Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 18th Dec 18, 4:52 PM
    • 151Posts
    • 585Thanks
    Thrice
    A Year to make a Difference
    • 18th Dec 18, 4:52 PM
    A Year to make a Difference 18th Dec 18 at 4:52 PM
    Afternoon all,

Well after lurking for years, being an active user under a different name for years, to this new account due to too much personal info on the last one. I have finally set up my first MSE diary!

A short bit about me. I live in central Scotland with Mr Thrice and our two dogs. We have a home that needs a lot of work, and it's a huge drain on our finances. We have over the last 8 years spent a lot of money decorating etc, then we found proper issues with the house. Spent and spent trying to repair and repair, but it's really got to the point now where we need to replace part of the roof, which means more money which I just don't have right now.

I'm going to set this up and then I can update tonight with my totals and lists for 2019. I'm not one for new years resolutions, I generally think they are made to be broken. So, I'm starting before Christmas, that way they can be a new way to live, rather than something I can give up on mid January!

I'm hoping to use this to stay accountable to myself, and to get advice/encouragement/told off by you lot I have 'manageable' debt, but I need to get my head down and clear as much as I can over 2019, so hopefully, come 2020, I can maybe take maternity leave from work. My god, I feel a bit funny writing that down!

Right, I'm away before I say anything else I haven't said before
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
Page 2
    • JohnJ76
    • By JohnJ76 9th Jan 19, 6:50 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    JohnJ76
    That's excellent news, always nice when something goes in your favour as opposed to an unexpected nasty! Great way to start 2019 with one paid off so soon!
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 11th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    So has anyone else been watching Marie Kondo on Netflix? Oh I'm just loving her! I know there is an old and long thread on here which I've never looked at before, as I suppose I wasn't really interested in tidying. Why tidy when the house is a building site??

It's been wonderful to watch, I'm about half way through the series and I've already started keeping boxes to use for storage It's funny as I've started clearing bags of excess stuff out the house, but I didn't look through anything properly, I just knew I wouldn't wear it or use it for the next 3 months to stored it. It will be good when we are bringing everything back to actually go through it all to see if we really want to keep it or not

I spoke to MrT last night about our spends on each other for birthday's and Christmas, and we agreed to keep it low this year. Normally we spend about 50+ for a birthday and over 100 each at Christmas, but there just isn't any need. We spend because we feel we should. So I've asked for two things, the Marie Kondo book and a set of beeswax paper so I can wrap my sandwiches etc to stop using cling film 26 was the amazon wish list I sent to him, which is a lot cheaper than normal!
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Mickeymacca
    • By Mickeymacca 11th Jan 19, 9:36 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Mickeymacca
    morning Thrice just caught up with your diary I love it! Have you tried YNAB? It's brilliant for budgeting. I'm sat now just adding some extra categories, its changed the way I budget completely. Totally recommend doing the free trial. Hope the building work goes well this weekend.
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 13th Jan 19, 8:37 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    I've looked at YNAB before, but couldn't really get my head around it. I will look at it again though, I know a lot of people swear by it!

Well the weekend had passed quickly but with lots of progress! MrT has finished building the vestibule at the front door, gyp rock and everything! We will get the internal window put in hopefully this week, then I just need a door and it's done!

I decided to fold all the clothes in the drawers upstairs, my back is killing me now! Spent hours this afternoon doing it, just have the two bottom drawers left to do tomorrow. It's amazing the difference folding and stacking vertically like Marie Kondo recommends, I've got so much more space! MrT thought I was mad folding socks and pants, but he was suitably impressed when I was finished! Can't wait to actually read her book lol!

I've gathered up my receipts for the last week or so, my plan for tomorrow is to deduct these from my budget totals and see how my first half of the month is looking. Fingers crossed lol x
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 16th Jan 19, 11:26 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    I'm at this point in the month where nothing is really happening... I want to pay extra to things just to see the total come down again, but I don't have anything to give

I've been having a ponder regarding my supermarket vouches and what to spend them on. I have about 20 for Tesco and the same again for Morrisons. My plan was to use them to buy Christmas dinner and splash out on fancy stuff (The Best and The Finest ranges all the way ) but we ended up just doing a cheap dinner and making the fancy stuff ourselves.

I don't know if I should use them to bulk buy some foods, like tinned toms or dried pasta. Or if I should keep them and use during the year for a birthday present or two, I can always buy a toy or pj's from either supermarket.

Maybe I'm just wanting to spend the vouchers to feel like I'm buying stuff, even though I don't need or want anything I've been on Boots website as I've got over 60 worth of points, keeping my eye on gift sets etc that I could use for birthdays etc this year, and also looking for stuff for me that I don't need.

I'm finding it easy to not spend cash money, but I'm finding myself looking more and more at spending 'free money' like my points and vouchers, even though I DON'T NEED OR WANT ANYTHING

I will resist. I'm not spending anything til at least February. There, I've said it so I'm sticking to it!!
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 21st Jan 19, 12:07 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    I managed to go the full weekend without spending ANYTHING, apart from my Lidl shop from my weekly budget!

I really wanted to go to Ikea to get the storage boxes that fit into my chest of drawers.... but I didn't!

And I wanted to go to Costco and stock up on toilet roll..... but I didn't!

NO SPEND JANUARY. NO SPEND JANUARY. NO SPEND JANUARY
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 24th Jan 19, 12:44 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    I've just checked my banking again and I've got 40.68 left til the end of the month, and I'm thinking, WHERE HAS ALL MY MONEY GONE? I've been so good, not bought anything this month, and still I've no money?

Then I realised I haven't touched my pots, cos I haven't sorted out those yearly costs yet! I've actually got 400 in separate pots waiting to be spent/allocated

My credit card statement has came through as well, 114.91 is all that's left on my smallest card, so I'll actually pay that off this month when I get paid

Roll on pay day on the 28th!
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Guybrush_Threepwood
    • By Guybrush_Threepwood 24th Jan 19, 2:33 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Guybrush_Threepwood
    Well done on progress so far!! Keep going!
    Current Debt: May 2018: 83,035.95 - June 2018: 80,358.78 - July 2018: 77,140.01 - August 2018: 74,672.56 - September 2018: 72,700.22 - October 2018: 68,593.21 - November 2018: 67,153.13 - December 2018: 65,711.80 - January 2019: 64,466.73 - February 2019: 62,722.91 - March 2019: 61,527.35
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 24th Jan 19, 4:08 PM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 26,527 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    My credit card statement has came through as well, 114.91 is all that's left on my smallest card, so I'll actually pay that off this month when I get paid
    Originally posted by Thrice
    What a great boost that will be for you, well done
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 4900.00 Lloyds: 9240.00 BC: 870.00 Cap One: GONE
    Mar LTW 6/18 - Mar NSD 0/5
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD 2020.33/5604.30
    Savings for Christmas 150.23/500
    20p Savers 2019 2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 28th Jan 19, 10:58 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    Morning all!

So I managed to NOT BUY ANYTHING AT THE WEEKEND

I still haven't spent any of my vouchers or points, spent nothing!

Payments today - I paid off my first credit card!! 114.91 PAID
    Save The Change paid to my other credit card, 7.93. Not much, but it all adds up.

Budgeting - Moved 1.50 from my 'gifts' to my bank (bought a birthday card). Moved 5.00 from my 'clothing' to my bank (bought socks) and moved 5 from my 'car' to my bank (bought a car wash and hoovered it).

In other news, I got a 3% wage increase in work In all honesty I've had problems at work the last few months, I kinda felt like they were pushing me out, either to sack me or make me redundant. Nothing specific, just an overall feeling at work. It's a small office, I normally know all the goings on but the last few months it's been more and more secretive. So in my head, I was getting sacked. So when my boss asked last week for a meeting for my first ever Annual Review, I thought it was going to be a bad one, how wrong I was! 3% increase and I'll get another bonus this year (yaaay!!)
    I was feeling pretty happy on Friday, which made a change lol!

Lastly, I think I've paid my Student Loan off! I'll need to look out my wage slips and phone them to confirm, but when I spoke to them earlier this year, they said that December should be my last payment. 51 a month before tax, so that should be noticeable in my wages when I stop paying it!
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 24,695 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You are doing great. Well done on paying off your student debt too.
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 29th Jan 19, 10:35 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    Thank you doingitanyway

Small list to sort out today -
    Write out money envelopes for Feb groceries
    Find any missing receipts and update to spreadsheet
    Work out how to use my new tablet and start computerising my spreadsheets!!

x
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 31st Jan 19, 10:38 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    Good news!

That's my Studen Loan PAID OFF

I paid 57 in my January wage as well, so that will get refunded to me within 15 days, refund of about 80 coming my way!

It's one of those debts that I didn't really think about, it just came off my wage before tax. Feels great to not have it hanging over me as it has done since about 2001

I'll need to have another look at my annual budget now, wage increase and no studen loan will make a difference to my take home pay
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 31st Jan 19, 10:48 AM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 26,527 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    That's fantastic
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 4900.00 Lloyds: 9240.00 BC: 870.00 Cap One: GONE
    Mar LTW 6/18 - Mar NSD 0/5
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD 2020.33/5604.30
    Savings for Christmas 150.23/500
    20p Savers 2019 2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 4th Feb 19, 12:29 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    Morning all!

Start with the good news, Overpayments!

Paid today - Mortgage 38.75 and Loan 41.98
    CC2 - 43.50 1st Feb and 50 today, I bought tickets totalling 78.25, half of which I'm due back from friends. Didn't mean to use this CC for these, so I've paid this off plus a few pounds extra. I'm also going to empty ALL the cards out my purse that I don't need to use tonight!

Spends! So I finally caved and went to Costo on Friday night. Stocked up on essentials, didn't buy a single cake, no snacks, no boxes of crisps, nothing like that. Literally bought toilet roll, kitchen roll and enough fabric softner, soap, shower gel, shampoo and toothpaste to do us to the end of the year. 104 spent but about 18 was for other people, so 86 spent myself. I'll add this to my annual budget, I might have overspent so far, but I know it will save me money in the long run.

Shopping for this week has been done, lunches for work and dinners each night all sorted. I'll need to come up with better stuff for next week, I'm becoming really lazy with cooking the last few months

I managed to earn another cheque from one of the survey companies I use, 50! This is my second cheque in just less than a year. The last one I used to buy door handles for downstairs, got 5 sets in the B&Q sale last year for 10 each! Still one set left for the vestibule door when we finally fit it I'll need to come up with something to spend it on, maybe a new bathroom tap seeing how ours is broken? I could add it to my 'gift' fund, but I do like being able to buy something new/that works for the house, especially with 'free money' I'll give it more thought before I do anything,

x
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 6th Feb 19, 4:49 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    So, I tried to book a holiday yesterday for October this year. I knew MrT was having a tough time at work, and I found a cheap week at one of our favourite places in Italy, and I tried to persuade him to book it. But give him his due, he said Lets talk about it tonight, and we talked last night, and I didn't book anything.

And I won't. I'm sticking to a rule I made, NO HOLIDAYS in 2020!

I'm also struggling with my pots for 'yearly costs', I'm going to get another look over them tonight and see if I can't use it to pay of my credit card. I might do a post on the DFW board for a bit more advice/help. I don't know if I should keep money by for something I might need later in the year, or clear off the debt and keep the card for these costs.... I'll need to get another proper look at it. x
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 14th Feb 19, 11:09 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Thrice
    Morning all!

I've been plodding along the last few weeks, keeping my eye on the bank account and watching the pennies in my purse. It's still that horrible middle of the month where there is no money coming in, nothing going out, but I feel like I want to 'do' something to clear the debt, I just don't have anything else to give!

I spent my 50 cheque on a lovely bathroom tap, with a 10 year warrenty so if it breaks like the last one, at least I'm covered! Bought a few small things for myself with the few pounds remaining from the cheque and used my 25 amazon christmas voucher, and bought some add on presents to finish off a birthday gift. Only 3odds came out my bank so I'm pretty chuffed with that. I'll fit the bathroom tap tonight, can't wait til I can use a non-leaky tap lol!

I checked my registration number the other day for tax and MOT, and my car is due it's first MOT in May. I don't actually know what this should or will cost, I'll need to have a google about. I might book a service in first, see if I can get stuff repaired then, rather than waiting till MOT stage. Pretty sure I need new front tyres, so I should probably price them up just now as well :-( Feels like a costly year for the car already, and I only bought the thing 10 months ago lol
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

829Posts Today

6,055Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin