Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 16th Dec 18, 3:29 PM
    • 145Posts
    • 545Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Going, going...still going!
    • 16th Dec 18, 3:29 PM
    Going, going...still going! 16th Dec 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello! I've been lurking here for a while, and have learnt so much from you all, so I've taken the plunge to join in for my big push to get debt free. I've been on this treadmill for some time (couple of poor decisions, some bad luck and just plain ignorance) and now I'm in my early 30s, I really want to clear my plate, and build a future. It seems like every time I get to within sniffing distance, I jeopardise it with something impulsive, so I'm determined not to do that this time.

My debt was 8619 in November 2017, which scared the life out of me! Since then, I've managed to clear nearly half of it, and luckily what is left is on 0% until Dec 2019. However, a recent job change means I have a bit less disposable income than I would like, so I need encouragement to keep squeezing my pennies where I can! I'll post my SOA in a moment - there's some bits I can target straight away, and I have plans to do some additional work in the new year, but I can always squeeze further! It's just me (and a cat ) to cater for, so we're happy to live on cheap and cheerful!

Looking forward to digging in and getting this millstone gone!
    Debt at Nov 2017: 8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: 4,161 Current: 3,498 Aim for Dec 2019: 0
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #04 - 663.28 / 4,161
Page 3
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 5th Jan 19, 5:25 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    No NSD here - wasn't very prepared for today, and spent longer than I thought I would outside, so bought a couple of coffees to keep me going. Will be better prepared next time and take a flask with me!

Mildly annoyed that I have to go to a work event in a couple of weeks time - the entrance to the event is paid for, as is lunch, but my travel isn't. Have no idea how Finance have worked that one out, but I have checked the expenses policy several times, and for this particular event, I definitely cannot claim. There must have been some shenanigans in the past that has lead to this rule being implemented...! I can get there fairly easily by public transport, but it's 30 I'd rather not be spending, especially as it's coming before payday. Ho hum! Still, will try to be gracious about it and turn it into a good opportunity for me to meet some more people in our network.

Off to pour myself another coffee and to catch up on my book - hope everyone is having a relaxing day
    Debt at Nov 2017: 8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: 4,161 Current: 3,498 Aim for Dec 2019: 0
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 6th Jan 19, 12:06 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    NSD today

Making my meal plan and shopping list - I should be able to get by without a trip to the supermarket, as the freezer has loads of veg, and I'm making a risotto tonight which will last me a few days.

I've also jiggled my YNAB pots and worked in my travel for the work event - if I go a bit earlier, I can get an off-peak return, so it won't be quite as expensive as I thought it would be.

It's quite comforting to know that I can pay this, and still be on track with my budget. Previously I'd be thinking, well that's my budget blown for this month and written it off as a lost cause and either used my emergency fund to pay it, or just paid it without thinking of how that would affect the rest of my money for this month (Important point: my money is not limitless, I only have what I have!). Really dumb I needed to take just 5 minutes to think about it logically, and I've pulled it out of what I have available, and can still meet my targets. Can understand now why it's taken me so long to get this debt shifted! I think this might count as another lightbulb moment....
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 6th Jan 19, 10:04 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Quick post - risotto was delish. Unfortunately so delish, that I've only got one portion left

I've done a little tidy of my current account - 1.02. I'm going to hold onto this in my easy access savings for a few days before I send it to my CC. I'm just aware I'll probably be a bit over-keen with this, as the habit is still so new (so not really a habit yet, I suppose) and a couple of days of space should help me if I've over-reached and need to transfer a little back, rather than use my emergency funds or overdraft.

Can't quite believe it's Monday tomorrow, this weekend has gone far too quickly! I suppose I should get myself sorted for work tomorrow instead of reading everyone's diaries on here
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Jan 19, 10:59 PM
    • 8,207 Posts
    • 18,558 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Impressed you managed to clear half your debt last year and if you keep it up then hopefully it will all be gone by the end of this year. Sounds like you are used to living with a tight budget. Your rent and council tax take up a high percentage of your take home pay.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 7th Jan 19, 9:57 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thanks enthusiasticsaver - I'm pretty determined to clear it this year! My rent and CT do look like a luxury on this current budget - if I thought I was going to be in this position for any longer than a year or so, then I would most definitely be looking elsewhere, and/or be seriously picking up some extra work at weekends. However, I don't find sticking to my budget too tricky for the most part (just a bit dull at times) so I'm relatively happy with 'cutting my coat to my cloth' for now

In saying that, I did on take my current job with a view to progressing fairly quickly, so I'm hoping to have made progress in this by the end of the summer. I know of a couple of promoted positions that are coming up in the next six months - one is soon, and I'm not quite ready for it (but will speak to the hiring manager about what they are looking for and will likely apply anyway) and the other will be coming up in a few months after that - so I've got a couple of big targets to knuckle down and aim for.

If, by September, I haven't made any progress in this, anyone is welcome to hold me to account!
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 7th Jan 19, 10:05 PM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    mark88man
    less seriously and to cut down my (free but colorific) lattes at work I have tried a day on black coffee no sugar. sadly the coffee at work is good, but not quite enough to drink black so I compromised on an americano to take the edge off. So not MSE, but should help the waistline, and that is at least as big a priorirty
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    End 18: CC:8K@0% - Car Loan:11K@2.8% - Mort:133K@2.1% = 152K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K

• BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 7th Jan 19, 10:09 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    less seriously and to cut down my (free but colorific) lattes at work I have tried a day on black coffee no sugar. sadly the coffee at work is good, but not quite enough to drink black so I compromised on an americano to take the edge off. So not MSE, but should help the waistline, and that is at least as big a priorirty
    Originally posted by mark88man
    You'll be converted yet!
    I'm drunk my coffee this way since I was around 17 - I don't use milk for anything really, so my black coffee habit meant I avoided all of the 'who had the last of the milk' flatmate fallouts whilst at uni
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 7th Jan 19, 10:16 PM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    mark88man
    a long time ago I was much the same - I've just gone soft in my comfy environment.
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.

• BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 8th Jan 19, 8:52 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Quick post tonight - can't believe we're a week into the new year already!

Another NSD today (6 so far this month) and tidied 1.01 out of my current account. Not much else to add, but all positive in a mundane sort of way!
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 8th Jan 19, 9:38 PM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    mark88man
    Mundane is good. Excitement is usually expensive. Be happy in your skin - just express who you are in cheaper ways

• BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 9th Jan 19, 8:06 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Very wise words Mark!

Another mundanely positive day - another NSD today and tidied 1 out of my current account.

This is really not the most exciting of diaries, so I do apologise to anyone reading It is really helping me stay accountable though, so I'm going to keep posting - dreary updates and all

I really ought to do some housework tonight, but I think I'll curl up and do some knitting instead I have a biiiig project on the go that is taking me forever so I really need to crack on with it. It's quite meditative process really - and the more I do, the more the perfectionist in me can deal with it not being 100% uniform. I think that's the joy in something homemade isn't it? A bumpy stitch here and there, a not-quite-lined-up seam, it all adds to the project. Or so I'll be telling the eventual recipient anyway!
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 9th Jan 19, 8:34 PM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    mark88man
    well if its just me and you talking I will pass on what my OH says about her craft projects - often its the slight flaw that magnifies the beauty of the rest

• BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 9th Jan 19, 9:20 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    That's a lovely way to think - I'll keep that in mind for when the cat gets tangled in the yarn and I have to rip back some stitches alas a fairly regular occurrence!
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 10th Jan 19, 9:16 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Spendy day today - 5 in Bodycare, 3 in Poundworld, 9 in Aldi and then 8 for some work items (but I'll be able to claim this one back).

All in budget, except the work stuff, but as long as I'm quick and can get it approved tomorrow, I will hopefully get it back in this month's pay. Not that 8 is going to break my budget, but it keeps things neat

Paid 5 over to my CC - my DD payment goes out next week, but I'm happy I've been able to squirrel away an extra 16 to it so far this month.

I did have a proper MSE moment earlier - my workplace does a season ticket loan, and as I pay this myself, I thought I'd look into it. It's the usual thing - they loan you the money to pay for an annual ticket in advance and you pay it back out of your salary. HR were very encouraging about it, but I worked out my sums, and compared to my current monthly DD, I'd actually be marginally worse off if I took it up It sounded like a great deal until I worked that out, and my boss was surprised when I said I wasn't going to take it up not so surprised once I went through it. It must work out better for employees based in the South/London/Home Counties offices, but obviously one size does not fit all!
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 11th Jan 19, 8:06 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    So happy it's Friday night - had a properly full-on day at work, so I'm glad to be home for some much needed R&R. It was a NSD - mostly because I didn't get a chance to do anything else but work!

I've got my work event next week, so I'm going to make the most of some quiet time this weekend
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 12th Jan 19, 2:54 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    From being utterly shattered last night, I've been positively fizzing with energy so far today! Just back from a few hours volunteer work - we had a couple of new bods join, so I'm keeping them close to me while they're still learning, but all going well so far. Now home with a coffee and doing some YNAB fiddling, before doing some reading.

Low-ish spend day - ran out off coffee and cat litter so needed remedied asap! Nothing else bought, which I'm proud of as I was hungry and we all know that's a dangerous time to shop
    • BabyStepper
    • By BabyStepper 13th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    BabyStepper
    Interesting to hear how you are getting on with the tilly tidies. Good idea to delay paying it off the cards until you're sure you can afford it. There's no rush really, every day you are on budget is a good one.

Great progress.
    May '18 21,228.07/March '19 15,781.40

25.6% paid

Getting it done

• BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 13th Jan 19, 10:38 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thanks BabyStepper! I'm really looking forward to my 'main' DD going out to my CC next week - the 300 will take me into the 3000s, which really does feel like progress.
    As for the tilly tidies - I have a tendency to be a bit gung-ho at the start of the month in particular, (not to mention impatient!) so adding in that 'holding' step definitely makes sense at the moment. I'm really pleased at how much I've squeezed so far - I've work out if I can shift an extra 25 per month, it will be 300 extra over the course of a year (essentially another month's DD) which will make a huge difference. Definitely incentive to keep going!

Just got to 'keep on keeping on'
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 14th Jan 19, 9:58 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    And so it reaches that time in the month where I start to feel really quite poor! My DD for my CC goes out tomorrow, and as that's my last DD for the month, it's all downhill from here. Still sticking with my YNAB budget, so I know I'm still on track, even if the bank balance looks very depressing towards the end of the week! It does seem a long time since I've been paid - but it's two weeks today, so not that long to wait

Unfortunately there has been a snafu with a work thing, so I've been asked to pay up front for something and get reimbursed via expenses It is not very much in the grand scheme of things (135) but it has to go on my CC (debit card or paypal are not options), and Finance are taking an absolute aaaage while to pay expenses back again at the moment. If I knew I was definitely going to be reimbursed within a month, then I wouldn't fret too much, but I don't want to risk having to pay interest, even if it's just a few pounds. Currently thinking once I've made the payment, I'll transfer the value from my emergency fund to my CC so I'm covered there and will top up the emergency fund when I get reimbursed. I have a couple of days to think about this, but it's really hammering home how much I want rid of this debt!
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 15th Jan 19, 7:18 AM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    mark88man
    Yes I hate when that happens - like they got one job to do and it takes them 6 weeks.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

968Posts Today

6,943Users online

Martin's Twitter