Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 11,466Posts
    • 78,730Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 7:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Page 79
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 14th May 19, 8:31 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    sheilavw
    looks like LL's made every one chuckle today with her John call!
    Like everyone's said there will be someone out there who is worth waiting for
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th May 19, 9:15 PM
    • 11,466 Posts
    • 78,730 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Re the GOT test...yeah, definitely.

I take it you've not seen Ep 5 yet.....again more questions and confusion. I won't say more and spoil it for you.

Perhaps all will be revealed in the finale.

Just tried watching the new drama Years and Years. Fell asleep.

Must admit some great drama on the box these days. Like you Chanie I like to record and watch later. I'm a bit of a binge watcher myself, saving programmes I fancy to savour at my leisure. I've still got The Bodyguard to watch.

Maman. I won't be sorry to see the back of Jeremy Vile (Kyle). Dreadful programme.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th May 19, 9:15 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 20,226 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Talking about voices, the 2nd builder rang me up before! Full on cocky Southerner, my back went straight up, but am still letting Him come to give me a quote, just as back up
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Oy, what are you trying to say about Southerners?!

Talking about voices.....one of my favourite voices belongs to John Hurt. It's got more gravelly with age but it's just so distinctive. And he's a Derbyshire lad born in Chesterfield. He has a "star" on one of our city centre pavements. It's a bit of a hall of fame for worthies ......he's next to one for Rolls Royce, so he's in good company.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    OMG, that is so weird as I meant to say earlier in my post that one man I have always loved the voice of is John Hurt.

I actually couldn't tell what accent he had but his voice was so amazing.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th May 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 20,226 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I stopped watching Game of Thrones quite a while back as I found it too violent but my husband was watching it last night and I caught some of it while I walked past. Yikes, still violent!

Why is it that anything on screen seems more fascinating when the sound is turned down? He had his headphones on watching it at the time and I kept standing transfixed at what was happening.
    Japanese Proverb
    • chanie
    • By chanie 15th May 19, 11:14 AM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 12,414 Thanks
    chanie
    Re the GOT test...yeah, definitely.

I take it you've not seen Ep 5 yet.....again more questions and confusion. I won't say more and spoil it for you.

Perhaps all will be revealed in the finale.

Originally posted by lessonlearned

I watched episode 5 last night, so I'm up to date. Without spoiling it for others, a few matters were concluded, but not the matters I was interested in.
    2019 savings on purchases 3090.63
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th May 19, 1:53 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 20,226 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I saw this article and it made me laugh.

https://womennow.in/average-40-year-old-woman-look-like/
    Japanese Proverb
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th May 19, 2:04 PM
    • 27,362 Posts
    • 116,310 Thanks
    candygirl
    Oy, what are you trying to say about Southerners?!

Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I'll tell you later, after the cocky cockney builder has been round
    No seriously, i'm not Southernist, but was expecting, the usual dulcet Northern tones when he rang, so was taken aback
    Last night's one was a reet Northern Lad.So blunt, I was actually laughing at him, but think He might be the one for the job
    T'other one's coming round at 6pm , will keep you posted hun
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 15th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 10,095 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Well a busy day here. Got a call from school to pick up sick GC. Then got a call from hospital, they have my referral for a dexa scan and although I haven't had the forms to fill in they had a cancellation could I go in? So off I dashed and here I am a week after GP referred me and I've had the scan and results instead of a 3 month wait. The less good news is I have osteopaenia so I am off to research that now.

I'm pretty sure someone on here has it? I remember when we were talking about dexa scans a few months ago so if anyone is an osteopaenia expert I am all ears if not bones.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th May 19, 6:49 PM
    • 27,362 Posts
    • 116,310 Thanks
    candygirl
    Omg Southern bloke was brill.Measured everything,suggestedstuff, is sourcing best value, n saidof course I can have a black n turquoise kitchen lol
    I'm eating my previous words
    As long as the price is right, He's the man for the job
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th May 19, 9:10 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 66,961 Thanks
    silvasava
    Wednesday - I got half way through the article and lost the will to live lol!
    Humpty it may have been me. I have osteopenia in the base of my spine. You need to increase any weight bearing exercise. Walking, Jogging, Skipping also you may be prescribed Calcium and Vit D. Sunshine is a good source of vit D but in moderation.
    HTH.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • maman
    • By maman 15th May 19, 9:53 PM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 118,132 Thanks
    maman
    Glad to hear you've had the test and results so quickly humpty . Sorry but no specific advice other than take care of yourself.

I expect your DS is 'over the moon' and 'on his way to Wembley' LL .

Bon Voyage sugarbaby .
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th May 19, 10:42 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 11,450 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Thank you all for your good wishes for my holiday

I will fill you all in when I get back
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 15th May 19, 11:40 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 4,887 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    Humpty- The good news is that it is osteopenia as less severe. Depending upon your T score (severity) you might have a small risk of increased fractures. To treat or not depends a lot on your own personal risk factors and percentage risk of a major fracture. the 10 year fracture risk is calculated using a frax calculator and depending on your score It may be that you do not need pharmacological treatment at all- only monitoring and self care.

The good news is that you can actively self manage it to prevent worsening and maintain bone density. You can do practical things weigh bearing exercises, stop smoking if applicable, limit caffeine/ alcohol if either are applicable and increase the calcium and vitamin d. I would recommend a vitamin d blood test by the gp to optimize the levels. Some people have really low levels and need more, but it is highly individual. Increase your amount of dietary calcium (rather than supplements as they may increase risk of kidney stones). If you are not keen on diary consider other vegan sources like fortified milks, almonds, kale and pak choi.

Practically knowing about your osteopenia allows you to look around your house and remove trip hazards. People overlook the physical hazards of rugs, rubbish left on stair steps and going up or down stairs overburdened (with massive baskets of linen). Having had more falls than a stunt artist get in the habit of holding rails on stairs as it prevents a lot of slips; especially outside of the home on highly polished granite and slippy historic stair cases.

here is a good article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5768298/

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/osteoporosis
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 16th May 19, 8:47 AM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 10,095 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Thanks for the good wishes and practical advice.

I don't drink or smoke so apparently that is good.
    I need to increase exercise, not easy as husband can't do any and hates me being away from him so this will be more challenging.
    I don't drink coffee which is also supposed to be good.
    The clinic are writing to doctor to ask him to prescribe vitamin d and calcium, I bought a bottle yesterday and will have the first prescription to check doses but I will probably just buy me own then as they are quite cheap.
    The clinic also want doctor to do a blood test, I assume that is to do with vitamin D levels. I will be a pin cushion shortly.
    I'm not a big dairy eater, cream makes me feel a bit sick, cheese gives me migraine and I just don't like milk. Fortunately I love almonds so I will be buying a big of them, thanks for the tip savingfortomorrow.

I do have history for falls, all my own fault as I rush round so I do need to be a bit more careful.

All in all I am grateful they did the test, I was planning on having it privately if the NHS wouldn't do it, and glad that I know. I just had this niggling feeling it might be a problem.

I'm off for my second hydrafacial soon so that will be nice.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th May 19, 9:35 AM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 20,226 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Omg Southern bloke was brill.Measured everything,suggestedstuff, is sourcing best value, n saidof course I can have a black n turquoise kitchen lol
    I'm eating my previous words
    As long as the price is right, He's the man for the job
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Hey, there is a reason why us cockneys are so cocky and confident.

Haha, just kidding, don't spread this around but I was actually born in Birmingham!

Wednesday - I got half way through the article and lost the will to live lol!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    I know, who on earth wrote that! I didn't know whether to laugh or to be offended.

Hello Ladies,

Thank you all for your good wishes for my holiday

I will fill you all in when I get back
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    Have a lovely time.
    Japanese Proverb
    • maman
    • By maman 16th May 19, 1:51 PM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 118,132 Thanks
    maman
    Another beautiful day here.

Went out for a brisk hour's walk this morning. This is a weekly arrangement with a group of friends, followed by coffee. Someone measured it on their step counter app. and we do just under 4 miles.

It was sunny but cool enough that walking wasn't uncomfortable. I wore a tee shirt and leggings. I took a top with me but didn't need it.

This evening is my first night in this week so I'm looking forward to it.

Last week I took several bags of stuff to the CS so it's time to start filling some more. I'm working through our travel books as we really don't use them any more and there's always something in the wardrobe that needs culling. It's a useful exercise anyway even if it just means I know what's in the cupboards and they get tidied up!
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 16th May 19, 3:35 PM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 10,095 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Had my facial and feel nice and fresh and relaxed. Didn't take my car, thought the walk would be good for me. No GC tonight so going to chill, I actually feel so relaxed I could go to bed now but think it might be a tad early.
    • maman
    • By maman 16th May 19, 3:48 PM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 118,132 Thanks
    maman
    Glad you enjoyed your facial humpty. I know how you feel. I often feel myself drifting off during a treatment. I wish a masseuse (or masseur even!) could come round at bedtime!

Instead of wardrobes I decided to go through my kitchen cupboards and drawers. Only a small bag for the CS, some for the bin and now they all look well ordered and I know exactly what's in there. I'm going to sort through my store cupboard too (in my guest room??) to check exactly what's in there and now I have space for some of it in the kitchen.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 20,226 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had to get the blood tests and I have my period as well so I started feeling really light headed and dizzy when I got in. I had to lie down for a couple of hours.

I feel better now, luckily.

I am going to have a lavender oil bath and use up a face mask and then put on body lotion tonight.

One good thing is that my husband got us tickets to see Andre Rieu next year in London!!! I've always wanted to see him as I have watched a lot of his concerts on TV.

Instead of wardrobes I decided to go through my kitchen cupboards and drawers. Only a small bag for the CS, some for the bin and now they all look well ordered and I know exactly what's in there. I'm going to sort through my store cupboard too (in my guest room??) to check exactly what's in there and now I have space for some of it in the kitchen.
    Originally posted by maman
    I did some organising too today as I bought more of those utensil storage boxes to organise my toiletries. I have far too much stuff!

I need to make an effort to use up what I have before buying anything more. It's a lot easier to see what I have now it is all laid out flat.
    Japanese Proverb
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 16th May 19, 4:43 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 4,887 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    humpty- a lot of the vegan "milks" have calcium. have a look at the vegan sources as it might give you a few ideas. Im not vegan but you get recipe ideas and "steal" some of the ideas of introducing calcium.

wednesday- getting you stuff in utensils is great. I had to use suit cases. I get over whelmed if i have too much out so you might find a quick daily grab kit might work and replace in new colours you want to target. Everyone works in their own way.

this morning got all the bills paid, shopping done and car booked in and that was before leaving bed! It is great you can get so much done before 10 am and still feel like to got a sleep in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,896Posts Today

6,496Users online

Martin's Twitter