Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 16th Dec 18, 2:29 PM
    • 190Posts
    • 948Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Going, going...still going!
    • 16th Dec 18, 2:29 PM
    Going, going...still going! 16th Dec 18 at 2:29 PM
    Hello! I've been lurking here for a while, and have learnt so much from you all, so I've taken the plunge to join in for my big push to get debt free. I've been on this treadmill for some time (couple of poor decisions, some bad luck and just plain ignorance) and now I'm in my early 30s, I really want to clear my plate, and build a future. It seems like every time I get to within sniffing distance, I jeopardise it with something impulsive, so I'm determined not to do that this time.

My debt was £8619 in November 2017, which scared the life out of me! Since then, I've managed to clear nearly half of it, and luckily what is left is on 0% until Dec 2019. However, a recent job change means I have a bit less disposable income than I would like, so I need encouragement to keep squeezing my pennies where I can! I'll post my SOA in a moment - there's some bits I can target straight away, and I have plans to do some additional work in the new year, but I can always squeeze further! It's just me (and a cat ) to cater for, so we're happy to live on cheap and cheerful!

Looking forward to digging in and getting this millstone gone!
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Current: £2,840 Aim for Dec 2019: £0
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #04 - £1321.28 / £4,161
Page 12
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 14th Apr 19, 8:32 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Hello hello Content, sensible and bimbling along sums it all up quite nicely (for now!)

All on track and on budget - was out last night but it was all quite low-key. Lots of things going on in their lives (buying flats, more kids, new business successes etc.) which made me feel very dull and uninteresting , but such is debt-busting life! I'm very much a singleton, so really don't care about not having a significant other, or children, but I think out of our cohort, I'm now officially the only one still renting Building a deposit starts next year...! Might have to get PawDipper working to earn their keep

Today will be a NSD It's a beautiful day here, so in a little bit I'm going to make another coffee and find somewhere outside to drink it. I've even found a solution to my too-strong coffee discovery - if I 'cut it' with my weaker blend, it's more drinkable, so it will not go to waste take the little wins where you can, right?
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Current: £2,840 Aim for Dec 2019: £0
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 14th Apr 19, 9:23 AM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 8,879 Thanks
    mark88man
    sounds like a lovely day sat out in the sunshine connecting with nature (or as much of it as you can find)

as long as you are happy in your rental and it's not outrageous in £££ then I think you;ll be even stevens for the next few years. the house market is fragile and certainly not roaring away at the moment, and there are a lot of costs when starting. in the longer term I think its important to own as I think Landlords are getting a bit greedy at the moment and I think that will get worse so your next move may be more expensive/less stable

(but you know all this!!)
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    End 18: CC:8K@0% - Car Loan:11K@2.8% - Mort:133K@2.1% = £152K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K

• astrocytic kitten
    • By astrocytic kitten 14th Apr 19, 9:57 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    astrocytic kitten
    I often feel a bit left behind with friends too - Iím happily single (with cats!) but I am wistful when I see my coupled up friends buying houses, Iíd love a garden but just canít afford one on a single income. You never know whatís going on with people though - when I bought my flat my debt started spiralling, all of my friends thought I was so lucky to own (and I was), but they didnít know how constantly worried and ashamed I was of my debt levels even as I kept spending.

Youíve done so well with the debt busting youíll have a deposit in no time though! Enjoy your MSE outdoor coffee
    Total debt: £21,475 (Apr 2019) / £23,167 (Dec 2018)
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 15th Apr 19, 7:09 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    I had a lovely day yesterday...which is good, as nothing has gone right for me today

Ok, bit of an exaggeration, but it has been one of those days where everything I've touched has gone wrong, and everyone has either wanted a piece of me, or has been unwilling to help me. I'm very glad it's a short week!

Plus sides - today was a NSD and should be the same again tomorrow
    • findingthisdifficult
    • By findingthisdifficult 15th Apr 19, 7:17 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    findingthisdifficult
    Sorry you've had a bit of a pants day, I too am glad of the short week

Well done on the NSD, I could do with a few of those now.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time.

Credit Card starting balance £2467 £2151.64 1750current balance £1600 0% until June
    Original Loan amount £23,179 £11,897current balance £11,385
    21 payments left to go
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 15th Apr 19, 8:26 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thanks FTD Tomorrow is another day and all that...hope your week goes quickly too!

I watched Game of Thrones to cheer myself up (after avoiding much of the internet today!) and shortly to take myself off to bed with a book, chamomile tea...and probably PD
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 16th Apr 19, 8:16 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    NSD today

Planning on making tomorrow another one (although that would make it four in a row, and that's usually enough for me to jinx it!)

An invite came through for a social event later in the year. It's so nice to be invited, but I'm feeling a bit conflicted - it's going to take a chunk of money (not masses, but more than I would plan to spend) but there aren't many people invited, so I feel a bit ungrateful if I turn it down. I'm going to be on the big push to clear the CC at that point, and I'd really rather focus on that. Difficult to explain to others. I'm going to try to squeeze my pots a bit further, but think I'm pretty much as far as I want to go for now. From past experience if I go too tight to the wire, it's just mentally exhausting - having a small buffer of even £20 makes things a lot easier.

This all hammers home the point that I really need to focus on increasing my income. The internal role that was mentioned a few weeks back has never come to fruition, and I also looked at my pension predictions earlier this evening, which made for depressing reading. I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed and vulnerable with all things money at the moment Taking things one step (or month) at a time is all well and good, but I can't risk sleepwalking into more bad decisions and not thinking about what is coming up ahead.

No snap decisions to be made, but certainly lots to think about
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 17th Apr 19, 5:44 AM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 8,879 Thanks
    mark88man
    It's a long old slog and that's for sure.

I'm certainly nearer to pension than you and as long as you have one and it's building I wouldn't worry by predictions which are frankly a mix of government constraints, and financial cover your donkey. Put your energy into income and debt and the do pensions at the end of the year!! The pensions board on here are super brainy and helpful! I can hear them saying you've made a good start have plenty of time and as long as you watch costs, and aren't reckless or too cautious you will be OK.

I do agree income is a good goal. Why not make the social event conditional on enough income to cover the cost with some left over

Also you discipline and motivation shine though unlike other diaries on here (eg mine). I have no doubt you will get there as quick as you can then you can move onto other challenges
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    End 18: CC:8K@0% - Car Loan:11K@2.8% - Mort:133K@2.1% = £152K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K

• BabyStepper
    • By BabyStepper 17th Apr 19, 6:01 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    BabyStepper
    How much will the event cost? And how much extra would you need to save every month between now and then to afford it? It might be good to have a mini challenge to focus on along the way, raising extra funds with a treat at the end. Just an idea. Seems a shame to miss an opportunity especially as not many people are invited and you seem to want to go.
    May '18 £21,228.07/April '19 £14,380

32.2% paid

Getting it done

• PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 17th Apr 19, 3:05 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    It sounds to me like you're already working really hard to increase your income - it's frustrating waiting for things to build but these things take time you can do this.

I definitely find having an event to look forward to really motivating, if you set a bit of money aside every week or month it will add up really quickly! Don't forget that life is for living - in a few years, when you look back, you'll remember the experiences you shared with good friends more than the usual daily slog.
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £209/ 600 Car repair loan gone!
    £160/ 1600 Bank loan also gone!
    137.50 / 3300 Student finance (effectively) gone! (Although I will come back to it)
    £640 to go out of £8000
    April NSDs: 9/16
    • BabyStepper
    • By BabyStepper 17th Apr 19, 3:26 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    BabyStepper

I definitely find having an event to look forward to really motivating.
    Originally posted by PawsForThought
    Me too, and the further away it is the better, more time to save up.
    May '18 £21,228.07/April '19 £14,380

32.2% paid

Getting it done

• BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 17th Apr 19, 6:42 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    You're all being very nice, I'm feeling a bit sheepish after my self-indulgent moan of yesterday

If it were only this event I had to save for, I would just tighten the belt further and get on with it. However, I've got a wedding in October (which needs travel and accommodation) and another event in the summer I have to go to, so I need to keep saving towards them. A third thing isn't looking likely. I'm going to ponder over it for a few days more, and make a decision. Fine line between over-committing and making a martyr of myself

On a cheerier note, it's the most gorgeous evening, and PD is demanding some attention, so I'm going to curl up with her and watch the sky change as the sun goes down
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 18th Apr 19, 5:55 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Quick post: not much to report, but NSD today - have to spend a little over the weekend, but should be minimal.
    • Moneywhizz
    • By Moneywhizz 18th Apr 19, 6:37 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Moneywhizz
    Have been following along with your journey and am amazed at how well you stick to such a tight budget and how disciplined you are about your spending. Like others who have commented though I think you should consider going to this event that you have mentioned. You spend so little on entertainment generally and when something comes up that you would like to attend, you might regret not going even if it adds a little bit of time on to your debt free date. I'm not sure if you do surveys but that might be something that you could do to save towards the extra expense. There's nothing wrong with making longer term plans and thinking of ways you can make them happen, but don't be discouraged about where you are at present. Once your debt is gone you can really focus on your next step, whether that be owning your own home, paying more into your pension, or finding ways of increasing your income. More than likely it will be all three. In the meantime you are doing so well paying the debt and you should be pleased with your progress and enjoy each step towards debt freedom.
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 19th Apr 19, 9:29 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thanks for your nice words Moneywhizz. I'm still undecided, but giving it some more thought. I need to RSVP by 29th, so I have a bit of time. I have tried some surveys - I can't put myself through sw@gbucks as it's a lot of effort for pennies (or nothing at all, I tend to get screened out at the end), and I don't agree with the level of personal information they gather. However, I have an account with PA, and I'm a bit comfier with that.

Today will be a NSD It's such a nice day, PD is lying in a sunny spot on the carpet, scooching over ever so slightly every now and again to stay in it. I'm having a coffee and trying to summon the energy to do a bit of housework

My CC payment has gone out earlier than expected - it's not showing as pending on my CC account, so I won't count it as actually paid yet. It's probably due to the bank holidays, but it's nearly a week early. Not an issue for me, as it's all budgeted for, but must be a bit of a shock to those that get paid weekly. The payments dates have been a bit weird since they changed the app and the website, and have been creeping later in the month, so maybe this is a coincidence and it's going back to where it used to be. Something to keep an eye on
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 20th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    CC payment is now showing as clearing on my CC app, so I've decided to count it now Numbers won't be updated properly until Tuesday, but as the money has gone from my account, I think it counts now

This is a big one for me, I'm now at £2,840, so under £3,000 of debt for the first time in about 5 years. From my starting point of £8,619 in Nov 2017, this means I'm about 2/3 of the way there. Also, as this CC has a £6,000 limit, I'm now using less than half of that.

It may not always feel like it, but it's chipping away, and progress is being made. Just have to keep on track
    • findingthisdifficult
    • By findingthisdifficult 20th Apr 19, 8:04 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    findingthisdifficult
    Well done BlackCoffee, that's great progress!!
    2/3 of the way there, the end is almost in sight.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time.

Credit Card starting balance £2467 £2151.64 1750current balance £1600 0% until June
    Original Loan amount £23,179 £11,897current balance £11,385
    21 payments left to go
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 20th Apr 19, 8:52 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    Thank you FTD - being in the next thousand pound bracket does feel like progress. All being well, by the end of July I should be below £2K, and then the push will really be on to clear it!
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 21st Apr 19, 4:54 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    NSD today Mostly because it's too hot outside for me, but it's starting to feel cooler now.

Not sure how I'm going to spend tomorrow - I really should do some work, but another day of relaxing and pootling through my 'home' to-do list sounds more inviting! Will have to venture out at some point tomorrow as the fridge is empty, but will just buy enough for a few days, and get to an Aldi or Lidl later in the week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

1,833Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin