Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • millionaire in training
    • By millionaire in training 28th Dec 18, 4:40 PM
    • 5,682Posts
    • 19,624Thanks
    millionaire in training
    LBM no 1 million and 1
    • 28th Dec 18, 4:40 PM
    LBM no 1 million and 1 28th Dec 18 at 4:40 PM
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4791124&page=117 old diaries

So I'm back once again. Need to knock this debt on the head once and for all. This time I mean it though

Hope folks are well. Well my debt is still way too much. I've worked like a dog last couple of years but all I have to show is holiday photos and my house decorated. Still up to my neck in debt. BUT my kids will be flying the nest in next couple of years ( hopefully ) and I need this sorted before they go so I can consider getting a smaller house when they leave. I mean business this time.

So today instead of throwing out all the unused veg and potatoes I have peeled potatoes and carrots, grated said carrots, chopped potatoes in to chips and wedges and cooked them. I have other potatoes to boil for dinner. Chopped up peppers and mushrooms and I have filled my freezer with them.

I have been spending ridiculous amounts of money on food and it shows on my hips, thighs, bum, toes, fingers, eyelids everywhere. Again I'm sick of that so I will work on that too.

So wish me well and you'll be sick hearing from me as this is a lifeline for me when I am on the wagon. Plans in next post
    2 year plan. Jan 2019 to Dec 2020- CC debt free
    Currently £21, 398.65. Do-able

January grocery challenge £221.94/£250
    Lunch to work Jan 9/15
    100 day challenge £251.46/£2,000
Page 5
    • By millionaire in training 8th Jan 19, 6:53 PM
    • 5,682 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    millionaire in training
    My 100 day challenge started so here we go to £2k off by March hopefully.

What a day today. Got a call at 9.30 to tell me dd hadn’t turned up for work. I tried calling her on house phone and mobile but no reply. Slight concerns as she drives on a pretty remote road to her work. Called my very elderly neighbour to check if her car was there and thankfully it was. Had to end up coming down the road and she was sleeping !! Could have choked her as it took an hour out of my day to drive home and back. Scary journey down though. A few weeks before Christmas her friend died in his bed from sudden adult death syndrome and although I knew she would be okay I was still terrified to open that bedroom door .

Off to Birmingham tomorrow with work so I’ll need to really try and keep spends to a minimum.

Going out tonight to see Mary poppins:-)

Lunch to work Jan 9/15
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 8th Jan 19, 7:33 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 57,724 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    So sorry to hear about DDís friend and at the panic when you couldnít get a hold of her. Glad sheís ok.

Enjoy Mary Poppins and your work trip away Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 41/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jan 19, 9:52 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,158 Thanks
    jwil
    That must have been scary. Glad all is ok.

Hope you enjoyed Mary Poppins!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • By millionaire in training 11th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    • 5,682 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    millionaire in training
    Evening folks. Been in Birmingham last 2 days and can't really see on my phone to check on here.
    Was at hospital today to see about the cataract surgery . Getting my right eye done as left eye is still okay by all accounts. Now that is great news except I'll need to get new glasses . More money !!

Spent a fair whack whilst away with work but can claim it all back except about a tenner. Not going to add anything to my totals for shopping spends as nothing was really shopping. It was wine and gin and that's not groceries is it?

Mary Poppins was really good. Pure Disney.

Lost 9lbs this week so I'm delighted at that. Been taking lunch in every day and cooking every night so I've also saved a fortune.

Started my 100 day challenge as well and paid £202.49 off cc's so far. To be fair it's my minimum payment plus a £10 but at least it's a start. I should manage to make a good hole in it at the end of the month. I've got some overtime and DD will pay me some of the money she owes me so fingers crossed no dramas and I can get it started and also get my tax bill paid off.

So I don't think I'll do any overtime this weekend as I'm shattered after a busy week and will get paid for most of Wednesday as I don't normally work Wednesdays so I don't feel overly guilty about it.

Been hearing rumours that the overtime might stop and if that happens I am up the brown creek without a paddle and will need to rethink everything yet again. Fingers crossed it keeps going for a while anyway until I am in a better position.

So I hope all is well ..........take care xx

Lunch to work Jan 9/15
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 11th Jan 19, 10:39 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 57,724 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Wow, 9lbs off, go you!!

Glad work trip went well and Mary Poppins was good.

Have a lovely weekend Xx

• Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 11th Jan 19, 10:42 PM
    • 4,643 Posts
    • 14,125 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Congratulations on the 9lbs loss. Is that following the blood sugar diet? Hope the rest of the plan goes well.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,158 Thanks
    jwil
    Congratulations on the weightloss
    • By millionaire in training 12th Jan 19, 12:13 PM
    • 5,682 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    millionaire in training
    Congratulations on the 9lbs loss. Is that following the blood sugar diet? Hope the rest of the plan goes well.
    Originally posted by Verbatim
    V no I'm loosely following slimming world. I haven't joined so not 100% sure on current syns etc but hey it's working so far. Wasn't great whilst away as we ate out and had a few wines and gins but I could have been horrific but I definitely wasn't. For me that's a huge thing as usually I treat a night away as a free pass to do whatever the h*ll I want to.

PLMBL you have a lovely weekend too whatever you get up to.

JWIL ty xx

So I got up about 9am after 8.5hrs sleep and feel fresh as a daisy. So I got dressed and headed in to ASDA before the rush. Still quite busy but not too bad. I can't understand why so many people still insist on shopping on a Saturday. I avoid it like the plague but having had a busy week I had to go today as needed basics desperately and also other things for during the week. I was however tempted and ended up spending £15 more than my list and came in at £58.18 overall. It should do me all week and I did get some extra lunch/snack type things that were on offer for the kids lunches. I stocked up on alpen bars as they are reduced as well so I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I'm quite happy with how my budget is going.

So today is a cooking/housework/laundry day as I want a chilled day tomorrow if I don't go to work.

So in the oven just now is baked oats for my brunch as I have been dying to try these but they take a while to cook so not practical for the weekdays. I'm going to try the sweet potato pakora from the pinch of nom site and make butternut squash and sweet potato soup. I have chicken drumsticks for dinner and going to jerk season them and make dirty chips in the actifry. These are also on the PON site and look dynamite and ever so sinful. I'll let you know if they are any good.

So budget is scarily tight this month . I have just under £200 left to do me and I have a night out with food and my hair to get done which will eat up most of that . My hair is desperate though as I couldn't get colour done last time due to the allergic reactions I was having so roots are horrific. Night out is a late Christmas one which my workmates and I always do as December is so busy. I'll keep it under control as much as I can though.

So I best move my backside and get started. Take care all xx

Lunch to work Jan 9/15
    • By millionaire in training 13th Jan 19, 7:20 PM
    • 5,682 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    millionaire in training
    Gawd I write too much

So hello folks. Hope you have all had a nice Sunday. Mine has been a busy one. I've gutted my lounge today and my kitchen. Place smells divine. I didn't make the dirty chips yesterday but I did today along with a fabby sirloin and pepper sauce from plenty of nom site. Syn free and totally delicious. I'm stuffed

I knw I've only been watching what I eat for 12 days but the horrible sluggishness is definitely lifting and my energy levels are rising. Viral infection and allergies must be gone and I'm feeling so much better. So for that reason alone I should carry this on. Another reason is the embarrassment of being overweight. I'm a big lass. Coming home from Birmingham the other day a woman sat beside me and I know I was taking up more than my fair share of the seat but she huffed and puffed and wriggled and sighed and I was nearly in tears. I sat for 2 hours with my arms folded in as much as I could and I ended up in agony with my back. I even said to her at one point that I was sorry that the seats weren't built for big women. I thought she would have reassured me but she just said hmm it's alright. I wanted to cry . I have a few similar stories and I just need to sort this once and for all.

A nice NSD today. I didn't go in to work as I really had to get the housework sorted out and I'm really glad I took the day at home as I can relax the rest of the week a bit as far as the house is concerned. I haven't been outside except to the bin and now on the couch watching dancing on ice.

Have a lovely evening folks and yet again I've talked too much

Lunch to work Jan 9/15
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Jan 19, 7:41 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 57,724 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Love your chats, donít stop them!!

Iím also a big lass. This has been proven many times, from not being able to get the belt on properly on rides, to kids in DS1ís class making fun of me, to seeing my humongous self on tv . Each time it devastates me and I wish I could bottle how I feel then to help me continue my weight loss journey. Ultimately though, itís whatís on the inside that counts, and you are a lovely person MiT. Donít forget that Xx

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 19, 8:10 PM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 46,866 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Wow 9lb in a week is very very impressive Well done

Glad DD was ok. A few years ago someone I worked with died of sudden adult death syndrome aged just 29. He went home on the Wednesday feeling light headed he died that night. It was awful, so sad, he was such a lovely lad
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £82.00
    Debt £1570
    Weight loss 0/9LBS
    Emergency Fund £3266.50/£10,000
    • By millionaire in training 13th Jan 19, 9:59 PM
    • 5,682 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    millionaire in training

Iím also a big lass. This has been proven many times, from not being able to get the belt on properly on rides, to kids in DS1ís class making fun of me, to seeing my humongous self on tv . Each time it devastates me and I wish I could bottle how I feel then to help me continue my weight loss journey. Ultimately though, itís whatís on the inside that counts, and you are a lovely person MiT. Donít forget that Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks so much PLMBL. As you say if only we could bottle that feeling we would be a svelte size 10 in no time.

Lunch to work Jan 9/15
    • By millionaire in training 13th Jan 19, 10:00 PM
    • 5,682 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    millionaire in training
    Wow 9lb in a week is very very impressive Well done

Glad DD was ok. A few years ago someone I worked with died of sudden adult death syndrome aged just 29. He went home on the Wednesday feeling light headed he died that night. It was awful, so sad, he was such a lovely lad
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Thanks SA.

So young to die. My DD was devastated. I didn't know the boy but where we live isn't that big so knew some of his family. Sad indeed and scary xx

Lunch to work Jan 9/15
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,158 Thanks
    jwil
    I'm another big lass. I'm with you on aching on public transport by trying not to take up too much space
    • By millionaire in training 14th Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 5,682 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    millionaire in training
    I'm another big lass. I'm with you on aching on public transport by trying not to take up too much space
    Originally posted by jwil
    Honestly Jwil why do we do it? Every time I start a diet I am so motivated and determined but I end up giving in and get heavier each time. I'm in determined and motivated mode just now. Long may it last . I'm fed up trying to do macrame on my body as I don't fold very well

So lunch taken to work again today so I'm doing really well on that challenge. I've had £10 in my purse since Thursday. I did switch my weekly shopping but zero non essential spends have taken place

Made slimming world steak bakes tonight. They were tasty but definitely not Greggs!! Not had feedback from the weans as yet so we will say what they say.

Remember the 'friend' I told you about who put me back in this position well I have heard through the grapevine that she has lost all her contracts bar one. Karma eh?? You don't mess with karma. I get no joy from it but heard she was very upset at contract being withdrawn and her lifestyle being affected. She should try and see how it feels when it's a friend of 42 years who does it to you !! Anyway I am made of sterner stuff than her and I will absolutely survive.

Away to watch the telly for a while. Vera who I love muchly and Cold Feet later which is my fave. Have a lovely evening folks xx

Lunch to work Jan 9/15
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,158 Thanks
    jwil
    I'm trying to stick to SW this time! I'm trying to do it slowly to ensure I stick to it rather than change loads and then give up.

That sucks for your ex-friend, but she knows how you felt now.
    • By millionaire in training 15th Jan 19, 9:01 PM
    • 5,682 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    millionaire in training
    Jwil good luck. We will do it together. If you like cooking definitely do on to pinch of nom on facebook. Fantastic recipes and loads of inspiration from others. I'm loving it.

Kids liked the 'steak bakes' so they can go on the menu again. Not the cheapest as I used m&s tinned stew but ASDA do a cheaper tin or I will use my own stew next time. I had chilli tonight with boiled rice. Bit bland to be honest and no need for it as I am the only one who eats chilli so I can give it some oomph and I will next time I cook a batch. Kids did their own thing for dinner as I now refuse to make two meals. If they don't like what I'm cooking then they're on their own.

I'm off tomorrow and have hairdressers and nurse. Need my colour done and although really skint I need to get it done as it's a riot. I look bad enough without my hair being a riot as well. It's about the only thing on my body I can make look nice

CC minimum payment of £48.97 off today so a bit more off of 100 day challenge.

So 2019 so far so good. Fingers crossed it continues

Lunch to work Jan 9/15
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 16th Jan 19, 8:43 AM
    • 1,595 Posts
    • 3,960 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    I'm doing the 800 cal blood sugar diet. I've not been hungry up to now (day 8) and I've lost 9.25 lbs.

I save some of my calories and have a treat at night.

Tonight I'm going to a training course where we get cake, I've messaged the venue and I'm having fruit salad. (Polishes halo)
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Jan 19, 9:45 AM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 32,158 Thanks
    jwil
    Definitely we can do it together. Yes, I follow pinch of nom and two chubby cubs on FB, their recipes are good too. I lurk on the SW thread on here too which is really helpful as well.

I don't much like cooking, but know I need to do it for this to work. I need to look for some ideas for picky foods for lunchtime as I get bored of leftovers and salads. Something like the steak bakes might be useful so I'll look them up.

Dawnybabes - congrats on your weight loss, that's brilliant The blood sugar diet sounds interesting. I've heard of a few following it, but I haven't looked at it. I like the 'no measuring' aspect of SW as much as anything else.
    • By millionaire in training 16th Jan 19, 2:05 PM
    • 5,682 Posts
    • 19,624 Thanks
    millionaire in training
    I'm doing the 800 cal blood sugar diet. I've not been hungry up to now (day 8) and I've lost 9.25 lbs.

I save some of my calories and have a treat at night.

Tonight I'm going to a training course where we get cake, I've messaged the venue and I'm having fruit salad. (Polishes halo)
    Originally posted by dawnybabes
    Dawny I tried a really low calorie / food replacement diet before and ended up at A&E rolling about in agony. Turned out I was needing a pooh but I thought I was dying. So Iíll stick to slimming world lol

Lunch to work Jan 9/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

2,733Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin