Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TT378_20
    • By TT378_20 5th Dec 18, 10:33 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TT378_20
    Euro Car Park PCN - worth fighting?
    • 5th Dec 18, 10:33 AM
    Euro Car Park PCN - worth fighting? 5th Dec 18 at 10:33 AM
    Hi,

Received a NTK letter from Euro Car Parks which I intended to not pay by following the advice in the newbies thread.

The PCN occurred when a car park we used frequently had a pay machine which they have now removed and parking is for pub customers only. We did not realise this and just assumed they had scrapped the parking charges. Ignorance is no excuse so they will say I'm clearly in the wrong no matter how harsh I think the 85 PCN is.

I checked them out on the BPA site and it says they don't use debt recovery and all the posts on here say they will never take court action.

My question is, is it really worth all the hassle of appealing to them, then to POPLA when I don't really have a case as such. Losing these appeals, getting more letters etc etc

I really don't want to pay these scammers but is it worth all the hassle and is it 99% guaranteed that they wont take me to court in the long run ?

Finally, if they don't ever take court action what is the point of going through all the appeals etc?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Page 1
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th Dec 18, 11:25 AM
    • 12,438 Posts
    • 12,577 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 5th Dec 18, 11:25 AM
    • 5th Dec 18, 11:25 AM
    Almost every PCN is worth fighting due to the fact that almost every PCN is issued by a scammer.

The only way that they cab get a penny is if they take you to court, (County Court), for breach of contract, and win. However, they have so many legal hoops to jump through they usually fail against a well crafted defence.

It is the will of Parliament that these scammers be put out of business. Hopefully that will take place in the near future. The Bill has passed through the HOC without hitch, and goes to the Lords soon. In the meantime involve your MP, the poor dears are buckling under the weight of complaints about these scammers. Read this one which I wrote earlier

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Third Reading in late November, and, with a fair wind, will become Law next year.

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers. usually l y fail
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 5th Dec 18, 3:05 PM
    • 3,488 Posts
    • 5,379 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 5th Dec 18, 3:05 PM
    • 5th Dec 18, 3:05 PM
    Hi,

Received a NTK letter from Euro Car Parks which I intended to not pay by following the advice in the newbies thread.

The PCN occurred when a car park we used frequently had a pay machine which they have now removed and parking is for pub customers only. We did not realise this and just assumed they had scrapped the parking charges. Ignorance is no excuse so they will say I'm clearly in the wrong no matter how harsh I think the 85 PCN is.

I checked them out on the BPA site and it says they don't use debt recovery and all the posts on here say they will never take court action.

My question is, is it really worth all the hassle of appealing to them, then to POPLA when I don't really have a case as such. Losing these appeals, getting more letters etc etc

I really don't want to pay these scammers but is it worth all the hassle and is it 99% guaranteed that they wont take me to court in the long run ?

Finally, if they don't ever take court action what is the point of going through all the appeals etc?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    Originally posted by TT378_20

Why have you started another thread?

You were told what to do in your original thread, it gets very confusing when you keep starting new threads!

As for the question about court action, you want it killed off now. They have up to six years to decide on court action and they may like some others change tack and start court claims by the bucket full!
    • John Blaze
    • By John Blaze 13th Jan 19, 12:49 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    John Blaze
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:49 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:49 PM
    so glad i sold my car
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

930Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Follow Martin