Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If there is a second referendum ...

Comments

• Actually 'that leaflet' was not the official government position, it was merely a pamphlet designed to offer up some broad brush stroke information.
    :rotfl: What bull! :rotfl:
    What was the title of the leaflet?
    Why the Government believes that voting to remain in the European Union is the best decision for the UK
    "Broad brush stroke information" my deriere.
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    :rotfl: What bull! :rotfl:
    What was the title of the leaflet?
    Why the Government believes that voting to remain in the European Union is the best decision for the UK
    "Broad brush stroke information" my deriere.

The subtext to Hamish's comment is clear.

Only 'intelligent/educated' people will read the white paper, and therefore only 'intelligent/educated' people should be allowed to decide on these matters.

It's not an uncommon view. You get a similar sneering attitude from the likes of James O Brien (LBC), when he continually derides gammons.

I'm convinced the division will only continue right up to the A50 deadline.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    kabayiri wrote: »
    I'm convinced the division will only continue right up to the A50 deadline.
    Only?

You have to be joking, right?

I'm 52. I won't be alive when this is settled.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kabayiri
    kingstreet wrote: »
    Only?

You have to be joking, right?

I'm 52. I won't be alive when this is settled.

Point accepted.

I was thinking about it from a political context. It's entirely possible that PM May might be using this to flush out the positions of her opponents even more.

Personally speaking, we had divided votes here at home. It didn't lead to any animosity or walk outs. You get on with life.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I suspect formal education has a part in this as well, one of the things we covered repeatedly at higher education levels was verifying sources, critical analysis, etc. It's potentially the only useful part of a university education these days.
    That exposure would likely never happened with someone who left school at 14 and didn't go near academia, because there'd never need to.

Similar will happen in terms of technological awareness - younger folk who grew up with the internet presumably have much more awareness of how much garbage is on there.

I can see where you are coming from but as someone who went to university in the days when computers were mainframes the idea that it those days people were not told to verify and assess the reliability of their sources is flawed. I grant you that these days there are far more questionable and unreliable sources.

I also agree that anyone who did not receive higher education is less likely to verify sources, although in my experience many young people who have had the benefit of a university education have not learned the lesson that you have.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Isn’t there a point about young people being idealistic? Which is easy when you have no real stake in society.

Older people are shaped by their experiences especially if they are big things like for example the Second World War.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Older people are shaped by their experiences especially if they are big things like for example the Second World War.

As the older people in our family have said - two world wars were fought to make sure that Britain wasn't an outlying island on the edge of a Europe dominated by Germany - now we've voted to put ourselves in exactly that position - they are horrified at the choice the country has made.
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Mojisola wrote: »
    As the older people in our family have said - two world wars were fought to make sure that Britain wasn't an outlying island on the edge of a Europe dominated by Germany - now we've voted to put ourselves in exactly that position - they are horrified at the choice the country has made.

Agreed. The best way of stopping one state having too much power on the European continent is to participate in the decision making political structures that have most influence. Opting out is a huge strategic error on our part!
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »

Indeed. I wonder how the generation that fought in the war voted? My father in law who died recently was very passionate for remain precisely for this reason. I guess the stats available don't break the age vote down enough to analyse it this closely.
  • kabayiri
    The EU is no guarantee of peace within Europe.

Tensions are rising between the likes of Hungary and the EU core.

It only takes one of the areas of disagreement to flare up, to light the touch paper.

The EU policy of fining dissident states does not win friends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure