Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,521Posts
    • 18,509Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 5:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread
Page 93
    • savvy
    • By savvy 15th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    • 30,070 Posts
    • 46,334 Thanks
    savvy
    I'd like to join the decluttering ranks if I may!

I'm currently attempting to reduce the volume of 'stuff' we hardly use or don't use at all, and go through all the loft boxes. When we moved into this house, about 11 yrs ago, I had what was (at the time) a good system. I boxed up stuff and labelled the boxes with numbers, and had a record in a notebook of what each box contained. However over the years this system has broken down, with loft leaks, boxes retrieved for various items then shoved back into the loft, some boxes repacked and notebook entries crossed out, new ones made, new boxes numbered... well to cut a long story short, it's a mess up there!
    Originally posted by Zentimes
    Welcome, and I know exactly what you mean!!! But I'm not even going to attempt the mess up there yet

Did declutter half a bottle of wine last night
    Originally posted by chocolatelover93
    Lmao if that counts I could add a quite a few more to the total

Well straightened out a corner in my bedroom this weeked as plans went out the window as usual!

A duvet cover belonging to ex ex = 1
    A number of plastic bags! = 1

And I thought there was something else, but can't find the pad I had it written on.........................erm so the dog that eats paper may well have decluttered it for me!!!!!!!

150/2019
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 15th Apr 19, 6:27 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 1,649 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Looks like you have gone wild with the emojis Mrs SD

5 bags to the CS yesterday. unfortunately DH threw a load of sorted stuff into a massive pile so now I have to do that again. Shouldn't complain. He was working on making me an airing cupboard.

Lots to do over the next week or two as the house needs to be cleared up big time. Struggling to fit it in with full time work, the allotment and moonwalk training. Just got to adopt the bit by bit mentality and all will be well, as long as DH doesn't move my piles again.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 23 months to go.
    Challenges 2019: MFW 2019 #164 £664.57/3200 Make 2019 in 2019 #70 £679/£2019 Stash Busting 2019 2/12 projects A Clutter free Life 2019 34/60 bags and 4 large items.
    • Marpau
    • By Marpau 15th Apr 19, 7:14 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Marpau
    Well having spent a couple of days admiring my lovely new bedrooms I have again returned to the bathroom electric towel rail disconnected and added to pile for the tip. Hubby filled the holes ready to paint room at weekend when we aren't doing childcare. I have already decluttered the vanity unit but may give it a second sweep.
    Spent today going through the wardrobes in our room and washed 2 loads ready to list once pressed and photographed. Wardrobe now only contains items which fit and we will wear. items listed for sale are now in the spare room wardrobe hopefully they will sell soon and be gone!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Apr 19, 2:47 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 18,509 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Monday was a lovely day - plenty of sunshine (shame I had no washing to do ) & quite warm
    DSis kept DH & I watered with cups of coffee & caught up on her TV programmes. DH & I spent several hours in the garage - we completely emptied & reorganised 2 of the 3 shelving units - one shelf at a time & found proper places for everything Plus we emptied & sorted out 4 carrier bags of tools, decorating tools etc. DH was quite brutal with actual decluttering so my numbers are going to shoot up We did sooo well that one of his motorbikes is now IN THE GARAGE DH also found time to nip to the sm for a small shop of vegetables & snacks Tomorrow DH is off on his Round Britain Rally (on his other motorbike) & will be away overnight Of course that means I will have to do my own decluttering - yah boo sucks!

991 - 1000 One cardboard box, magazine, uu Pen, newspaper, empty beer bottle, glass jar, 2 metal lids, plastic jar & lid, cardboard packaging - Recycled
    1001 - 1078 Thirteen screwdrivers, 33 sockets, 4 spanners, 4 ratchet handles/extenders, 6 keys, impact driver, flexible driver, 3 tyre levers, Dr*m*l clamp, junior hacksaw, 3 bits of wire, 2 extension bars, screwdriver bit, C-spanner, socket extender, 2 drill bits, bag of nails/screws & metal bits - all into metal tool chest - metals bin at Tip
    1079 - 1082 Empty plastic socket box, empty plastic box, dismantled 3 shelf plastic shelving unit, damaged patio washing brush - Tip
    1083 Small bag of general detritus - Binned
    1084 Pair of DSis’s wellies - CS

Well Done - Fire Fox; DD of White_musk; sweetpea26; Poppy_Golightly (the new CS will love you); Wednesday2000 (surely it would be easier to use the loo ); greenbee (what a shame); savvy; bit by bit (Perhaps labels )

You have been busy Marpau

So sorry that you have been so unwell, White_musk Please make sure you are fully fit & recovered BEFORE you tackle the last of your decluttering

Happy decluttering everyone

MrsSD
    1084/2019
    • chupachups4
    • By chupachups4 16th Apr 19, 4:31 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    chupachups4
    Good Morning,

1146-1147: 1 outfit and 1 jumper, sold 25 euros in the travel pot.

listed 23 items
    Last edited by chupachups4; 17-04-2019 at 4:21 AM.
    shipping busy bus: 1504 euros/15000 euros
    Ile de Pâques:541/5000 euros; Galapagos: 0/5000 euros
    declutter: 1171/2019
    52 weeks challenge: 268 euros/1378 euros
    sales: jan: 306euros/300 euros; feb: 863 euros/300euros;march:1763euros/500 euros
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Apr 19, 7:56 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 6,856 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Had a build up of neutral items, so it was the time to ship out to some for a charity ready for tombolas/ raffles. So
    *58-69 items shipped out.....
    but also added a couple of items into the box that were from a sort out I had of my present box. For example i had a Mickey mouse pencil case and pencils set as a 'just in case' present. I hate to think how many years it has been in there so i was ruthless. Also when sorting out the back cupboard and I found a few bits, managed to squeeze one item into the box. Very happy so
    169-172 items decluttered forever out of the house.

Need another box as I have a few more neutral and a couple more declutter items to send. One item is an awkward size and shape but despite it's best efforts to take up residence-it's going!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • dollypeeps
    • By dollypeeps 16th Apr 19, 9:09 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    dollypeeps
    What a wonderful day yesterday weather wise....
    Spent most of the morning at the Drs. They have drop in sessions where you book in and sit and wait.... Old fashioned queuing system I suppose .... But oh my days...don't some people moan.... Yes it's not nice waiting and yes you're supposed to be ill or worried but at least you can make it here and you don't have to pay ...I could've slapped some honestly ...

Anyway onto the business of the day ( or yesterday!!) ...

Spent it in the garden sweeping and tidying and just that little bit has done wonders.....I've only got a postage stamp sized garden gut I do like my flowers and plants .....

1 broken plant pot - binned ...the rest were repurposed or cleaned out ready for reuse .
    A few dead/not wanted items into the bin but I'll not count those..
    1 jumper - CS bag. Thought I put something else in there too but can't think now so will look later and add tomorrow if needs be..

Slowly slowly ....I'd love to do the attic but I'm working my way up there ....I just can't go in and do a huge declutter as I don't think I'll be seen until 2020 and DH needs to make decisions about A LOT of the items up there ....he's in denial that it's mostly his stuff but if it was mine or even ours I'dbe sorting it

Apart from the obvious irritation of having too much stuff being untidy etc ...well you get the idea....we/he doesn't know what we do have and we end up buying more then!!!!!

Case in point ...curtain pole i mentioned a few posts back....and now
    We're or should I say He is hanging new bedroom doors and guess what he found after he'd bought some.....more hinges !!!!!!

Ok then, now I've got all that off my chest ...off to start the business of the day ..albeit quite late

mortgage now £2260 as of Apr 2019
    and no other debts

56B]items decluttered
    • Marpau
    • By Marpau 16th Apr 19, 9:23 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Marpau
    Two items sold while I slept love waking up to these. 1 has been posted this morning along with a lot of packaging.
    I will be out for the rest of the day so only managed 2 items into charity bag
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 16th Apr 19, 9:37 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    MIA for last week - went away for the first week of Easter holidays, and managed to declutter a bit of stress and lot of ££!

Before going away
    197 - veg in fridge turned into soup
    198 - cheese in fridge grated
    -both lots frozen

199-202 tatty clothing items binned

Look out long weekend!
    A Clutter Free Life - 2019 in 2019 - 239/2019
    Boost your income (34) - £2019 in 2019 - £73/£2019
    ...I figure it's taken a long time to accumulate all this carp so it'll take a while to get rid of it too.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 16th Apr 19, 4:12 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 1,649 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Labels would have been a good idea Mrs SD but that would mean being organised.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 23 months to go.
    Challenges 2019: MFW 2019 #164 £664.57/3200 Make 2019 in 2019 #70 £679/£2019 Stash Busting 2019 2/12 projects A Clutter free Life 2019 34/60 bags and 4 large items.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 16th Apr 19, 7:45 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 48,260 Thanks
    Barny1979
    299-301. Three trips to tip with tree branches
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    302-305. Cardboard boxes into recycling
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £550/£1809
    • savvy
    • By savvy 16th Apr 19, 9:09 PM
    • 30,070 Posts
    • 46,334 Thanks
    savvy
    I have again returned to the bathroom electric towel rail disconnected and added to pile for the tip.
    Originally posted by Marpau
    Haha I have been left with a connected towel rail that never switches off, and a fan that won't turn on........builder disappeared so that's another problem I have to sort!!

Apart from the obvious irritation of having too much stuff being untidy etc ...well you get the idea....we/he doesn't know what we do have and we end up buying more then!!!!!
    Originally posted by dollypeeps
    Arrggg I hate that with a passion.......once I get this place sorted and eradicate lots of ex people's stuff, I'll have everything sorted and labelled lol.

So am trying to find an item to wear to a wedding this weekend....can not find it at all, but am decluttering as I frantically look!
    1 bundle of old hair bands
    1 scrunchie

1 old Lush hat box
    3 old Lush items - arg what a waste but gone horrible
    1 bundle of papers from a romantic ex from long ago
    2 small boxes

159/2014
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Apr 19, 9:24 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 18,509 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Tuesday has been a pleasantly warm day if somewhat overcast but temperature has dropped considerably in the last 2 hours DH left before 9:30 a.m. but it took over 2 hours to get to the M4 as Parliament Square was shut He has had a pleasant day & is safely ensconced in his hotel room & looking forward to dinner. DSis had a long bath & has done one load of washing. The only decluttering I have done today is 2 full bags delivered to CS - which was closed grrrr but fortunately the CS clothes only shop has now opened so I dropped off the donations there & had a lovely chat with the CS lady. The walk to the CS - past the dock - was very pleasant & I was rewarded - TWO CORMORANTS & the crested grebes are back & have nested on a new raft - saw a single egg. The coot who evicted the grebes from their previous nest, are also nesting. Sadly the Egyptian Geese have moved to pastures new but they were with us for a couple of months. They are beautiful & hopefully will return next year. After the CS, I walked to sm, then off to P.O. to post a package to our friends in France - English chocolate
    Chicken goujons & chips for dinner.

1085 One ceiling light fitting & shade - CS
    1086 Cardboard packaging - Recycled

Well Done - chupachups4; Happy Kitties; dollypeeps; Marpau (can you clean in your sleep as well ); GreenQueen (sounds like you had a lovely time ); Barny1979; savvy

Har-di-har bit by bit - if you really were disorganised you would never declutter :rotfl

See you all tomorrow

MrsSD
    1086/2019
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 16-04-2019 at 9:27 PM. Reason: Missing data
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th Apr 19, 10:15 PM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 16,873 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hello all, I've not posted for quite some time as I have been really poorly. Thankfully, well on the mend now, just left with a hacking cough and headache that just won't shift.
    Originally posted by White_musk
    This sounds just like what my DH is recovering from, White_musk. A cold for a month, then a fluctuating temperature, terrific headache apparently due to the lurgy making his brain hot, wheeziness... two lots of antibiotics and an inhaler. It's nasty and he's a bit washed out but seems to be on the mend now - though he keeps losing his voice. It's been diagnosed as a respiratory tract infection following a chest x-ray. So if that sounds to you like what you've got, do look after yourself and try not to overdo things till you feel okay again.

As for me, I have just given seven books to my sister and three to my niece so I'm pleased with myself. The fact we still have enough to start a library is beside the point. I have also decluttered a tin of dried up paint and two packets of nuts (one into me, the other out due to being well out of date). Also seven assorted pieces of paper.

So another 20 to add to my total.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £555.74/2,880.00 in 2019
    Decluttered in 2019: 543/2019 as of 17/4/19
    • chupachups4
    • By chupachups4 17th Apr 19, 4:34 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    chupachups4
    Good Morning everyone,

1148-1153: 2 jeans, 3 tee-shirts, 1 swimming suit, sold, 37 euros in the travel pot
    shipping busy bus: 1504 euros/15000 euros
    Ile de Pâques:541/5000 euros; Galapagos: 0/5000 euros
    declutter: 1171/2019
    52 weeks challenge: 268 euros/1378 euros
    sales: jan: 306euros/300 euros; feb: 863 euros/300euros;march:1763euros/500 euros
    • dollypeeps
    • By dollypeeps 17th Apr 19, 8:29 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    dollypeeps
    Plodded on yesterday with a thorough clean of shower room and emptied bathroom cabinet.
    Sorted out bank balances and credit card bill and one shelf of my wardrobe.

8 various items from bathroom cabinet - cardboard recycled and medicines binned
    2 jumpers - CS bag
    1 pair of jeans CS bag

Declare yesterday at 11
    mortgage now £2260 as of Apr 2019
    and no other debts

56B]items decluttered
    • never too old
    • By never too old 17th Apr 19, 12:59 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 30,771 Thanks
    never too old
    Afternoon all

not done a huge amount of decluttering as we still have house guests.
    I pulled out my mandoline yesterday and my son in law said surely thats easier with a knife and i had to agree i only get it out a couple of times a year.....So that is now in a charity bag waiting for a few more things to be added then off to the cs.
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1131.83/£2019
    0%/100%
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 17th Apr 19, 5:33 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 5,783 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    My charity bag didn't get collected on Monday but that was entirely my fault as I put it out too late and missed the collection van. Darn it! I took 2 bags to the charity shop on foot yesterday to make up for it though. I've spent the last few days sorting out the loft and now have piles of stuff ready for the charity shop and a whole load of kids clothes and toys to take to our relatives at the weekend.

I also spotted a request on a FB group for items for a baby due soon so I got rid of a changing bag, a baby gym and a load of muslins, towels, blankets and toys which got collected today. Feeling really happy I've created space and the stuff hadn't gone to sometime who needs then.

The next task will be getting the rest of the stuff I've sorted actually out of the house.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 17th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 48,260 Thanks
    Barny1979
    302-305. Cardboard boxes into recycling
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    306-308. Three tip runs with rest of the tree
    309. Old timber to the tip
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £550/£1809
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Apr 19, 10:05 PM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 16,873 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A small bag to charity today: a pair of shoes, an apron, 6 books that no one wants any more, 2 protractors and 5 set squares. Proof that these are not needed for most people in real life
    Also 8 bits of paper and a box of dud matches, and two old mascaras.
    Total 26 today and 543 so far this year.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £555.74/2,880.00 in 2019
    Decluttered in 2019: 543/2019 as of 17/4/19
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,775Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin