Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    • 11,042Posts
    • 73,681Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 8:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 29-12-2018 at 8:52 AM.
Page 17
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 12th Jan 19, 2:52 PM
    • 11,042 Posts
    • 73,681 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I've got that Dr Chattergee book too. I am trying to put some of his suggestions into practice, bit by bit. I found his sleep advice very helpful.

Apart from the odd restless night - usually my own fault - I am sleeping really well these days and I feel better for it. A good nights sleep makes a huge difference.
    £72.75/make £2019 in 2019
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 12th Jan 19, 3:59 PM
    • 31,687 Posts
    • 61,683 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Thanks I think I will have a go. Maybe eating 10-8 to start with (whilst also keeping to my WW plan). This will also help me reduce my alcohol intake (unless I get blotto at lunchtime ).
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • lantanna
    • By lantanna 12th Jan 19, 4:16 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 19,593 Thanks
    lantanna
    Have bathed, done an Elemis resurfacing mask that I’ve had for ages and a hot cloth cleanse.

Recipe books are out now and the Click and collect slot booked for next sat
    2019, A year of saving, getting healthy again and turning 40
    £2793.67/£184 debt cleared in 2019 #5o
    GC Feb £170 / £0
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 12th Jan 19, 4:55 PM
    • 11,042 Posts
    • 73,681 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Thanks I think I will have a go. Maybe eating 10-8 to start with (whilst also keeping to my WW plan). This will also help me reduce my alcohol intake (unless I get blotto at lunchtime ).
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Give it a go.....just remember only drink either water or herbal teas. No milk no sugar.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 12th Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    • 11,042 Posts
    • 73,681 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I had brunch at 1.30 so my window today is until 9.30 if I'm desperately nibbly this evening. But I'll aim for 8.30 or 9.

Re alcohol......when I'm avoiding alcohol I drink sparkling mineral water. I keep it the fridge and add a slice of lemon. Not quite as good as a gin and tonic. but it's a pleasant drink.

I get it from Aldi 6 x 500 ml bottles for 99p.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 12-01-2019 at 5:06 PM.
    • Moll
    • By Moll 12th Jan 19, 6:10 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Moll
    Hi Molly, it's not toothpaste. I had a mouthpiece made by dentist a couple of years ago, you use this with the gel, wear it overnight. I think that's what puts me off, bit yucky in the morning .
    Originally posted by teedy23

thankyou think i might ask at my dentist did your daughter see any difference when they tried it ?x
    • Moll
    • By Moll 12th Jan 19, 6:17 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Moll
    LL youre on , i think we might spur each other on , its worth a go xxxxxx I actually got out this morning and walked the dog , A long walk too , Felt really good like id achieved a goal ,

So what are we going to do first ,,,,,,,,,,,, whatever WE BOTH DO IT
    so we dont let each other down , Ive also been to Burger King with the grandkids today ,,,,,,,and all i had was a black coffee , another achievement in my eyes , this pudding is going to go
    we live in the same area, so will know what the weather is doing ,,,,,no excuses.

. Moll be my fitness buddy and shame me into action!!!!
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 12th Jan 19, 6:56 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 4,884 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    I'm wondering if I had a cholesterol test when I had my well woman check up at the GPs. I don't remember them saying but they did say my results were good, they did things like going through what you eat, drink, if you smoke, then checked height, weight, did a heart check (ECG?) blood pressure and then a blood test. I do remember that when they checked they said my heart age was about 5 years younger than my actual age. I think I am due for another one, must check next time I'm getting my prescription done.

I wonder why they don't do more bone density tests? Broken hips cost them a fortune. Maybe it isn't something that responds well to treatment so they don't think it is worth it. I must have a look at that.

You could always ask about your last cholesterol test. I am sure if it was on the high side the receptionist would have contacted you on the doctors behalf. I am not sure about the bone density but there is a high mortality rate associated with breaking your hip I think its about 60% die within 12 months. I have been decluttering today and found the leaflets that I got from the talk so when I find where I have put them I will read them.

I do keep up with dentist, I have a horror of wearing dentures so want to avoid that at all costs. I still have all my teeth and want that to continue.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    I have a friend of a similar age who lost her 2 front teeth I now floss every day and I have seen the benefit. I am a union member and when I was last on their website I found that they ran a dental membership for their members so I will look into that.

Today has been a bad day I have fallen off the diet wagon , I ate chocolate and after not eating the doughnuts at work yesterday as well.

Went into town today tbh I needed to go to the bank but I popped into boots and brought a new pair of nail scissors for my manicure set also brought orange sticks and some cuticle remover.
    I also went to Debenhams I wanted a pineapple corer as I have broken mine, but I came away with a new blouse and my first pair of cropped trousers at a price that was just above chazzer prices

OH is away for the weekend so I have had the place to myself plenty of cleaning and decluttering done today. Later on I plan to try a face mask while there is no one else here to laugh at me.

Tomorrow I plan to tidy the garden again if the weather is ok.
    Have a great weekend and keep fabbing.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 12th Jan 19, 7:55 PM
    • 31,687 Posts
    • 61,683 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I had brunch at 1.30 so my window today is until 9.30 if I'm desperately nibbly this evening. But I'll aim for 8.30 or 9.

Re alcohol......when I'm avoiding alcohol I drink sparkling mineral water. I keep it the fridge and add a slice of lemon. Not quite as good as a gin and tonic. but it's a pleasant drink.

I get it from Aldi 6 x 500 ml bottles for 99p.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I often drink sparkling mineral water in the pub as I normally have to drive. It's a good drink with ice and slice, as you say.
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 12th Jan 19, 8:09 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 7,564 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I have osteopenia in my lower back due to the side effect of medication (oestrogen suppressant) and consequently have a Dexa scan every 3 years. In the past I've had a paid for general health check but TBH I don't think the organisations that run sessions in various venues round the country would have a Dexa scanner. They can do one with a small meter on the ankle but that to me is too vague. As others have posted to ensure bone health especially as you age you need weight bearing exercise - walking the 10000 steps a day would be a great help as it also hugely benefits other organs too. I'm also prescribed Vit D & calcium tabs. I get outside in the sunshine when I can as the natural Vit D is good for your bones. So far over the last 10 years my results have been stable. Basically you need to keep moving and get outside!!!
    Cold much improved this morning so a bit of fabbing in order. A moisturising facial after defuzzing and a thorough body creaming.
    I do need to do a wardrobe cull over the next few weeks too
    Originally posted by silvasava

Thank you silva, that is so useful. I don't walk as much as I used to, I have had dogs since I was a child until a couple of years ago and the two walks a day stopped. I will try to up the walking. I have suggested to my husband that when it is a bit warmer we go down to the seafront, I park him and I walk along the prom and back, 1 mile, then we can have a hot drink and a bun as a reward (not sure what he is being rewarded for) Would an extra mile a day be enough to make a difference? I suppose I should do a step count next time we go down there.

I take vitamin D, I buy from H&B, as I am a red head so avoid the sun as much as I can as I burn so easily. I might look at taking calcium as well. I currently take 2 flaxseed oil capsules a day (for my eyes) 2 Bromelain (as I discovered they are brilliant for my digestion) and a vitamin d tablets. This is as well as my med. I will start rattling soon and I should advise everyone to buy shares in H&B.

I had a look at Dexa machines and I think you are right, I can't see them carting them around easily!

The fabbing sounds good, my cold sore is so painful my face has been neglected for a week, even washing it is impossible and I am using cotton wool and working round the sore. I am still a Hitler lookalike with my moustache. I am so longing for the little blighter to go.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 12th Jan 19, 8:20 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 7,564 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I have a friend of a similar age who lost her 2 front teeth I now floss every day and I have seen the benefit. I am a union member and when I was last on their website I found that they ran a dental membership for their members so I will look into that.

Today has been a bad day I have fallen off the diet wagon , I ate chocolate and after not eating the doughnuts at work yesterday as well.

Went into town today tbh I needed to go to the bank but I popped into boots and brought a new pair of nail scissors for my manicure set also brought orange sticks and some cuticle remover.
    I also went to Debenhams I wanted a pineapple corer as I have broken mine, but I came away with a new blouse and my first pair of cropped trousers at a price that was just above chazzer prices

OH is away for the weekend so I have had the place to myself plenty of cleaning and decluttering done today. Later on I plan to try a face mask while there is no one else here to laugh at me.

Tomorrow I plan to tidy the garden again if the weather is ok.
    Have a great weekend and keep fabbing.
    Originally posted by eandjsmum

Look at the positives - you resisted the doughnuts so congratulations to you So you slipped a bit today but you are still ahead of the game.

Teeth are so important, a couple of friends had a tooth out within a few weeks of each other. They were debating if it was worth the money to have an implant and both decided it wasn't worth it. Neither are particularly short of money and I was so surprised, both a good ten to fifteen years younger than me. I said I'd definitely pay but we all have different priorities I suppose.

Just wanted to add have you tried interdental brushes? I've flossed for many years but 3 or 4 years ago I started using interdental brushes as well and I've had no fillings since and the hygienist reckons it has made a big difference. If you haven't tried them it is worth asking the dentist which size would suit you. The dentists usually sell a brand called Teepee but sainsburys do some that are just as good in my experience and cost less.
    Last edited by humptydumptybits; 12-01-2019 at 8:23 PM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 12th Jan 19, 8:22 PM
    • 31,687 Posts
    • 61,683 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I have a partial denture with five teeth on, luckily they are all molars, I still have all my front teeth
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 12th Jan 19, 8:41 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 7,564 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I have a partial denture with five teeth on, luckily they are all molars, I still have all my front teeth
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend

Is it uncomfortable? I think I have a bit of a phobia about things in my mouth, probably goes back to having braces. Get me, how posh were braces in the 60s whereas most of my DDs friends seemed to have them. I've heard it is getting harder to get them on the NHS now which must be hard for parents as they aren't cheap.

I didn't need teeth out for my braces, poor DD did, and I have all my 28 teeth, never got wisdom teeth which was lucky, all my kids have had to have wisdom teeth out. A friends dad was an orthodontist and he always said people should have to be examined by an orthodontist before they were allowed to have children as some people's jaws just don't mix Good job he didn't check us out.

My poor aunt has advanced dementia, lots of health problems but proudly has all her teeth in her mid 80s. I hope to be the same with teeth but would prefer to avoid the rest.

I think I have fillings in all my molars, certainly most of them but fortunately my front teeth are all in tact, fingers crossed that continues. I must admit it is amazing as I have a sweet tooth so I think I have been lucky.
    Last edited by humptydumptybits; 12-01-2019 at 8:45 PM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 12th Jan 19, 9:03 PM
    • 31,687 Posts
    • 61,683 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Is it uncomfortable? I think I have a bit of a phobia about things in my mouth, probably goes back to having braces. Get me, how posh were braces in the 60s whereas most of my DDs friends seemed to have them. I've heard it is getting harder to get them on the NHS now which must be hard for parents as they aren't cheap.

I didn't need teeth out for my braces, poor DD did, and I have all my 28 teeth, never got wisdom teeth which was lucky, all my kids have had to have wisdom teeth out. A friends dad was an orthodontist and he always said people should have to be examined by an orthodontist before they were allowed to have children as some people's jaws just don't mix Good job he didn't check us out.

My poor aunt has advanced dementia, lots of health problems but proudly has all her teeth in her mid 80s. I hope to be the same with teeth but would prefer to avoid the rest.

I think I have fillings in all my molars, certainly most of them but fortunately my front teeth are all in tact, fingers crossed that continues. I must admit it is amazing as I have a sweet tooth so I think I have been lucky.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    No, it is only a small fitting. It does not cover the roof of my mouth like many do, it is just narrow piece of acrylic and titanium (?) with the teeth on and held in place by a loop of wire round two of my remaining teeth. A bit like this:

http://dentalcarematters.com/wp-content/uploads/metal-denture-300x246.jpg
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 12-01-2019 at 9:13 PM.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Jan 19, 9:14 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 34,841 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Calcium supplementation
    Various bodies including NHS do not recommend calcium supplements unless levels are shown to be low. Too much calcium can cause kidney and heart problems in some instances.

My levels show slightly high calcium (a problem with my Parathyroid which is the regulator for this) I am instructed not to take supplements, but not told to decrease calcium rich foods. I take Vit D and also K2 which works to direct calcium to the bones and not to kidneys or heart.

A DXA scan shows Osteoporosis, I have an infusion once every 3 years and told to get as much weight bearing exercise as possible, walking, house work, standing cooking etc I gather all count. RA & OA in knees and ankles make this difficult, but I do the best I can.

I count all this in my personal fabbing, trying to be the best I can in many areas and failing miserable at times
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 12th Jan 19, 9:22 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 7,564 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Various bodies including NHS do not recommend calcium supplements unless levels are shown to be low. Too much calcium can cause kidney and heart problems in some instances.

My levels show slightly high calcium (a problem with my Parathyroid which is the regulator for this) I am instructed not to take supplements, but not told to decrease calcium rich foods. I take Vit D and also K2 which works to direct calcium to the bones and not to kidneys or heart.

A DXA scan shows Osteoporosis, I have an infusion once every 3 years and told to get as much weight bearing exercise as possible, walking, house work, standing cooking etc I gather all count. RA & OA in knees and ankles make this difficult, but I do the best I can.

I count all this in my personal fabbing, trying to be the best I can in many areas and failing miserable at times
    Originally posted by maddiemay

Thanks, lots of useful information today, getting a real education here. I will have the scan soon and see what it shows.

Well we all fail but the real failure in my book is not trying. It must be so hard trying to do the best for the osteoporosis when you have the pain in your knees and ankles.
    • Amara
    • By Amara 12th Jan 19, 9:55 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 7,619 Thanks
    Amara
    Twelfth day without alcohol. Don't like it at all. Had another run today and kept below 1600kcal. Apparently running a marathon uses only 2800kcal, while to loose one kilogram of fat uses 7000kcal , so dieting is necessary.

1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 31 0/2000
    Gaining assets
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 12th Jan 19, 10:37 PM
    • 11,042 Posts
    • 73,681 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    LL youre on , i think we might spur each other on , its worth a go xxxxxx I actually got out this morning and walked the dog , A long walk too , Felt really good like id achieved a goal ,

So what are we going to do first ,,,,,,,,,,,, whatever WE BOTH DO IT
    so we dont let each other down , Ive also been to Burger King with the grandkids today ,,,,,,,and all i had was a black coffee , another achievement in my eyes , this pudding is going to go
    we live in the same area, so will know what the weather is doing ,,,,,no excuses.

. Moll be my fitness buddy and shame me into action!!!!
    Originally posted by Moll

Not sure where I'm going to begin......whatever I do decide it has to accommodate my knee. Some days I can walk with minimal discomfort, some days I do struggle a bit. A lot depends on the weather.

I am trialling glucosomain patches at the moment. They seem quite effective. I can't wear them every day though because they irritate my skin, so usually every 3rd day. I have also bought some collagen powder to try when I've finished the glucosomaine. I thought it best not to take both. I can then work out which seems the most helpful.

My modus operandi will have to be a two pronged attack......both exercise and diet.

My exercise goals are improved cardiovascular health, flexibility, stamina and strength. So I'm think a mixture of walking, dancing, resistance training, yoga and Pilates.

My plan is to clear that back bedroom and set up my exercise bike, my elliptical trainer and then borrow my sons multi gym machine, maybe add either a rowing machine or a treadmill. Hopefully pick them up second hand. Then set aside a space for dance in the top bedroom. In the meantime now that I've got rid of the coffee table in the sitting room I can set up my yoga mat there for daily stretches and start with small hand weights. I have some 1kg ones. They are a bit too light so a couple of weeks with those and then move onto 2kg fairly quickly.

When sorting today I came across some ankle weights.so I might start wearing those round the house for a bit. Build up my leg muscles. Today I did a lot of climbing up and down a step ladder so I did work my legs quite a bit.

I know it sounds like a faff doing it piecemeal but there is no way I can contemplate joining a gym at the moment, I'm just not fit enough. I couldn't possibly do a full workout or even an hour at a dance class. So I shall start with 2 x 10 min sessions per day on my gym equipment plus a daily walk in the fresh air when the weather permits and daily yoga/stretching, and some exercises using hand weights. I also found my gym ball but I need to get that blown up.

I have bought a groupon voucher for a salsa class. They started this week but I am just not up to a full 45 minute class yet, so I'm hoping to join up for the next course in March. Something to aim for. I have a salsa dvd so I can practice at home and get up to speed first.

I am hoping that losing weight will help my knee. And also that as I lose weight exercise will become easier. It's going to be a long haul though.

Dietwise I am starting with fasting,.....16:8, then in a couple of weeks also adding in 5:2. No grains, no alcohol, no starchy white potatoes, restricted dairy. My aim is not just to lose weight but also get my blood sugars under control and improve my cholesterol levels. My blood sugar level is my major concern. I tested it this morning - not good.

Oh dear.....when it's written down it does seem rather a daunting task but hey I've gotta start somewhere.

Hopefully by fessing up on here I can be more accountable and you ladies will kick me up the derrière when required.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 12-01-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    • Moll
    • By Moll 12th Jan 19, 11:08 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Moll
    i get Teepee's from my dentist , Id never heard of them , untill they showed me , and they are brilliant for flosssing

Just wanted to add have you tried interdental brushes? I've flossed for many years but 3 or 4 years ago I started using interdental brushes as well and I've had no fillings since and the hygienist reckons it has made a big difference. If you haven't tried them it is worth asking the dentist which size would suit you. The dentists usually sell a brand called Teepee but sainsburys do some that are just as good in my experience and cost less.[/QUOTE]
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Jan 19, 9:49 AM
    • 11,042 Posts
    • 73,681 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies.....

Dark depressing day here.....perfect for decluttering. Going to make a start on back bedroom.

If my scales are right, then I have lost 1.5 lbs this week. Onwards and downwards.

Moll.....today I shall get the yoga mat out and make a start. Just 15 minutes of easy stretches today. Not much I know but I've got to start somewhere.

Didn't sleep too well (late night internet use, my own silly fault). So going back to my no internet after 6pm. In fact I am also aiming to reduce screen time generally.

Messing about on tinterweb is fun but it's a dreadful time waster. . I am going to try and be around a little less.

Move more and less couch potato time.

Have a great day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

242Posts Today

1,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin