Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 7th Dec 18, 11:00 AM
    • 203Posts
    • 41Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    0 WOW
    Ryanair passengers face £115 fee after name-change 'glitch' - MSE News
    • 7th Dec 18, 11:00 AM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair passengers face £115 fee after name-change 'glitch' - MSE News 7th Dec 18 at 11:00 AM
    Some Ryanair customers who've booked flights for passengers with different surnames have reported a bizarre glitch which apparently results in the group's surnames being changed to be the same - and those affected could face a £115 fee to correct the booking...
    Read the full story:
    'Ryanair passengers face £115 fee after name-change 'glitch''

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Backbiter
    • By Backbiter 7th Dec 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Backbiter
    • 7th Dec 18, 8:13 PM
    • 7th Dec 18, 8:13 PM
    Not been affected by this glitch, but Ryanair's website did alter my wife's surname after I'd entered it from the drop down list that showed her as a past passenger.
    We have an unhyphenated double-barrelled surname, but when I selected my wife's name and completed the booking, Ryanair only included the second of the surnames.
    Fortunately I spotted this in the confirmation email and was able to correct it without penalty straight away. Otherwise, it would have been a very expensive mistake.

To be fair, quite a few airlines can't cope with our surname unless we put both names as a single surname with no gap. Ryanair doesn't normally have a problem with it - we've flown with them dozens of times - but it did this time.
    Our passports clearly show the correct surname so it's odd that airlines struggle with it.
    • Lesley5
    • By Lesley5 19th Dec 18, 12:05 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Lesley5
    • 19th Dec 18, 12:05 PM
    Attempted Ripp off AGAIN by RyanAir
    • 19th Dec 18, 12:05 PM
    Like many others we have our names entered in the "myRyanAir" account.
    This time, it changed my name to the same as my partner's on making a booking!!!???
    Tried to tell Ryanair via chat and email to their IT Department but they won't budge from the £115 to change name. GRRRRR

Hopefully they will try some other underhand technique to squeeze extra cash from this booking that will enable us to cancel free of charge
    Last edited by Lesley5; 27-12-2018 at 6:10 PM. Reason: Error on price to correct name
    • Westin
    • By Westin 19th Dec 18, 12:09 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Westin
    • 19th Dec 18, 12:09 PM
    • 19th Dec 18, 12:09 PM
    Did you make the booking on your boyfriend's computer by chance? You may have had Google Auto-Fill switched on.
    • Backbiter
    • By Backbiter 22nd Dec 18, 11:32 AM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Backbiter
    • 22nd Dec 18, 11:32 AM
    • 22nd Dec 18, 11:32 AM
    Not been affected by this glitch, but Ryanair's website did alter my wife's surname after I'd entered it from the drop down list that showed her as a past passenger.
    We have an unhyphenated double-barrelled surname, but when I selected my wife's name and completed the booking, Ryanair only included the second of the surnames.
    Fortunately I spotted this in the confirmation email and was able to correct it without penalty straight away. Otherwise, it would have been a very expensive mistake.

To be fair, quite a few airlines can't cope with our surname unless we put both names as a single surname with no gap. Ryanair doesn't normally have a problem with it - we've flown with them dozens of times - but it did this time.
    Our passports clearly show the correct surname so it's odd that airlines struggle with it.
    Originally posted by Backbiter
    Well, that was stressful, but fair play, Ryanair's online chat sorted it free of charge.
    After spotting the problem with my wife's surname (see above), I checked us in last night for our flight tomorrow, and the same thing had happened to one of my sons (there are four of us).
    Three of our boarding passes showed our full surname, but my son's just showed the last of our double-barrelled name (Mogg, not Rees Mogg, for example - no hyphen). The problem seems to be their website at the point of booking, when it shows you a drop down list of previous passengers. I selected all of us that way, but it filled in the form wrongly for my wife and son. I should have noticed it back then, but only spotted the error with my wife's in the conformation within 24 hours.
    I was sure we'd be stung for the £115 name change fee, but Ryan air sorted it once I'd sent them a scan of his passport.

Very, very relieved.
    • gjohnson
    • By gjohnson 2nd Jan 19, 12:56 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    gjohnson
    • 2nd Jan 19, 12:56 PM
    Same Issue With GoToGate
    • 2nd Jan 19, 12:56 PM
    Would love to know the type of system Ryanair use to make their bookings, and if its a generic, off-the-shelf system

I had an identical issue with booking agent GoToGate (a Skyscanner partner) in October, booking Thomas Cook flights to Orlando. Carefully checked the names before booking as we are a party of 6 and wanted to make sure everything was OK. When the confirmation came through, my wife's name had been changed to mine (so there were two of me on the booking, with different DOBs) and my daughters DOB had changed to her sister's.

I noticed immediately, emailed them within half an hour of making the booking, but they still charged over £250 to amend the name on the booking!!! Although, to be balanced, they did amend my daughters DOB for free...

I'm wondering if the system these companies use to process bookings is the same (or based on the same platform), and whether there is indeed a glitch in the software...

A quick search of social media will reveal that this is not an uncommon issue on GoToGate either. The cynic in me thinks it may be a deliberate ploy, as I'm pretty sure they will have made more profit on the £250-ish fees to amend the booking details as they did for all 6 flights...Although that's obviously only my opinion.
    Last edited by gjohnson; 02-01-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 2nd Jan 19, 4:00 PM
    • 11,078 Posts
    • 6,448 Thanks
    CIS
    • 2nd Jan 19, 4:00 PM
    • 2nd Jan 19, 4:00 PM
    Would love to know the type of system Ryanair use to make their bookings, and if its a generic, off-the-shelf system

I had an identical issue with booking agent GoToGate (a Skyscanner partner) in October, booking Thomas Cook flights to Orlando. Carefully checked the names before booking as we are a party of 6 and wanted to make sure everything was OK. When the confirmation came through, my wife's name had been changed to mine (so there were two of me on the booking, with different DOBs) and my daughters DOB had changed to her sister's.

I noticed immediately, emailed them within half an hour of making the booking, but they still charged over £250 to amend the name on the booking!!! Although, to be balanced, they did amend my daughters DOB for free...

I'm wondering if the system these companies use to process bookings is the same (or based on the same platform), and whether there is indeed a glitch in the software...

A quick search of social media will reveal that this is not an uncommon issue on GoToGate either. The cynic in me thinks it may be a deliberate ploy, as I'm pretty sure they will have made more profit on the £250-ish fees to amend the booking details as they did for all 6 flights...Although that's obviously only my opinion.
    Originally posted by gjohnson

Seems to be this software that Ryan Air uses based on the information on the page - https://www.navitaire.com/p_new_skies.aspx

The above software company is owned by Amadeus, a company who provide software for GoToGate.
    Last edited by CIS; 02-01-2019 at 4:05 PM.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • MartyDoherty
    • By MartyDoherty 15th Apr 19, 12:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MartyDoherty
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:10 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:10 PM
    I have just fallen victim to this scam also... my partner and I are spending the Easter weekend in London and just within the hour I checked my itinerary to get my documents ready. Having noticed that my partner's surname was down as the same as mine (which it is not) I found this extremely odd... I have booked flights dozens of times for us both and I know I would not mix up a surname on a flight booking, I am very careful when booking. I had to pay the £115 for the name change and I feel like i've been robbed.

I had a feeling there was something dodgy about this so I performed a Google search and found the Money savings expert article. Just wondering if you guys had any further information to report on this matter... I knew Ryanair were crooks but this is a whole new level. after this weekend I will never book with them again.

I'm absolutely fuming.... has anyone ever been reimbursed with the £115...?

��
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    • 21,742 Posts
    • 23,659 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    I have just fallen victim to this scam also...
    Originally posted by MartyDoherty
    I suspect you've confused 'system error' with 'scam', although they're in the same rough area of the dictionary.
    • steve900
    • By steve900 15th Apr 19, 1:01 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    steve900
    Hi. There is a forum on Tripadvisor and there are posts about the Ryanair issue. Maybe you could have a look there.
    Last edited by steve900; 15-04-2019 at 1:12 PM.
    • Backbiter
    • By Backbiter 16th Apr 19, 11:08 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Backbiter
    Well, that was stressful, but fair play, Ryanair's online chat sorted it free of charge.
    After spotting the problem with my wife's surname (see above), I checked us in last night for our flight tomorrow, and the same thing had happened to one of my sons (there are four of us).
    Three of our boarding passes showed our full surname, but my son's just showed the last of our double-barrelled name (Mogg, not Rees Mogg, for example - no hyphen). The problem seems to be their website at the point of booking, when it shows you a drop down list of previous passengers. I selected all of us that way, but it filled in the form wrongly for my wife and son. I should have noticed it back then, but only spotted the error with my wife's in the conformation within 24 hours.
    I was sure we'd be stung for the £115 name change fee, but Ryan air sorted it once I'd sent them a scan of his passport.

Very, very relieved.
    Originally posted by Backbiter
    This has now happened for a third time. This is not a misspelling, Having had this surname for all of my 57 years, I know my family surname is double barrelled without a hyphen, and I do not carelessly omit the first part of our surname when booking flights. Our surname shows up correctly in their list of past bookings. And yet on three separate occasions several months apart their website has shortened our surname to just the last name. Not for everyone on the booking, just for one passenger.
    I have been onto their online chat, and - despite being initially told it would cost £115 to change the name - I now have it in writing that Ryanair only require the first and last name to match. So Jacob Rees Mogg could fly off to some European destination with a booking in the name of Jacob Mogg and he'll be fine.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 17th Apr 19, 7:03 PM
    • 4,287 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    stoneman
    I suspect you've confused 'system error' with 'scam', although they're in the same rough area of the dictionary.
    Originally posted by zx81
    No, a system error is something that when it happens the other party is most likely to accept it and change free of charge.

RA know this is happening but are refusing to budge. That smells of a scam to me.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,870Posts Today

7,392Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin