Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • janeke
    • By janeke 19th Dec 18, 7:43 AM
    • 100Posts
    • 12Thanks
    janeke
    TSB transfer limit?
    • 19th Dec 18, 7:43 AM
    TSB transfer limit? 19th Dec 18 at 7:43 AM
    I have recently opened a TSB current account which is taking funds from my late father`s estate. When all of the money is in I will need to pay my brother 100,000+. What would be the best way to do this? He lives 100 miles away and I don`t want to post him a cheque.
    I presume TSB has a daily limit for transfers but I can`t find it on the website
Page 1
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 19th Dec 18, 8:01 AM
    • 837 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:01 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:01 AM
    You could send the money via a CHAPS payment if you need to guarantee it will arrive the same working day, or otherwise split it into several smaller faster payments that will bring each individual transfer under the payment limit per transaction. Multiple duplicate transactions may get flagged as suspicious, so it may be worthwhile contacting them ahead of time just to let them know
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 19th Dec 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    18cc
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:17 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:17 AM
    I had to do this a couple of years ago and for many reasons I simply wrote a cheque and posted it to the beneficiary
    • broju
    • By broju 19th Dec 18, 8:19 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    broju
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:19 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:19 AM
    Give them a call and say you'd like to do one (or two) large FP's and supply the details. You may need to speak to their anti fraud department.
    I have found them very accommodating on such occasions.
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 19th Dec 18, 10:18 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    glennevis
    • 19th Dec 18, 10:18 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 10:18 AM
    Last time I asked TSB (a year ago) their BACS transfer limit was 25k per day.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 19th Dec 18, 12:34 PM
    • 29,250 Posts
    • 17,764 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 19th Dec 18, 12:34 PM
    • 19th Dec 18, 12:34 PM
    Why not just send a cheque "special delivery"?
    • Thefrenchman
    • By Thefrenchman 13th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thefrenchman
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    I want to send 30k to another account I hold with RBS. Contacted TSB Twitter team to check,but they won't confirm a figure....not happy.
    • Uxb1
    • By Uxb1 13th Apr 19, 9:10 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Uxb1
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:10 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:10 AM
    I've found solicitors are going back to cheques for very large sums like the OP is talking about.
    Unlike a CHAPS transfers, cheques are free.
    Then there is less worry about getting the numbers right on a transfer both from a point of view of entering them up at the sending end correctly and of checking and getting the right figures to enter off the destination account holder - and for this most solicitors would require an original of a bank statement.
    Far easier to write a cheque......

PS Edit
    Do not forget to include with the cheque an acknowledgment slip to be signed and returned by the recipient stating they have received the money.
    • Thefrenchman
    • By Thefrenchman 13th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thefrenchman
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    I've found solicitors are going back to cheques for very large sums like the OP is talking about.
    Unlike a CHAPS transfers, cheques are free.
    Then there is less worry about getting the numbers right on a transfer both from a point of view of entering them up at the sending end correctly and of checking and getting the right figures to enter off the destination account holder - and for this most solicitors would require an original of a bank statement.
    Far easier to write a cheque......

PS Edit
    Do not forget to include with the cheque an acknowledgment slip to be signed and returned by the recipient stating they have received the money.
    Originally posted by Uxb1
    I need the money to go quickly,the fact it's going from my account held in one Government owned bank to another you'd have though would be seamless...
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 13th Apr 19, 10:09 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    northwalesd
    I need the money to go quickly,the fact it's going from my account held in one Government owned bank to another you'd have though would be seamless...
    Originally posted by Thefrenchman
    TSB isn't government owned.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 13th Apr 19, 10:46 AM
    • 10,173 Posts
    • 9,334 Thanks
    colsten
    Originally posted by Thefrenchman
    Just use CHAPS then, and pay the 30 for the privilege of having the transfer completed on the same day (provided you request it before the daily CHAPS deadline).
    • Thefrenchman
    • By Thefrenchman 15th Apr 19, 4:50 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thefrenchman
    In the TSB T&Cs it states that if your account is used in any "unusual way" they reserve the right to freeze it.As I've never done anything else than make deposits...I'll leave it to Switch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,564Posts Today

7,427Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin