Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 11,372Posts
    • 77,941Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 7:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Page 67
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 16th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 9,640 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Bought myself two news tops in Sainsburys and some new beach shoes. Still not beach weather here, heavy seamist this morning and it is still quite dull now. The forecast is improving so hopefully the weekend will be better.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 16th Apr 19, 6:42 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 2,451 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Hi fabbers

Just catching up on posts..

I ended up buying most of the superdrug naturally radiant range the other day as they are on offer at the moment, and my usual expensive stuff seems to be getting less and less effective at the moment, so it was relatively cheap to give it a go. I brought the hot cloth cleanser, polish, glycolic pads, day cream and night cream (first time I've ever had two different moisturisers) so we shall see how that goes...

I just want to get my hair makeover over and done with now, only just over a week to go
    "The harder you work for something, the greater youíll feel when you achieve it"
    • chanie
    • By chanie 16th Apr 19, 7:57 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie
    Hi fabbers,

I hope you are all enjoying the run up to th bank holiday weekend.

The Sainsburys TU sale is on, so I ordered lots of undies for the children, saving nearly £20.

On Saturday, I took DD6 to afternoon tea, through a groupon voucher and whilst the experience was wasted on a 6 year old, it wasnít wasted on me and is now one of my favourite experiences. The hotel were hosting a football team whilst were were there and one of the players was looking st me as I was walking by..... I was wearing my linen jumpsuit and animal print ballet flats.

The climate change protests in London have coincided with my efforts to Ďup my green gameí. We already recycle, take our own bags shopping and a few other things, but recently, I have been thinking that we can, and should, do more. So, last month I bought a pair of reusable sanitary knickers and this afternoon, my reusable cotton wool face pads arrived. I am impressed with both, so far. My next task is to find some reusable sandwich wraps for thr childrenís packed lunches.

We have a couple of nice day trips planned over the bank holiday weekend, which I am looking forward to, plus a family get together on Easter Sunday.

Hope you all have some nice things planned, too.
    2019 savings on purchases £2758.63
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 17th Apr 19, 5:03 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 20,498 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Another who says thank you for the heads up on TU clothing.

I'm off on my annual Australian trip to see my parents and need to pick up a few things.

I'll need to get out everything I have so far and do a list.

I may also pick up a few things for work, if something catches my eye.

My wardrobe generally needs a bit of a freshen up but I don't want to go mad.

Your birthday celebrations sound lovely sugarbaby. I love the fact that they go on for days
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 17th Apr 19, 7:00 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Flo61
    I have a colleague who has just been through a traumatic event and is very shaken. i would like to put together a pamper box for her to try and lift her spirits. I canít afford to spend much so would appreciate any ideas for low cost items/freebies if they exist anymore...
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Apr 19, 7:08 AM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 66,736 Thanks
    silvasava
    Flo61- so sorry to read about your friend. What a lovely thing to do for her., can only suggest a trawl through the CS to see what you could pick up. Maybe bake her something nice? Sorry not much help.
    Thanks for the heads up on Sainsbury's - going to pop in there this morning
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 17th Apr 19, 7:15 AM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 8,917 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    I have a colleague who has just been through a traumatic event and is very shaken. i would like to put together a pamper box for her to try and lift her spirits. I canít afford to spend much so would appreciate any ideas for low cost items/freebies if they exist anymore...
    Originally posted by Flo61

What a lovely idea

I would have a look in primark and savers as both have cheap pamper ideas. Maybe a nice bath bomb, face mask, nail polish and one of those chocolate things on a stick you put in milk to make hot chocolate? Could even put fluffy socks in there. There are some really cute gift bags or sparkly boxes you can pick up in card factory to put it in.

I did a big albeit more expensive version for a friends birthday and whilst I bought larger products from the body shop I went to primark for all the little bits and most were about £1.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 17th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 32,229 Posts
    • 63,627 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I too like Sainsbury's clothes. I have bought several things recently, but the bravest purchase was a swimsuit My husband would love to go on a spa weekend, doesn't interest me in the slightest but I thought I would accompany him and I could sit in the hot tub even if I do nothing else.

I hate water and feel uncomfortable in a swimsuit (because of my weight, even though I have lost a lot).

I also would feel uncomfortable having something like a massage. Might manage some sort of facial, but I am slightly nervous about that too.

Anyway, here is the swimsuit, it hides a multitude of sins . I wish iI looked like the model!

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Magenta-Purple-Lace-Tummy-Control-Swim-Dress/134873245-Purple?searchTerm=:newArrivals:type:Cover%20ups:ty pe:Swimsuits&searchProduct=
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 17th Apr 19, 7:37 AM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 35,820 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Flo61 - that is a lovely thing to be planning. I too was thinking along the lines of sachets of face mask and hair mask/treatment, sachets of hot chocolate, lip salve, agree it is worth a scout around the CS if you have time. Perhaps a few fun, wrapped sweets/choccies, like from the pick n mix or the ? for a quid section.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • chanie
    • By chanie 17th Apr 19, 7:48 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie

Sorry about your colleague. Your idea is very thoughtful and Iím sure it will be much appreciated. Here are a few ideas

Bar of chocolate/favourite snack/Easter egg
    Sheet face mask
    Pair of socks
    Adult colouring in book/magazine
    Scented candle
    Nail varnish
    Hand cream/foot cream
    Book

Shops: pound shops, home bargains, savers, Wilko, b & m.

Let us know how you get on.
    2019 savings on purchases £2758.63
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 17th Apr 19, 9:15 AM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 9,640 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    My two favourite things that people gave me when I was ill was a big jar of home made chicken soup probably not for everyone but I hadn't been eating in hospital and it was so tasty and fresh and I loved it. The 2nd was a tub of talc with a big powder puff on top, you know the sort of thing you see glamorous Hollywood stars using in 50s films. Somehow it just felt luxurious to me.

Probably not very helpful but I think it just illustrates that it really depends on the person. I think a face mask, maybe some bright nail varnish or a bar of my favourite chocolate would all cheer me up.

I think the main thing is that the thoughtful gesture should mean alot to her, it is a lovely thing to do.

Debenhams has an Easter event on this weekend, they often have some good offers on beauty stuff and if you ask on the beauty counters they will often give small samples.
    Last edited by humptydumptybits; 17-04-2019 at 9:18 AM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 17th Apr 19, 9:48 AM
    • 32,229 Posts
    • 63,627 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    For the pamper box: some nice moisuiriser, nice jams and marmalades, biscuits. I personally would love some flowers, they would brighten up my day when I looked at them.
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Apr 19, 10:18 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 19,315 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    On Saturday, I took DD6 to afternoon tea, through a groupon voucher and whilst the experience was wasted on a 6 year old, it wasnít wasted on me and is now one of my favourite experiences. The hotel were hosting a football team whilst were were there and one of the players was looking st me as I was walking by..... I was wearing my linen jumpsuit and animal print ballet flats.
    Originally posted by chanie
    Ooh, get you! What did he look like?

I was watching a fashion tutorial on YouTube (called something like over 40s fashion) and she was saying that animal print never goes out of style so it is good to have some accessories with the print. I bought an umbrella and a bag but may look out for some ballet flats now.

How nice of you.xxx
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 17th Apr 19, 1:23 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 11,213 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Flo6 whatever you end up putting in the pamper box will be greatly appreciated. You have lots of very useful suggestions for what to put in the pamper box.

My sisters H & J have returned home. Karaoke was cancelled last night, so we had a night at home instead. I am going to Birmingham tomorrow for 5 days to continue celebrating my birthday and Easter with other members of my family and my other 2 sisters who were unable to come to London.

I have piles of laundry to get done today but I am on my 3rd load. 2 loads have been washed and dried and hanged up or folded and put in the relevant drawers.

I will pack my suitcase tonight, as I have a regular Hospital appointment tomorrow morning before I will be leaving to catch my train from Euston to Birmingham.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 17th Apr 19, 2:32 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 9,640 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Sugarbaby I am going away for Easter as well. I've DH and 2 grandsons to sort out, I've spent the afternoon on washing, ironing, packing. I'm starting to wonder if it is all worth the effort, I'm exhausted before we start the journey. I'm just taking a break so I'm sure I'll be feeling more positive in half an hour. I think I've got most of it done so ready for a quick getaway in the morning.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 17th Apr 19, 2:42 PM
    • 27,309 Posts
    • 116,009 Thanks
    candygirl
    WEDNESDAY I love animal print, have a few tops, n a handbag in it Mum despises it though
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 66,736 Thanks
    silvasava
    Didn't get anything in Sainsbury's - I was after the pink jean jacket they'd advertised but they only had it in dark blue denim and lilac - both nice but I've got a denim one and lilac is not a colour I would wear. They also had some lovely sandals striped in red, white and blue but the ones that fitted me were just a bit too small on my right foot and ai walked out of a size larger Still I did get a lovely Bardot top for my holiday in Bon Marche so I'm happy with that.
    Humpty and Sugar - have a lovely time on your Easter breaks
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Moll
    • By Moll 17th Apr 19, 9:02 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 3,255 Thanks
    Moll
    Have a lovely holiday Humpty and Sugarbaby x SO PLEASED for you Sugar that you got your Pip and some extra money in the bank. i havent been around this week , as its been one family birthday after another , Yours is the day after my DD,
    Last edited by Moll; 17-04-2019 at 9:26 PM.
    • Moll
    • By Moll 17th Apr 19, 9:21 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 3,255 Thanks
    Moll

I cant really add to all the excellent things already suggested , but that is so nice of you xx
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 18th Apr 19, 5:16 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 20,498 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Moan alert...

My friend has been poorly and rang me saying now that I've had this diagnosis, I realise hoe important it is to spend time with the people I care about etc etc

So, here I am trying to organise seeing her , I put seeing my DS on hold til I hear from her and I've had nothing back.

I know she was due to come out of hospital this week, I'm not asking her to organise anything, just a simple, yes, come and see me this weekend. Or, no, I'm not up to it...but nothing.

I don't mind making effort for friendships, but surely it shouldn't be me making all the effort?? Or am I just being a b*tch?

Now DS has planned to go and see his Dad, so it's going to be a very long (and propbably lonley) weekend now...

Moan over....

On a brighter note, it's hair cut day and mooch around the shops tomorrow, and I've found a couple of meet up groups I'm going to join.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,870Posts Today

7,392Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin