Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 27th Dec 18, 1:57 PM
    • 3,627Posts
    • 4,855Thanks
    Dobbibill
    3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge (part 2)
    • 27th Dec 18, 1:57 PM
    3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge (part 2) 27th Dec 18 at 1:57 PM
    Hi All,

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

As we go into 2019 we are moving forward with the 3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge and as such a shiny new thread here for part 2.

The old thread is here.

Your goal can be as much or as little as you want. Some aim for 3 months spending, others 3 months income or even push it further for 6 months worth.
    There is no timescale and you can do it at your own speed. Plod along or race through to your goal. It's your goal, your choice.

It's always good to review where you are with your goals every now and again so I completely understand if people want to prioritise other things ahead of this challenge. Just let me know and I'll release your number.

If you change your mind later, feel free to pop back and rejoin. You are always welcome and can have a shiny new number.

I will hold everyone's current numbers until the end of January. Once this comes, I will shuffle the numbers to fill the lower numbers first. If you want to keep your original number let me know, that will be fine too.

For now, keep on keeping on with those goals.

Dobbi
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
Page 8
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 8th Apr 19, 5:14 PM
    • 3,627 Posts
    • 4,855 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    post #2 updated.

Well done to everyone who is contiuing to add to their fund no matter how big or small.

Keep on keeping on.

Dobbi
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Scrimps
    • By Scrimps 13th Apr 19, 3:16 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    Scrimps
    Could I join please? We had a emergency fund of 6k but just had to take 3k out for a variety of car disasters and a new/second hand car purchase, at the same time as going down to 1 salary for the next 2 months due to maternity leave (thank goodness for emergency funds though, the series of issues would have been a lot more stressful without it)

We need to get it back to 6k asap but my target to aim for for this challenge is to add 3k to it.
    MFW: May 17: 143,000 o/s. Oct 17: 135,090 o/s. End Nov:133,588 Mid March 131,490.18
    OP Target 12k by end May 18. As @ end March 18: 8,170.48
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Apr 19, 8:07 AM
    • 3,627 Posts
    • 4,855 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Could I join please? We had a emergency fund of 6k but just had to take 3k out for a variety of car disasters and a new/second hand car purchase, at the same time as going down to 1 salary for the next 2 months due to maternity leave (thank goodness for emergency funds though, the series of issues would have been a lot more stressful without it)

We need to get it back to 6k asap but my target to aim for for this challenge is to add 3k to it.
    Originally posted by Scrimps

Welcome Scrimps
    You are #22 - I've added your full goal to post #2. If you would rather it amended to 3k let me know.
    I don't think we realise the importance of an EF until we need it. Keep us updated, we will be cheering you on from the sidelines.
    Dobbi.

• GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 15th Apr 19, 7:39 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    No. 12 checking in - another 55 tidied from my budget and added to the EF. This takes me to 1255/5400.
    • skye blue
    • By skye blue 16th Apr 19, 8:59 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    skye blue
    Hi (No 2)

Nothing saved for a few weeks due to family member in hospital and all associated costs really add up (parking, extra petrol for journeys, treats for patient etc)

So just my 20 interest to add

Ive not given up just come to a temporary halt but after this months car insurance has been paid for hopefully back at it again

Have a great easter break everyone and thanks to the people who have to work

Thanks
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 18th Apr 19, 6:45 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Another entry for me please - an unexpected few hundred extra means my EF can go up to 30%!

No. 12 now 1620/5400
    • MrsMouse
    • By MrsMouse 18th Apr 19, 11:51 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    MrsMouse
    Afternoon everyone, number 15 checking in with an extra 49.00 please Dobbibill

Have a lovely Easter.
    MrsMouse

#47 - 2019 MFW (Target: 484.13/1000.00)
    #15 - 3/6 month Emergency Fund Challenge
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 18th Apr 19, 6:38 PM
    • 3,627 Posts
    • 4,855 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Post #2 updated.

Well done to everyone managing to top up their EF. Even a little here and there makes a difference when you reflect back.

My update - A cheeky 100 added so back up to 5550/6000 for the moment aka 92.50%

Keep on keeping on

Dobbi

• blue_mango
    • By blue_mango 19th Apr 19, 9:50 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    blue_mango
    #9 Added a tiny bit to my savings, now it's 1,161/3,000.

Currently putting some monies away for a holiday in a few months time. Not that I'm in a position to take holidays, but need to visit my parent and that always ends up being expensive as I feel obliged to help financially once I'm there.

Hi (No 2)

Nothing saved for a few weeks due to family member in hospital and all associated costs really add up (parking, extra petrol for journeys, treats for patient etc)

So just my 20 interest to add

Ive not given up just come to a temporary halt but after this months car insurance has been paid for hopefully back at it again

Have a great easter break everyone and thanks to the people who have to work

Thanks
    Originally posted by skye blue
    You have a very good mindset when it comes to savings, well done.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,451Posts Today

4,275Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin