Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hazydaysofsummer
    • By hazydaysofsummer 28th Dec 18, 9:52 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 7Thanks
    hazydaysofsummer
    The blank canvas that is 2019
    • 28th Dec 18, 9:52 PM
    The blank canvas that is 2019 28th Dec 18 at 9:52 PM
    I could probably win awards for procrastinating, so I do believe it's time to put some action where the words are.
    A brief outline of me, it pains me to admit to middle age (Eek), have DD1 & 2, DH & kitty katkins.
    In recent years gone by debt was a millstone around my neck but fortunately I've been more or less debt free for a couple of years now but one catalogue account is now over 1000 - crept up slowly as all things do - time to address.
    So, with a shiny new year on the horizon, it's the best time to get to grips with what 2019 needs to be for me.
    I'd also like to boost the savings account which proves to be a tad difficult when you find yourself so naturally being a spendthrift with so many 'must haves' calling your name !!!!
    I think as a whole I need to rethink many aspects which all go hand in hand - i'm quite ordered but the attic needs addressing ((AGAIN - perfect place to store EVERYTHING when you have little storage)) and there are a few cupboards bursting at the seams.
    when stuff around me needs sorting it affects my financial habits and my eating habits - all of which need to be addressed.
    I also hope to reduce my wastage of food (need to sort meal planner and shop accordingly) - it's not a huge issue but could still do with a little fine tuning, also i'd like to reduce how much plastic/cardboard/recycling we generate & get my eating/health plan back on track (Christmas = too much beige food!! & now I literally have to eat it all before new year ready for my new years healthy eating plan lol!!)
    So not much to sort at all !!!!
    Ebaying will hopefully make a dent on the catalogue bill but Jan is a bit of a flat Ebay month, so it gives me til end of Jan to sort stuff to bay (there is a mountain)
    Kitchen sort is also on the horizon to make it a little more user friendly, currently the prospect of being knocked out when you open a cupboard is not advantageous to a great cooking experience!!
    Anyway, enough for now - roll on the hazy days of summer & a streamlined life

Last edited by hazydaysofsummer; 28-12-2018 at 9:55 PM.
Page 1
    • hazydaysofsummer
    • By hazydaysofsummer 31st Dec 18, 10:00 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    hazydaysofsummer
    • 31st Dec 18, 10:00 AM
    • 31st Dec 18, 10:00 AM
    Teetering on the cusp of a new year....
    ......Another work day, proving to be an interruption of my at home time!!! lol!!

Great expectations, could this actually be the year that I get myself together and get rid of the nagging whispers in my mind of 'what are you doing' after the thrill of the spend!!
    So, where to start........
    ......Christmas, birthdays, car insurance, various bills etc - I am fully aware these things happen annually at pretty much the same time, so why am I always so ill prepared as if its unexpectedly crept up on my me AGAIN, so although it pains me to speak of Christmas 2019 I'm guessing the only way to be prepared is to be prepared!!

This follows nicely into savings, at the beginning of the month I'll transfer some money on pay day into the savings account only to then need to transfer it back at some point in the month due to overspends (unnecessary overspends) - this most definitely needs to stop & although my thought is to transfer a monthly amount for Xmas, I really need to ensure this is a regular commitment that doesn't need to be used, hmmmm.
    I've booked a couple of days off of work shortly, it'll just be myself and Kitty katkins at home as DD's & DH will have gone back to school/college/work (quite looking forward to it !!) & my intention is to sort Christmas decorations & charity shop what I no longer need before heading back into the room of doom (aka the attic......)
    Thoughts on Ebaying, I have sooooooooo much stuff that I have squirrelled away to Ebay, I send a lot of stuff to charity but I still can't bare to part with anything that I feel will sale, but then on the flip side of that there's the time it takes to Ebay & the amount of stuff in the attic waiting to be Ebayed - some days I think 'well if it only sells for 99p, that'll all add up (catalogue bill & all)' and then other days I just want rid of the clutter for a more streamlined existence!!! what to do......
    Anyway, enough rumblings for now
    Hope everyone has a fab New Years Eve xxx

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 31st Dec 18, 10:33 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 6,539 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    • 31st Dec 18, 10:33 AM
    • 31st Dec 18, 10:33 AM
    Re Christmas savings, I have a standing order for a few pounds a week that goes out to a savings account held with a completely different bank. The account has no card with it, so to access the money I have to physically go to the branch. It means that I can't transfer the money back which certainly helps me to keep saving!

Good luck with the debt busting in 2019.
    paydbx2019 #93 141.93/10,100 .
    School trips 236/1200..
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 31st Dec 18, 1:17 PM
    • 60,006 Posts
    • 251,733 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 31st Dec 18, 1:17 PM
    • 31st Dec 18, 1:17 PM
    Happy shiny new diary

Could you use your local FB selling page?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • hazydaysofsummer
    • By hazydaysofsummer 5th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    hazydaysofsummer
    • 5th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    • 5th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    Thank you Honey & Beanie for wandering through xx
    I definitely need to pop some money for Christmas where I can't get to it, so great option to pop it in a card free account where I would have to go to a branch to withdraw - that would be enough to put me off overspending!!

So, great plans for today and unfortunately feeling a tad under the weather & pulled muscle very much restricting movement - January blues don't help, so a tad fed up!!
    Anyway, no point focusing on the 'cant do's' as nothing will get done!!
    Painkillers popped, first load of washing on, slow cookers filled with next weeks meals and onwards!!
    Few days off of work (hence the pulled muscle being extra annoying - in my own time!!) so wanted to get the decluttering underway (house is v tidy but too too much stuff squirrelled away in cupboards, drawers, wardrobes, linen cupboard & attic!!)
    but with the intention of everything sorted needs to be recycled, so either sold, given to friends or charity shop.
    Don't really know where to start - Christmas decorations would be the sensible place but I need to sort the old decs no longer needed before packing up the current ones.......why does one job always lead to another!!! - Main reason for the declutter, fed up with wasting time sorting!!
    Shopping budget this week needed to be around 55 and managed to spend 79.....it does mean I have some extra slow cooker meals but i'm now 24 down - hopefully sales will profit at least 24!!
    Anyway must get on or I'll definitely get nothing done!!

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 7th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    • 6,664 Posts
    • 25,226 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    • 7th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    Good luck on your journey x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 5400.00 Lloyds: 9670.00 BC: GONE Cap One: 444.25
    Jan LTW 10/22
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD 325.70/5604.30
    Savings for Christmas 50.16/500
    20p Savers 2019 2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • hazydaysofsummer
    • By hazydaysofsummer 9th Jan 19, 12:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    hazydaysofsummer
    • 9th Jan 19, 12:43 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 12:43 PM
    Brrrrr, the car needed a little thawing this morning (note to self check on car status before rushing out of the house late) but what a sunny day it has progressed into - counting the days to summer days, light mornings & evenings, the warmth, windows wide open and fragrant blooms.....hurry please!!

So, update on the selling debacle - I decided in my infinite wisdom (questionable at best!!) that the declutter & sorting shall begin with ones wardrobe (Scary place to be) with a mash up of watching consumed and Marie Kondo courtesy of Netflix, I decided probably 50% had to go as there was heaps of stuff that just didn't fit as Id hoped or proved too snug (weight loss high up on top 5 things to address in 2019) or fitted but I'd fallen out of love with or just didn't like but had bought anyway because it fitted.
    I couldn't have comprehended just how long it would take me to go through everything and decide what needed doing with them, recycle, keep, charity or sell - after 2 days, 4 black sacks have gone to charity, 2 full to bursting black sacks of items Ebayed awaiting hopeful sale, bag full for a friend & bag of rubbish/recycling.
    I decided that the items I considered sale worthy I would list on a fixed price with a best offer option and if they'd not sold after 10 days then I would take it to the charity shop - I feel less wasteful doing it this way & it's not as though I can afford just to get rid of stuff which may make me a little to pay off of my catalogue bill or fill a gap.
    A few sales over the last couple of days have amounted to around 40 (after taking out postage costs & Ebay/paypal fees) which covers the 24 shopping overspend but I have had to pop to shops a couple of times, so need to revisit my finances shortly to recalculate!!
    Onwards & upwards
    Last edited by hazydaysofsummer; 09-01-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jan 19, 1:15 PM
    • 60,006 Posts
    • 251,733 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 9th Jan 19, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 1:15 PM
    Good news on the sales

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Jan 19, 1:45 PM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 18,833 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 9th Jan 19, 1:45 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 1:45 PM
    Hey and good luck with the challenge ahead.

I agree with you that something like a tidy and organised home eventually influences other elements of life such as finances, eating, exercising etc. Good on you for finally putting your foot down and deciding enough is enough.

I've subscribed. Good luck!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • hazydaysofsummer
    • By hazydaysofsummer 10th Jan 19, 2:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    hazydaysofsummer
    A place for everything & everything in it's place.........
    ........bah!!
    Well I must say this decluttering malarkey is not only time consuming it's the messiest job I've tackled!! Everything that is normally so beautifully concealed behind cupboard doors now adorn any available space looking at me challenging what I might do with it!!
    I could say it's just because I need a bigger house with more storage, the reality is I need way less stuff - my DM always said you'll always fill the space you have - very true!!
    How many face clothes do one family need !!! - just counted 14.....needless to say I've now moved onto the airing cupboard.

Thanks Speky & Beanie for checking in
    No more sales yet on Ebay, so finances at a stalemate so far today - I think I need to do an online shop ready for the weekend as I need to be in control of spends this week & not get drawn in by offers in store that jump out at me at every corner !!
    Back to the mess!! I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end!!

• hazydaysofsummer
    • By hazydaysofsummer 11th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    hazydaysofsummer
    Grey miserable day !!!
    Roll on the end of January and pay day!!
    Well, since yesterday I've generated 19.50 in sales (one postage and fees have been taken out)
    This week I need to stick to 130 spends at most.
    Fuel today has been 28 ( which should last til next Friday)
    Storage boxes plus few cleaning bits was 18 & take out treat for DD was 10
    Which leaves me 74 for shopping and any other expenses - wish me luck!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jan 19, 5:13 PM
    • 60,006 Posts
    • 251,733 Thanks
    beanielou
    74 to last you a week seems fine

***Keep plodding***
    • hazydaysofsummer
    • By hazydaysofsummer 13th Jan 19, 3:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    hazydaysofsummer
    So yes, 74 should have been enough........
    ........didn't quite go as planned!!
    Shopping was 45, so very much under usual budget so that most definitely was a win, then remembered I had nearly forgotten a birthday which I had to get a gift which amounted to 30 in total (card, wrap etc) so already in the minus 1 stakes - follow that up with DD2 being really poorly and doing top up shops and take out to try to tempt her to eat something & I nearly don't want to look at my bank balance.....
    ....add in a few other unexpected but needed expenses (college books, prescription costs & other meds) and now I really don't want to look!!!!
    of course I will but will need to adjust the following 2 weeks weekly spend amount to accommodate the overspend.
    Sales are not helping as not much activity on the bay of E over the weekend, so that has added a sum total of 0 to the overspend pot - more to list so will get on with that!!
    At least the conversation with Sky amounted to them dropping my bill by 17 a month !!!
    Off to check the bank.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,303Posts Today

9,072Users online

Martin's Twitter