Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Dec 18, 3:17 PM
    • 61,378Posts
    • 43,954Thanks
    soolin
    Reminder: changes to International post Jan 2019
    • 18th Dec 18, 3:17 PM
    Reminder: changes to International post Jan 2019 18th Dec 18 at 3:17 PM
    https://www.royalmail.com/termschanges/

From 1 January 2019, you will be required to provide more electronic data when sending items overseas from the UK

As previously notified since August last year, from 1 January 2019, you will be required to provide customs data electronically when sending items to destinations that are not in the same customs union as the UK (excluding items of correspondence). This customs data is like the information you already provide on the CN22 and CN23 customs declarations forms. Please remember that the Universal Postal Union (UPU) requests that these are completed accurately and in full, to facilitate a rapid clearance.

Please be assured that in the event you are not able to make these changes, you will not be prevented from posting with us and we will continue to work with you to help you be able to meet the requirements. Please contact your Royal Mail Account Manager, Shipping Support or visit the International Data website (details in the last paragraph) if you are in any way concerned about this change, so we can work through the options to get you on board with these changes.

If you are a customer using a franking machine to send items abroad please see for more detail below.

Electronic Customs Data is required to make sure that emerging and future legislative, security and customs requirements in overseas destinations are met. Some countries are considering applying penalties, delaying or returning items in the absence of the required data and we want to help you avoid these. For example, the United States have just passed legislation that will mandate inbound shipments to the USA to be accompanied by electronic customs data, from the end of 2018.

There are however also real benefits to providing complete and accurate electronic customs data as we have seen that customers are receiving fewer complaints, less delays in customs, resulting in faster and more successful deliveries as a result. Over time, you will also be able to access new delivery features, such as enhanced tracking and delivery choice. The provision of electronic data will also be important if the UK leaves the EU customs union under Brexit changes. We will be communicating soon on our Brexit preparations to ensure our networks keep flowing freely post Brexit.

The requirement to provide customs data by attaching a physical Customs declaration form CN22 Opens in new window or CN23 Opens in new window to items you're sending outside the EU is nothing new. What is new is that you'll now need to provide the customs data to us electronically.
    Last edited by soolin; 05-01-2019 at 8:29 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Jan 19, 8:33 AM
    • 61,378 Posts
    • 43,954 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Jan 19, 8:33 AM
    • 5th Jan 19, 8:33 AM
    Bump as a reminder
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • martindow
    • By martindow 5th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 7,933 Posts
    • 4,576 Thanks
    martindow
    • 5th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 5th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    I think I'm likely to come a cropper with an item I posted to the USA on new year's eve. By the time it gets to the USA the new regulations will be in place.

This is just an item posted and paid for at a PO, but maybe these will still be accepted with handwritten CN22s?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Jan 19, 11:25 AM
    • 61,378 Posts
    • 43,954 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Jan 19, 11:25 AM
    • 5th Jan 19, 11:25 AM
    I think I'm likely to come a cropper with an item I posted to the USA on new year's eve. By the time it gets to the USA the new regulations will be in place.

This is just an item posted and paid for at a PO, but maybe these will still be accepted with handwritten CN22s?
    Originally posted by martindow
    I don't think handwritten labels are a problem, the requirement is to provide additional information online when doing labels- so as you sent this before the new regulations there shouldn't be a problem.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 5th Jan 19, 6:11 PM
    • 7,363 Posts
    • 31,951 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 5th Jan 19, 6:11 PM
    • 5th Jan 19, 6:11 PM
    Will this information be requested on the click and drop site when generating labels ?
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Jan 19, 6:14 PM
    • 61,378 Posts
    • 43,954 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Jan 19, 6:14 PM
    • 5th Jan 19, 6:14 PM
    Will this information be requested on the click and drop site when generating labels ?
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    People are suggesting it will, I have a pop up message on mine but frankly I don't really understand what it's telling me.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 5th Jan 19, 6:49 PM
    • 7,363 Posts
    • 31,951 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 5th Jan 19, 6:49 PM
    • 5th Jan 19, 6:49 PM
    Oh well, at least we can ask each other. I saw the discussion about the new packaging rules for Germany but as my turnover is just short of the 2 million, I am exempt
    • purple321
    • By purple321 5th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    purple321
    • 5th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    • 5th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    I hadn't heard about this, is it just when buying postage online?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Jan 19, 9:13 AM
    • 61,378 Posts
    • 43,954 Thanks
    soolin
    • 6th Jan 19, 9:13 AM
    • 6th Jan 19, 9:13 AM
    I hadn't heard about this, is it just when buying postage online?
    Originally posted by purple321
    Frankly I am unsure as I have had various notifications and they are all worded slightly differently, then looking at eBay forums, people are interpreting them differently as well.

I *think* it applies to all online purchases of labels as it is designed to collect additional information electronically when a label is purchased. Therefore it cannot apply in store unless the PO is set up to ask for this when they print a label.

However, whether buying online differentiates between business and private sellers I don't know , as a business seller I have obviously been notified both by post and by pop up messages in my business account but that's because I'm registered with RM, it might not just be because I am a business . The cut and paste from the first post talks about business managers, which suggests it is for businesses only.

However I might be wrong about everything.

I've not had to test it yet, my last overseas item went on New Years Eve so was before the changes. I switched a large amount of my stock to GSP last year after I had a few INRs within a few days of posting from impatient buyers and again I can only assume that eBay will deal with GSP parcels in future based on the sold item details.
    Last edited by soolin; 06-01-2019 at 9:15 AM.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Jan 19, 9:22 AM
    • 61,378 Posts
    • 43,954 Thanks
    soolin
    I've just used my business OBA click and drop to print a label for Finland - and nothing at all was different, I had nothing extra to complete or provide. Perhaps it is because it is linked to ebay so they have the information already- except that they don't have the codes or country of origin.

I'm even more confused now.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • purple321
    • By purple321 7th Jan 19, 9:34 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    purple321
    It's not clear at all. From most of their announcement it sounds like it's just business sellers or just postage bought online but then says USA have passed legislation that all inbound shipments have electronic customs data which sounds like it applies to all mail. They start saying "you will be required" but then say if you can't you won't be prevented from posting with us.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Jan 19, 9:42 AM
    • 61,378 Posts
    • 43,954 Thanks
    soolin
    It's not clear at all. From most of their announcement it sounds like it's just business sellers or just postage bought online but then says USA have passed legislation that all inbound shipments have electronic customs data which sounds like it applies to all mail. They start saying "you will be required" but then say if you can't you won't be prevented from posting with us.
    Originally posted by purple321
    I was expecting to have to add additional details- I am using a business account, I am buying postage online- but nothing happened - I couldn't have added anything even if I had wanted to.

Maybe I'll wait until I get a US sale and see what happens then- although due to issues with US buyers wanting their stuff immediately I have few lines available to the US without using GSP- so it might be a fair wait until I can test it.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 7th Jan 19, 9:51 AM
    • 7,363 Posts
    • 31,951 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    All mine are UK today so I can't help. I will update if I get any overseas sales
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 7th Jan 19, 11:09 AM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I was expecting to have to add additional details-... ....- but nothing happened

I think it might be something to do with BREXIT
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 7th Jan 19, 11:15 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    I've just used my business OBA click and drop to print a label for Finland - and nothing at all was different, I had nothing extra to complete or provide. Perhaps it is because it is linked to ebay so they have the information already- except that they don't have the codes or country of origin.

I'm even more confused now.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Won't apply to Finland as no CN22 needed.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 7th Jan 19, 11:30 AM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Won't apply to Finland as no CN22 needed.
    I'm sending parcels to Norway at the moment and they are being processed by PO staff, no extra info required at the moment.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 7th Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    I'm sending parcels to Norway at the moment and they are being processed by PO staff, no extra info required at the moment.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Norway requires a CN22 so Click and Drop will produce an E-Customs barcode containing the CN22 data for faster processing*.

However E-customs is not specifically required by all countries outside the EU yet.

*Assuming Norway is set up to scan the barcodes as they enter the country
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 13th Jan 19, 10:20 AM
    • 7,363 Posts
    • 31,951 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    The following info is on my Click & Drop account this morning :

Adding customs information when applying postage
    Please note that these features are not yet released. This guide is for reference only in preparation of the changes due to be released during the week beginning 14.01.19

Electronic customs became mandatory for some international destinations on January 1st 2019. If you have provided the required data, Click & Drop will send this information automatically whenever you pay for your labels (Personal accounts) or manifest your orders (Online Business Accounts).
    Failure to include this information may result in delays or rejections during customs clearance in the destination country.

What countries require electronic customs?
    Currently, the countries which require electronic customs are

The United States of America
    China
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Russian Federation
    All countries outside the EU require a CN22 or CN23 customs form. Countries within the EU do not require customs forms. In order for these to be produced by Click & Drop, check your label format settings.

What information is required?
    For countries which require international customs data to be passed electronically, the required fields are:

Customs description
    Customs code (HS code, harmonised system or tariff code)
    Country of origin
    Quantity
    Unit price
    How to add customs information
    Select one or more of your orders and select 'Apply postage'. Choose your weight, package size, and service as usual. For further assistance on this part of order processing, please see the following guide: How to manually create an order.

AddWeightandService.png

If one or more of the orders you have selected is going to a destination where electronic customs codes are mandatory, and you have not already provided the required customs information, you will be presented with Step 4. Review / edit package contents:

EditPackageContentsBlank.png

At this point, there are two options:

1. Enter your customs information manually.

2. Enter details for a product that already exists in Click & Drop. To do so, begin typing the product name or SKU in the 'Search for a product field'. Select your product from the list, and all information will be automatically entered into the correct fields:

For more information, please see the following guide: Adding customs information to your products.

SearchForaProduct.png

Please note that if you have changed any of the information for your existing products, for example you have updated the price, please ensure you have checked the 'Overwrite existing product data' box, which can be found at the bottom of the page. We recommend this setting as it allows you to keep your products up to date.

All fields marked with a red asterisk are mandatory, and must be filled in before you can finish applying postage to your orders and generate your labels.

When you have added all the required customs information, you can click the 'Add another item' button to add one or more items to your order.

If you do not with to add any more items to your order, click the 'Apply', or 'Apply and generate label's buttons to continue your order processing.

PackageContentsAdded.png

How to add the same package contents to multiple orders
    There may be times when you are sending the same product to multiple customers. If you want to apply the package contents to more than one order, select all of the your orders within Click and drop and Click 'Apply postage'. After selecting your weight and package type, fill your customs information into step 4 as shown below:

CopyContents.png

Click the 'Copy' button, and a menu will appear asking you to choose from the following options:

Copy package contents to all orders: This will copy the details you have entered to all orders on the page. Please note that this will overwrite any existing data.

Copy package contents to orders with incomplete customs information: This will copy the details you have entered to all orders on the page that do not have all of the required customs information filled in. Please note that this will overwrite any existing data.

CopyOptions.png

Select the appropriate option, and you will be presented with another window which will show the package contents information you have entered, and which of your orders will be updated.

CopyToIncomplete.png

Click the 'Update orders' button to continue, or the 'Cancel' button to go back.

Once you are happy with your order package contents, you will be able to finish applying your postage and then generate your labels as usual.

Articles in this section
    Adding customs information when importing your orders via spreadsheet
    Adding customs information
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Jan 19, 10:23 AM
    • 61,378 Posts
    • 43,954 Thanks
    soolin
    The inclusion of Portugal is an odd one?

Thank you for that cut and paste, I don't ship direct to China, Brazil or
    the Russian Federation.I do ship some items to the US but very few now having come across some poor buyers in the latter months of 2017.

It's interesting to know and to keep an eye on, thank you.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 13th Jan 19, 11:29 AM
    • 7,363 Posts
    • 31,951 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    No idea why Portugal is in there. We do ship to The Russian a Federation and America so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Note that countries within the EU do not need a customs form, but will this change when Brexit finally happens ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,990Posts Today

8,699Users online

Martin's Twitter