out enthusiastically
    2) The gorgeous veg in my veg box
    3) A free cookbook in which I have found some new recipes to make
    4) Some great nights sleep this weekend
    5) DS not arguing about doing his homework for once
    6) Leftovers from Christmas making a lovely dinner
    7) My laptop coming back to life when we thought it was gone for good
    8) My new running club, so friendly and well organised

New to You – need to revisit the task set and make some progress this week

Get involved – Hello turtles

Exercise – ran with the running club, ran yesterday, daily dog walks

Sort it out – Lots used up, there is a lot more space in there. Added some meat to it this weekend
    £15,568.83 all at 0% at 16/11/18 £18,222.39 at 28/12/18

CC 1 £1955 CC2 £12,217.48 CC 3 £2895.54 CC 4 £25.60 credit Carpets £1007.42 (21 months left) - £18,049.84 Total at 18/01/19

Small EF 10% Big EF 0% Holiday 0% Holiday Spending 0% Carpets SIF Fund £0
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Jan 19, 10:36 AM
    • 4,196 Posts
    • 39,000 Thanks
    dolly84
    DickensLass - you sound so happy to have sorted out those things which were bothering you.

Spent pretty much the whole day yesterday painting our new dresser which just needs waxing now, it is looking fab though. I made chickpea and spinach curry for tea yesterday with an extra portion for my lunch at work tomorrow. Also made chana masala for tea tomorrow night. Tonight we are having roasted vegetables to go with the giant cous cous from the use up box, the cous cous was bb November 2015 - I will let you know how it was if we survive.

I have run this morning and it was horrible, I can't run in the morning but sometimes it is just more convenient, will also take the dog for a good walk in the sunshine. I have a wash on which I intend to peg out will also be doing a wool wash after.

Need to clean the bathroom today and vacuum the whole house, sort dry laundry, make a phone call which I have been putting off, prep tea and then do the school run.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 14th Jan 19, 10:43 AM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 17,849 Thanks
    f0xh0les

chocolatelover - the recipe is super easy:

1.5 cups plain flour sifted
    1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted
    2tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup caster sugar
    1 can coconut milk
    Originally posted by dolly84

Oh bugg3r, I have all of that in my cupboard, right now. Erm, quick, I need an excuse to not make this cake. Help!
    MFW START1/5/16 £118,340 Oct17£109,49 12/17 £108,801/18 £108,39 3/18 £108,50 4/18£108,10 5/18£106,99 6/18£105,99.7/18£105,308/18£103,99 9/18£102,99 10/18£101,999 11/18£101,300 12/18£100,700MFW 2019 #65

1/19 £99,999.99
    Referal code- https://doblotto.com/r/1f87a3
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 14th Jan 19, 11:13 AM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 17,849 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    All menus planned, all food in the house needed for said menus. Nothing else needed. My budget is looking healthy and there will be more moved to savings this week.

Baked instead of treating the kids to guilt fuelled coffee and cake out, so stayed in and accidently made a death by chocolate ice-cream concoction. Kids were very impressed, which was the idea. The trimmings of my chocolate bundts, topped with choc-hazelnut d/f ice cream, with warm choc fudge sauce, and a sprinkling of chopped hazlenuts.... and it was 0 calories too*. It got the boys together in the kitchen at the same time, and much hilarity when DS1 realised DS2 is now taller than me, as well, and that he (DS1) can now happily see over my head.

Grateful for: children who are taller than me (I am 5'5 so it's not much of an achievement), laughter in the kitchen, clearing another section of passageway, all of Christmas being packed away, free stamps, clean sheets, a sense of humour.
    NSD 9

*this is a LIE
    MFW START1/5/16 £118,340 Oct17£109,49 12/17 £108,801/18 £108,39 3/18 £108,50 4/18£108,10 5/18£106,99 6/18£105,99.7/18£105,308/18£103,99 9/18£102,99 10/18£101,999 11/18£101,300 12/18£100,700MFW 2019 #65

1/19 £99,999.99
    Referal code- https://doblotto.com/r/1f87a3
    • greent
    • By greent 14th Jan 19, 5:54 PM
    • 7,733 Posts
    • 78,839 Thanks
    greent
    NSDs - 4

Make plans for the month – Appointment made for hair for tomorrow - as brow place is next door I will pop in there then and make appt. Seeing sis tomorrow for coffee - here, I believe

Always pay your debts first yep

List your frogs – 19 completed. Today's were hanging kitchen blinds, hanging kitchen clock, getting all co paperwork totally up to date and reconciled

Little savings Yep – have sto going out 1st monthly. 'Shrapnel' change and £2 coins used for holiday fund - nothing today

Chill out – even if it’s only 15 minutes a day Ironed earlier. Will watch Silent Witness later

Helping others –– put a bathroom step stool aside to give to sister for nephew

Always be grateful write down three things you are grateful for. the blinds looking fab!, getting some cleaning done, finishing the paperwork

New to You Nope

Get involved –check in Yep

Exercise Would like to average 10k steps/ day over the month Fitb1t battery died and I didn't notice

Sort it out food cupboards and stores. NOW DONE!!!! Still eating the stores

Spends (for my benefit to keep track)
    * Food - 167.13 (includes some things for students)
    * Bdays/Xmas - 10.70
    * House - 108.33 (includes bathroom scales, WM repair+ some things for students)
    * Children - 18.25 (inc new calc for DS2 + Chimp book for DS3)
    * Grrrrrr - 35.00 - penalty notice received by OH
    * Social - 78.45 (nand0s)
    * Travel - 84.20 (parking + fuel)
    * Barbers - 23.00 (DS1 + DS2)
    * Clothing - 11.00 (DS1 PJs)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £421.46/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £33.81/£500
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 14th Jan 19, 6:13 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 26,110 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD today - 10/20.
    Usual walking in work/bus stop.
    Grateful for:
    Worked extra time in work.
    Having an early night.
    A little self care.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2019
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST Join In January 2019 - In With The New NSD 13/20
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Jan 19, 6:27 PM
    • 5,435 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all

NSDs - 5 / 10, nothing spent today

Make plans for the month – Nothing today

Always pay your debts first – No debts now, and standing orders are set up for savings

List your frogs – No frogs today

Little savings – Nothing today

Chill out – Spent a bit of time in the garden today

Helping others – Took a box of items to the CS today

Always be grateful – Grateful for having plenty of food in, meaning no spending, nice enough weather to mostly dry a load of washing, time in the garden, time playing with my 12 month old GS

New to You – Nothing today
    Get involved – I'm here

Exercise – I restocked my sales unit this morning, which involved carrying boxes from the top of the house to the bottom of the garden to load in the car. Also moving large and small items around in the garden this afternoon.

Sort it out – Sorting out sales stock, not sure if that counts? But I emptied several boxes, and freed up space in the eaves cupboard

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 38,278 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Just a quick one from me tonight. Apologies in advance if I go a bit quiet over the next couple of weeks - I'll check in as and when I can, but it is exam season and my workload doubles while that's ongoing so I may not get on every day. However I like doing it and the extra cash is very much needed and appreciated.
    Managed another nsd (not really through choice but necessity ), but I'm really pleased that I have so many meals in the freezer just ready to go.
    Today I'm grateful for:
    Crossing 4 frogs off the list, including one of the oldest ones on there
    Surviving a full teaching day
    Having leftovers for tea
    NST Join in January #1 nsd = 9 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £114.40/£5750
    • 364ab
    • By 364ab 14th Jan 19, 6:56 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    364ab
    Feeling the same about that chocolate cake, Dolly and Foxholes! Sounds delicious...

This was meant to be my Sunday post but my phone ran out of battery (after all the eBaying )

7 / 10 NSD
    20 / 31 frogs off the list, including some eBaying I'd put off for weeks

Sort it out - baked yesterday - using wholemeal bread flour lurking in cupboard, and christmas jam for thumbprint cookies

New to you - sorting through bathroom cabinet found a body lotion I didnt know was there! Think it was gifted to me, so will use up before my regular lotion.

Grateful for
    Lazy sunday mornings
    My understanding significant other
    Busting through lots of chores
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 14th Jan 19, 7:57 PM
    • 8,221 Posts
    • 62,961 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a warm bed, a good day at work, getting home quickly, time with dd and dh, my stripey knitting, good coffee, headspace, the hoardes (sp?) of frogs being less daunting, candles, quiet neighbours.
    NST Join in Jan #3; NSD 7/18; Shlder Ex 5/21; craft 2(0); remove 64 (0); 2018 Pay off: ; 2018 sell £98.10

Mortgage £18,275 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 14th Jan 19, 8:32 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 5,185 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Hello everyone

CCL - I'm glad the daith piercing worked for you! I've heard so many positive reviews so hoping it works for me how long did it take for yours to heal? I've ready stories that it could take up to 9 months

Dolly - Thank you for the recipe I will pass it on to her

Maisie - Hope DS is feeling better.

NSD today (YS ham and cough meds so still counting it as NSD).
    Yesterday I spent ages arranging money and receipts into different wallets and won't be taking my cards out with me so fingers crossed I will have a bit more control over my spending.

Been using my fitness tracker and have done almost 11K steps so I am pleased with that as the first day I wore it I only did about 5K (I was ill though so spend the day on the sofa lol)

Grateful for:
    1. Butchers steak (very yummy)
    2. My son making me laugh so much at bed time when I had to give Iggle Piggle a kiss!
    3. Having a day to myself to tidy and declutter (4 bags to CS)

C xx
    #45 Make £2019 in 2019 £7/£2019
    declutter 2019 in 2019 26/2019
    DFXMAS 2019 £50/£3077.61
    Grocery Jan W1: £58.08/£40
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 14th Jan 19, 9:45 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 7,698 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all

NSDs- Today is NSD number 11. Aiming for 15 this week.

frogs - 3 crossed off as I hoovered out my car, paid the money from the collection tin into the charitys bank & posted some ebay stuff.
    Be kind- gave some old stuff of mine to a lady I know for their DS. Including my pram Not getting very far selling it & I'm happy to know it's being used & not just sat gathering dust.

Gratitudes- grateful for- whoever ran the thread that suggested we stock up on medical supplies- on my own with the kids meant I couldn't get to the shop & then I remembered I had cold & flu stuff in , for my LO loving his sea life book& repeatedly asking for it, it was 2nd hand & I'd never have picked it out in a million years & finally for bed time

Leaving it short & sweet as I need to sleep this bug off but hugs to all that need them!
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 14th Jan 19, 10:06 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 6,893 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Hello.
    Nothing much to report. It's been a "do nothing" sort of day.
    NSD though. Had to post e-bay sales,but not counting the postage as buyers paid. Didn't need anything else.

Grateful for avoiding the rain,food from stores,Having an early night.

Hope all the poorly people are soon feeling better.

ilovetea xx
    #10 Make £2018 in 2018. £2,204.08
    • misstara
    • By misstara 14th Jan 19, 11:13 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 21,783 Thanks
    misstara
    Spend free days (NSD’s) – I'm going to aim for 20 as money is going to be pretty tight this month - still on 8/20 as realised I was almost out of coffee , needed petrol, bought a few toiletries plus thank you cards and stamps.

Make plans for the month – I've got a couple of things planned for this month but will make sure that they are as low budget as possible - next up is theatre evening with the girls, ticket already paid for but will probably go out for a meal/drinks before.

Always pay your debts first – Budget is done for January and debt payment has been made - nothing added.

List your frogs – Made a start on this and will add to the list as I think of more - picked up passport form.

Little savings – I've added a whole £2.50 to my emergency fund taking it to £9.50 , will continue to add as I can - nothing today

Chill out – Will aim to read a bit every day. I've also got a few adult colouring books which have been sitting there for ages so will aim to do some colouring in too - spent some time colouring.

Helping others – I've set up a charity donation which will come out at the start of the month. I'll also add items to the food bank whenever I'm in the supermarket - nothing today.

Always be grateful – Will post 3 gratitudes each day. - seeing my gran, earning some extra cash and a lie in

New to You – Me and OH are planning to do a huge sort though of all our stuff, there's still unopened boxes from when we moved in, who knows what treasures we might find - nothing done.

Get involved – I always struggle with daily posting but will try this month - I'm here

Exercise – I really need to get back into exercising regularly. Now have new running shoes so no excuses! - shift for 2nd job this evening was based in the community so lots of walking.

Sort it out – I don't really have anything in the cupboards lurking that doesn't get used except spices but will aim to use up some of them - nothing used.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £419.37 (81.8% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £750.40 (5.9% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 13/60
    Emergency fund - £15/£1000. Car fund - £25/£1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - 7/16. Groceries target £59.89/£120. NSD target 12/20.
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 14th Jan 19, 11:23 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 28,307 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all

NSDs – Aiming for 10 as am going away on 22nd for a few days (Christmas treat) : now 8/10

Make plans for the month – Planned visit to Barcelona later in the month. Rail ticket & plane already paid for. No plans for this week as yet, but will discuss tomorrow. didn't..

Always pay your debts first – No debts but do use a cc which is paid in full every month...need to rein this in, spending has been frightful of late..CC paid off in full, now need to make sure it doesn't rack up to those levels this month. No spends today. Going to restart PAD payments to try & get cc balance down. Will need to empty all change from purse into savings pot.
    Found purse & will do now

List your frogs
    – Started another very large frog this week, but am pleased with progress. (Clearing bedroom). During this also found a brand new sealed cover for the sofa bed promised to DD (could be 2 items out of the house!!) and also a brand new fitted jersey sheet....treasure. Sofa bed & cover gone to DDs house & installed there, very happy with that. May also get rid of 2 chairs that her housemates mum admired, tbc. Housemates mum wants chairs so second one leaving our house tomorrow...win win. Chair still here but will be leaving asap. Not today as DD still in her home, also she is off out tomorrow, so maybe not coming here. Yet more clearing of frog sunroom. Will also clear a couple more small frogs tonight.

Little Savings – Put in a £2 coin that I had in my change the other day, will get cash out & pay in to bank. Joined 1p challenge..Will add to moneybox tonight. Also have some money in TCB, meant to access for Christmas but didn't so it should have mounted up. Need to work out how to withdraw it to obtain max benefit. Tomorrow for this. Still not done...DH gave me another £2 coin for the piggy bank. Change to be put from purse into savings jar, have lots of copper in there. Now found purse will do tonight.

Chill out – working on this. One of my frogs is to start doing some complex knitting...as I am supposed to be doing a 'knitalong'. So far have not even started. Pressure on knitalong as second section now posted online, have not even done tension square yet. hmm. Chilling out today with friends' visit & having a catch up re the holidays. Got out box of complex knitalong & looked at pattern. Frightening.. Into garden for fresh air & to plant more things bought at garden centre last Friday. It's a very expensive place, but they have a YS corner & I never buy any full price plants, only from there. Had some great stuff & plants I would normally never have even heard of..these were clematis, all £3. Also chilled by finding my previous (unfinished from 2016) complex knitting & sitting down doing some (shock, horror). Need to get some practice in, before the really difficult one gets started.

Helping others nothing today.

Always be grateful – Grateful for today:

- Lovely scent from flowering plants in garden

- Finding a yucca which had died, had thrown up 3 shoots

- warm bed & book soon

New to You –No purchases of clothes etc today, but did buy something the other day so busted my resolve already. must. do. better. No purchases today so an NSD.

Get involved
    I'm here!

Exercise – Outside with beasts in garden, then digging to plant some clematis. More to go, but happy with a little progress.

Sort it out – Need to do this & will be eating from stuffed freezers & cupboards for January. Failed to find inventory of freezer that I wrote the other week, but it must be around somewhere! Still eating from fridge/freezer no need to shop.

GO Turtles!!!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin