Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 16th Dec 18, 3:29 PM
    • 559Posts
    • 2,482Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Going, going...still going!
    • 16th Dec 18, 3:29 PM
    Going, going...still going! 16th Dec 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello! I've been lurking here for a while, and have learnt so much from you all, so I've taken the plunge to join in for my big push to get debt free. I've been on this treadmill for some time (couple of poor decisions, some bad luck and just plain ignorance) and now I'm in my early 30s, I really want to clear my plate, and build a future. It seems like every time I get to within sniffing distance, I jeopardise it with something impulsive, so I'm determined not to do that this time.

My debt was 8619 in November 2017, which scared the life out of me! Since then, I've managed to clear nearly half of it, and luckily what is left is on 0% until Dec 2019. However, a recent job change means I have a bit less disposable income than I would like, so I need encouragement to keep squeezing my pennies where I can! I'll post my SOA in a moment - there's some bits I can target straight away, and I have plans to do some additional work in the new year, but I can always squeeze further! It's just me (and a cat ) to cater for, so we're happy to live on cheap and cheerful!

Looking forward to digging in and getting this millstone gone!

Nov 19 Update: I'm now Debt Free
    Last edited by BlackCoffeeNoSugar; 29-11-2019 at 8:03 PM.
    Debt at Nov 2017: 8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: 4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: 0
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
Page 37
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 27th Dec 19, 4:49 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Hope you've all had a lovely Christmas Won't comment on mine - generally fine and unremarkable.

Thanks for the message Humdinger - PD probably wishes we were back in Ancient Egypt, as is very used to being picked up whilst asleep (or pretending to be ) and moved to a more convenient location

Not quite sure how I will spend the weekend - I've been for a few walks over the last few days, and have absolutely no desire to go anywhere near a shop or interact with anyone really Maybe I'll just do the same as today - sofa, PD, blankets, freshly brewed coffee (although I've now poured myself a glass of red), a new book, candles lit. I've got an interesting classical music app on my phone which I've been tinkering with, but tends to make me cry

The fridge has 11 million types of cheese in it, but not too much else, so will need to buy some more fresh stuff tomorrow. Otherwise, budget is looking good
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 30th Dec 19, 8:23 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Back to work today - was a bit of a shock to the system! However, just tomorrow to get through and then it's another 2 days off, so I'm sure I'll cope

Budget all on track and I'm all set up for January. For various reasons, it is still going to be a tight month as I try to repay the EF a bit and there are a few chunky payments come out in Feb/March - but at least I don't have to worry about making a CC payment. It was nice getting the statement through showing a nil figure, and nil to pay Bro paid me back for most of what I bought SIL at Christmas, bar a couple of items she didn't like and have been handed back to me so I'll return them at some point this week.

I've given myself quite a few non-MSE related goals for the coming year, but don't think this is the right place to talk about them. Whilst I'll keep my diary going for now to keep me on track budget-wise, I'm going to look for another outlet too.
    • Pentacle
    • By Pentacle 31st Dec 19, 4:20 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Pentacle
    Just wanted to wish you a Happy Debt Free New Year! And to thank you for being my debt busting partner (albeit all unknowing). It has helped me hugely. I hope you have good things planned for 2020
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 31st Dec 19, 4:22 PM
    • 4,657 Posts
    • 11,892 Thanks
    mark88man
    Agreed. Have a great new year and relax over your days off and plan your new life goals for 2020
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - much worse than I should be
    End 19: CC:16K@0% - Car Loan:6K@2.8% - Mort:118K@2.1% = 140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K 2018:16K

• BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 31st Dec 19, 4:48 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thank you both Pentacle, please let me know when you're DF - I liked being your unwitting debt-busting buddy

Work let me away early as there was literally no-one around, and everyone I need to get hold of aren't back til Friday or Monday. There's only so much 'looking busy' work I can do, when I'm actually really busy, but I now need others to input before I can move anything forward

So, it's been a shorter day, and I've tidied the flat so going into the new year relatively clean! PD was not impressed at the hoover appearing, but has forgiven me and is asleep on some dry laundry, smelling of fabric softener I have some of my favorite old films lined up to watch (Brief Encounter, Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story and The African Queen) so will work my way through a few of those
    Happy Hogmanay, and hope you all have a good New Year
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 2nd Jan 20, 10:37 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Wow, this is a busy place just now! I don't remember it being so busy last January - but I think I've caught and subscribed to all the new versions of diaries I follow. I'll just keep hold of this one, as I think I'll always be "... still going!"

I've made lots of goals for this year - a variety of life, hobbies, work and money.

Money wise, I'm aiming to have saved 3000 by the end of 2020 Although this is a very round number (and we all know round numbers are often just a guesstimate!) this should let me relax my budget slightly to allow more a mildly more relaxed attitude, and will mean I finish the year with just under 3 months of expenses saved as an emergency fund.

When I was debt-busting, I would say to myself that I could do more fun things once the debt was gone, but now it has been busted, I will admit I'm struggling a bit to think of what I can do for fun. It is not like I have any more time per week/month to do things, just a little more cash available. Maybe I should focus on budgeting my time a bit better and make more of what time I do have! (but still making time for PD )

I've had a NSD every day this year so I'm going to keep that going for as long as possible. Should be ok until Saturday, I think. I'm going to brave the shops at the weekend to return the unwanted presents for SIL, so that will be an extra 22 to go to the EF.
    • findingthisdifficult
    • By findingthisdifficult 2nd Jan 20, 8:06 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    findingthisdifficult
    Happy New Year BCNS!
    Exciting that you have new goals for this year! I'm also trying to find a better way to budget my time, I feel like I waste a bit too much of my time.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time.

Credit Card starting balance 2467 current balance 3461 0% until November 2020 (will probably need another balance transfer)
    Original Loan amount 23,179 Now 6,668 @ 5.4%
    12 payments left to go
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Jan 20, 12:05 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 32,099 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hi there,

Well done on all your progress. It is a good idea to concentrate on savings. When I became DF I felt elated then a little lost. It helped to concentrate on spending on house repairs instead!

I'm back on the NSD path too. It keeps me mindful.
    Have a good day
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 4th Jan 20, 2:16 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thanks both FTD - I've taken inspiration from you and will create a YNA(Time)B this afternoon I never feel there are enough hours in the day, so I should make the most of what I do have

DIA - that's exactly how I felt towards the end of December, I need something to strive for, having had the DF goal in mind for so long. The NSDs are definitely helping

Speaking of which, I broke my NSD streak on Friday....but for very good reason! My computer at work died a death on Friday - blue screen of death, wouldn't boot AT ALL in safe mode, IT have taken it away, but from what I've googled from the error message, it's game over. Thankfully, everything I ever work on is saved to the central server, so there's absolutely nothing lost, except a few bookmarks from my browser which I hadn't backed up (it was on my work to-do list, oh well!)

So, although most of my home laptop stuff is saved to the cloud, I really haven't done a full back-up in quite some time (and it was on my home to-do list...) so I stopped by arg0s on the way home and picked up an external drive for a decent price. First back-up completed last night, and I feel much better now! I've returned the unwanted gifts today and actually got money back (I was expecting credit) and so that will cover a good chunk of the hard drive costs.

To add to my woe yesterday, I managed to up-end an entire bowl of thick veg soup as I was putting it into the microwave. There were no survivors (except the bowl, which bounced). Splattered every surface - including myself. Soup was dripping from my eyelashes, it was so dramatic. I spent a loooong time clearing it up, and when I had, the floor was so slippery, so I cleaned it again. Still not convinced I got all of it, as PD keeps appearing from the kitchen licking her lips so I'll need to go over it again.

I was a very hungry and tired BCNS last night - I actually took myself off to bed at 8pm before anything else happened A good night sleep definitely helped I had been trying to start the new year off on a good footing, but I think 2020 may have other ideas for me...!
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 5th Jan 20, 12:33 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    When I became DF I felt elated then a little lost.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    This is exactly how I felt when I paid off my lightbulb debt in 2011. I really lost myself, wandered away from here because I didn't think I should be on DFW while debt free. I only got back into debt the first time because I took a loan to buy out the HA's share of my property and this time because I had a safety emergency and not enough in my EF. Once this debt is paid off I'll likely stay here and keep posting as it really does keep me focussed. A good example of someone debt free who still keeps a diary here is EssexHebridean. I really like reading her diaries.

To add to my woe yesterday, I managed to up-end an entire bowl of thick veg soup as I was putting it into the microwave. There were no survivors (except the bowl, which bounced). Splattered every surface - including myself. Soup was dripping from my eyelashes, it was so dramatic. I spent a loooong time clearing it up, and when I had, the floor was so slippery, so I cleaned it again. Still not convinced I got all of it, as PD keeps appearing from the kitchen licking her lips so I'll need to go over it again.
    Originally posted by BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Sorry but this made me laugh out loud. I'm certain it was not at all funny for you, I'm sure it's the way you tell them. Get some Elbow Grease spray cleaner. I find that cuts through the grease well. You can get it from Savers and it's about 1.
    Loan (7,500) current balance: 5,517.67 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/09/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: 87,530
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 5th Jan 20, 5:09 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thank you GAP - will check out all those recommendations And the soup incident was quite funny - the split instant between 'soup in bowl' to 'soup EVERYWHERE' was quite dramatic. I think the kitchen is properly clean now (or PD has just licked it clean ) - either way, I'm avoiding soup

Meal plan all done, and all my tasks are completed for the weekend so think I've done quite well. Budget all fine, although it does feel like it should be later than the 5th
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 6th Jan 20, 9:41 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    I second the elbow grease, amazing stuff. I clean houses as a job and this is brilliant for greasy hobs and badly soap summed baths.
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 7th Jan 20, 8:17 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Phew, it's been a bit of a wild day - my hair is undescribable with all the wind and rain. I look like a demented spaniel

I've not been doing too well with my NSDs this week - not badly by any means, but I have spend money yesterday and today which wasn't entirely essential. Less than 5 in total across both days, so not massive, but this drip-drip-drip of cash is a bad habit to get into! (I did get a bottle of Elbow Grease on my way home from work so I could blame GAP and DAL for that one )

Resolve has been strengthened for the rest of the week. I'm aiming for 20 NSDs this month, which is achievable, but I need to start racking them up! It should be doable until Saturday, at least. Pay day is 3 weeks today, and I'm not in bad shape at all, considering it's January, and I officially got paid 3 weeks ago (even if I didn't transfer it into my current account for another week after that).

Work has been very busy over the last few days, and think it's likely to continue for the rest of the week. I am potentially getting a couple of different projects to work on, which would be good (although a new role would be better...) I did find a cat toy in my handbag when I got to work this morning, so I'm taking that as encouragement from PD to keep going - there are mouths to feed after all
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 8th Jan 20, 2:51 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    I've not been doing too well with my NSDs this week - not badly by any means, but I have spend money yesterday and today which wasn't entirely essential. Less than 5 in total across both days, so not massive, but this drip-drip-drip of cash is a bad habit to get into! (I did get a bottle of Elbow Grease on my way home from work so I could blame GAP and DAL for that one )
    Originally posted by BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Yeah, I'll take one for the team on the Elbow Grease. You'll like it though
    Loan (7,500) current balance: 5,517.67 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/09/2023
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 9th Jan 20, 7:51 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Yeah, I'll take one for the team on the Elbow Grease. You'll like it though
    Originally posted by girlatplay
    I don't like it - I bIoody love it!
    Did a spot test on my (relatively) clean bath with it and was horrified at the result So I've now cleaned the rest of it, and the kitchen floor (now officially devoid of soup), and I'm so pleased.

One very minor annoyance though - I've checked my receipt from when I bought it and forgot I'd bought a deodorant when I was in there, and can't find it anywhere, I think I left it on the counter However, it wasn't a big spend, and I got a bargain on the toothpaste I like, and the Elbow Grease is an amazing price, so I can't complain too much!

Everything else all good, had a few PA surveys over the weekend, so once that clears, I'll be able to cash out, and stick it to the EF
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 12th Jan 20, 11:06 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Hope you're all enjoying your weekend!

Check in to keep me accountable - NSD yesterday and should be the same again today. Budget all on track, although I have been relying a bit too much on convenience rather than home-made food (shop-bought bread, bags of salad etc) which I need to nip in the bud. I have a risotto to make tonight, so that will take care of a few nights. I'm struggling with tiredness at the moment, and think I'm a bit rundown, so keeping quiet and having a few early nights should help.

My bus fare is going up next month - not by much, only 3 extra per month, and it is very good value for money. However, up to now, a monthly DD was the cheapest way to pay, but now it will cost an extra 72/year compared to paying for a year upfront Not quite sure how they've worked that one out, but just means I have another savings target!

PD is acting very out of character at the moment, which is a bit of a concern. I don't know if she's acting out as I've been late home from work most nights this week, but she's badly scratched and torn the side of the sofa (which hasn't happened before, even when she was a kitten) and shredded a bin bag Need to find a way to repair the sofa - may have to take the cover off and try a sewing job Will admit I cried when I saw it - just topped off a bad day! Will see how this week goes, and will make a vet appt if it continues - I'm currently a bit unwilling to fork out 40 to say "she's acting a bit strangely" when PD is a bit strange anyway, and eating and drinking etc is all normal.

It's a beautiful day here after the wildness of yesterday, so I'm off for a walk - going to fill up my travel mug so I can sip a coffee as I wander
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 12th Jan 20, 11:33 AM
    • 4,657 Posts
    • 11,892 Thanks
    mark88man
    sorry to hear that PD is having a moment - I am sure it will pass quickly she might just have got her claws stuck and got a bit panicky - it happened with our elderly cats when their claws grew out after they stopped going outside

otherwise well done on keeping yourself together - you've had a long haul to get DF and a number of diarists have reported difficulty in that first few months balancing the need to save against the need not to be quite so hardcore!!

you'll find a happy place soon and I'm sure PD will help that along soon enough
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - much worse than I should be
    End 19: CC:16K@0% - Car Loan:6K@2.8% - Mort:118K@2.1% = 140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K 2018:16K

• BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 12th Jan 20, 8:40 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thanks Mark - I hadn't thought about her getting stuck, but that does happen to her occasionally with her dew claws on her scratching post, so you might be onto something. I trimmed her nails last week, but she probably needs checking more often as she gets less bendy In saying that, I tried some yoga earlier and she was quite keen to join in

Today stayed a NSD and I enjoyed my walk with my coffee and headphones in, happily ignoring the world It's been an introspective day.
    • girlatplay
    • By girlatplay 14th Jan 20, 3:14 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 16,630 Thanks
    girlatplay
    I hear you on the bus fares. We do have a great service and reasonably priced in comparison to other places, I'm lead to believe. Still, that 3 extra is actually quite big in my budget. I pay for mine every 4 weeks as I feel that works better for me. I don't use it over the festive period and a couple of weeks over summer so I try to work it so that it fits in with that. I've seen myself get two weeks' worth of change and use that rather then pay for 4 weeks and only use it for 2. Works for me
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 14th Jan 20, 8:07 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Oh that is smart of you GAP - I was never very successful with keeping change for the bus, it seemed like I was forever breaking notes or pound coins to get it right Not sure I trust the contactless system these days either mind you

Long day at work, and stopped off for a some shopping on the way home - couple of YS bargains, and I bought a hunk of pork shoulder, which will make about 8 meals in the slow cooker. I've got some root veg to cook it with and a massive head of celeriac, which I'll mash or cut up and roast separately. I haven't bought meat in a while, so whilst it's quite extravagant of me, it will last me most of next week. I don't get bored eating the same thing for days on end, just as well really!

It's a bit chilly tonight, so I've got the heating on - I'm a wee bit concerned there may be a leak under the floorboards, as the pipes seem to be getting noisier, but it's only for the first 5 mins after it's turned on, and then it's fine. Going to ask the landlord if they will investigate, but not all that keen on them being in the flat without me there - if only to make sure PD doesn't take fright and leg it if they happen to leave the door open. One day I'll learn to chill, and not overthink everything....

PD seems her usual self at the moment, so at least that's a positive!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,763Posts Today

6,773Users online

Martin's Twitter