Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 16th Dec 18, 3:29 PM
    • 558Posts
    • 2,479Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Going, going...still going!
    • 16th Dec 18, 3:29 PM
    Going, going...still going! 16th Dec 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello! I've been lurking here for a while, and have learnt so much from you all, so I've taken the plunge to join in for my big push to get debt free. I've been on this treadmill for some time (couple of poor decisions, some bad luck and just plain ignorance) and now I'm in my early 30s, I really want to clear my plate, and build a future. It seems like every time I get to within sniffing distance, I jeopardise it with something impulsive, so I'm determined not to do that this time.

My debt was 8619 in November 2017, which scared the life out of me! Since then, I've managed to clear nearly half of it, and luckily what is left is on 0% until Dec 2019. However, a recent job change means I have a bit less disposable income than I would like, so I need encouragement to keep squeezing my pennies where I can! I'll post my SOA in a moment - there's some bits I can target straight away, and I have plans to do some additional work in the new year, but I can always squeeze further! It's just me (and a cat ) to cater for, so we're happy to live on cheap and cheerful!

Looking forward to digging in and getting this millstone gone!

Nov 19 Update: I'm now Debt Free
    Last edited by BlackCoffeeNoSugar; 29-11-2019 at 8:03 PM.
    Debt at Nov 2017: 8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: 4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: 0
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
Page 38
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 15th Jan 20, 2:49 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 16,623 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Oh that is smart of you GAP - I was never very successful with keeping change for the bus, it seemed like I was forever breaking notes or pound coins to get it right Not sure I trust the contactless system these days either mind you

PD seems her usual self at the moment, so at least that's a positive!
    Originally posted by BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    I physically walk to the bank with that month's bus fare money, take out the change (bag of 1's, bag of 50p's, bag of 20p's) and keep it purely for bus fare. I went to rock bottom a few years ago. Doing this meant I could walk home and save some money. Desperation
    Loan (7,500) current balance: 5,517.67 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/09/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: 87,530
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 20, 3:59 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 32,068 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done with your NSDs. I too have a target of 20. I am on 7/20 so not doing great. Must try harder.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 15th Jan 20, 7:56 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Again, so resourceful, GAP - I'm very glad you're in better days now (and still canny as then)

I'm not too far ahead of you on the NSD front, doingitanyway! Still time to rack them up though

Today I amused myself with a little daydream at work today - it would be very financially irresponsible, and just irresponsible in general, but if I had enough to get by for a month or two, I couldn't help thinking how nice it would be to just walk out and leave the nonsense behind. I actually love to work, but a month to reset and recharge sounds very tempting... but not. at. all. feasible Maybe one day...

NSD today, and should be for a few days longer....Unless I buy a lottery ticket.
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
    • Pentacle
    • By Pentacle 16th Jan 20, 4:47 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Pentacle
    A daydream I think many have at this time of year, you're not alone. It's the yearly slump after xmas. Keep dreaming though, find the little daily positives, spring will be showing signs before too soon, days are getting lighter. My daffodils are emerging! Perhaps plan a little treat for February. It helps me.
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 17th Jan 20, 4:16 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 16,623 Thanks
    girlatplay
    A daydream I think many have at this time of year, you're not alone. It's the yearly slump after xmas. Keep dreaming though, find the little daily positives, spring will be showing signs before too soon, days are getting lighter. My daffodils are emerging! Perhaps plan a little treat for February. It helps me.
    Originally posted by Pentacle
    I love when the daffodils come out. Always makes me feel happy
    Loan (7,500) current balance: 5,517.67 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/09/2023
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 17th Jan 20, 8:42 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    You have both made me smile - spring is around the corner after all, and the mornings are definitely getting lighter too

I've had a wee flurry on PA recently, so had 9.23 cashed out today. I've got another 1.22 (ish) clearing, but I like cashing out when I still have a little more to clear, so then when it does clear, I have a wee head-start, and I'm not starting at zero again It's the little things!

I was intending to put it to the EF, but it feels like it's been quite a long month, so I took a detour home via a posh wine shop and asked for the finest bottle of wine they could sell me....without spending more than about 8 (because PD got a bag of Dreamies ) I fully expected to get laughed out the shop, but they were so enthusiastic about it and I've got a lot of bang for my buck! I got a few pointers too, which I love. There's something so endearing about people sharing their knowledge about a subject they are so passionate about. Not sure anyone feels the same when I talk like that about PD (who is currently dramatically draped across me, like some aging Hollywood starlet on a chaise-lounge) but it doesn't stop me
    Here's to the weekend
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 19th Jan 20, 11:14 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    I have forgotten the downside to having the slow cooker on all day - it's only 11am and my flat smells amazing Just 8 hours to go....

NSD yesterday and today - a friend is popping round later, but as we both drink black coffee, there's no need to go out for milk

Budget all ticking along, and will be fine until payday. I think I need to reset my YNAB though, as I can't work out what's going on. I'm tracking my EF in it too, and I think that's throwing it off, although it didn't do that whilst I was debt-busting, so not sure why it's being odd now. Hmm. I will tinker with it this afternoon.

I also need to do some general budgeting and SOAs as I've heard some news about a potential job through the grapevine. It sounds pretty great on so many levels, but it would mean a pay cut for a couple of years I need to do some soul-searching and some serious spreadsheeting. Whilst I'm pretty certain I can make the budget balance, it would dramatically cut into my savings plans. On a positive note, this is not something I could even think of considering when I was debt-busting, but I'm just not sure I've got the strength of character to go through 2 or 3 more years of enforced frugality, when things have been so tight

Wouldn't it be nice to have a wee glimpse into the future to see how things could turn out? Off to make a coffee, lure PD away from sniffing hopefully at the slow cooker and crack on with some number crunching
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 19th Jan 20, 11:51 AM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 11,855 Thanks
    mark88man
    I would trust your reluctance- you will need strength of character both to live on less money and to stay in a job you don't love as much. BUT
    * you don't really know what the new job would be like
    * I find strength of character responds well to money
    * there is a better job out there for you - but you need to let your confidence and self worth build with your savings then strike out new you style - don't go back to being having no money as a way of life

HTH -

slow cooker sounds lovely. I had more immediate fun by making vegan coleslaw in the blender - 20 mins of high intensity whizzing and 5 days lunchboxes set aside
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - much worse than I should be
    End 19: CC:16K@0% - Car Loan:6K@2.8% - Mort:118K@2.1% = 140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K 2018:16K

• girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 19th Jan 20, 12:42 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 16,623 Thanks
    girlatplay
    It's a lot to consider, taking a pay cut to progress. The good thing is you now have no debt to consider so it's easier to make choices, even if the choices themselves are not easy.

I do agree with this though:

...don't go back to being having no money as a way of life...
    Originally posted by mark88man
    • Pentacle
    • By Pentacle 21st Jan 20, 12:37 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Pentacle
    I wanted you to know, today I am officially debt free! Made my final payment 410 to my last card and the balance is ZERO. I have 300 in my emergency fund to start building on. I was very lucky in that when I had my LBM, I was able to increase my hours of work, and all extra earnings were used for my debt.
    I want to thank you for being my pace setter and support, every time you made a payment, I did too, including your little morale boost payments, I tried to match them as well. You have no idea how it helped, knowing someone was working through the debt with me.
    Even better, changing my mind set about money, I have lots of saving pots for xmas, the car, birthdays, etc. I am in control! And now enjoy seeing the pot balances go up, instead of spending.
    THANK YOU, BCNS
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 21st Jan 20, 1:16 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 16,623 Thanks
    girlatplay
    Congratulations Pentacle!
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 21st Jan 20, 7:41 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    I wanted you to know, today I am officially debt free! Made my final payment 410 to my last card and the balance is ZERO. I have 300 in my emergency fund to start building on. I was very lucky in that when I had my LBM, I was able to increase my hours of work, and all extra earnings were used for my debt.
    I want to thank you for being my pace setter and support, every time you made a payment, I did too, including your little morale boost payments, I tried to match them as well. You have no idea how it helped, knowing someone was working through the debt with me.
    Even better, changing my mind set about money, I have lots of saving pots for xmas, the car, birthdays, etc. I am in control! And now enjoy seeing the pot balances go up, instead of spending.
    THANK YOU, BCNS
    Congratulations!!!

I'm so so pleased for you I can't take any thanks though, it's been you all the way! Fab you've got a EF to start from too, all your savings goals lined up too. Go you!!
    Here's your (now mandatory) DF and DF
    Go get your name on the Roll of Honour, and get a shiny badge to celebrate! I'm so chuffed for you, what a fab way to finish the most drab (drabest?) month of the year
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 21st Jan 20, 8:48 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Well done pentacle

Bcns I loved your wine shop foray. I think sometimes these kinds if places love customers like you. Obviously not normal cliental, but willing to set a challenge and listen and learn something new.
    • Pentacle
    • By Pentacle 22nd Jan 20, 7:56 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Pentacle
    Thank you very much. Apologies for briefly hijacking your diary with my news but I was desperate to share with you! I will post on the debt free Roll of Honour, and I am walking about with a big smile on my face!!
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 22nd Jan 20, 7:39 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thank you very much. Apologies for briefly hijacking your diary with my news but I was desperate to share with you! I will post on the debt free Roll of Honour, and I am walking about with a big smile on my face!!
    Don't apologise at all for the well-deserved-and-totally-not-a-hijack I'm very glad you did share, both PD and I are so pleased for you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,152Posts Today

8,569Users online

Martin's Twitter