Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 30th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    • 27,218Posts
    • 325,371Thanks
    davemorton
    Elite: Is this table taken please?
    • 30th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    Elite: Is this table taken please? 30th Nov 18 at 11:43 AM
    Just looking for a spare quiet table in the corner of the arms for a few exiled elite to chat, is this table free please?
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
Page 463
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 14th Jun 19, 11:03 PM
    • 21,522 Posts
    • 270,335 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Just to push this off to another day, they won't have much on at Glastonbury now I feel. I feel - negatively in fact. Any negativity at all, which causes nothing to happen despite precise negativity supposedly giving decisive action because it came from somewhere important before whilst all other negativity is ignored.

When it suits.
    Only if the media might affect your bottom line.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 14th Jun 19, 11:14 PM
    • 21,522 Posts
    • 270,335 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    The other cliche I seem to be hearing a lot these days is "Safety is our number 1 priority". Boeing have said - Whirlpool said it (over the recall of tumble dryers, years after asking how to limit it to being a repair service) - local Councils have said it over defective fire doors that have yet to be replaced - private sector organisations have said it too. Fairground organisers probably often say it after someone has been seriously injured or, thankfully rarely, killed and don't need to provide evidence that they have ever been concerned about safety at all, despite the fact of one whistleblowing case where an individual manager at a company cleared a ride as safe when it was not: https://protect-advice.org.uk/involving-a-regulator/ The fears are, in the amusement ride case, you will get dismissed if you speak up and tell the employer it is not safe.

Returning to the generalities. "Safety is our number 1 priority" is something claimed as a general statement, and not as if you can present lots of evidence to disapprove it. It is just stated, that it is the organisation's number 1 priority, with nothing more required to support it. Some may say the actions speak louder than words and others might think the actions contradict or at least put into question whether the number 1 priority really is safety. However, organisations may just claim it and it seems may not require anything more from them than that statement. It won't do. It is repetitively put out by having a different organisation do so in turn without it being anything other than a statement or claim that we can't say is untrue. However, whether or not it is true, I do not believe it because it seems to be becoming an automatic 'go-to' sentence without more being required: you can just assert that it is your number 1 priority and leave us to trust you because there's no way of us questioning it.

As a statement "Safety is our number 1 priority" and then whatever else they say that neither supports nor does not support that statement, it is just a sentence in a statement that may often be left by itself. As an assertion that it is your number 1 priority, I need to have evidence presented to me first to show that it is true. I am not alleging that it is false. I just need evidence to show it is true and I have not seen anything more in the statements yet that provides me with any evidence. That doesn't mean evidence doesn't exist: merely that I haven't seen it, and I may be blind when I read these statements for I know. It does seem to me just a 'go-to' statement, of no real meaning, an assertion, a claim and never yet do they need to substantiate anything as we can't challenge it.

No organisation is going to admit that it is not their no 1 priority. However there is nothing requiring it to be stated that it is and, when nowhere seems to present anything more than the claim itself, it's just too easy as organisations can make public relations statements and never be called to account for them or have to provide anything to the outside world to prove that what they are claiming is true. Again, I am not saying that it is not. The onus is on those making a claim, yet it seems not to be because the public just accepts it and allows this behaviour.

https://safetyrisk.net/safety-not-the-number-one-priority/
    "If safety was to truly be the number one priority, by definition that would mean that we would be putting a disproportionate amount of resources into safety at the expense of something else and that may put the success of the business at risk."

We may wonder. I don't say it is not.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 14-06-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Jun 19, 5:57 AM
    • 18,613 Posts
    • 39,887 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Morning All
    Weekly Distance Walked 28km / Total For Year 1191 km

Quod scripsi, scripsi
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 15th Jun 19, 6:02 AM
    • 10,786 Posts
    • 120,357 Thanks
    emerald21
    Good Morninggggg 😀
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 19, 7:01 AM
    • 33,867 Posts
    • 445,923 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning

Had bro sleeping last night

He arrived around 7-45pm after work and left around 5am'ish for work.
    Poppy woke me to tell me she could hear noises lol .
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 19, 7:04 AM
    • 33,867 Posts
    • 445,923 Thanks
    tweets
    Snap-ant was yesterday's smartest player!
    21 players played

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Saturday): Animals
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 15th Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    • 21,887 Posts
    • 221,374 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Good morning all, actually quite sunny here but with a few threatening clouds.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Jun 19, 8:55 AM
    • 56,566 Posts
    • 647,543 Thanks
    bubbs
    Morning all
    tweets is your brother ok?
    Enterprise, nice here too, will be putting washing out in a while
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 1 1/2lb
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 15th Jun 19, 8:58 AM
    • 21,887 Posts
    • 221,374 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    I was going to do the washing, but forgot to put it on last night and woke up a bit on the late side this morning. By the time I thought about it it would have been 11:00 before I could get the first load out, 13:30 before the second, and rain is forecast this afternoon. We are out tomorrow so it will have to be Monday.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Jun 19, 9:00 AM
    • 56,566 Posts
    • 647,543 Thanks
    bubbs
    Saying that a nice BIG black cloud has just appeared if it rains i will stick on airier it will be dry by the morning
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 1 1/2lb
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 15th Jun 19, 9:59 AM
    • 16,790 Posts
    • 198,625 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Morning

• tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 19, 3:02 PM
    • 33,867 Posts
    • 445,923 Thanks
    tweets
    Morning all
    tweets is your brother ok?
    Enterprise, nice here too, will be putting washing out in a while
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Bro rang me earlier thanking me for putting him up

It was whit Friday yesterday and local band contests near him and on way home .

Bro said it would take him ages if at all to get him and car home so asked if he could come here after work I said yes.

Don't ask how he got home the last 20 + years
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 19, 3:03 PM
    • 33,867 Posts
    • 445,923 Thanks
    tweets
    Keeps raining here so my washing is on maiden cant go in dryer I did that yesterday when I got home from work
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 15th Jun 19, 3:37 PM
    • 21,887 Posts
    • 221,374 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Well, I've decided to leave my washing for Monday, should be OK weather wise.

We are off to a relatively local air show tomorrow, keeping fingers crossed for the weather lol.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 19, 8:39 PM
    • 33,867 Posts
    • 445,923 Thanks
    tweets
    Goodnight see you all tomorrow
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 15th Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 39,511 Thanks
    curl girl
    Night tweets.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    • 18,613 Posts
    • 39,887 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Goodnight all
    Weekly Distance Walked 28km / Total For Year 1191 km

Quod scripsi, scripsi
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 15th Jun 19, 10:46 PM
    • 21,522 Posts
    • 270,335 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Good morning all, actually quite sunny here but with a few threatening clouds.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    I know - you must have got that and then I got it later. Reason for the frown is today, according to the forecast (which surely by now I should have known I could not trust?), it was supposed to be the 'write-off' day as far as putting washing out was concerned. Tomorrow was supposed to be the better day.

It turned out that, although it was largely cloudy and grey, there wasn't much rain for me today - at least I did not hear any - and, by the end of the day, we even had an hour of bright sunshine in the evening. In other words, had I done and put out the clothes, they would probably have dried and if not the sun at the end would have finished them completely. They could have gone over to another day if the jeans were refusing to dry quickly.

As it is, I now have Sunday which looks a worse day and then Monday is now the write-off. Hopeless. So I am doing the clothes now - so they are off for first light - but minus the jeans and trousers as they may not have enough time to dry. I am expecting about five hours in the morning. That's if the rain doesn't come sooner. One forecast has the cloud but no rain hanging on until 3 or 4pm (which is enough and even 15 degrees C is alright). I think I will be pulling the clothes in for lunchtime and then, as I have supposedly 40% chance of rain through much of the afternoon, I will have them out for 3 out of 5 hours - the other two where the rain is. Tomorrow is up to 25% chance of rain as well through parts of the day, a bit higher than I usually put clothes out for and usually means it is certain to rain at some point (so should be 0% during the few hours it doesn't and 100% during the time it is certain to do so!). However I am hoping that the clothes will dry even though pulling them in when the rain is here and then putting them out again. They might get four hours one side, then some rain and then another two hours, some rain and another two hours and maybe that will be enough - or can go over to Monday if necessary (pulling them in and out again) if they don't manage to dry or if it starts raining much of the day.

I wasn't in fact too bothered by the rain we have had at the start of this wet spell. I was prepared for it so expected it would just rain constantly for two or three days. It wasn't completely even like that though - we did have some periods of no rain. However, having had all these wet days, I do need some day when I can put some clothes out, although, for now, the jeans and trousers aren't being attempted - I think it might be Thursday by time there is anything good. I know Tuesday is supposed to be the one day of good weather, but we don't have a couple of days in a row which I might need if they don't dry on the first - but on Tuesday the rain chance even there is higher than it normally is - so I am trying tomorrow as hopefully a better day for me than Tuesday, even if Tuesday is generally better for people across the country. I think my area will the odd one out again and tomorrow might be the better day for me. I hope so anyway, though it won't be a day of being able to put out the washing and leave it - in short, I shall be watching the rain (nearly) 'live' radar throughout the day and pulling the clothes in at the sign of wet weather.

I think if I'd have started the clothes to put them out early today, they would have been dry and the jeans would have dried in tomorrow morning but, as it is now, I am not trying the jeans (we can manage - we have three further jeans available before we have worn all of them and then really have to have some washed) and it may even be touch and go as to whether there is enough time of dry weather tomorrow to dry the rest I am now putting out. I should have ignored suggestions that Sunday was an alright day and that today would be a wash-out as I think Sunday may now turn out to be worse than today has been - my area does not always follow the national picture but sometimes slips in between areas of rain that everyone else is getting earlier today. Just hope I slip in again tomorrow, but I suspect not - I suspect the rain will take a direct hit before midday.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 15-06-2019 at 10:51 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 15th Jun 19, 10:58 PM
    • 21,522 Posts
    • 270,335 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Well, I've decided to leave my washing for Monday, should be OK weather wise.

We are off to a relatively local air show tomorrow, keeping fingers crossed for the weather lol.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Depends where you are. I think Monday and Wednesday are supposed to be the wet days for me, with just a single day of Tuesday if I am lucky. Having said that, reason I am now trying tomorrow is that hopefully Monday will not be wet all day even if it may be wet most of the day later on so would give some hours to wet any carry-over clothes. Which I hope I will not have, as I suspect the jeans (which I am not doing this time) would have been carry-overs as they didn't dry as early as everything else last time. At least we are - hopefully - helped by the longer days at this time of year, so only really need to find 6-8 hours of dryness within 15 hours of daylight. In theory, 50% chances of rain should therefore be okay as that should mean (but it doesn't) that I can have my clothes out on half of the hours of the daylight (and thus get 6-8 hours when the clothes are out drying).

Whilst it looks like brightening up towards the end of the next week, the week after (into the end of June) doesn't look great to me as even there there are sunshine and showers days in a row. It is autumnal June not summer this year.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 15-06-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 15th Jun 19, 11:02 PM
    • 21,522 Posts
    • 270,335 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Well, "tomorrow" is now here, or rather it is now moved on to Monday. Hopefully my clothes today are therefore going to dry as tomorrow looks to be worse for me.
    There I am - I was saying a few moments ago my clothes were being done for tomorrow, now they are being done for today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

2,191Users online

Martin's Twitter