Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • saab93
    • By saab93 10th Dec 18, 3:54 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    saab93
    Britannia Parking BW Legal court action threat
    • 10th Dec 18, 3:54 PM
    Britannia Parking BW Legal court action threat 10th Dec 18 at 3:54 PM
    Please help.

My wife appears to have a LBCCA from Britannia Parking / BW Legal (letters arrived in the same envelope).

They require payment in full (£160 made up of £100 PCN and supposed legal costs of £60) or a response within 16 days or they will seek their clients instructions to commence legal proceedings.

This relates to an alleged contravention in July 2016 for non payment for parking. I started to receive letters (as the registered keeper at the time) and duly responded to explain that my wife was the driver and that on the day in question my daughter purchased a ticket that was displayed. It would appear that around this time the car park in question had changed the machines so that the VRN had to be entered in to the machine. They sent me records of their machine which did not have our registration number on. After asking them to exercise reason ability (which they declined) I then received various letters demanding money from what appeared to be debt collectors.

We stated to Britannia that we would not pay the fine but would happily pay for the parking hours.

2 and a half years later we are now in this position.

Should I respond to Britannia or BW Legal?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 10th Dec 18, 4:10 PM
    • 38,500 Posts
    • 86,321 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:10 PM
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:10 PM
    Respond to BW using th step by step guide to court you will find in post 2 of the NEWBIES.
    This takes you right through the whole process from LBCC to the court appearance.

In addition, send an SAR to Britannia asking what personal data they hold about you. There is a link in the NEWBIES to a template you can use for this.

Please also complain to your MP about this unregulated scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • saab93
    • By saab93 10th Dec 18, 4:33 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    saab93
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:33 PM
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:33 PM
    Thank you Fruitcake. How to I get to NEWBIES please?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 10th Dec 18, 4:36 PM
    • 21,006 Posts
    • 26,382 Thanks
    Redx
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:36 PM
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:36 PM
    top of this forum, third thread down

if this had 16 days notice and no financial forms to fill in, then its a debt collector letter and NOT an LBCCC

an LBC has 30 days notice + financial forms you dont fill in
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • saab93
    • By saab93 10th Dec 18, 4:39 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    saab93
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:39 PM
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:39 PM
    Thanks Redx. So if it is a debt collector letter should I ignore it?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Dec 18, 4:43 PM
    • 12,040 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:43 PM
    • 10th Dec 18, 4:43 PM
    Post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread tells you exactly how to deal with debt collectors letters.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 10th Dec 18, 5:06 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 5,247 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 10th Dec 18, 5:06 PM
    • 10th Dec 18, 5:06 PM
    "They require payment in full (£160 made up of £100 PCN and supposed legal costs of £60)"

We are seeing this more and they are lying, the £60 additional cost is for debt collection not "legal costs" at this stage and if the file is handed back they have failed and the claim goes back to £100.

Scumbags!
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Dec 18, 5:55 PM
    • 10,085 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 10th Dec 18, 5:55 PM
    • 10th Dec 18, 5:55 PM

They require payment in full (£160 made up of £100 PCN and supposed legal costs of £60) or a response within 16 days or they will seek their clients instructions to commence legal proceedings.
    Originally posted by saab93
    As said above, BWLegal are trying to extort money from you. They say the £60 is for many things, as they are making this up as they go, they don't know themselves

The simple fact is they are attempting double recovery ......

BWLEGAL ADD ON A FAKE £60 ?
    In addition to the 'parking charge', the Claimant's legal representatives, BWLegal, have artificially inflated the value of the Claim by adding costs of £60 which has not actually been incurred by the Claimant, and which are artificially invented figures in an attempt to circumvent the Small Claims costs rules using double recovery.
    >>>> thanks to bargepole

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5672664

BWLegal are attempting to extort money from you and you should complain to SRA about this
    https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems.page

Wait to get a REAL LBC where they must prove their claim and amounts plus, give you 30 days to respond.

The letter you have is "the 16 day BWLegal rubbish"
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • saab93
    • By saab93 11th Dec 18, 4:57 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    saab93
    • 11th Dec 18, 4:57 PM
    • 11th Dec 18, 4:57 PM
    I had their letters before (from different firms) and the amount drops yet I'm concerned that this appears more legal?

Is it likely to drop to £100 again?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Dec 18, 4:58 PM
    • 12,040 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    KeithP
    Is it likely to drop to £100 again?
    No .
    • saab93
    • By saab93 11th Dec 18, 5:58 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    saab93
    Am I ok to approach Britannia rather than BW legal regarding the letters as they have requested?
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 11th Dec 18, 6:21 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    Interesting that this came up today - we received a batch of these at work for some Britannia parking charges.

Have BP only signed up with BW Legal recently, as previous threat-o-grams have come through DRP.

They got one of my polite "GFY" letters - we've responded to each of their charges previously, and BritPark are notoriously bad for POFA compliance.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 11th Dec 18, 7:49 PM
    • 10,085 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Interesting that this came up today - we received a batch of these at work for some Britannia parking charges.

Have BP only signed up with BW Legal recently, as previous threat-o-grams have come through DRP.

They got one of my polite "GFY" letters - we've responded to each of their charges previously, and BritPark are notoriously bad for POFA compliance.
    Originally posted by StaffsSW
    Love your thinking, a man after my own heart. If only we could tell everyone to tell BWLegal to GFY

BWL seem to make friends with the weirdest of scammers, right now it's the "odd couple" relationship with Britannia

The intelligence level of BWL is a lot to be desired and it seems they are hell bent on being whooped in court over the £60 double recovery scam they are currently running.

They got whooped so many times with their rubbish about Elliott v Loake and CPS v AJH Films which also rubbished Excel/VCS

I see recently they started that rubbish again.??

So, whilst BWLegal continue as money thugs, my suggestion is tell everyone to complain to the SRA and of course their MP

Sooner or later ???? ........

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 12th Dec 18, 9:15 AM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    StaffsSW

So, whilst BWLegal continue as money thugs, my suggestion is tell everyone to complain to the SRA and of course their MP

Sooner or later ???? ........
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    My MP is Jared O'Mara.

My voice, along with many others in the area, remains unheard and effectively unrepresented.

I may create a template for SRA complaints though, just to stir up trouble. Could I make a separate complaint for each charge, because I get dozens of letters from QDR each month about bye-law 14 tickets.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 12th Dec 18, 9:44 AM
    • 10,085 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    beamerguy
    My MP is Jared O'Mara.

My voice, along with many others in the area, remains unheard and effectively unrepresented.

I may create a template for SRA complaints though, just to stir up trouble. Could I make a separate complaint for each charge, because I get dozens of letters from QDR each month about bye-law 14 tickets.
    Originally posted by StaffsSW
    I think a template would be unwise as it would be seen as a copy and paste. People should write their own complaints

YES, 14 problems must equal 14 complaints

Bear in mind that QDR are the cheapo version of Wright Hassall, it would be worth saying about this duo

Labour MP Jared O’Mara, who was suspended after abusive messages he had made on social media resurfaced, has resigned from the party

Foolish Labour party for allowing him back
    He was reinstated by the party, with officials saying he should attend training and be given a formal warning over the string of homophobic and misogynistic comments he had made online

I would imagine he has not been re-trained yet
    Last edited by beamerguy; 12-12-2018 at 9:52 AM.

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 12th Dec 18, 1:26 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    I think a template would be unwise as it would be seen as a copy and paste. People should write their own complaints

YES, 14 problems must equal 14 complaints

Bear in mind that QDR are the cheapo version of Wright Hassall, it would be worth saying about this duo

Labour MP Jared O’Mara, who was suspended after abusive messages he had made on social media resurfaced, has resigned from the party

Foolish Labour party for allowing him back
    He was reinstated by the party, with officials saying he should attend training and be given a formal warning over the string of homophobic and misogynistic comments he had made online

I would imagine he has not been re-trained yet
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    I'd only use a template because so many of the issues and scenarios I deal with and arguments I use are consistent.

Jared quit the Labour party rather than undergo training. , which speaks volumes about the make of the man. He now stands as an independent, but his attendance and voting record are abysmal, and does nothing noticeable for the constituents
    The Commons is too noisy for him it seems, which is quite remarkable given that he used to be a DJ and promoter for one of the busiest bar & nightclubs in Sheffield.
    • saab93
    • By saab93 13th Jan 19, 5:21 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    saab93
    So I have now had a letter of claim (dated 19th December 2018).

I have subsequently contacted Britannia by email and telephone and advised that although our permission remains the same (we haven't done anything wrong) that I would be willing to pay the original £60 fine to stop all of this nonsense and the stress it brings.

Britannia refuse to discuss it and say I must only speak to BW Legal.

They clearly want the £100 fine amount along with BW Legal £60 "fee".

Is my only option now to send an SAR to both?

Any advice gratefully received.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    • 65,507 Posts
    • 78,064 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    No SAR to BW Legal; that's not what the NEWBIES thread says.

And please, for your SAR to Britannia by email to their DPO, use the Legal Beagles template linked in the NEWBIES thread, not a long list of stuff.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Jan 19, 5:33 PM
    • 10,085 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    beamerguy
    So I have now had a letter of claim (dated 19th December 2018).

I have subsequently contacted Britannia by email and telephone and advised that although our permission remains the same (we haven't done anything wrong) that I would be willing to pay the original £60 fine to stop all of this nonsense and the stress it brings.

Britannia refuse to discuss it and say I must only speak to BW Legal.

They clearly want the £100 fine amount along with BW Legal £60 "fee".

Is my only option now to send an SAR to both?

Any advice gratefully received.
    WOW you do believe in living in the danger zone.
    Why take so long from the 19th Dec to tell us ??

The LBC times out within 30 days ???

Does the LBC provide proof of their claim, pictures, proof the amount etc. ???

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • saab93
    • By saab93 13th Jan 19, 5:43 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    saab93
    I've had pictures sent to me before and details from the parking machine but that was from the original letters.

Their current LBC has no proof of claim at all.

I have until 23rd Jan to respond so not really danger zone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,835Posts Today

9,702Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Did I really just hear in the Commons "his politics is the politics of Vicki Pollard yeah, but, no, but yeah!" Or h? https://t.co/ak6iBlvVX4

• Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Follow Martin