Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    • 11,209Posts
    • 76,245Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 8:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 29-12-2018 at 8:52 AM.
Page 19
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jan 19, 5:02 PM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 17,893 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I smoked a little when I was a teenager and I (stupidly!) started smoking again when I was in my thirties. I stopped after my Mum had a heart attack quite young in her early fifties. It was about 11 years ago now that I stopped. I actually found it quite difficult considering I didn't smoke all that much!
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    • 27,244 Posts
    • 115,572 Thanks
    candygirl
    I gave up smoking in 1998, n can't bear the smell of it now
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    • 7,909 Posts
    • 80,488 Thanks
    greent
    Just popping in to say 8lb lost since 1st Nov (not bad for paying absolutely no attention from 11th Dec until 3rd Jan to what I ate - which was a lot of calorific food!!! ) Scales actually show a couple more lb, but I like that to be confirmed for a few days before I'll add it to total

Hair appointment made for Tues - just a dry cut to check out this hairdresser. Will just aim for a trim to neaten it up - and see if they listen..... Hairdresser is next to beauty place so will pop in there afterwards and book brow appointment
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1100/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £54.70/£500
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 13th Jan 19, 7:24 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Sat here feeling bit sorry for myself. We were supposed to be going out for a meal and DH is too ill so no going out and too late to defrost meat so Sunday dinner ended up being a bacon butty. I should be feeling sorry for DH as he isn't well but I'm feeling a bit selfish, not nice.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Jan 19, 7:42 PM
    • 3,848 Posts
    • 35,523 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Sat here feeling bit sorry for myself. We were supposed to be going out for a meal and DH is too ill so no going out and too late to defrost meat so Sunday dinner ended up being a bacon butty. I should be feeling sorry for DH as he isn't well but I'm feeling a bit selfish, not nice.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    Have a virtual hug, sorry that DH is poorly, but don't beat yourself up because you feel disappointed, you are only human.

In the dim and distant past when we were not well off I had been looking forward to going out with my then OH for his birthday, but he was poorly and slept all evening. I miserably watched TV with something very mundane to eat and then on seeing the evening news worried myself sick all night having seen the news reports of the Birmingham pub bombings knowing that my young DSis should have been in one of them. Fortunately she too was poorly and stayed at home. For obvious reasons this is still fresh in my mind all these years later.

Be as nice to yourself as you would be to others, hope that you both feel better/happier soon.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Jan 19, 8:06 PM
    • 27,244 Posts
    • 115,572 Thanks
    candygirl
    Aww sorry your Hubby's ill HUMPTY. Hope you can rearrange the meal x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Retired lady
    • By Retired lady 13th Jan 19, 10:58 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Retired lady
    Sorry you’re feeling a bit down Humpty - take care. Hope Hubby gets better soon. x
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Jan 19, 4:53 AM
    • 11,209 Posts
    • 76,245 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    Sorry to hear that. Hope things improve soon.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 11,209 Posts
    • 76,245 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Only managed 15:9 fast yesterday. I had to cave in and surrender to the evening munchies. I think it's because I had dinner too early so today maybe try to have a light snack at around 4pm and dinner a bit later.

The good news is I've lost another 1lb and blood sugar levels have improved, so fasting is definitely working. And it's not too difficult.

Dentist and Aldi later today but first a bit of a mini spa morning,

Instead of being a sofa sloth last evening and wasting time on tinternet I gave the study one last tidy. I did sleep better so I think reducing screen time really helped.

I have bought some Armageddon supplies, so put them in a couple of plastic crates under my desk. Easy to get too and warm and dry.

I must admit now that the downstairs has been de cluttered I really like my new streamlined rooms, especially the sitting room. I am quite busy this week so couple of days respite from decluttering and then hopefully start the attic bedroom later in the week.

With a bit if luck if a I lose that 2 stones by July I will be able to declutter my wardrobe again.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 14th Jan 19, 10:36 AM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Thanks everyone, he is a bit better this morning. The overall direction is down but we make the most of good days. In a few weeks it will be 27 years since his diagnosis and of course he wasn't well before that so it has been a long haul and amazing that he is as well as he is. I must count my blessings. My cold is almost gone, cold sore still looming large but easier to disguise with a bit of concealer so I am off for a shop soon. Haven't done a proper shop since Christmas so longing for some fresh fruit and veg, been using frozen veg and the fruit bowl currently has one sad looking apple. I must write a proper shopping list, I usually do it on the fly but I need to be a bit organised.

Hope everyone is having a fab day.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Jan 19, 11:02 AM
    • 19,314 Posts
    • 115,760 Thanks
    maman
    Good to hear that you're (and DH) feeling a bit better humpty.

Decluttering going well LL but good idea to take a break. I'm amazed that tidying has taken on a new lease of like since MK was shown on Netflix. I'm confident it's symptomatic of the way the country is at the moment. There's been lots of what we used to call retail therapy which has resulted in cluttererd homes which feel claustrophobic so a good clear out is quite cathartic.

What pleases me is that people are getting more conscious of recycling/repurposing things. It's as if CS shopping has/is losing its stigma a bit like happened to shopping in Aldi/Lidl a couple of years ago.

I took a big bag to the CS on Friday but it was mostly bedding from my tidy up of the airing cupboard.

Back soon.
    • vodkawitch11
    • By vodkawitch11 14th Jan 19, 11:04 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    vodkawitch11
    I went to the pool yesterday but like a few others breaststroke hurts my knees so I just march up and down in the water,good for the thighs and calf muscles apparently. Hate front crawl as I can`t do it right and almost drown myself .
    Went in the jacuzzi and sauna too, heaven.
    I have walked 16 miles this week so thats now 29 miles total so far for January, I`m happy with that. I did want to do 20 a week but finding that hard to acheive so think Iwill aim for 15 a week.
    Let my hair colour grow out then had hair cut short so its totally grey now, I am happy with it though my little neices say I have grandma hair

Keep fabbing everyone.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Jan 19, 11:48 AM
    • 19,314 Posts
    • 115,760 Thanks
    maman
    Back again.

That's impressive walking vodkawitch. I think you're right to lower your target. There might be weeks when you can exceed it but I don't think we should be too hard on ourselves. I'd said I wanted to get some fresh air/exercise in every day but it's not proving possible. On the other hand I did about 2 hours of dancing on Saturday with just a short supper break so it's balancing out. It's just daily is difficult.

Yesterday we had an unexpected day out. DH had bought a delicate model on Ebay which had to be collected and he asked me to go with him. It involved a 300+ mile round trip half way across the country! Purchase collected, we stopped off at a NT property, had a look around (not fully open unfortunately being off season) and then had lunch in the NT caf! which ensured something healthy.

Visas for India are now granted so just clothes to sort and I need to look up flight check in procedure as it seems 100% online self check in these days.

I've done all my fabbing routines for today and pleased to say my nails are looking good and growing nicely. Tonight it's my art lecture and this month is Canaletto. His paintings are quite distinctive. Not sure if it'll be just the Venetian ones or more general including the ones he did in London. I might manage a walk too as it's held in a university lecture theatre which is only about a mile away so I might walk home. I'll need to think which shoes I wear!

I've got a busy week coming up too but determined to start my next book and make a few notes on the one I just finished. These two are library books but, in the spirit of decluttering, I should read some of the others that I have at home and then regift them to the CS.

Glorious, sunny morning here. The more of these lovely days we have the shorter the winter becomes.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 14th Jan 19, 12:25 PM
    • 31,970 Posts
    • 62,814 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Glad your husband is slightly better humpty. May he have many 'good' days in the future.

My husband is 70 on Wednesday. I have bought him a selection box of whiskies, with a little measure and a nice glass. I have also bought him a Pink Floyd tee shirt for gigging and an Old Guys Rule tee shirt too, he loves their logos.

This one: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41UNt7ybCbL.jpg
    which is a play on Star Wars and 'may the Force be with you'

He already has this one: https://www.genesissurfshop.com/guys-rule-dark-side-shed-plank-floored-shirt-black-p-6300.html
    which is a play on 'Dark Side of The Moon' by Pink Floyd

He likes Star Wars and Pink Floyd and also has three sheds, so very appropriate.

I am also probably going to get him a bouquet of helium balloons too
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 14-01-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jan 19, 1:50 PM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 17,893 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had the ear candling done today. The woman was saying that it is good to combine it with acupuncture too and that they had an offer on for 10 sessions for £250. My husband's work refund me for annual treatments up to £250 so that was lucky.

I've got to book it this week to get the offer so I will go back there tomorrow to do that.

I bought a face pack and an eyebrow pencil and I looked in the charity shops and bought a black waterfall cardigan and a red handbag. Nice day out.

I forgot to buy loo roll so might have to go out again.
    Japanese Proverb
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 14th Jan 19, 2:09 PM
    • 31,970 Posts
    • 62,814 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I had the ear candling done today. The woman was saying that it is good to combine it with acupuncture too and that they had an offer on for 10 sessions for £250. My husband's work refund me for annual treatments up to £250 so that was lucky.

I've got to book it this week to get the offer so I will go back there tomorrow to do that.

I bought a face pack and an eyebrow pencil and I looked in the charity shops and bought a black waterfall cardigan and a red handbag. Nice day out.

I forgot to buy loo roll
    so might have to go out again.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Just as well you remembered the essentials then
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jan 19, 2:39 PM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 17,893 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    I know! I just had to go back out again in the rain.
    Japanese Proverb
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Jan 19, 3:38 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Humpty I am glad that your husband is having a relatively good day and at last you are feeling better.

With regards to cold sores I have found that the Superdrug cold sore ointment has the same composition as Zovirax, but is much cheaper to buy. The best thing for a cold sore in my personal experience is Boots Tea Tree and Witch Hazel Spot Wand. It is an absolute revelation for cold sores. I have had no more visible cold sores since I discovered that this spot wand is incredible at getting rid of cold sores before they can fully develop. Once I get that tingling feeling near my mouth or lip, that heralds the advent of a cold sore or a tiny cold sore, then I will apply Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel spot wand and it will vanish within 24 hours of continuous dabbing with the spot wand. It is far more effective than any cold sore ointments, including Zovirax for very quick results.

LL well done on your decluttering this weekend and your charity shop finds.

My new shaker bed and trundle flat packs were delivered today.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Jan 19, 4:46 PM
    • 11,209 Posts
    • 76,245 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Ha ha Wednesday...that's my usual trick. That's a great offer for acupuncture and ear candling.

Anyway, Hello again. Just back from the dentists, two small fillings and a scale and polish, so not too bad. I have only been seeing this one for a couple of years since my previous dentist retired. She is very young so can't have been qualified long but I have to say she is very impressive, both quick and gentle. I will admit I am a coward when it comes to dental work and I was apprehensive when my old dentist retired. But I neednt have worried, this one is a gem. It was over and done with in no time and almost painless.

Still haven't made a decision about my long term treatment .......I'm being a bit of an ostrich........I'm not in pain so I'm ignoring the issue. But the more I think about the ramifications of getting treatment abroad the more I'm inclined to stick with my current practice. I'll just have to think about my finances, which to do first, new kitchen or dental work.

I dropped some stuff off at the chazzer and had a browse. Whilst I was browsing they were unpacking the bag. I could hear a lot of oohs and ahhhs and oh I like that. One of the ladies came out and said thank you so much, you've bought in some lovely things. (Nice to know They think I have got good taste........). She asked if it would be ok to put one of my handbags on eBay because she thought it might fetch a bit. Nice of them to ask.

Anyway I was in luck again today - picked up some as new Dunhelm curtains, a pale silky duck egg blue, patio door size £2.99 the pair, perfect for when I've decorated the dining room. A pretty embroidered silky table runner £1.99 and a new large cafetière 2.99. Less than £8 the lot. The curtains alone would have been around £60 at least. So good karma coming my way.

I was tempted by a nice cream trenchcoat but as I already have one I thought it a but silly, although the one in the shop did have a nice warm lining. Somehow I lost the lining to mine so mine is really summer wear only. I might go back on Wednesday when I'm that way again and if it's still there I might just invest, especially if it's a smaller size than my current one.

Yes I'm being that optimistic about finally tackling my weight. I am absolutely determined to shed the blubber this year, for once and for all, if only to reverse my diabetes. I absolutely will not follow in my poor mum's footsteps.

Oh well better finish putting the shopping away and get the dinner on.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 14th Jan 19, 4:49 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I think my body isn't good with any virus in the herpes family, so I had chicken pox very badly as a child, suffered since I was 3 with cold sores and get them quite badly and until the last 4 or 5 years I used to get them several times a year and of course the joys of shingles which I've had more than once. Apparently some people never get actual sores even though they have the virus. It isn't as if my immune system is poor generally but it obviously is a bit lacking in this area.

Maman glad you got the visas sorted.

Other people probably wouldn't recognise DHs good days as very good but your expectations change with time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

789Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin