Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 11,364Posts
    • 77,871Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 7:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Page 66
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Apr 19, 4:25 AM
    • 11,364 Posts
    • 77,871 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies..

I'm awake bright and early this morning, I'll probably need a nap later.

First things first.......Happy Birthday SUgarbaby. have a lovely day.

Maman. Enjoy your trip, hope you get good weather.

SFT. Well done on thinking about the changes you want to make, you can do it......

I think many of us get so subsumed in the day to day, running around like mad things and caring for the world and his dog that sometimes we lose ourselves along the way. And that's when Frumpdom can creep up on us.......

Sometimes we do need to take a step back and say "what about me". . And yes, that might mean stepping out of our comfort zone. We all need to shake things up a bit sometimes.

Busy day today, but feeling happy and positive. WW tonight.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 15th Apr 19, 5:08 AM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 20,484 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Happy Birthday Sugarbaby
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 15th Apr 19, 5:37 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    sheilavw
    Happy Birthday Sugarbaby, enjoy your day
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 15th Apr 19, 6:18 AM
    • 32,227 Posts
    • 63,603 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Happy Birthday Sugarbaby xxx

I have had a dreadful night with hardly any sleep . Combination of restless legs, itchy feet and a blocked nose. It was the blocked nose that was the worse, I just could not breathe. I found some nose drops in our medicine stock and it did ease it quite a lot.

Still couldn't sleep, so got up at 4.30 and decided to stick some bread mix in the breadmaker. When I turned it on, it made a strange noise and I noticed the whizzer bit that mixes the dough was broken. I have attempted to mix it by hand, never done it before. I am just waiting for it to prove, see what happens. I will also buy a new breadmaker today!

Anyway, I hope the day goes well for all of us
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 15th Apr 19, 6:36 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 35,819 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Good morning everyone and a very happy birthday to Sugarbaby I hope that you have a great day.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Apr 19, 7:08 AM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 66,705 Thanks
    silvasava
    :Morning All & Happy Birthday Sugarbaby.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 15th Apr 19, 8:55 AM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Happy birthday Sugarbaby, hope you have a lovely day.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Apr 19, 9:07 AM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 11,179 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Thank you all so much for your birthday wishes.

Last night I went to the pub for Karaoke with my sister J, my sister H, my younger son and daughter, my niece M and her partner B and we were joined by two of my friends.

We all had so much fun together. I sang 2 songs, my sister J 2 songs and my sister H one song.

I was made a fuss of by the Karaoke DJ and everyone sang Happy Birthday to me.

I was being offered drinks all night, but because I almost never drink alcohol, I only accepted the first 2 bottles of water.

I danced my legs off and had such a fantastic evening with my family and friends.

My birthday plan for today is a meal at Frankie and Benny's in the Strand with my 2 sisters and my younger daughter.

I have been awarded my PIP. I received back pay into my bank account today of just under 800. What a birthday present. I cannot stop smiling. This is definitely going to be a day to remember for all the right reasons.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 15th Apr 19, 9:15 AM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Wow that is a fantastic birthday present and it sounds like you are having a great time. Congratulations.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 15th Apr 19, 10:21 AM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I've just fitted my new water filter cartridge. I hate doing it, it is plumbed in under the sink and I have to turn the water off, unscrew the filter and swap the cartridges. The first time I did it I managed to cause a leak and had to get an emergency plumber out and 20 years later I am still nervous when I do it. That's out of the way for another 6 months so I am a happy bunny.
    • star trek fan
    • By star trek fan 15th Apr 19, 11:09 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    star trek fan
    Happy Birthday Sugarbaby.

I hate tights too. Not very fab, but have taken to wearing leggings under my skirts (never wear trousers), skirts are always calf length. More MSE as they last longer than a pair of tights. Pop socks for those days when I wear shoes rather than long boots. Glad of them this morning as it's a bit windy down on the beach.
    #77 Make 2019 in 2019 164.04 / 2019
    Weight loss challenge#11 5 lb
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Apr 19, 12:12 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 19,261 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Damn, I jinxed myself as I got my period this morning!

I hope it has gone by Wednesday night as that is the concert. I need to book the restaurant today as we are going for a meal first.

Speaking of tights I saw that I still have 4 pairs in my chest of drawers that I haven't been able to fit into for years! I am going to check how they fit today.

I always wear leggings but have noticed how baggy they are looking lately, obviously because of the weight loss over the past couple of years. I must need to buy some new leggings in a size 14 now.

I've noticed my skin on my face is looking a lot better since I started using the new products. I think it is from drinking lemon water in the morning too.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • chanie
    • By chanie 15th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    chanie
    Happy Birthday, Sugar.

I think the Sainsbury TU 25% off clothing event is tomorrow (we had a false start with the dates earlier in the thread), but it normally coincides with the bank holiday.
    2019 savings on purchases 2758.63
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Apr 19, 2:20 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 19,261 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just checked and my leggings are a size 18, no wonder they keep falling down. I tried the tights, one was too tight, one had a hole and the other two pairs fit me.

I realised that one of my maxi dresses in my wardrobe is is a size 18 too so that can go as well.

I just ordered some black size 14 Super Sculpt leggings from Asda. I also got two new black maxi dresses and a blue snake print box bag.

I was going to wear my new Phase Eight maxi dress but it is way too dressy.

I am going to wear my short black dress, black tights, black boots navy blue vest top and my New Look black cardigan on Wednesday night. The blue top has silver studs on it. I'm going to use my new purse with a skull on it as a clutch bag.
    Japanese Proverb
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 15th Apr 19, 5:13 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Happy Birthday, Sugar.

I think the Sainsbury TU 25% off clothing event is tomorrow (we had a false start with the dates earlier in the thread), but it normally coincides with the bank holiday.
    Originally posted by chanie

I was just thinking yesterday that I'd managed to miss it. Thanks for the update.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Apr 19, 8:11 AM
    • 11,364 Posts
    • 77,871 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies.....

Thanks for the heads up on the TU reductions. In a similar vein, if anyone is house fabbing mode Homebase have some offers on paint and garden stuff too.

WW last night. Another 1lb off this week. . Feeling good.

Acupuncture today, followed by a trip to Aldi to stock up on fruit and veg. The sun is shining so maybe a potter in the garden later.

Making really good headway on the decluttering,

I have been watching the MK series. There was one about a widow who was struggling but after she had done the whole MK thing she really began to blossom again. The difference in her was absolutely amazing, she looked 10 years younger and her joire de vie was evident. MK talked about how decluttering can play an important role
    In dealing with grief and loss.

I must say I am starting to feel so much better these days. Saying goodbye to "stuff" is very liberating. As daft as it sounds I think this is why I am finally losing weight.

Before I felt like I was carrying the world on my shoulders, now I feel lighter and freer in every sense.

And of course.....the sunshine helps......
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 16th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 11,179 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    My Birthday yesterday
    Hello Ladies,

I had a really lovely birthday yesterday. I got some really gorgeous gifts and cards from my children and sisters. I got a total of 200 birthday money from family.

My sister J and H, my younger daughter and my younger son and I went to Frankie & Benny's on The Strand. We all enjoyed our chosen meals. I had sparkling water, my sister J had diet coke and the other 3 had alcoholic cocktails. We all had so much fun together.

I had bought 2 Groupons for 2 people so that cut the cost of the meal down by 63.78 and my sister Hope paid the rest of the bill that was not covered by the 2 Groupons of 63.70. My sister also paid for the Uber to take us all home.

I got another bunch of roses which are a deep yellow and orange. My older daughter informed me that these roses are sun blushed roses. They are absolutely beautiful. Both of my large crystal vases are in use.

I had only recently replaced my quite ordinary inexpensive glass vases for beautiful crystal vases from eBay in anticipation of receiving bouquets of flowers for my birthday.

I am going to Karaoke this evening with my sister J, my younger son and daughter, so more planned fun for us all
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 16-04-2019 at 3:18 PM.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 16th Apr 19, 9:49 AM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Been quite money saving, the cartridge for my water filter costs nearly 30, I bought another brand which said it would fit and it was 17 so a good saving and the water is tasting quite good. I still prefer tap water from my home city but this is bearable with the filter, vile without.

I'm going off to Sainsburys in a minute, both big GS staying as its school holiday, where do teenage boys put all the food? Thin and fit but they are like bottomless pits, I feel like I need locks on the cupboards!

My new haircut seems good, very easy to dry and style this morning and looks almost as good as when hairdresser did it. After 3 years looking for a new hairdresser I think I've finally found one.

Sugarbaby your birthday sounds fabulous. Fresh flowers are lovely and lift the spirits I think.

Very sad watching what has happened to Notre Dame, I hope they can restore it. Must feel very sad in Paris today; I thought the scenes of people praying and singing hymns in the streets of Paris last night were very moving.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Apr 19, 10:34 AM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 19,261 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have been watching the MK series. There was one about a widow who was struggling but after she had done the whole MK thing she really began to blossom again. The difference in her was absolutely amazing, she looked 10 years younger and her joire de vie was evident. MK talked about how decluttering can play an important role
    In dealing with grief and loss.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I cried at that episode. Very moving.

Hello Ladies,

I had a really lovely birthday yesterday. I got some really gorgeous gifts and cards from my children and sisters. I got a total of 200 birthday money from family.

My sister J and H, my younger daughter and my younger son and I went to Frankie & Benny's on The Strand. We all enjoyed our chosen meals. I had sparkling water, my sister J had diet coke and the other 3 had alcoholic cocktails. We all had so much fun together.

I had bought 2 Groupon for 2 people so that cut the cost of the meal down by 63.78 and my sister Hope paid the rest of the bill that was not covered by the 2 Groupons of 63.70. My sister also paid for the Uber to take us all home.

I got another bunch of roses which are a deep yellow and orange. My older daughter informed me that these roses are sun blushed roses. They are absolutely beautiful. Both of my large crystal vases are in use.

I had only recently replaced my quite ordinary inexpensive glass vases for beautiful crystal vases from eBay in anticipation of receiving bouquets of flowers for my birthday.

I am going to Karaoke this evening with my sister J, my younger son and daughter, so more planned fun for us all
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    Sounds like you had a lovely time!
    Japanese Proverb
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Apr 19, 12:25 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 66,705 Thanks
    silvasava
    Sounds like you had a really smashing day Sugarbaby
    Ive been using my glycolic face mask gel every other day - seems to be improving my skin. I've also used the Aldi Caviar cream on the days I use the gel but my retinol cream on the odd days so fingers crossed for some improvements to my face & neck. It doesnt help that most of the summer I am outdoors and although use a high protection from sun and wind it does take its toll
    Ive a friends birthday party to go to on Saturday evening - she's booked a function room and a band. Think I may wear a dress for a change just to prove I've got legs lol! Ive also been tasked to make some coffee & walnut butterfly cakes for it
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin