Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Dec 18, 3:17 PM
    • 61,387Posts
    • 43,955Thanks
    soolin
    Reminder: changes to International post Jan 2019
    • 18th Dec 18, 3:17 PM
    Reminder: changes to International post Jan 2019 18th Dec 18 at 3:17 PM
    https://www.royalmail.com/termschanges/

From 1 January 2019, you will be required to provide more electronic data when sending items overseas from the UK

As previously notified since August last year, from 1 January 2019, you will be required to provide customs data electronically when sending items to destinations that are not in the same customs union as the UK (excluding items of correspondence). This customs data is like the information you already provide on the CN22 and CN23 customs declarations forms. Please remember that the Universal Postal Union (UPU) requests that these are completed accurately and in full, to facilitate a rapid clearance.

Please be assured that in the event you are not able to make these changes, you will not be prevented from posting with us and we will continue to work with you to help you be able to meet the requirements. Please contact your Royal Mail Account Manager, Shipping Support or visit the International Data website (details in the last paragraph) if you are in any way concerned about this change, so we can work through the options to get you on board with these changes.

If you are a customer using a franking machine to send items abroad please see for more detail below.

Electronic Customs Data is required to make sure that emerging and future legislative, security and customs requirements in overseas destinations are met. Some countries are considering applying penalties, delaying or returning items in the absence of the required data and we want to help you avoid these. For example, the United States have just passed legislation that will mandate inbound shipments to the USA to be accompanied by electronic customs data, from the end of 2018.

There are however also real benefits to providing complete and accurate electronic customs data as we have seen that customers are receiving fewer complaints, less delays in customs, resulting in faster and more successful deliveries as a result. Over time, you will also be able to access new delivery features, such as enhanced tracking and delivery choice. The provision of electronic data will also be important if the UK leaves the EU customs union under Brexit changes. We will be communicating soon on our Brexit preparations to ensure our networks keep flowing freely post Brexit.

The requirement to provide customs data by attaching a physical Customs declaration form CN22 Opens in new window or CN23 Opens in new window to items you're sending outside the EU is nothing new. What is new is that you'll now need to provide the customs data to us electronically.
    Last edited by soolin; 05-01-2019 at 8:29 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 2
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Jan 19, 11:55 AM
    • 7,939 Posts
    • 4,578 Thanks
    martindow

Note that countries within the EU do not need a customs form, but will this change when Brexit finally happens ?
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    Who knows?!
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 13th Jan 19, 5:03 PM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I ordered 5 rolls of CN22 labels. That's my no deal Brexit plans executed!
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,382Posts Today

8,061Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin