Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 10th Dec 18, 12:14 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 30Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    MSE News: Small energy supplier One Select stops trading - what you need to know
    • 10th Dec 18, 12:14 PM
    MSE News: Small energy supplier One Select stops trading - what you need to know 10th Dec 18 at 12:14 PM
    One Select, a small supplier with 36,000 domestic customers, has become the latest energy firm to stop trading. If you're affected, your energy supply will continue as normal and any outstanding credit balance you have is protected....
    Read the full story:
    'Small energy supplier One Select stops trading - what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 7
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 9th Jan 19, 11:53 PM
    • 16,625 Posts
    • 23,552 Thanks
    antrobus
    How annoying. I wonder if they try to recoup the cost of reimbursing customers in credit by fiddling the units like that? I've got this little pleasure to come as I'm with Economy Energy.
    Originally posted by jk0
    No need. The cost of reimbursing customers in credit will be met by a levy on the remaining suppliers.

Just musing -what happens if the OFGEM Supplier of last Resort goes bust trying to cope with the takeover ??
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    They find another SOLR to take on both.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 10th Jan 19, 12:25 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    wavelets
    Just musing -what happens if the OFGEM Supplier of last Resort goes bust trying to cope with the takeover ??
    Unlikely, because:
    (a) to date all SoLRs have actively bidded to take over a supplier that has ceased to trade (i.e. Ofgem have not forcibly appointed one - if they did, they would probably just pick one of the Big 6 who would probably hardly notice the taking over of a minnow)
    (b) Ofgem review the bids received to ensure it's the best deal for the customer, and so would reject a bid if they considered the takeover would fail,
    and probably most importantly
    (c) bidding suppliers can ask for loads of money to cover the cost of taking over a failed supplier, the value of which they seem to claim after they have established those costs involved. The bid only states what elements they may claim for (and perhaps an estimate of the cost), and Ofgem then reviews the actual value once it is claimed.

e.g. here is £13.8m claim Octopus put in after taking over failed supplier, Iresa
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/last-resort-supplier-payment-claim-octopus-energy

Note the claim also includes £1.6m financing cost of capital Octopus made available to fund the takeover for the period before they submitted their claim.
    Ofgem is minded to consent to the claim in full.
    Last edited by wavelets; 10-01-2019 at 12:45 AM.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 10th Jan 19, 6:53 AM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 8,988 Thanks
    masonic
    Unfortunately, I think that the figures they have produced have been "validated" and the opening reading I gave them , altered to give this reduced closing read for OS - this results in a higher credit being carried forward to Together. - I doubt whether anyone is going to reissue a bill which has presumably been agreed with the administrators of OS.
    The estimated reading my final bill is based upon appeared on my account on 14th December, whereas if it went through the validation process is should not have appeared for 5-10 working days after the date it was made.

But it's not something I'm going to fight if TE end up using the OS figure rather than the one I provided them. I'm in the process of moving and the £80 cashback I'll receive will more than compensate me for my spell at TE.
    Last edited by masonic; 10-01-2019 at 6:55 AM.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 10th Jan 19, 6:59 AM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 8,988 Thanks
    masonic
    e.g. here is £13.8m claim Octopus put in after taking over failed supplier, Iresa
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/last-resort-supplier-payment-claim-octopus-energy
    Originally posted by wavelets
    That makes me wonder if it would have just been cheaper to bung some cash at the failed supplier while winding them down in a less extreme manner.
    • Atomicsnail
    • By Atomicsnail 10th Jan 19, 10:58 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Atomicsnail
    The estimated reading my final bill is based upon appeared on my account on 14th December, whereas if it went through the validation process is should not have appeared for 5-10 working days after the date it was made.

But it's not something I'm going to fight if TE end up using the OS figure rather than the one I provided them. I'm in the process of moving and the £80 cashback I'll receive will more than compensate me for my spell at TE.
    Originally posted by masonic
    Do you have a TE account setup? I'm wanting to switch but I don't have an account set up yet. They've not taken any money as I cancelled direct debit and am in 175 credit from OS.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 10th Jan 19, 12:20 PM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 8,988 Thanks
    masonic
    Do you have a TE account setup? I'm wanting to switch but I don't have an account set up yet. They've not taken any money as I cancelled direct debit and am in 175 credit from OS.
    Originally posted by Atomicsnail
    My new supplier confirmed TE managed to take over my supply on 24th December. TE stated in an email to all customers that our accounts would be set up by 8th January.

TE has not shared an account number with me, nor provided me with a first bill / account statement, nor provided me with online access. It has not shared any timelines for providing customers with any of these things.

The good news is that it is not necessary to know your account details in order to switch.
    • lagib
    • By lagib 10th Jan 19, 4:12 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    lagib
    @lagib

The Citizens Advice Bureau price comparison site does have the Together OS Dec 18 tariff so you can use them to compare suppliers.
    https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Thanks gsminx. I will certainly try it.
    • lagib
    • By lagib 10th Jan 19, 4:18 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    lagib
    I believe uswitch carries the Tariff, but you can just plug in any supplier and tariff, then compare the rates for the cheapest result to those provided by Together. It should be obvious if there is a saving to be had.
    Originally posted by masonic
    Thanks masonic.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 10th Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    wavelets
    Thanks gsminx. I will certainly try it.
    Originally posted by lagib
    I would recommend this link instead

https://www.energylinx.co.uk/energy/cashback/

Exactly the same results, as the CAB use a disabled/doctored version of the Energylinx comparison site which is accedited by Ofgem, but you could earn yourself £34 possible cashback for switching (£17 per fuel)

• lagib
    • By lagib 10th Jan 19, 4:33 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    lagib
    I would recommend this link instead

https://www.energylinx.co.uk/energy/cashback/

Exactly the same results, as the CAB use a disabled/doctored version of the Energylinx comparison site which is accedited by Ofgem, but you could earn yourself £34 possible cashback for switching (£17 per fuel)

Originally posted by wavelets
    Thanks wavelets and I will try your suggestion too.
    • Boatymike
    • By Boatymike 10th Jan 19, 4:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Boatymike
    I went onto confused.com, they listed the Together OS Dec 18 tariff.
    For me powershop came in at £300 cheaper.

Also nothing from together regarding account number or online access, although they have taken 2 direct debits of £115 each...
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 11th Jan 19, 1:01 PM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 860 Thanks
    nickcc
    Just started the switch to Pure Planet, estimated saving of just under £100 per annum. Still haven't got the together energy account number but switch appears to be going ahead. Used the energylinx website thanks to wavelets.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 13th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 3,013 Thanks
    nigelbb
    Still no reply to any of my emails to Together Energy & no money paid either & no TE account number or login or ability to enter meter readings. According to https://findmysupplier.energy my supplier is still OneSelect.

I have lost count of the number of emails I have sent but not even had an acknowledgement.

I have told them that I am happy to pay my bills but not set up a DD as I don't want to be in the same situation as with OneSelect where I am in credit & they go bust freezing my money.
    Last edited by nigelbb; 13-01-2019 at 9:38 AM.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 13th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 860 Thanks
    nickcc
    Pure Planet switch due to be completed in 16 days with final bill from together energy due in 4 to 6 weeks following switch.
    • wrighar
    • By wrighar 14th Jan 19, 10:54 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wrighar
    I went back to my bank and got a little grumpy with them.

My £122 extra taken payment DD has now been returned, I just need to wait for Together Energy to process the remaining £35.41 credit

Thanks,
    Originally posted by wrighar
    I've now waited the required amount of time for account to be loaded to TE.
    So tried the One select number again today, it's no longer being used, so then tried the TE one.

Apparently, as my account closed on Dec 6th (in credit) no account details have been passed by OS to TE.

I've been told I need to write to the Administrators BDO LLP to request my money back...

Will that be covered fully by the OfGEM protection, or will I now be classed as an unsecured creditor at xP in the £?
    Last edited by wrighar; 14-01-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 14th Jan 19, 2:41 PM
    • 5,461 Posts
    • 2,429 Thanks
    brewerdave

Apparently, as my account closed on Dec 6th (in credit) no account details have been passed by OS to TE.

I've been told I need to write to the Administrators BDO LLP to request my money back...

Will that be covered fully by the OfGEM protection, or will I now be classed as an unsecured creditor at xP in the £?

According to Together's website own FAQs re OS customer takeover ,you have been given bum information - they WILL be responsible for sorting out your credit balance!!
    • masonic
    • By masonic 14th Jan 19, 6:13 PM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 8,988 Thanks
    masonic
    I've had an update from my (hopefully) new supplier stating that although they have attempted to gain control of my supply several times, it continues to be blocked. This apparently affects a number of Together accounts currently coming across to them and even some of those transfers initiated after 8th January (when we were given the all clear to switch) have resulted in cancellation.
    • wrighar
    • By wrighar 14th Jan 19, 10:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wrighar
    According to Together's website own FAQs re OS customer takeover ,you have been given bum information - they WILL be responsible for sorting out your credit balance!!
    Excellent thanks, I handn't seen that:

"I left OneSelect but I’m still waiting to reclaim my credit from them. Will Together Energy pay me for this?
    Yes, we’ll honour credit balances for those customers who had already left OneSelect but still have credits owed. We’ll be in touch with you shortly to update you on the process."

I had indeed left One Select, and was still owed a refund.

Appeard according to TE, that OS have not passed my credit record over.

I will call TE again tomorrow
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 14th Jan 19, 11:40 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    I had indeed left One Select, and was still owed a refund.

Appeard according to TE, that OS have not passed my credit record over.

I will call TE again tomorrow
    I would wait. Based on other cases, its likely to take a couple of months for TE to get around to dealing with customers who have left OS previously and have a credit balance remaining.

Their priority has to be be dealing with current OS customers first (i.e. the size of your credit won't change) - so not to add to the number of customers with billing issues.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Jan 19, 10:56 AM
    • 5,461 Posts
    • 2,429 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Together Energy have updated FAQs again re OS customers - now saying ,"hoping" to give ex OS customers online access by end of month ! Which month one asks??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

919Users online

Martin's Twitter