Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1,465Posts
    • 17,635Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 6:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread
Page 23
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 14th Jan 19, 5:15 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    Well, two charity bags dropped off today full of clothes and books our daughter has grown out off. Damaged clock dropped off at the tip along with some old coats. Local hospital didn't want a donation of old cuddly toys because of potential risk of bacteria/infection plus difficult to sterilise. So need to rethink my plan on this one. Making very slow progress as my wife is struggling at the moment with her mental health, but posting on this thread helps me in terms of the motivation. The decluttering of the attic has to be done bit by bit.
    Originally posted by leelad
    Not sure - but what about a rescue centre for the cuddly toys? Others might be able to advise whether this is suitable or indeed a ‘thing’! I know they take old blankets etc, so maybe they take cuddly toys?
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."
    • keepcalmandcraft
    • By keepcalmandcraft 14th Jan 19, 5:24 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    keepcalmandcraft
    I'd love to join again this year and will try and post more. I decluttered a lot last year but still have a lot to go so will aim for 2019.
    I started in my bedroom yesterday and so far have:
    10 books to phonebox library
    35 items of clothing to cs
    6 single duvet covers and sheets to cs
    2 sets broken fairy lights - bin
    1 mobile light thing - to cs

I will try and post more this year. It is an inspiration to read the thread emails every day.
    Keep up the good work!
    Stash busting challenge 2019: 15/150
    Declutter challenge 2019: 224/2019
    Stash busting challenge 2018: 105/150
    Declutter challenge 2018: 2018/2018

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Jan 19, 6:50 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Snail pace decluttering going on

*33 box of shortbread that DM didn't want- popped into the food bank
    *34 box of fruit tea that has been in the house for so long I was nearly charging it rent- recycling.

Sorted out a load of DDs stuff that she doesn't want from the downstairs cupboard today. Run it through a wash ready to go to CS on thursday.

Getting there slowly!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 14th Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 6,001 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Evening everyone

leelad - hope your wife is ok, as for the teddy bears a local nursery or childrens center may take them

Parsniphead - Know what you mean about the Hinchers! I Hinched for about 2 weeks and bought loads of products (which I can't use because of my asthma ) and couldn't keep up with cleaning everything haha.

Was the lofts turn today and cleared out 4 bags and took to the charity shop!

I have also cleared out the understairs cupboard and listed some bits on FB, I'm dropping 2 things off tomorrow for someone

Although I have decluttered a lot it still doesn't really look like I have done much So didn't realise how much carp I had!

Also getting somewhere with the emails gone from over 2K to 300! so I am getting there haha. Once I am down to 0 I need to check my emails once a day and unsub from the ones I don't need. I have a second account that I use for comps I enter so no need for my other one to be cluttered.
    Read my diaryHere
    • janejamie
    • By janejamie 14th Jan 19, 10:54 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    janejamie
    What a busy lot of people we are - well done all!

Went to tip yday with 8 tyres someone had cheerfully tipped over the wall into our garden wooded corner. Tip said only 4 tyres per day but eventually agreed to take all 8 to save me coming back the next day. I see the reasoning, but under the circumstances I was v pleased not to have to make a return journey! so that's

62-69 tyres to tip
    70-71 two bags of assorted recyclables gathered from the verge, also to tip
    72-73 two flebay sales, hurray! I am gathering other sellable stuff into a corner so I know where it is when I have time to do some listing. The side effect of all this flebaying is that I am also working through my huge pile of padded envelopes!

I am shortly to dispose of 6 packings for six lights that the sixth electrician has promised to come and put up for me. I think I believe this one will come back - I am trying not to get my hopes up too far though...

I have also at last put the towel rail up with proper fixings so it stays put, which I've been meaning to do for months, and I shall tackle the new bathroom blinds tomorrow.

The unloved dog toy which was in the box which went to the chazzer the other day has miraculously reappeared - on reflection, I think the hound sneakily retrieved it when I wasn't looking!

Have Kondo'd the last of the malt loaf and am now off to bed.

Night all!
    • janejamie
    • By janejamie 14th Jan 19, 10:55 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    janejamie
    nearly forgot!
    74 old calculator: new batteries couldn't revive it so it's a binner.
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 14th Jan 19, 11:54 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    White_musk
    Thanks MrSD I'll tell DH it's all down to your advice

I did persuade him to remake the bed yesterday......... well I'd managed to strip it earlier and put the bedding in the WM and it left me in soooooooo much pain . I also changed 2 thin pillows for a new thick one and the old ones are now in the bin. It's something I've been going to do for ages and I already had the new one, so thank you all for keeping me going, even if it's a only a little bit being decluttered at a time.
    Also out several more takeaway containers, why did I keep so many ?
    My goal for this week is to sort out my crafting stuff and hopefully donate some ( a lot ) to the DGD, she's only 7 but she does love to craft
    Happy decluttering everyone!!
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    I don't have takeaway very often but when I do I rehome my containers to my daughter. She works full time and has my granddaughter so does batch cooking at the weekend for quick mid week meals. The plastic containers are the perfect size for her, so she swipes them.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Jan 19, 12:22 AM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 16,124 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Six items yesterday and two today... I am failing to declutter some lollipop moulds which I've never used and which are cracked because at one point I thought they were going to make me supermum. Perhaps I will wake up with more sense tomorrow?
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £555.74/2,880.00 in 2019
    Decluttered in 2019: 299/2019 as of 10/3/19
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Jan 19, 1:23 AM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 17,635 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Monday and we have all been lazy DSis had an excuse - still not feeling very well. DH did go out for a 20 minute walk to get steps on his Fitbit I have stripped bed, washed & dried bed linen & remade bed, cooked fish, chips, peas & carrots for dinner for DH & I. My Fitbit has just told me I have been active for 10 out of 10 hours Not a single item decluttered so straight into cheerleading

CAFCGirl, you are allowed to slow down - it gives you the opportunity to recharge your ‘decluttering batteries’ Good luck today

parsniphead, you definitely have the ‘decluttering bug’ I would have put blinkers on & worked around/through DH I am sure he would have moved to his usual room
    here’s to seeing a difference

whmf00001, Well Done - a major sign of success - a room fit for visitors

GreenQueen, excellent numbers over the weekend at your mention of ‘aspirational’ jam jars - I think a lot of us have been there Useable kitchen drawers & cupboards - how joyous

Ginmonster, well done decluttering weight off your shoulders but with each trip to the CS you are decluttering weight elsewhere

sweetpea26, WELL DONE - you can believe in your decluttering skills

Cheapskate, what a marvellous weekend you have had on your decluttering journey Hope the beer was good Please stay firm on the attic declutter - your siblings need to know how unhappy you are at having clutter pressing down on you from the attic.

White_musk, getting excited about your next round of decluttering - I think that makes you ‘Patient Zero’ re the ‘Declutter Bug’ I use my takeaway containers for portions for freezer & some of them are used as plates for the fox

nannywindows, can you keep it up - maybe DH will realise that keeping a home clutter free, clean & tidy is not just down to one person Every single item out is a win so please do not berate yourself - little & often generally works with the added bonus that you will probably never regret the release of a single item
    I am being very cheeky now - Re your crafting stash can you dole it out a little at a time so DGD can give you lots of hugs & her parents won’t feel like you are getting rid of your clutter

Cranky40, an infection & asthma - I am impressed that you have done anything Items sold, wrapped & posted plus a freezer inventory & batch cooking I hope you have labelled

keepcalmandcraft - welcome back 54 items already & only 2 binned . I am sure that clutter breeds - you turn your back for a minute & it reappears

Happy Kitties, don’t forget to count the clothing going to the CS - it might be your DD’s but it is in your home

chocolatelover93, you have been a very busy declutterer You are currently decluttering hidden spaces - creating space which will come in handy when you start decluttering the visible clutter I am very impressed with your email decluttering & I hope your ‘comping’ is successful

janejamie, decluttering other people’s clutter - you are an The tale of the dog toy - had me in stitches I just had a mental picture of the dog creeping past you, keeping an eye out & sneaking away with the dog toy - hiding it until the cs bag had left the house

Cherryfudge, well done - a few items a day & saving items to be decluttered tomorrow Why didn’t I think of that Joking aside - aspirational items are some of the most difficult items to declutter - so go easy on yourself

Declutterers ‘United in our Mission’ to have a restful living space

See you tomorrow

MrsSD
    86/2019
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 15-01-2019 at 1:24 AM. Reason: Typo
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 15th Jan 19, 7:13 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    White_musk
    Brrrr. Morning all.

I quite like the title of patient zero, MrsSD. I have so little storage clutter has to be ousted as a necessity not choice. I'll take the title though, it's the only one I'm ever likely to get.

Confession time: I have been piling all my mail up and it's grown into quite a mountain. Even the mail I've dealt with has just been stashed. Today I'm going through it all, shredding and disposing of what I don't need. I shan't be admitting how much smaller the pile is, once done.

Have a great day all.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Jan 19, 7:13 AM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 18,707 Thanks
    villagelife
    Not posted for a bit as busy in RL.

39-43 pillows we had too many
    44-50 various pillowcases.
    51-53 socks
    54 a jacket of DH
    55 pair of trousers of DH
    56-57 two suit covers
    58-59 coathangers
    60 various packaging from chickens in DS2 room.
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 15th Jan 19, 7:25 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 7,009 Thanks
    somerandom
    somerandom & welcome aboard the ‘Decluttering Bandwagon’ No such thing as being late to the party Looking forward to hearing your tales of decluttering Have you decided on a number or are you working on a room by room basis? You have definitely come to the right place for encouragement
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thank you for the warm welcome @MrsSaladDog & what a good question!? Made me realise I hadn't thought my intentions through fully. I will give them some thought over the next day or so.... In the meantime I will start with counting items- this will include completing Life Admin /home- maintenance tasks which are my real nemesis - far more of an issue than physical stuff - although I do want to discard physical stuff also. So....

Yesterday - 9 items

1.Bracelet - gift
    2 & 3 - parcels returned
    4. Candels - binned
    5. xmas cards - recycling
    6 -9 - items from good quality (bargain) crackers - CS
    A Clutter Free Life 2019
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 15th Jan 19, 7:26 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 12,489 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    It’s grea to read everyone’s progeess on here. I am going with the 5 minutes a day almost every day and took two bags to the charity shop over the weekend. A spare mattress cover, unloved shirt, pencil case and other bits I can’t remember now!

3 huge boxes of packaging arrived yesterday for OH ebay project. They are currently pride of place in our living room so I will be glad when they go. Probably months to do it.

Most of our study contents are still downstairs instead of back upstairs and I’m working through one bookshelf steadily. lots of paper recipes have gone into recycling but more to do. I have tried 3 of these new recipes in the last fortnight which I think is more than the whole of 2018!

Happy decluttering everyone!
    Save 12K in 2019 #12 - £1609.91/£12,000
    Cutting Down Alcohol: 18/150 (F6|J 8|2018:86|2017:106|2016:83)
    2019 A clutter free life 5 minutes a day
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 15th Jan 19, 9:17 AM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 17,779 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Six items yesterday and two today... I am failing to declutter some lollipop moulds which I've never used and which are cracked because at one point I thought they were going to make me supermum. Perhaps I will wake up with more sense tomorrow?
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Please don't cherryfudge. Nothing good cones from having too much sense. I decluttered mine long ago.

I have boring old food shopping now so I have to wait before I get started properly. I did get rid of A flat can of pop and half a melted slush puppy from the car earlier. My car is like a travelling skip to be honest. Its a complete disgrace.

Right to. Finish my tea then Ald1s.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £502/£502 100% (paid off 30/06/18 - 2 months early )

Pay of all debt by xmas 2019 #09 - £0/ £8471 %
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 15th Jan 19, 9:18 AM
    • 3,194 Posts
    • 35,300 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all,

I'm still coughing and wheezing so gently does it. I haven't been counting so far but it's addictive so I think I'll join in. I'll start with the stuff I posted yesterday as I can't remember clearly what went before that so...

1-3 game figures sold on Ebay

Today I tidied one shelf in the book cupboard of doom while I was waiting for the kettle to boil. I didn't get rid of any of the books yet but there's a pile of stuff for the charity shop bag and I found several things that I've been looking for.... I've also sold more plastic junk treasure So, today's haul is :-

4-7 game figures sold on Ebay
    8 shin pads to charity shop
    9 Autograph book " "
    10 fossil guide " "
    11 fingerless gloves "
    12 wrist warmers "
    13 cat flea collar "
    14 -15 novelty pencils with novelty erasers also charity shop

I also found a "grow your own" carnivorous plant kit that I'd forgotten that we had. I'm going to plant that in a minute when I've finished my cuppa

Thanks to Mrs SD for the general encouragement
    Weight loss 2019 5 lbs
    • monks
    • By monks 15th Jan 19, 10:01 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    monks
    Hi all, few more bits decluttered, slowed down last few days with life getting in way, but plodding on.

144. Old bandage
    145. Box recycled
    146-147. Deodorants uu
    148. Old lipstick
    149. Bag paperwork
    150. Sun hat
    151-154 clothes
    155. Shampoo bottle uu
    156.glass bottle
    157-158. Bag paperwork/card
    159-163 cardboard boxes
    164. Calender
    165.pen
    166. Conditioner bottle uu
    167-168. Printer cartridges
    169. Sweet tub
    Annual GC £3000-J £136.78/£60
    -F £64.23/£20
    Nsd 16/31. 6/17
    EF#176 - £1000/£1000
    Weight loss 3/10
    Clutter free challenge169/2019
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 15th Jan 19, 10:32 AM
    • 345 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    whmf00001
    5 folders of Fanny Craddock magazines collected and one with knitting magazines in, soda syphon and cartridges gone, charity clothes being collected and adding to while I wait as is spiralizer. Had to buy new side lamp for re-worked box room but was talked out of 2 x bedroom clocks (everyone has mobiles now). Old childs bedside lamp which was not working properly is now in bin, broken down cardboard and old portable tv left with porter at supermarket to dispose of. Bag of old batteries ready to take for re-cycling. Have not yet taken biscuit/cake tins away, will try again on Freegle. Very very pleased with all that. Always sorting PC files, I will never ever cook all the recipes I have saved.
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    • 6,177 Posts
    • 30,403 Thanks
    choille
    Would like to join as I'm starting/have done for years - to behave like a real horder & it's getting out of hand.
    I have far too much stuff that's been kept because it may come in handy.
    I will try to start getting rid but don't now where to start although I do do Ebay so that is a start.
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 15th Jan 19, 11:47 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    Beshki
    I am finding that I’m getting quite disheartened going to bed having not decluttered, so have found that finding just one thing a day to go is helping with that. Last night it was an old pyjama top, the day before a pair of socks that had seen better days etc. It’s helping keep up the momentum!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Jan 19, 11:59 AM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 17,895 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I didn't bring the donation to the charity shop yesterday so it will go today. My husband can carry it as it is in one big bag for life now and it's quite heavy!
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,048Posts Today

6,234Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin