Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 21st Dec 18, 7:36 AM
    • 433Posts
    • 2,335Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    2019 Transforming and Becoming Mortgage Free!
    • 21st Dec 18, 7:36 AM
    2019 Transforming and Becoming Mortgage Free! 21st Dec 18 at 7:36 AM
    Happy Solstice!!

I'm starting a new diary as today is the new start on the final part of my mortgage journey

Sorry for the long thread title, but that's what this is for me!! Winter Solstice 2018 to Winter Solstice 2019 is my transformative year - I intend to be sitting here 365 days from today in a renovated home that I own outright and I love, planning the garden works which will be beginning in the spring of 2020.

So, that's a year of being as frugal as possible, ploughing on with the house renovations, keeping an iron grip on the budgets, spending reduced, income hopefully increased while doing something everyday towards achieving those financial targets.

It's not just the finances that are being overhauled though - it's me, my home, my lifestyle, my environment. It's a lot to take on at once but I'm absolutely okay with that - I've been down a number of routes previously and I know what works and what doesn't for me The main thing here is the realism of both the time frame and the outcome. It is genuinely achievable if I keep tight control.

I've got a million plans in my head which I will share soon (on my phone at the moment and a bit old for this kind of typing! )

A couple of them are:
    -Use this diary daily to document what I have done towards achieving the house renovations and mortgage freedom
    - Update budgets and spending diary daily
    - Daily self care
    The rest I'll add when I can type properly!!

The main thing is that I will be mortgage free in a year

I'm actually incredibly excited despite the apprehension

Hope you all have a fab day!!
    12 Month Challenge:[COLOR=]"Red"Mortgage - 4920/16000 ; MFW 2019 No. 58 GC 587.26/3600 Jan 270/Feb 50/ March 87.26/April 180
Page 3
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 27th Mar 19, 6:17 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Another 21 off the mortgage this week thanks to emptying the change jar!

Not a lot happening on the house front at the moment...extremely busy week at work and family coming for the weekend so concentrating on getting the house more liveable than anything else!! however, from Monday it will be all hands to the deck so to speak - I still want it all done by the end of April so the pressure is really on
    I think it might run into May if I'm honest - we can't get the remaining doors until the carpets are down and can't get the carpets until the other work is done...if we can complete everything other than doors by the end of next month though, I'll be happy enough with that - not going to let the hoards know that though got to keep them on their toes

Mortgage changes to svr at the end of this week- I'd expected a letter by now from the mortgage company as we haven't gone for another deal but nothing has arrived yet... guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens on Monday!

29 weeks and 5 days to go!
    12 Month Challenge:[COLOR=]"Red"Mortgage - 4920/16000 ; MFW 2019 No. 58 GC 587.26/3600 Jan 270/Feb 50/ March 87.26/April 180
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 27th Mar 19, 5:02 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    My word squirrel you are busy, making me tired just reading what your up to.
    CRx
    Mortgage 82,000, due to end July 2036. 18/1/2019 Mortgage 79,150.55
    #67 mortgage free wannabe 2019 157.48/800
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 2nd Apr 19, 12:12 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Another 650 off the mortgage today still a couple of months to go before I can hit it properly but I'm really looking forward to it!!

I'm taking today to get my head clear and chill after a very busy but fab weekend with family then tomorrow it's all systems go on the house.

I'm chucking food together tonight from leftovers and then I'll sort a meal plan out for the rest of the week- hopefully grocery spends will be minimal for the next couple of weeks, I just need to be creative

So 24 weeks to go!!
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 3rd Apr 19, 12:37 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    An additional 1350 off the mortgage today very pleased with this as the more I can get rid of early on the less interest I'll pay
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 3rd Apr 19, 12:39 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Also realised I made a typo yesterday...it's 28 weeks to go!! (Wishful thinking obviously!! )
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Apr 19, 2:54 PM
    • 62,695 Posts
    • 272,697 Thanks
    beanielou
    An additional 1350 off the mortgage today very pleased with this as the more I can get rid of early on the less interest I'll pay
    Originally posted by squirrelgirl
    Great amount
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 9th Apr 19, 7:58 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Additional 10 to the mortgage today It seems a bit pointless in comparison but I'm determined to make an op every week!!

House is moving forward...had someone out to measure up for carpets today, the staircase spindle order is going in tomorrow (had to confirm measurements first) so they should arrive next week. Dh is laying the tiles in the hall this weekend, ds is sorting some woodwork and we have the list of jobs sorted!! Other than the doors, it should all be finished by the 2nd week of May I really am looking forward to it

The carpets are hopefully going to come in under budget (although the staircase is very much over budget!! ) so we may be able to knock a bit more time off the mf date! fingers crossed but I'm counting no chickens On the plus side, I should have a really good idea at the end of the month on where the finances are and what we can do to bring the mf date closer...it feels like it's been such a long process, I'll be glad of the clarity!!

27 weeks to go.....
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 11th Apr 19, 10:11 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    One of the carpets I wanted is no longer available so I have to choose something else now! it means another trip out so I'm thinking that I'll kill two birds with one stone and get the sofa bed and grandbaby's bed sorted at the same time

Carpets are deffo going to be under budget and the staircase isn't going to be as far over budget as I thought so I'm immensely happy about that- just need to make sure that I don't start thinking I'm home free before I actually am!

Lots to do this next few weeks but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel now - hopefully by the end of this month it will just be carpets and doors left to do!
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 12th Apr 19, 7:21 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Carpets chosen, ordered and being fitted the first week of May!! I have found the sofa bed I want, ordered the my grandbaby's bed and bedding and now have a ballpark figure for the understair doors which is lower than I expected
    We are ploughing on with the work remaining so when the carpets arrive, the only thing left to do will be the internal doors I am immensely happy at the moment- having an end date after all this time is such a relief

As many of the things are coming in under budget, it also means that our mf date is closer than ever...I'll have a definite target date the day after the carpet delivery as thats when my final expense will occur (the doors ) I may be wishing my life away at the moment but it's for a really good cause!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Apr 19, 1:14 PM
    • 62,695 Posts
    • 272,697 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 16th Apr 19, 7:00 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Thanks beanie!

Getting the tiling done is taking longer than expected but hopefully will be done by tomorrow... I haven't put anything to the mortgage today as I will be making an op on thursday instead....it's looking pretty good to get it cleared by October still and there is a possibility it could be sooner but Im not totally convinced so its more of a hope than a target!

Dh and I have been talking about what we plan to do when its finished - unfortunately the places we had on the bucket list are predominantly in South America and currently not safe to travel too looks like we'll be doing the things closer to home first and keeping our fingers crossed that we'll be able to do them in a couple of years

Its weird really, being this close to being mf has been something we have been working towards for a long time and now it's around the corner it doesn't seem real ...perhaps its just a concern that the whole thing will feel a bit anti-climactic at the end....I'm sure I won't feel like this when we finally get there, its probably just the jitters in case it doesn't work out and I'm still paying it next year!!

Anyhoo...26 weeks to go (hopefully!! )
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 18th Apr 19, 6:18 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Another 860 to the mortgage today!

Its all very positive here...the tiling is done, the handrails for the stairs are ordered, the metal strips have arrived and its the last day of the working week

I'm feeling better about stuff now - think I was just having a bit of a wobble the other day! I have so much going on with the house I just don't seem to have any proper 'down' time and I know that it will just intensify over the next couple of weeks but I have decided that when it has been done, dh and I will have a few days off together to just chill out and relax it may put the mf date back a couple of weeks but to be honest, in the grand scheme of things, we really don't care!

We're still deciding on our post-mortgage and house renovation existence but one of my favourite things to do (that costs money) is to sit in Covent Garden, listening to opera, eating olives and drinking champagne- I know it's completely decadent and a waste of cash but the weekend after we finish the mortgage, that's exactly what we are heading!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Apr 19, 10:52 AM
    • 62,695 Posts
    • 272,697 Thanks
    beanielou
    Covent garden & champange sounds blooming good to me

***Keep plodding***
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 24th Apr 19, 7:46 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    20 op yesterday

House is coming on nicely...quite a few little jobs left to do and one big one but we had a really productive weekend It was also a very expensive one but all house related so happy with that! The only things left to buy now are a couple of bits of wood and the doors - should be less than 1500 which means we can then concentrate on the mortgage!!

Its less than two weeks now before the carpets will be laid...I cannot begin to explain how much I am looking forward to living in a clean house rather than a building site!! I am just beyond fed up with it all now - I feel constantly dirty and look at my surroudings in despair so having the end of it in touching distance is an amazing feeling!

Anyway, better get on with some work!

25 weeks to go....
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 19, 1:10 PM
    • 62,695 Posts
    • 272,697 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,945Posts Today

7,040Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin