Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,777Posts
    • 22,375Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 5:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 05-07-2019 at 8:05 AM.
Page 121
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 12th Jun 19, 9:17 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 11,581 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I'm doing well in that department too. I found a stash of 5 shaving gel packs I bought my husband at the back of his wardrobe so I am using them up too!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I only gave two shower gels left.
    In the bath we use soap. We have LOaDS of soap.
    Also have three big containers of shampoo and conditioner - hopefully will keep me going till the end of the year.
    Body lotion - using up last of gift then on to the stuff that I bought.
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1. £390
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82
    2019 - A clutter free life
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 12th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 11,581 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    One small box - recycled
    That's all folks for today.
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 12th Jun 19, 9:36 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Evening everyone, making slow progress but at least it's progress! Have taken loads of paperwork into work to shred; binned some old yucky make up brushes and an old pillow. Also brought home from work a load of paper to put in my recycling as we don't have recycling facilities at work.
    Dx
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    Total CCs 2,370.05/4,500

£2 savers club 33
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Jun 19, 9:50 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A bit more progress today: a bag to the charity shop with a book and 9 bits of clothing that I've (ahem) outgrown. Then I posted a parcel that's been sitting in the dining room for a week, bringing my total for the year to date to 825 items.
    I will say absolutely nothing about the fact I brought in a box DD had put for recycling as it's just the size to keep some photos in.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £2877.91/2,880.00 to 04/09/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,899/2,019 as of 11/10/19
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Jun 19, 10:16 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 7,864 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Slowed down again but
    *234 small suitcase binned
    *235 small light casing-recycling
    *236 another small shower gel of DD stash used up and bottle now in recycling.

Lots of presents leaving the house this weekend= room
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 13th Jun 19, 7:09 AM
    • 806 Posts
    • 10,228 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    I will say absolutely nothing about the fact I brought in a box DD had put for recycling as it's just the size to keep some photos in.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    That’s ok, its a repurpose, still better than landfill.. You could always recycle it at a later date!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 2 JUNE GC £192.92/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 13th Jun 19, 10:43 AM
    • 729 Posts
    • 4,986 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Thanks for info Gem Gem. So pleased I had that app as I nearly bought sardines as well as pilchards (tins) and jar of anchovies I had forgotten I had already. Have just got one cupboard and the freezers to list now but that will take a few days. Think I will do the assorted gifts (Xmas/b'days etc) which I buy throughout the year and then forget about.
    • never too old
    • By never too old 13th Jun 19, 12:51 PM
    • 2,959 Posts
    • 31,309 Thanks
    never too old
    I am so envious that you have found someone who collects plastic / raise money from it. Also that your landfill rubbish is non-existent.
    I am also trying to work on the principle of buy less, less to discard later!
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    If you look on the Terracycle website,they show if collectors are in your area or look on Facebook
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • never too old
    • By never too old 13th Jun 19, 12:55 PM
    • 2,959 Posts
    • 31,309 Thanks
    never too old
    Evening everyone, making slow progress but at least it's progress! Have taken loads of paperwork into work to shred; binned some old yucky make up brushes and an old pillow. Also brought home from work a load of paper to put in my recycling as we don't have recycling facilities at work.
    Dx
    Originally posted by Deni debt-free dreamer

I thought it was just me that took paper home from work to recycle
    1% challenge no 70

£1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • never too old
    • By never too old 13th Jun 19, 12:58 PM
    • 2,959 Posts
    • 31,309 Thanks
    never too old
    Does anyone know the freezer app was called?
    1% challenge no 70

£1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 13th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    Rootle
    23/52 - my old house sign cleaned up, letters stuck back on, repainted and hung back in place. I was in the process of buying a new one so I'm glad that OH managed to do this, save some money and reuse what we had.

24/52 - a 2017 bag of coffee beans used up (and a bday card searched for from stocks and sent rather than buying a new one).
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jun 19, 3:42 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 22,375 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Apologies for not posting yesterday no excuse just sheer laziness
    The day started dry so DSis decided to do her washing & line dry - you’ve guessed - 10 minutes into the cycle the heavens opened & rained on & off for the rest of the day thank heavens for the td DH & I spent 3 hours in the garage trying to find a box of plastic fittings so that he could put the final touches to the repair on the motorbike. We cleared every shelf & emptied & sorted every crate - one at a time - tidying, sorting, decluttering & returning items to their correct places. Absolutely no success until the very last shelf & the box was hiding behind the spare bike batteries DH was rather annoyed but I was really pleased as we have bumped up my decluttering numbers I also emptied a small crate & dealt with all the contents ‘appropriately’ + had a quick check of the under sink cupboard Dinner was hm fish’n’chips & mixed vegetables. I then ‘decluttered’ 7 episodes of Call the Midwife from my planner

1744 - 1760 Four Small Cardboard boxes, 4 drinks tins, plastic takeaway box & lid, empty beer bottle, 3 milk cartons, uu soap dispenser, 2 plastic bottles, wastepaper basket full of paper & cardboard from DH - Recycled
    1761 Bag of kitchen detritus - Binned
    1762 - 1784 Broken small computer tower & innards, 4 metal bits, 5 worn out sanding blocks, 4 worn out sandpaper sheets, plastic box & lid, plastic tub, 3 broken paint rollers, coffee tin full of garage toot & fluids, 3 full tins of not required cleaning products - Tip
    1785 Spare battery charger to one of DH’s great nephews
    1786 - 1787 Ceiling light fitting, Calor gas light - CS

See you later when I return to cheerlead

MrsSD
    1787/2019
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 13th Jun 19, 3:57 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    TamsinC
    105 - 120 - recycling - paper, plastic, glass etc
    121 - worktop removed to install an oven for son in his 'flat' [a very posh word for it] joined to the house, it was a bit of a devil, involved very many screws, a hammer, a saw, and in the end a lot of brute force. The oven and its housing is now sat in the appropriate space and not just cluttering up the floor space. There is still titivating to do but it's plugged in and working.
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    122 - 125 three large and now fairly soggy cardboard boxes that had been sat outside the back door for a few weeks went to the recycling today

We decluttered a job or two as well - as in things that needed doing - three walls given a first coat of paint, a flagstone relaid as it hadn't 'stuck', and a section of outside wall limed as the concrete had blown, and some general tidying up done outside too as it was starting to get me down.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 13th Jun 19, 6:58 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 11,581 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Thanks for info Gem Gem. So pleased I had that app as I nearly bought sardines as well as pilchards (tins) and jar of anchovies I had forgotten I had already. Have just got one cupboard and the freezers to list now but that will take a few days. Think I will do the assorted gifts (Xmas/b'days etc) which I buy throughout the year and then forget about.
    Originally posted by whmf00001
    I keep a note of presents on my mobile phone so that I can keep track when I am out.
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 13th Jun 19, 7:01 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 11,581 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hubby took a bag of DVDs to the charity shop today. A combination of DVDs from my aunts and my house.

Post into the recycling bin.

Box of chocolates packaging recycled.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 13-06-2019 at 7:03 PM.
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 13th Jun 19, 9:23 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer

I thought it was just me that took paper home from work to recycle
    Originally posted by never too old
    I also take plastic bottles! Can't bear to throw away plastic and paper or anything that could be recycled... Dx
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    Total CCs 2,370.05/4,500

£2 savers club 33
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jun 19, 10:11 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 22,375 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Back to cheerlead & report on today’s activities (or lack of them in my case ) Weather was changeable - rain showers but no sunshine. DH made 3 trips to the Tip in between rain showers - 2 drop offs & 1 to find ID number for computer to be able to reload Windows - a wasted trip apart from the fact that he picked up doner kebabs for lunch - NO chips. So large that enough meat for the 3 of us to have some with the eggs & chips I cooked for dinner. DH has had a mini declutter in his office - found 10 - yes you read that correctly TEN hard drive disks - 9 of which have been destroyed by having holes drilled right through them I have decluttered a few more programmes from the planner My DB has just phoned so had a very nice chat - he is up in Inverness next week working for a few days.

1788 - 1791 Plastic bottle, 2 drinks cans, empty beer bottle - Recycled
    1792 Small bag of kitchen detritus - Binned
    1793 - 1802 Nine hard drives destroyed - Tip

Well Done Cherryfudge Decluttering two houses Re the clothes to cs - they were obviously shrunk in the wash - you forgot to turn the temperature down

Gold Star ⭐️ never too old - no landfill & raising money indirectly

Well Done Wednesday2000

Excellent work whmf00001 I love that your ebay buyer bought extra items & that you were flexible on price Every item out is a win & because you were flexible you saved time & effort by not having to list Also Well Done on the lists - you are being very MSE re buying presents, so listing them will be good for your bank balance - no duplicate presents

Well Done Cazzatheclutterbug You are doing really well - you have powered your way through the 150 barrier & are now on your way to 200 I am also very proud of you for training up the next generation of declutterers - start ‘em young

savvy - very gratifying to sort a ‘problem’ & declutter at the same time

Well Done villagelife, Gem-gem, Deni debt-free, Happy Kitties, TamsinC, Rootle still decluttering

See you tomorrow

MrsSD
    1802/2019
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 13-06-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Jun 19, 11:42 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Cherryfudge

Well Done Cherryfudge Decluttering two houses Re the clothes to cs - they were obviously shrunk in the wash - you forgot to turn the temperature down
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    How very observant of you, MRs SD! I do like observant people.

7 pieces of defunct vegetation decluttered from my fridge today... and I didn't think I could count the hoovering as decluttering but in fact it did declutter a layer of hair from in front of the dressing table. Not as obvious as it once would have been - the carpet hasn't changed but it appears my once-brown hair now matches it. Good job grey is trendy.

So that's eight items. 833 in total, I think.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £2877.91/2,880.00 to 04/09/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,899/2,019 as of 11/10/19
    • Cazzatheclutterbug
    • By Cazzatheclutterbug 14th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    Cazzatheclutterbug
    Happy Friday everyone!

Thank you Mrs SD, bought a smile to my face. I am trying to teach my eldest that we cannot keep everything and it is better to let stuff go that we don't want or need anymore. She is doing really well and before last Xmas she got rid of lots of toys and clothes she didn't want anymore because I told her that Santa will think she doesn't need anything as she has so much stuff..... I'm not going to heaven am I ! This was also helped by the fact she was getting her first bike and was super excited about that! Bless, she isn't even four yet!
    Ok, on to the serious matter at hand: decluttering!
    164-167: clothes to CS- not wanted because I have lost a stone in weight originally put on from comfort eating after my mum died in October. Just 1 more to lose and I will be at my pre pregnancy weight.
    168-169: cereal box toys to CS - swiped before the DDS realised they were in the box
    170; kids plastic whistle-CS
    171- instruction manual- recycled
    172-173; cardboard dvd slips - recycled
    174; broken kids wand - binned
    175-177; wallpaper samples from posh paint company to the CS
    178; baby car seat to BIL for child due in August, felt sad to see that go as my baby has moved up to the next size seat where has that almost year gone?)
    179-180: ood food - binned
    181; curtain binned because it had gone mouldy. We have 'issues' with our conservatory that I think only a bulldozer could sort out!

My bedroom haven is still being decorated by moi! Needed more paint from posh paint people and that was delivered yesterday, I can only decorate when my DDS are in bed so it is a slow process but ... 7 walls worth of paint to do (finish 3rd coat on 3 walls and then possibly a 4th) and 2 coats on woodwork and that part of the project will be completed. Just relieved the ceiling is completed. Worst ever part of decorating for me!
    Hope everyone is well, I am aiming to make it to 200 items by the end of the day.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 14th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 729 Posts
    • 4,986 Thanks
    whmf00001
    It could be the one I mentioned free Listonic. I do have a shopping list app on moby which is the one I mostly use but the one for freezers/cupboards etc is also on moby but I regard it as a permanent list. I list pressies on my PC but will put on my moby list for when out and about, the PC spreadsheet keeps track of previous year & cards etc. I paid for shopping basket app after trying it free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

2,164Users online

Martin's Twitter