Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 15th Dec 18, 10:50 PM
    • 297Posts
    • 1,158Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    I think i need a diary
    • 15th Dec 18, 10:50 PM
    I think i need a diary 15th Dec 18 at 10:50 PM
    Hello all. Ive toyed with the idea of a diary but to be honest up until now it would have been mortgage v dmp with no clear winner and a possible entry to the guiness book of records with how long it would take if I sucessfully posted that long.
    Anyway i have wonderful news as my brother is getting married to someone with whom he is absolutely meant to be with. He lives in a far off land and its probably happening this year- a quick google of basic flight costs means i need to put aside 4.33 per day for 365 days just to cover flights ( two adults three kids and wedding possibly sooner).
    Anyhow as the title suggests i think I may need a diary so I have someone to talk too on the way and to get some miracle ideas x.
    DH is not interested in our financial plight at all although actually had a flicker of a lightbulb this week as he has opened up a savings account and put 1.28 in it x
    35,213 - Jan 2018, 30113 remaining.
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    1% challenge. At ...somewhere in single figures again....
Page 5
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 16th Apr 19, 12:12 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Not posted in a month. Wow how time flies. Got a little de motivated being back over the 30 k, have been getting all obsessive over it which is no good if its going to take so long. Obsession is only good if its a short term all effort in task. My savings goals and my debt are both longer term so need slow and steady win the race.
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 16th Apr 19, 12:32 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Anyhow here goes with a brief update.
    Natwest have confirmed the interests and charges are removed and have knocked 50 off due to the mix up this and last year. They have also agreed to apply no interest from now on as long as i meet minimum payment (aprox 15 pcm). Its a wierd set up seen as its a debt on a c card that has no c limit and is in my maiden name and has been closed for over 10 years but the main thing is it is now being repaid at the amount i actually owed with no interest so ill take it. Should be back under 30k by end of next month if i try hard.

In other news my car has gone. The problem with it starting was starting to happen mid driving. Its been going on for 6 months and garage had done things before to try and fix it but it had never cut out whilst moving before. A friend mentioned last week they were planning to sell their car so i said would it be any good for us etc and we seized the opportunity and will be officially buying it off him at the end of this week when the money from my help to save account clears into my bank. My car has been sold to a dealer who wouldnt say directly but appears to want to break it up to sell for parts. Id prefer that to be honest id have felt uncomfortable if a young family came to view it (was a 7 seater ideal for fitting 3 car seats in a row)
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 16th Apr 19, 12:34 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Emergency fund gone and savings obliterated so signature needs updating when i know the damage. Ha ha
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 17th Apr 19, 7:35 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    So depending on how much we need to pay to adjust car insurance and tax etc the finances are roughly.

9 days till payday. 20 for petrol 50 for food. 39 to pay for holiday via s newspaper.

Bills account has enough in to cover d debits.

40 allocated for easter holiday kids spends. Hasnt been spent yet mainly due to it being borrowed for car ha ha. Get 2nd job wages tommorow so will take kids somewhere as a treat as we have been limited with no car. Not done too bad as all activities have been free so far -yay well done me.

Any left over i will put towards easter eggs or food.

Debts wise im just over 30 k and in payment plans with everyone now.
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 17th Apr 19, 7:41 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Savings i have 350 to my name. Ive downloaded a snowball calculator and put all my debts and savings targets in it.
    The savings targets are listed as money owed eg hen night 150 tv licence 155 and as i pay anything into my savings it will show as a reduced amount owed. I listed them in roughly the order i need to achieve. If i save hard get 3 shifts a month in my second with no more emergencies things may stay on track......
    Famous last words. X
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Apr 19, 10:23 AM
    • 10,284 Posts
    • 35,742 Thanks
    jwil
    You are doing really well
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 18th Apr 19, 12:36 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Thanks jwil. Although the debt is mega and savings on the low side i am seeming to cope with things that crop up far better and almost make it to payday with a plus sign.
    We have kids who are 7 4 and 4. When we realised hard the finances/nursery costs/decreased wages were going to affect us with the twins were young we defaulted on debts, joined stepchange and set the aim of still having the house ie the mortgage in place till they were 3 (funded hours time ha ha).
    Its been hard, cupboards are always empty and the house is an embarassment but i think weve turned a corner now and the second job is making it easier i must admit.

Todays news is second job wages recieved and basic food provisions and petrol bought. 15 left in food budget; 5 left in petrol, took kids to park then asda click and collect as it was free so 40 still in easter break fund to buy easter eggs and entertain us till payday.

Total result as well when i swapped details on my car insurance and it cost me a massive 0 pounds. Very impressed.
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    • jwil
    • By jwil 19th Apr 19, 9:08 AM
    • 10,284 Posts
    • 35,742 Thanks
    jwil
    Thanks jwil. Although the debt is mega and savings on the low side i am seeming to cope with things that crop up far better and almost make it to payday with a plus sign.
    We have kids who are 7 4 and 4. When we realised hard the finances/nursery costs/decreased wages were going to affect us with the twins were young we defaulted on debts, joined stepchange and set the aim of still having the house ie the mortgage in place till they were 3 (funded hours time ha ha).
    Its been hard, cupboards are always empty and the house is an embarassment but i think weve turned a corner now and the second job is making it easier i must admit.
    Originally posted by NeverendingDMP
    I know exactly what you mean, the same situation here. It's great to hear that you feel you have turned that corner now. I'm the same now that we are getting the free nursery hours. It will be even better next year when little miss starts school. My defaults will all start dropping off in the next 2-3 years, so hopefully not long after she starts school, the debts will be reducing, the credit rating will be improving to enable us to remortgage if we need to and we will be able to live a little while they are still young.
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 19th Apr 19, 10:59 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Eggs bought ,suns shining and 30 left till payday!!

Yes jwil i agree, all mine are at proper school from sept and though childcare will go up again because of breakfast and afterschool clubs it will be more manageable. My defaults will drop 2022/23 ish i think. Mortgage is us up this sept but im hoping i can automatically renew online for another 5 years for a reasonable/similar rate.

Its been easier since going self managed as ive settled a couple if smaller ones and based the budget on our normal jobs income to allow me to save for the wedding. Just need to stop sending the savings ....although at least a car is real spending not wasted junk...we hope.

Not sure how old/what size/whether you have boy or girl littles but i will have grey pinafores in age 3 and 4 going spare over the next few weeks if you want them.
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 22nd Apr 19, 7:49 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Had a lovely weekend. Family came to stay and had barbeque; trip to park.

kids ate some real food as well as lots of chocolate. Our visitor very kindly did a food shop to bulk out the fridge and get some picnic food in as well. All back at school and work soon but low budget break has been acheived. No second job work this weekend as didnt want to commit to anything until we knew new car was sorted then all shifts had gone but its not a bad thing to have a family weekend off.
    Third job as bank staff is still undergoing dbs and recruitment checks but should be sorted over next few weeks i would think.
    Four days till payday and ive got 5 pounds cash and 5 pounds morrisons voucher in my purse and 22 pounds left in my bank for food petrol and activities. Im aiming to have 10 or 15 left by payday. Let the challenge begin x
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 22nd Apr 19, 1:30 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Hello,

I've been trying to find you since I read your great news on the natwest problem on the main board. Now I can see why - you've been crazy busy.

I really feel for you trying to do it all on your own without help from your partner. Especially when he's running up debts with friends. I hope you've made it clear that it has nothing to do with you and you will not be paying it off for him.

Otherwise it sounds like you're doing great - you've CCA'd all of your accounts, you've checked them all for PPI and you're managing your own DMP. So you sound like you're well up to date with all your debt knowledge and nailing it. Have you tried any missold complaints? Pay day loans or package current accounts?

With the debts I'm sure they've had your money back out of you and the debt companies have bought it for peanuts so don't give them any more money than necessary. You need to prioritise you, your kids, the wedding plans and getting a reliable motor on the road. It's hard enough budgeting.

I work 9.30 - 2.30. No breakfast clubs. No afterschool clubs. Yes I have a very basic job but I don't pay for any childcare. For me its essential as hubby works away a lot but I don't know if it would suit you better? It's not term time so it's not perfect but there you go. I'd much rather do fewer whole days but it's much better for our family and managing everything. Come September you could do it 5 days a week? Could you negotiate that with your old job? I also have one starting school in September and it's my youngest too so I don't know if I'll be more relieved or devastated.

Keep up the great work xxx
    Loan 1 4900/8000
    Loan 2 2900/5800
    Total 7800/13800 43% PAID

And CC 1250/1900
    • jwil
    • By jwil 22nd Apr 19, 5:08 PM
    • 10,284 Posts
    • 35,742 Thanks
    jwil
    Eggs bought ,suns shining and 30 left till payday!!

Yes jwil i agree, all mine are at proper school from sept and though childcare will go up again because of breakfast and afterschool clubs it will be more manageable. My defaults will drop 2022/23 ish i think. Mortgage is us up this sept but im hoping i can automatically renew online for another 5 years for a reasonable/similar rate.

Its been easier since going self managed as ive settled a couple if smaller ones and based the budget on our normal jobs income to allow me to save for the wedding. Just need to stop sending the savings ....although at least a car is real spending not wasted junk...we hope.

Not sure how old/what size/whether you have boy or girl littles but i will have grey pinafores in age 3 and 4 going spare over the next few weeks if you want them.
    Originally posted by NeverendingDMP
    Aww thank you. My little miss is only 3 but she's tall so in 4-5 already I dread to think what she'll be in when she starts school!
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 23rd Apr 19, 3:46 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Ive got one twin taller than the other so im hoping to only buy one new set of pinafores. Ive got aged 5 already in use but taller twin is going to be age 6 or 7 by sept. An hoping shorter one can stay same size bless her and make do with the age 5 for now and ill buy some new age 6.
    Had news that breakfast/afterschool club is being taken over by school not the private firm who runs it now. Cyrrent staff have been told their jobs arent safe which i think is most unfair and daft as they are v experienced. Emailed the head teacher today to say i hope its a smooth transition with continuity of care espec as staff have been trying to get to know the twins before they even start school Hope he got the message and it all works out for them. Its a good set up apart from the price. Ha ha
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 23rd Apr 19, 3:53 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Hi kitten868. Thanks for popping by. Dh is a nightmare. Subs for beer and petrol etc. He pays it back but its continuous and affects my flipping budget as hes always short by week 3 of his month.

Debt knowledge was all gained on the boards. I claim no credit for that.
    Thankfully payday lending hadnt really got going when we built the debt so i didnt have that hassle.
    The nature of my job means i prob couldnt shorten it to much but i fully intend to....not get given a place for all 3 children .... on at least 1 morning... from september so i have to ask to start later and finish later. Im sure it will happen as i have accidentally on purpose not put their name down for one of the days to save money. I reckon i can alter my hours one day a week without too much arguing. X school hours working would be a dream. If only to have everyone rounded up and back home at a reasonable hour.
    Mortgage 77230- Jan 2018
    73892 remaining.
    Emergency fund 18
    Make 2019- 632.33/2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,211Posts Today

7,118Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin