Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 29th Dec 18, 3:23 PM
    • 4,579Posts
    • 39,788Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    NST Join In January 2019 - In With The New
    • 29th Dec 18, 3:23 PM
    NST Join In January 2019 - In With The New 29th Dec 18 at 3:23 PM

NST Join In January Challenge

The month of January is named after the Roman God Janus, who had two faces in order that he could look at both the future and the past at the same time. Janus is the God of transitions and beginnings and he symbolises changes in life and the universe.
    Many people see a New Year as a new beginning and the opportunity for a fresh start and to make changes in life. This January for me personally with be the beginning of an exciting new chapter in my life, and I am keen to learn from the mistakes I’ve made in the past in order to make the future an improvement.

We cannot stop change from happening, however we can influence it, and increasingly I am finding that small changes can make a big difference to everything. January is traditionally a ‘blue’ month in terms of finances, mood, weather etc and whilst many people start the month with grand ambitions, these can quickly be abandoned once the initial motivation wanes.
    And so, I present Join in January for the Turtles – the opportunity to make some small, sustainable changes that will hopefully add up to big benefits.

Spend free days (NSD’s) – If you’re an absolute beginner aim for 10, regular player 15, expert 20. Spend free days just make us a little bit more aware of needless spending. Yellow Sticker shopping, medication, fuel purchases and milk (greent) do not scupper your nsd’s.

Make plans for the month – Nights out, treats and outings should be planned well in advance, and reduced wherever possible. No popping into coffee shops or takeaways without prior planning – and try to limit yourself to a maximum of three for the month.

Always pay your debts first – Set your budget at the beginning of the month and pay particular attention to areas where you’re likely to overspend (food for me). Make sure that you pay to your debts first.

List your frogs – Write a list of jobs that you have been putting off doing, no matter how big or small. If you’ve been meaning to make a phone call, or appointment, put some things away in a cupboard, go through a pile of post etc, then put it onto a list. Aim to cross one thing off the list each day in January and you’ll be amazed how much better you’ll feel as the month goes on.

Little savings – Even if you’re paying off a lot of debt, you should be aiming to put a little bit of something away as an emergency fund. I have decided to do the 1p savings challenge over 2019 with the theory being that on the days I can afford to add a bit more to the pot then I will, and on the days I can’t I should be able to find a penny or 5p piece lying about. I’ve printed off this chart and it’s on my fridge ready to go http://www.playpennies.com/media/playpennies-365-savings.pdf

Chill out – Whatever helps you to relax, make time for this – even if it’s only 15 minutes a day. Whether this is a hobby like reading, cooking, crochet or doing something for yourself like a long soak in the bath, or a mindfulness meditation. A small amount of time just for you leads to much better mental health.

Helping others – If you can, please consider donating to charity or to your local food bank. A pack of Basics sanitary towels costs 25p and would make a massive difference to a woman who needs them. If you are unable to donate money, then see if you can donate your time and/or expertise to someone who needs it. I will be asking lots for recipe ideas over the month.

Always be grateful – Take time every day to think about and write down three things in life that you are grateful for.

New to You – Before splashing out on new clothes, stuff for your house, magazines etc. consider whether or not you can get what you need by swapping with someone or going to a charity shop, using eB@y or Fakeb00k. For example, I regularly swap books and magazines with my mam, which saves us both money. If you’re anything like me, you might have a stash of stuff somewhere that you’ve forgotten about – clothes, craft kit etc. It’s worth going through this too, and easily as much fun finding things you’ve forgotten about as it is finding something new in a shop.

Get involved – Try and check in on here every day if you can, just a quick hello can be really motivating to others, and you may pick up some helpful hints and tips from the other Turtles.

Exercise – It’s more important than ever to get outdoors when there are so few daylight hours. If you are an absolute beginner then aim for 10 minutes of walking every day (no matter the weather), if you’re a regular then aim for 1 more session each week than you would usually do.

Sort it out – Your food cupboards and stores. Someone on the Small Things thread made a ‘use it up’ box of foodstuffs, filled with items that were lurking unloved and unused. I encourage you to do the same and aim to use 1 item from the box every time you cook. If you’re not sure what to do with the item then ask on here, and I have no doubt that the Turtles will be here to help.

As always, the challenge runs from midnight on the 1st Jan 2019 to 2359 on 31st January. Whether you’re going into the New Year with a bang, or more like me and intend to be asleep for the first 8 hours of it – we should all be able to make these small changes for the month ahead.

So - who will join me in January?
    Last edited by crazy_cat_lady; 29-12-2018 at 6:58 PM.
    NST March Wins #9 nsd = 7 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £997.60/£5750
Page 19
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Jan 19, 8:56 PM
    • 7,913 Posts
    • 80,490 Thanks
    greent
    Fab stuff, ccl!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1100/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £54.70/£500
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 12th Jan 19, 11:18 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 6,001 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Hello everyone

Dolly84 - do you have the recipe for the vegan cake please? My SIL is vegan and sure she would love that

CCL - congrats on the divorce! I plan on doing the same thing when I get mine

I have been ill the last few days so not been online. I haven't been very MSE the last few days I decided to get a new piercing in my ear (daith) mainly to help with migraines as I have heard it's really good. Does any one have any experience with this and has it helped? I also decided to top the freezer and car up on the CC so I shouldn't over spend on my budgets now and can keep myself topped up with food.

3 things I am grateful for today:
    1. My son giving me lots of cuddles he was nicknames Nurse Alfie today
    2. Tea!! best medicine lol
    3. Nasal decongestants

Found my fitness tracker watch so I can keep track of my steps, it also vibrates when I haven't moved for 20 mins. So hopefully this will help with the weight. I have stuck to SW the last week as well I did have a kebab on Thur but I had grill chicken and lots of salad.

C xx
    Read my diaryHere
    • worklifebalance
    • By worklifebalance 12th Jan 19, 11:39 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    worklifebalance
    Been missing for a few days. I always start off with good intentions then life takes over, must try harder! Slowly chipping away at my frog list and doing 10,000 steps most days. Stuck on 3 NSDs but hopefully will have a couple this week. Did my volunteer shift today at a local dog rescue, hard work but enjoy helping the poor dogs till we find them new homes.

Will try to check tomorrow! Keeps my mind focused!
    SPC #459 no 8 2015 £203 2016 £157 2017 £70
    starting mortgage £120,000 June 2012
    OP 2015 £5000, 2016 #57 £28866/ £25000
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 12th Jan 19, 11:45 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 28,737 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all

Congratulations CCL!!
    NSDs – Aiming for 10 as am going away on 22nd for a few days (Christmas treat) : still 7/ 10

Make plans for the month – Planned visit to Barcelona later in the month. Rail ticket & plane already paid for. Went out for lunch yesterday, was very pleasant & was already planned. Will plan more tomorrow.

Always pay your debts first – No debts but do use a cc which is paid in full every month...need to rein this in, spending has been frightful of late..CC paid off in full, now need to make sure it doesn't rack up to those levels this month. No spends today. Going to restart PAD payments to try & get cc balance down. Have restarted PAD, just one.
    [
    List your frogs – Started another very large frog this week, but am pleased with progress. (Clearing bedroom). During this also found a brand new sealed cover for the sofa bed promised to DD (could be 2 items out of the house!!) and also a brand new fitted jersey sheet....treasure. Sofa bed & cover gone to DDs house & installed there, very happy with that. May also get rid of 2 chairs that her housemates mum admired, tbc. Housemates mum wants chairs so second one leaving our house tomorrow...win win. Chair still here but will be leaving asap.

Little Savings – Put in a £2 coin that I had in my change the other day, will get cash out & pay in to bank. Joined 1p challenge..Will add to moneybox tonight. Also have some money in TCB, meant to access for Christmas but didn't so it should have mounted up. Need to work out how to withdraw it to obtain max benefit. Tomorrow for this. Still not done...DH gave me another £2 coin for the piggy bank.

Chill out – working on this. One of my frogs is to start doing some complex knitting...as I am supposed to be doing a 'knitalong'. So far have not even started. Pressure on knitalong as second section now posted online, have not even done tension square yet. hmm. Chilling out today with friends' visit & having a catch up re the holidays. Got out box of complex knitalong & looked at pattern. Frightening..Not much chilling today, just a bit this evening.

Helping others – nothing today, unless you count helping friend. Made a large chilli & a cake for DD's friends going round to her place & then for a night out.

Always be grateful – Grateful for today:

- more progress in clearing a room

- got sent a photo of DD's mates enjoying the cake

- packed up more decs & in labelled boxes

New to You – Have more than enough of pretty much everything clothes wise etc but still looking online, forced self not to purchase. Have told DH no clothes handbags or shoe purchases this year....he said he is the same Lets see if we stick to it! Still sticking to it, fairly well. Was very tempted last night to order yet more boots - didn't purchase in the end, but only because my card got declined...just checked bank account & realised not 1 but 2 payments actually went out to the company...need to get on to them on Monday

Get involved I'm here!

Exercise – Out into garden & did a lot of pruning, which is all the stuff done nearest the house, at the back. Then dragged all the branches to the rough area at the bottom of the garden. Not much today, weather too bad.

Sort it out – Need to do this & will be eating from stuffed freezers & cupboards for January. Ate something from freezer for supper & made do with stuff in fridge for lunch. DH helped with jammed freezer drawers - it was on his list...caused by me going into unlit garage & fighting off 2 dogs whilst removing/adding stuff to upright freezer, then quickly shutting door. Not easy..But now have inventory of that freezer other than top drawer, amazing amount of food it holds!! Still eating from stocks but will be minimal shopping tomorrow for fresh stuff. Just bought a small amount of fresh food, couple of YS items & vits. No sorting today yet but may do some before bed. Didn't do yesterday but will today. Sorting in sunroom, found lots of bags with things needed to go into food stocks in cellar..

GO Turtles!!!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 13th Jan 19, 7:37 AM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 26,981 Thanks
    Fmess
    Congratulations ccl you deserve a nice treat and I hope you get away with no hangover too!

I think I’m up to 7 SFDs at least, maybe 7, but I’ll call it 7 to be sure. Still recovering from my cold so early to bed all week and now I’m decorating this weekend which is knackering! Yesterday I spent on decorating and food but my remortgage money has been released and I’ve notified the builders that they can officially book me in for the extension and renovation work. Quite happy with this as I should still be completely mortgage free by 55 and with a much better home to live in
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Jan 19, 8:01 AM
    • 4,579 Posts
    • 39,788 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I decided to get a new piercing in my ear (daith) mainly to help with migraines as I have heard it's really good. Does any one have any experience with this and has it helped?
    Originally posted by chocolatelover93
    I got a daith piercing in the summer of 2017 and it was personally life changing in terms of my migraines. I used to get 2 or 3 a week, even with the preventative medication I took, but now I think I can still count on one hand the number of migraines I've had since, and when I get them they aren't as bad as they used to be. I have a headache but it's not debilitating like it used to be.

Congratulations ccl you deserve a nice treat and I hope you get away with no hangover too!
    Originally posted by Fmess

I think I feel better than I deserve to considering the quantity and variety of alcohol I threw down my neck yesterday. However, sensible head had obviously kicked in because I went to bed at 10pm having taken 2 paracetamol and drank a couple of pints of water. I don't feel great but I don't feel sick and I don't have a headache so I'm taking that as a win.
    Thank you all for your kind words - I'm looking forward to having the actual piece of paper in my hand, hopefully over the next week.
    Normal business shall resume today. I need to rid myself of 2 frogs as I owe one from yesterday, plus 2 days teeny PAD to the penny savings. I have tutoring today, and whilst I was intending a nsd - my tutee lives very close to icyland so I may pop in there for the bargainous cheese (thanks for the tip mothernerd)... I have the urge to bake cheese scones, which I have never, ever done in my life Dug out my Be-ro book and I'll see how I feel after tutoring.
    Keep the faith!
    NST March Wins #9 nsd = 7 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £997.60/£5750
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 13th Jan 19, 8:36 AM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 19,221 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    You want cheese scones ccl, you have cheese scones.
    It is also good to teach ds and dd how to make them for you.
    It comes up in food tech, so it is educational.

Glad to hear you still have a head. I am a wimp, I have had 2 hangovers since I had kids (DS1 is 17 this year), but hangover # 2 was the day before morning sickness started for DS3, so it all morphed into a 4 month queasy vomiting hangover and I am now terrified of the idea.

Today I am also scone-ing, and chocolate saucing, and caking - so lunchboxes and afternoon tea (without the divorce, although it sounds tempting - teaching starts tomorrow and DH is a stressed out , grumpy, shouty, annoying anxious git this weekend - I took my book, made a hot choc and went to bed and left him to himself last night- there is nothing I can do to make it better, so I removed myself from the conflict zone).

Right. so, apart from today's baking, there will be politics, coffee, hoovering, laundry, and I am sorting another pile of stuff for the tip. Ooops. Sorry. The recycling center. I have to remember I am not throwing stuff out, I am taking it to be reused, I hardly throw anything into the 'general waste' skip, it is all to the card/ wood/ electricals /batteries / glass /rubble/ containers and they claim they recycle over 85%, so I am not being bad by taking stuff there. Sadly they do not have a shop there, but it means I will not spend when I do go. At the moment it is just a hypothetical pile, not a car load, but that may change.
    So no spends planned, all stuff for lunchboxes sorted, bank accounts tidied, money shunted, washing machine on, -

time for a coffee methinks.

Be gentle to yourselves, lovely turtles, and enjoy your Sunday.
    MFW START1/5/16 £118,340 Oct17£109,49 12/17 £108,801/18 £108,39 3/18 £108,50 4/18£108,10 5/18£106,99 6/18£105,99.7/18£105,308/18£103,99 9/18£102,99 10/18£101,999 11/18£101,300 12/18£100,700,1/19 £99,999.99 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,999.99MFW 2019 #65
    Referal code- https://doblotto.com/r/1f87a3
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 13th Jan 19, 9:08 AM
    • 4,349 Posts
    • 40,428 Thanks
    dolly84
    ccl - congratulations and good to hear you are not too ill this morning.

chocolatelover - the recipe is super easy:

1.5 cups plain flour sifted
    1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted
    2tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup caster sugar
    1 can coconut milk

if you don't have cups there is a weight conversion. I reduced the cocoa powder a bit and put more flour in as cocoa powder is expensive. You just mix all the ingredients together in one bowl and put into a greased cake tin. Bake in the middle of the oven at 180 and check with a cocktail stick, when it comes out with just a bit of mixture attached it is ready - this will make it fudgy. If you don't want it fudgy wait till the stick comes out clean.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 13th Jan 19, 11:55 AM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 14,546 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Congrats on the divorce CCL

Haven't posted for a few days as I have been shattered. First week back at school and I was drained. Then DS2 became sick abut 10pm last night so shattered from being up every hour with him. Will not be in work tomorrow so will rest today and catch up on chores tomorrow whilst DS is recovering

NSD – 7/15 – an NSD Thursday and Friday. Normal Shopping on Saturday and it will be a NSD today as we are not going out so I will call it 8/15

Make plans for the month – nothing planned still – looks like the night out in Jan won’t happen. Had planned on going to see Mary Poppins this weekend with DH and kids but DS2 is sick so that will be postponed

Always pay your debts first – budget for food set – DD’s and spends all updated

List your frogs – started gutting DS2 room for decorating, also gutted cupboard in the utility which is the tupperware cupboard of doom

Little savings – keep topping up the 365 day penny challenge now at £23.47 so pleased with that

Chill out – have been really tired the last couple of nights so have just been chilling watching TV. Did a jigsaw last night with OH which was fun.

Helping others – will do

Always be grateful – 3 things I am grateful for are:

- for having an amazing laugh with my colleagues at lunch time on Friday
    - for having plenty of bedding so when DS2 was sick we could move him easily
    - for spending quality time with DH doing the jigsaw
    -
    New to You –nothing

Get involved – checking in

Exercise – steps done

Sort it out – used up some minute steak from the freezer and a baguette left over from Thursday to have for dinner last night with mushrooms onions and a pepper sauce – nom nom. Need to sort out the freezers today and pull the food for this weeks menu through to the utility freezer as I find this really helps me stay on track.

• ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 13th Jan 19, 12:35 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 7,125 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Congratulations CCL.
    Remember getting mine,in 1984,one of the best days ever.

Haven't been on here for a few days,don't know why,haven't been doing anything exciting.

NSD Up to9/20 so far.

Chill out. Reading,diamond painting, cross stitching.

Used up all the bits and pieces lurking in the cupboards and fridge.Everything fresh and in date......for now.

Grateful. Sitting inside in the warmth when it is pouring down outside.
    Seeing a rainbow,nature is wonderful.
    Home made leek and potato soup for lunch.
    E-bay sales going well.

ilovetea xx
    #17 Make £2019 in 2019. £723.77
    • Dickenslass
    • By Dickenslass 13th Jan 19, 1:19 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Dickenslass
    Thank you Turtles!! A lot of gratitude from this toddler-turtle for CCLs rules this month. We’re not quite halfway through the month and I have cleared three-mega-frogs that have been causing me anxiety because they weren’t yet done for about 5 months!! If only I could tell the September-me to stop worrying that I didn’t get around to them during the summer break and just to get on and do them!! One of them will generate a much needed multiple-hundred pound payback from an organisation now I have successfully jumped through enough hoops! Only one cost any cash to do. They really were just about applying myself and doing the tasks. Tick, tick, tick!
    To celebrate I have explored the go advanced button nothing scares me now!
    Alongside these mega frogs i’ve ticked off quite a few common or garden sized ones and a few of the tadpoles too! And managed some NSDs (need to count later) and done some PAD and not as much exercise as I wanted yet, but I have been ill so the time was probably best invested in the frogs!
    I think what I have learned is embarrassingly simple...doing the tasks takes time...and if you want to do the tasks you have to make the time! Making the time sometimes means compromising and letting other things slip a bit but just don’t take your eye off them for more than a day or so, and you can recover the slippage without causing more frogs to develop. I invested in a couple of extra taxis this week but it meant I got everywhere I needed to, and it was never done without consideration. I ate cereal for dinner a couple of nights because I was so engrossed in the frog-fighting I didn’t want to cook. A few times when I was procrastinating fighting the frog I actually got totally random other frogs sorted too! But overall i’m gobsmacked to have made such progress at home alongside some trying work days and a nasty cold to boot. Off to the sofa with a cuppa to celebrate!
    Thank you all for the encouragement that comes from reading along and hearing how you are all progressing. Here’s to the next half of the month!!!
    • Robi90
    • By Robi90 13th Jan 19, 1:48 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Robi90
    Still suffering from a cold but as I've been resting in bed it just means I haven't been out spending money.

NSDs : 7/10

Chill Out: Been resting and watching a lot of Netflix shows/films that have been on my list for ages.

List your frogs I've finally sorted out my jewellery box which was becoming the place I threw in all sorts of bits and bobs. There's some old silver Tiffany jewellery I need to clean which is another frog on my list!

Little Savings Found 20p in my room which I added to my money box.

Grateful for:
    Lemon and honey
    My spiced white cocoa yankee candle
    Sundays in bed
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 | 1 debt vs 100 days chapter 31
    £799 - FD Personal Loan £500/ £500 FD Overdraft £4700/£5700 MBNA credit card
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Jan 19, 4:34 PM
    • 5,513 Posts
    • 43,850 Thanks
    DawnW
    OH and I both have the colds that are going around But at least slobbing around at home feeling rotten means no spending

NSDs - 4 / 10

Make plans for the month – Nothing today

Always pay your debts first – No debts now, and standing orders are set up for savings.

List your frogs – Dug up the leeks in the garden which looked a bit past their best. Now chopped and frozen

Little savings – I will look through my purse in a minute, and remove any 1p, 2p and 5p coins for my savings tin

Chill out – Not much going on today, though would be more chilled if I felt better!

Helping others – Donation to food bank done for this month. I need to go through my clothes, as there seem to be things in there that I never wear. These can go to the CS.

Always be grateful – Grateful for home grown veg to put in the freezer, curry from the freezer so I don't need to cook and lemsips!

New to You – Nothing today
    Get involved – I'm here

Exercise – Took the dog for a walk, bit of time spent in the garden this morning.

Sort it out – Pretty unsorted today

• greent
    • By greent 13th Jan 19, 5:46 PM
    • 7,913 Posts
    • 80,490 Thanks
    greent
    Thank you Turtles!! A lot of gratitude from this toddler-turtle for CCLs rules this month. We’re not quite halfway through the month and I have cleared three-mega-frogs that have been causing me anxiety because they weren’t yet done for about 5 months!! <snipped>
    Alongside these mega frogs i’ve ticked off quite a few common or garden sized ones and a few of the tadpoles too! And managed some NSDs (need to count later) and done some PAD
    Originally posted by Dickenslass
    Fantastic news, Dickenslass!

NSDs - now 4

Make plans for the month – Must book appt for eyebrows (last done July/ Aug too) Appointment made for hair for Tues (yeay!)- as brow place is next door I will pop in there then

Always pay your debts first yep

List your frogs – 16 completed. Today's was dealing with a potted plant

Little savings Yep – have sto going out 1st monthly. 'Shrapnel' change and £2 coins used for holiday fund - nothing today

Chill out – even if it’s only 15 minutes a day Planning on exercise, reading – and ironing! Read earlier

Helping others –– added a rather nice and excellent condition large plant pot to CS bag

Always be grateful write down three things you are grateful for. getting more than halfway through the checking of paperwork for Company accounts today, mild weather, a big empty space in the garage!

New to You Nope

Get involved –check in Yep

Exercise Would like to average 10k steps/ day over the month [/COLOR] Absolutely rubbish step count today, but have been doing things like cleaning windows inside and out - that must count for something!!

Sort it out food cupboards and stores. NOW DONE!!!! OH finally making a start on the fishcakes in the freezer he bought who knows when?!

Spends (for my benefit to keep track)
    * Food - 147.34 (includes some things for students)
    * Bdays/Xmas - 10.70
    * House - 105.33 (includes bathroom scales, WM repair+ some things for students)
    * Children - 18.25 (inc new calc for DS2 + Chimp book for DS3)
    * Grrrrrr - 35.00 - penalty notice received by OH
    * Social - 78.45 (nand0s)
    * Travel - 84.20 (parking + fuel)
    * Barbers - 23.00 (DS1 + DS2)
    * Clothing - 11.00 (DS1 PJs)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1100/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £54.70/£500
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 13th Jan 19, 7:04 PM
    • 2,696 Posts
    • 27,136 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    ccl - That is great news.
    Hugs to those in need of them.
    NSD today - 9/20.
    Walked in the park.
    Made mince pies, so used up the last jar I had of mincemeat. These will be put in my lunchbox along with my sandwich during the week at work.
    Self care done.
    Dealt with a few frogs.
    Grateful for:
    Afternoon nap.
    Ice skating programme this evening.
    Lovely bath.
    Good night sleep.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2019
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST March 2019: WINS against the debt NSD 17/20
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 13th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    • 8,490 Posts
    • 65,265 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Ccl - yay! Hope you haven't suffered too much today.

Today I am grateful for a mini lie-in, for dd having a brilliant day in so many ways, for a working car, for kids round here for dd to play out with, for my stripey knitting, for a video call with step dd1, for my list of cmas-present-recipients-for-2019 on my phone so that I only buy something specifically for someone on the list, for lovely friends, for hm guacamole and crispy bacon for tea.
    NST March WINS #1; NSD 13/15; Ex 8/20; craft (12); remove 6 bagfuls (3)

Mortgage £16,858 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • ponypal
    • By ponypal 13th Jan 19, 7:52 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    ponypal
    Hi all! I'm on NSD 11.
    Grateful for being able to book a cheapy sun caravan holiday in July.
    Grateful for gift cards I got over xmas cheering me up in January.
    Went for a run last night which was 25 mins long, really chuffed to bits even though my ankles and toes are hurting today.
    Kept indoors today what is this weather, honestly! Hope you are all doing ok. I have my fingers crossed we get a bit of direct sunlight this week, the thick cloud cover has been giving me headaches.
    March 2019 NSD Total so far: 9
    Debt Free since December 2017
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Jan 19, 8:08 PM
    • 4,579 Posts
    • 39,788 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello
    Still surviving - just... bed time very soon though.
    It's been a quiet day. Did a couple of hours of tutoring for some much needed extra cash, and then did a tiny bit of housework (hoovering again and washing).
    Also managed a little PAD and forced myself to have a go at making cheese scones. They don't look great but they taste pretty nice and at least I have tried it once now Made a start on using up the pack of SR flour that's been lurking in the cupboard for months as well - now I just need to look for something else to make with the rest of it now.
    Not too many frogs dealt with today - I'm busy working my way through a large crochet project that I started but is difficult... it will be worth it.
    Have barely thought about work, which I'll suffer for by the time I get in tomorrow.
    However today I am grateful for:
    My tutoring job
    Box sets on tv
    Cheap cheese scones.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 13th Jan 19, 8:18 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 8,061 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi turtles!

Today I am feeling fairly lousy but CCL your posts have cheered me up. I wish my head ache was self inflicted

Today is NSD #10 I need to keep this up as I usually fall off the wagon about now , when I think Im doing ok, I reward myself by buying things Slightly counterproductive
    Used left over mince to make dinner & lunches for the rest of the week & made biscuits as the kids had no snacks in but that's about as well as I'm doing today. Hub has gone away & I just want to hide under my duvet, but my children are being devils. I suspect they feel lousy too. I will push back on with life/ frogs tomorrow
    Two items sold on the E Bay So posting those tomorrow.

Have a lovely evening all
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Jan 19, 8:24 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 30,418 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A NSD for me today. Last night I decided that the paperwork was the thing that most needed sorting. Luckily, at some point when I was more organised (probably one of the many times last year when I tried to get on top of the mess) I had put a lot of stuff into separate plastic envelopes. Had my labels at the ready and have discarded a small carrier bag's worth of stuff.

Still more to do but want my brain to be working for some of it. Shuffling it into order is fine but a few frogs to tackle.

Ventured downstairs - amazingly DS3 had put the sheets on the radiator and door as asked. I thanked him and he admitted to forgetting about it until I reminded him late last night so he did it quickly before hopping into bed. Dishwasher and washer emptied again - all but 3 of the plastic boxes came out fine so have them back in the sorting bag and put some of the remaining ones in with the pots and pans that had appeared ( plus another pizza box pile has appeared since I dealt with one yesterday - not going to grumble as it looks as if they have made some effort with the front room). I noticed it needed attention the other day but everything was trapped in corners and I couldn't do it.

More crispbread with cheese spread eaten, another 2 baked potatoes with mini curry and the last 2 apples. Forgot to take my notebook down but have had a quick look in the fridges (eggs marg, some veg, no milk, yoghurt). Veg bag has butternut squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes. Also have one savoy cabbage, leek (possibly 2), bag of carrots (from memory).

Found 3 and a half more packs of crispbread in the end cupboard (bb July 2017). I think as their mess has spread getting to the end near the stairs has become more difficult. Bags for life full of tools I brought back from mum's, kitchen utensils and spices moved to accommodate another shelf and food items were all just plonked on the floor rather than being decanted onto the shelves or properly under the stairs. Slowly regaining control of it.

Want to put another load of washing in, have a shower (really want a bath but still not sure about getting out again) and then will have another go at the paperwork.

Today I am grateful for thinking a few things through and setting priorities (Food, Clothes, Finances, Plan today, this week, this month, long term), for finding a new thriller serial on Utube and for lovely food.
    Changing to a Life of Simplicity and Serenity with added rainbows
    NST Mar #6 SFD 7/15 Food 127.55/£160 Travel £10.10/20 Ent 10/12 Diy 10/£10 Ext new glasses?
    No Debt No mortgage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,233Posts Today

6,178Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin