Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 25th Dec 18, 9:33 AM
    • 2,013Posts
    • 3,596Thanks
    Zinco
    Pickled Eggs
    • 25th Dec 18, 9:33 AM
    Pickled Eggs 25th Dec 18 at 9:33 AM
    I used to like them, although i have not had them for years.

Anyway i bought a jar 3 weeks ago.

I've kept seeing them in their jar everytime that i've opened the food cupboard... now i've gone right off the idea of them

Do you like pickles in jar, veg etc?

Maybe you make your own?

Page 1
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 25th Dec 18, 11:29 AM
    • 14,221 Posts
    • 28,020 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 25th Dec 18, 11:29 AM
    • 25th Dec 18, 11:29 AM
    Not keen on the pickles that I've tried except onions, but don't think I've ever tried a pickled egg even though I eat eggs most days.

Might be good for methane production ...
    Weekly Distance Walked 41km / Total For Year 65km

Anything posted here falls under The Official Secret Eater's Act
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 25th Dec 18, 12:20 PM
    • 15,546 Posts
    • 21,633 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 25th Dec 18, 12:20 PM
    • 25th Dec 18, 12:20 PM
    My wife pickles hen and duck eggs.

I might have one now.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 25th Dec 18, 12:21 PM
    • 9,230 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 25th Dec 18, 12:21 PM
    • 25th Dec 18, 12:21 PM
    This is definitely one for the "Old Style" or "In my home" boards..!
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 25th Dec 18, 1:24 PM
    • 14,912 Posts
    • 57,774 Thanks
    joansgirl
    • 25th Dec 18, 1:24 PM
    • 25th Dec 18, 1:24 PM
    I buy bog standard pickles form the supermarket, I especially like mustard piccalilli.

My Dad used to sit and peel hundreds of shallots every Christmas which were then pickled in those big old glass sweet jars you saw in old fashioned Tobacconists/sweet shops. I miss them Shop bought aren't the same at all.
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 25th Dec 18, 3:26 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 16,440 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 25th Dec 18, 3:26 PM
    • 25th Dec 18, 3:26 PM
    OH does lots of pickles.
    Onions, cabbage, eggs.
    Piccalilli, with and without some added chilli.
    The onions don't agree with me as much as they used to.
    Home made pickled eggs are great Sleazy. Not difficult to do either.
    Nice with a bag of crisps!
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 25th Dec 18, 4:23 PM
    • 23,040 Posts
    • 57,818 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 25th Dec 18, 4:23 PM
    • 25th Dec 18, 4:23 PM
    This year I have spicy red cabbage, hot and spicy beetroot, hot and spicy onions, and regular (not silverskin) onions.

As I don't like eggs, I'm not of a mind to try the pickled variety. And I know that I don't like guerkin.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 25th Dec 18, 5:47 PM
    • 15,546 Posts
    • 21,633 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 25th Dec 18, 5:47 PM
    • 25th Dec 18, 5:47 PM
    This is definitely one for the "Old Style" or "In my home" boards..!
    Originally posted by pogofish
    This the Arms, where more appropriate to find pickled eggs?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Sparkychap
    • By Sparkychap 9th Jan 19, 12:30 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Sparkychap
    • 9th Jan 19, 12:30 AM
    • 9th Jan 19, 12:30 AM
    I love eggs. I love pickles. Seriously will never eat a pickled egg.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 9th Jan 19, 9:37 AM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 11,925 Thanks
    NBLondon
    My Dad used to sit and peel hundreds of shallots every Christmas which were then pickled in those big old glass sweet jars you saw in old fashioned Tobacconists/sweet shops. I miss them Shop bought aren't the same at all.
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Reminds me of my gran's home-pickled onions with cold meat at a Sunday high tea when we visited. The nearest shop-bought equivalent I can find is Garners .

Who also do pickled eggs. Which I like occasionally with fish and chips. I don't like mustard so the piccalilli is left for m'wife. Having a damson tree, we make chutney once a year which last 9 months or so depending on size of harvest and how many jars are given/traded away. If it runs out, I might have to buy Branston.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Jan 19, 12:10 PM
    • 38,540 Posts
    • 86,414 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    I made a batch of tickled eggs afore Solstice. As this was the first attempt I decided to use pickling vinegar that already has a selection of spices added rather than using plain malt vinegar and adding my own.

I did add black pepper and four serving spoonfulls of sugar though. I think they are great but many family members don't.

I've got a bag of shallots ready to pickle and intend to add a jar of honey to them, but health issues have prevented me from getting round to it yet. The main reason for this is that my Lovely Cousin has forbidden me from preparing anything in the kitchen due to the alleged predicted smell, and it's been too cold and damp for me to do it in my workshop to whence I have been banished for this project.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 9th Jan 19, 4:18 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Do chip shops still have a jar of pickled eggs on the counter ?
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Jan 19, 5:01 PM
    • 38,540 Posts
    • 86,414 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Do chip shops still have a jar of pickled eggs on the counter ?
    Originally posted by Tallaght
    I believe some still do, as well as some pubs.

I'm not sure about places like Pret A Manger though.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 09-01-2019 at 5:05 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    • 8,614 Posts
    • 27,510 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    If you must buy a jar of pickled eggs, rather than pickling your choice of eggs with your choice of vinegars & spices, do please lift it carefully & not by anything resembling a handle fastened to the lid.

My husband had a similar "ooh!" impulse a few years ago & when he decided that actually what he really needed to do right now was extract an egg - well, the vinegar mixture sloshed over most of the carpet, the cap broke in three places & the eggs rolled like a disorderly Easter parade.

Since then, he has stuck to pickled onions. I may point him toward a traditional sweet jar, the shallots & offer a box of eggs, but I fear it may all be too traumatic.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 9th Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 3,698 Thanks
    tealady
    Reminds me of my gran's home-pickled onions with cold meat at a Sunday high tea when we visited. The nearest shop-bought equivalent I can find is Garners .

Who also do pickled eggs. Which I like occasionally with fish and chips. I don't like mustard so the piccalilli is left for m'wife. Having a damson tree, we make chutney once a year which last 9 months or so depending on size of harvest and how many jars are given/traded away. If it runs out, I might have to buy Branston.
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    That reminds me many years ago a colleague used to bring in proper home made damson jam. It had the stones in which gave a faint almond taste. Now I cannot eat damson jam without the stones!
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Jan 19, 4:35 PM
    • 11,563 Posts
    • 31,251 Thanks
    suki1964
    How weird that I stumbled across this thread

On my "holiday" from here, was down the pub one evening and the lads were bemoaning that pubs no longer have the jar of pickled eggs on the bar, and Ive been tasked with making them

They tell me that in the days of the old style breathalysers the vinegar apparently mucked up the readings so you couldn't get done
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Jan 19, 7:10 PM
    • 15,546 Posts
    • 21,633 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    The pub I frequent has them. 50p each.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 12th Jan 19, 11:40 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 5,062 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    My mum always used to do pickles for christmas (eggs, beetroot, onions and red cabbage). She always used to make me a jar of each, she knew I hated them but felt I should have them in in case anyone visited who would eat them!! Nobody ever did (I am not Norman no mates, I don't know anyone who eats the things).
    Sadly we lost mum over 3 years ago - I now miss having 4 jars of pickles every year that no one ever eats.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • JIL
    • By JIL 13th Jan 19, 12:30 AM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 21,444 Thanks
    JIL
    I bought some a while ago, ate them and used the vinegar to make some more.
    I also love pickled walnuts.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 13th Jan 19, 12:06 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 10,389 Thanks
    minimad1970
    I've never tried a pickled egg. I wouldn't put vinegar on a boiled egg so the thought of it puts me off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

2,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin