Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,778Posts
    • 22,379Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 5:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 05-07-2019 at 8:05 AM.
Page 122
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 24,281 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've used quite a few more toiletries. I just used the last of a serum up as body lotion.

I went through my bigger wardrobe again and took everything out vacuumed the carpet at the bottom and then put the clothes back in that I wanted to keep.

One dress is too big now, one dress is way too dressy for anywhere I go, one dress is still too tight across the chest and one dress is not very flattering so they can all be donated next week.

I also got rid of an old pair of trainers.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • never too old
    • By never too old 14th Jun 19, 12:53 PM
    • 2,959 Posts
    • 31,309 Thanks
    never too old
    Afternoon all

Managed to do a bit of decluttering this morning.2 inflatable airbeds boxed up ready to post to Wyatt&aJack.
    Brilliant company i stumbled across based on the IOW,they make bags out of inflatables like bouncy castles, airbeds, beach items that is destined for land fill.I have one tote bag and a purse

I know i have babbled on about Morrison's take it back scheme.I saw the store manager in my local store today and the plastic definitely doesn't go to landfill
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • choille
    • By choille 14th Jun 19, 1:55 PM
    • 7,533 Posts
    • 33,817 Thanks
    choille
    That's really handy to know Never Too Old.

Been a beach walk & picked up a fair bit of old twine - always do that. Most of the beach litter is off fishing boats but at this time of year you can get people leaving all their bottles and rubbish.

1 - Item posted - Not doing much decluttering at all & things are slow in selling what I have listed for sale.

1. old T Shirt holey so cut into rags for dusters.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 14th Jun 19, 5:12 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    TamsinC
    122 - 125 three large and now fairly soggy cardboard boxes that had been sat outside the back door for a few weeks went to the recycling today

We decluttered a job or two as well - as in things that needed doing - three walls given a first coat of paint, a flagstone relaid as it hadn't 'stuck', and a section of outside wall limed as the concrete had blown, and some general tidying up done outside too as it was starting to get me down.
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    126 - 127 two bags full of plastic taken to Morrisons
    128 - 135 various item to home recycling
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 14th Jun 19, 6:36 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 51,312 Thanks
    Barny1979
    638. Pair of trousers into charity bag
    639-640. Two pairs of shorts into charity bag
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    641-643. Cardboard into recycling
    644. Shoe rack built
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 209 AFDs up to end of September
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £875/£1809
    • onashoestring
    • By onashoestring 14th Jun 19, 6:40 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    onashoestring
    3 bin bags of clothes & a few books to CS .
    3 x bin bags of clothes & a few books to CS today.

Shoebox of paperwork sorted out & in recycling bin for collection Monday.

Lots more to do but it’s a start.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 14th Jun 19, 8:32 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 11,581 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Not much removing of clutter tonight. Rest of a Bottle of wine, does that count?
    Only the decluttering of ones purse - MOT, service and refill of air conditioning carried out today.
    Started to reorganise freezers. Still hoping to defrost freezer number three before all of this year's fruit is picked.
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1. £390
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82
    2019 - A clutter free life
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jun 19, 9:34 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 24,281 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Not much removing of clutter tonight. Rest of a Bottle of wine, does that count?
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    I certainly hope it does!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Jun 19, 1:25 AM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 22,379 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Friday was mostly dry - it only started to rain when I finally got around to running errands my own fault as I did faff around (this time last year we were having a heatwave - I am halfway through reading 2018 Decluttering thread ) DSis spent most of the day in her room after having a long soak in the bath DH went to W*ckes to pick up some new flooring for the hallway & cloakroom. I dropped off the cs bits & pieces - very lucky timing as the cs clothing shop was being closed early & the cs was open. No opportunity to look around as the cs was completely full of furniture - at least I saved my pennies Then went to MrA & did a fairly large shop including a big tray of chicken breasts & a very large joint of beef. Bus home (the shopping was rather heavy ) & everything put away. Chopped out the iffy bits of chicken & put in the fox’s food tray - bagged up & labelled 2/3rds of the chicken & put in freezer + created 3 smaller joints of beef & froze 2. Had chicken fried in butter with mushrooms, mash & sweetcorn - delicious 🤤
    Will get DH to make cheesey pasta tomorrow & we will have the remaining joint of beef as part of a full roast dinner on Sunday.
    I phoned the bank & paid my credit card bill & have been doing paperwork on & off all afternoon.

1803 - 1816 Milk carton, 2 drinks cans, empty beer bottle, food tin, 2 large cardboard boxes, medium cardboard box, 4 x cardboard packaging, 24 page booklet (read), 0.5” paperwork - Recycled
    1817 - 1818 Small bag of kitchen detritus, 1” paperwork shredded - Binned
    1819 - 1823 Three dried up glue tubes, 2 broken drill bits - Tip

Thanks for that Cherryfudge & Well Done on the decluttering especially the hair

Well Done Cazzatheclutterbug You ARE going to heaven - training the next generation not to put so much store in having lots of possessions In 50 or 60 years time, when you have shuffled off this mortal coil, your DDS will be thanking you for not having tons of clutter
    Your bedroom will truly be a haven but do not forget the lock Very Well Done on the weight loss You are decluttering on all fronts

whmf00001 - no mobile phone for me pen & paper shopping lists for me

Wednesday2000, your wardrobe decluttering is an inspiration & the cs must love you

Very impressed with your dedication never too old You are putting us to shame

choille, don’t be too down on yourself you are still getting ‘stuff’ out of your home

Well Done - TamsinC; Barny1979; that is an excellent start;

Don’t you just hate when everything comes along at once Gem-gem I am assuming you recycled the wine bottle so of course it counts as decluttering

See you tomorrow

MrsSD
    1823/2019
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Jun 19, 5:48 AM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 21,496 Thanks
    villagelife
    A couple from yesterday

604 a file given away
    605-607 various labels and things binned as has seen better days.
    608 a soap sample used up.
    609 magazine recycled.
    • onashoestring
    • By onashoestring 15th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    onashoestring
    Kitchen cupboard of shame
    3 x bin bags of clothes & a few books to CS today.

Shoebox of paperwork sorted out & in recycling bin for collection Monday.

Lots more to do but it’s a start.
    Originally posted by onashoestring
    Feeling spurred on by all your support, I tackled a kitchen cupboard this morning

From a decluttering perspective it was easy , majority of food was out of date :so it all had to go :

I feel so guilty about all this food waste.
    ( In my defence I’ve been through a very traumatic bereavement & time has stood still these passed 3 years )

Trying to make my self feel a teeny bit better
    Going to sort out the what can be recycled ( cardboard packaging) & what can be composted. (Sigh)
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 15th Jun 19, 9:44 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 4,989 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Man from EB... is coming with daughter to buy another item from me, maybe more you never know. 2nd dgs should be coming to collect b'day pressie and gift. Using last bits from fridge for meals today, Trying to get phone number for Sharp TV helpline to see if I can resolve a minor problem which will de-clutter mind if it gets sorted. Emptied some of the hair out of hair brush (seem to be losing it a bit now - old age) Thats about all I can think of for today, not a lot but something to keep me doing stuff.
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 15th Jun 19, 1:42 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Hi all. Back a few days ago from a week in the campervan in Sussex and Kent. Got very wet. Made me glad I wasn't camping.

Anyway, I accidentally bought a dresser (Welsh style) This has kicked off a full house reorganisation. I have chucked a bag of rubbish, another bag to the charity shop and more to go. I have also made room in the room of doom for the current sideboard which will be used as part of my craft room stores. That room will be getting hit over the next few months.

Bringing DD home from uni today so her room has had a clean up and declutter.

Quite pleased with all this activity seeing as I didn't burn many calories on hols seeing as it was too wet to walk.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in April 2021- 19 months to go.
    Challenges 2019: MFW 2019 #164 £1643.24/£3200 Make 2019 in 2019 #70 £1385/£2019 Stash Busting 2019 4/12 projects A Clutter free Life 2019 75/100 bags and 14 large items.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 15th Jun 19, 3:09 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 51,312 Thanks
    Barny1979
    641-643. Cardboard into recycling
    644. Shoe rack built
    645. Box of glass candle holders to charity shop
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 209 AFDs up to end of September
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 15th Jun 19, 10:35 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    TamsinC
    126 - 127 two bags full of plastic taken to Morrisons
    128 - 135 various item to home recycling
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    136 - 144 general household recycling
    145 - a book a friend lent me a few years ago has finally been delivered back - Have attempted to give it back a few times but she came to mine and kept forgetting to pick it up on the way out - now finally it is home.

Nothing much else as away at said friends.
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 16th Jun 19, 9:43 AM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 12,941 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Been Mia for a good while, but continuing to gather clutter I've came to the conclusion - I am was a hoarder .

Finally managed the shed, everything emptied out as it was a dry day, only for clouds to gather,
    and yes it did rain, luckily I had a tarpaulin which covered most, as it was only a shower, managed to
    get everything that was being kept, dried and back in. I do wonder where everything came from as I have as much clutter being thrown out as would fill another shed

Will declutter some of the shed paint once weather dry again

Off to sort through some more
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's
    Mortgage Free 21.12.18
    MF March 2030Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69, 2016/£3186.80, 2017 £4068.97

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Jun 19, 12:02 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 22,379 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Saturday was another mixed day - sunshine & rain DH did a bit of gardening & a bit of garage sorting after watching the MotoGP qualifying. He also cooked cheesy pasta using up most of the odds & ends of cheese & very nice too I finished making my soup but only blitzed & tasted today - a tad spicy but should be OK - fingers crossed 🤞
    Today is mixed weather again - no idea what happened to the promised sunshine I have done one load of washing but am having to dry in the td. Will be popping out for a quick shop as I need potatoes & Yorkshire puddings for todays full roast dinner.

1824 - 1835 Three milk cartons, 2 drinks cans, empty beer can, food tin, cardboard packaging, magazine, 100 page booklet (read), foil carton, plastic takeaway box & lid - Recycled
    1836 Small bag of kitchen detritus - Binned

Well Done - villagelife; whmf00001; Barny1979; TamsinC -

Excellent work on the shed A Frayed Knot I am sure that clutter breeds

Bit by bit, your holiday obviously did you good Demon decluttering

Sorry the last 3 years have been so hard onashoestring but looks like you are now coming into the light Forget about the ood food - what is Done is done Now you can plan what food to have in your empty cupboard As you pointed out a mug of is always a bright spot
    Keep up the good work - we are all cheering you on

See you tomorrow

MrsSD
    1836/2019
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Jun 19, 1:28 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 24,281 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I found 3 bags for life in with some important documents my husband wants to keep. God knows why he thought the bags for life should be stored there too!

I also found a book I had forgotten I bought.

Two of the bags for life were binned as the were in bad condition. Two of them were from Iceland, I don't even remember the last time I went into Iceland.

I added a few more tops to the donation bag along with some sunglasses cases I don't need. Maybe someone will want the cases if they are going on holiday or something.

Bottles bagged up for recycling and stale bread bagged up for the birds.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 16th Jun 19, 1:31 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 51,312 Thanks
    Barny1979
    645. Box of glass candle holders to charity shop
    646. Rolls of carpet offcuts to parents.
    • savvy
    • By savvy 16th Jun 19, 1:46 PM
    • 30,202 Posts
    • 47,067 Thanks
    savvy
    I have a tricky one to add!!!

My friend came round on Friday and we spent FOUR hours sorting through the ex's belongings he had left in my broken down car on the drive So much camping (mattress, sleeping bag, stove, mugs, cutlery, inflatable pillow, umbrella), football team (bag of footballs, cones, pop up goal, team kit), clothes (2 bin bags full) personal (photos, cards, CD's, DVD's, a big box of trophies, loads of unopened post etc) and electrical work/tools (tons of screws, cable clips, zip ties, lights, bulbs, rolls of wire, rubbish from jobs, light fittings, sockets, tools, drills, cases, switches, mains boards, things we didn't even know what they were) to go through.....that I just didn't have time to be able to count the ton of stuff we sorted!!

We filled the recycling wheelie bin (so me and lil son had to empty some and take to the tip yesterday), there was a bin bag full of rubbish, an old doggy seat cover of mine and a pair of my old shoes, a football (there were 7 in total and various football kit bits). We then recycled a load of stuff at the tip too, and sorted the rest into boxes that I'm hoping to dump at his sisters once I get the shed stuff finished.

The before and after pics are amazing though! SO I'm not sure how much to add to my total, but it's a ton of stuff gone and ready to go But I'm fuming that it was down to me to do and that a friend and my son also had to help

I think I'll go with about 500 actually removed from the property.....and that was just cable clips!

710/2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,607Posts Today

8,500Users online

Martin's Twitter