Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 25th Dec 18, 1:33 PM
    • 15,095Posts
    • 58,233Thanks
    joansgirl
    Grub that you miss....
    • 25th Dec 18, 1:33 PM
    Grub that you miss.... 25th Dec 18 at 1:33 PM
    Been prompted by Z's thread about pickle to start this one.

Did your Parents/Grandparents (step parents/carer/whoever looked after you as a nipper she says desperately trying to NOT offend anyone) ever make any kind of food when you were young that you either can't get anymore or you can't make like they used to?

I've said on the pickle thread about Dad's tickled bunions but he also used to make Brawn by boiling a pigs head and adding gawd knows what as well as gelatine, pour it in a bowl, let it set then tip it onto a plate, like you would do with jelly.

It was the best thing to have in sandwiches, along with lots of brown sauce.

Mum used to buy cheap Breast of Lamb from the butchers (I think they were 6d each) and cook them up for the dog. Dad would come home from work and decide they were too good for the dog so he would have them instead

And Mum and Nan would cook proper steak and kidney puds and steam them for hours.
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
Page 2
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 27th Dec 18, 10:00 AM
    • 15,095 Posts
    • 58,233 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Just thinking that if everyone's mum was a good cook, why are ready meals so popular now?
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    My Mum was an adequate cook but, like me, not what you'd call good. Dad was the cook, his basics were brilliant. He learnt to cook when he did his National Service in the RAF catering corps.

What did the poor old dog get then?
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    She had to make do with her usual tinned meat and mixer.

I also remember there was an elderly Irish woman who lived up the road and every week she would cook herself a traditional Irish stew. She would always make too much and would bring what was left round in a big plastic bowl and give it to Mum for the dog.

Well, considering what used to happen to the breast of lambs it will come as no surprise that this stew was also deemed too good for the dog Mum and Dad would scoff it during the week for lunch and when it was all gone Mum would wash the bowl up and send me back to Mrs Rogers with it. Mum would say "Say 'thank you very much Mrs Rogers' but don't you dare tell her we ate it!"
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 27th Dec 18, 10:36 AM
    • 15,892 Posts
    • 22,244 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I miss Tunis Cake

I'm drooling just thinking about it
    Originally posted by Jemima FuddleCup
    Dear God! That looks disgusting. 🤮
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Jemima FuddleCup
    • By Jemima FuddleCup 27th Dec 18, 12:41 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    Jemima FuddleCup
    Madeira sponge cake with an inch of chocolate on the top... nom-nom
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 27th Dec 18, 6:02 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 3,136 Thanks
    harrys nan
    Mum's Stovies, no-one else's comes close.

Mum was a really good cook and baker of cakes so I could list quite a lot of things that I miss of hers but top of the list would be the stovies.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    When my mum was in the hospital, just before she passed away, the only thing she asked for was stovies. I never got to make her any as she never came out, even though the hospital said she would. Her mum's family was from Scotland.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 27th Dec 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 3,136 Thanks
    harrys nan
    I miss Frizzets if anyone remembers them, little savoury pancakes that you mixed up the powder with a little water and dropped them into hot oil
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better
    • Sparkychap
    • By Sparkychap 9th Jan 19, 12:29 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Sparkychap
    My grandfather was the cook. He made amazing bread. Also he made jars of pickles and he once caught me in the kitchen tucking into them, I was six.

Grandma use to make cakes, lots of cakes. Loved especially her Victoria Cake - a cross between a Victoria sandwich and fruit xake. She also made a mean trifle.
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 9th Jan 19, 9:10 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 6,838 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    I still miss pork chops with the kidney attached.
    Another reason to hate the European Community.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Jan 19, 4:46 PM
    • 11,751 Posts
    • 31,696 Thanks
    suki1964
    I still miss pork chops with the kidney attached.
    Another reason to hate the European Community.
    Originally posted by welshbookworm

I miss those as well.Me and my dad used to pick the chop with the biggest bit of kidney - lovely

I also miss my nan's steak and kidney pudding and spotted !!!! pudding

And my Aunty Pat used to make the most amazing plate pies with left over Sunday joint. Oh they were lovely, more pastry and gravy then meat but I loved them
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 12th Jan 19, 4:57 PM
    • 39,164 Posts
    • 87,467 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Mum's drop scones and Brighton sandwich, and Grandma Fruitcake's maids of honour.
    Granny Fruitcake couldn't cook.

My brother dad and me all head to learn how to cook when R Mar went into hospital and between us we did a passable Sunday roast. I also learned how to cook a decent steamed syrup sponge that mum always called a wait and see pudding.

I love the Yorkshire curd cake we used to get at school when I lived oop norf. Sadly it's not readily available by here in the land of the mangold wurzel.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • horleyflyer
    • By horleyflyer 12th Jan 19, 10:52 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 5,343 Thanks
    horleyflyer
    Ice cream pudding! Mum used to make it.
    No clue what it really was as it was served hot. It was white...and vanilla flavour as I remember with the consistency of custard
    Girls do it better....
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 12th Jan 19, 11:18 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    My mum's curry recipe, I have inherited the recipe cards with the recipe on but over the years she changed the spice ratios and it was all stored in her head .. I have tried to make it myself but have not got the mix as she made it.

Why could she have not made notes on the recipe?
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

524Posts Today

5,144Users online

Martin's Twitter