Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 30th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    • 27,171Posts
    • 325,333Thanks
    davemorton
    Elite: Is this table taken please?
    • 30th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    Elite: Is this table taken please? 30th Nov 18 at 11:43 AM
    Just looking for a spare quiet table in the corner of the arms for a few exiled elite to chat, is this table free please?
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
Page 411
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 16th May 19, 6:29 AM
    • 934 Posts
    • 3,570 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Good morning all. Lovely morning here in Gloucestershire. Just a bit of paid gardening to do today - so I'll get that done nice and early.

Have a good day.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 16th May 19, 6:57 AM
    • 32,615 Posts
    • 443,251 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning

Sunny again suppose to be cooler hope so lol
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 16th May 19, 6:59 AM
    • 32,615 Posts
    • 443,251 Thanks
    tweets
    ms-money-penny was yesterday's smartest player!

20 players played

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Thursday): General Knowledge 5 : Difficult
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 16th May 19, 7:08 AM
    • 21,332 Posts
    • 219,812 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Good morning all. lovely sunny day so far

We have a lovely time outside in the middle of nowhere yesterday, OK so we were sorting out some overhead cable, but it is a place I would choose to be

Unfortunately this morning's work is inside.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 16th May 19, 7:22 AM
    • 16,822 Posts
    • 35,621 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Good morning all. Lovely morning here in Gloucestershire. Just a bit of paid gardening to do today - so I'll get that done nice and early.

Have a good day.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    Morning All,

I'd pay you to do mine Fruittea if you weren't so far away!
    Weekly Distance Walked 24 km / Total For Year 599 km
    Anything posted here falls under The Official Secret Eater's Act
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 16th May 19, 7:30 AM
    • 934 Posts
    • 3,570 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Morning All,

I'd pay you to do mine Fruittea if you weren't so far away!
    Originally posted by Sleazy

Morning Sleazy
    I only work in two hour sessions. I grow most of the plants myself. This morning I'll be planting up a veg garden - it's a pleasure. I've done all the infrastructure like bean poles etc. So this morning is just putting the plants in. Beans, peas, salad - I love doing it and the people aren't there so it's lovely and quiet.

Enjoy your breakfast.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 16th May 19, 7:55 AM
    • 16,822 Posts
    • 35,621 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I'm not much of a gardener Fruittea.
    Cut the grass and trim the greenery is about my limit.
    Mrs Sleazy will struggle when I'm not here, she'll need to get a gardener. Do you have a big garden of your own? I know you said you got chickens .. when I was small, my grandma used to keep chickens with her hubby (he wasn't my grandpa). They had a huge garden and he grew absolutely everything! Used to go and stay sometimes, I was one of her favourites because I behaved, but she wasn't keen on my sisters.

Poor grandma, I haven't thought about her for ages. She lived about 7 miles out of town and I used to cycle to see her. My mum is 92, not sure how old she would have been now ....
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th May 19, 8:01 AM
    • 38,989 Posts
    • 162,518 Thanks
    silvercar
    I was bottom of the quiz yesterday, at least the only way is up!

---

Check clubcard vouchers for any expiring at the end of May.
    • Missli
    • By Missli 16th May 19, 8:08 AM
    • 7,159 Posts
    • 16,853 Thanks
    Missli
    Good morning Elite thread. Sun is shining, I hope you all have a very good day today
    Started at 11.5 stone 11th May 2019
    17/5 11.3!
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 16th May 19, 11:07 AM
    • 20,877 Posts
    • 268,914 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Good morning!

I know people won't like me posting this but I now find that even I had an unclear view before literally a few minutes ago and hadn't thought about this properly and therefore I have to correct myself.

[…] So they could have set up new EU bodies and joined them if that was going to happen anyway or left ones that they decided were no longer to exist (although not abolish the EU entirely) and for any that were no longer to exist, in total, not to undermine the whole concept of having an EU but just the usual level of abolition and creation that might from time to time occur as 'business as normal' as had previously been going on and that would still have been "remain" according to me. That's what I meant.

[…]
    Originally posted by Savvybuyer
    I have now added the part in bold as I wasn't clear about that before so I had not thought fully about what I meant at all. The amended version is now what I meant. That's what I would have clarified at the time (2016 polling station attendance) if anyone had asked me. In fact I have added even more in the process of writing this post.

I notice Thomas Cook are in the news today as they've made losses. It's clear that we should have been going on holiday over the last few months as any firms making losses are, it seems to me, the ones where we would have saved money and those making profits are clearly doing something right that means we should have stayed away during that period. (I remember Tesco, several years ago, was having a bad time. Then they started to turn the business around and made profits. Looking back at it, I felt the time they were losing money was the time when the best offers were on and that, ever since they've been having a better time, the offers in general have been no good for me.) The trouble for me is that, by the time we find out about the losses, and the profit/losses announcement is made, it's about what we should have been doing and they may be turning around and not be any good for us now. I also find share prices speak volumes to me these days. The oil companies have been having share prices increasing, thereby showing how bad fuel prices are for us now. It also seems in precise proportion to how much shares rise or fall, and very scientific. It's quite bad, worked out by how much the share prices have risen but not completely bad as if the prices have risen a lot more. To me, the level of badness is not however as much as the goodness for consumers that I identified in the blocking of the Asda-Sainsbury's merger: the decision to block that was absolutely really a good decision of all as shown by how much Sainsbury's share prices fell - the initial decision was hugely good for us and the final decision, confirming that, was then a bit more bad for Sainsbury's but not as much as the original and good for us in precise proportion to a further drop in the share price. If it's neither really good nor bad, it's shown, I think, in the share prices remaining relatively stable. So, from my looking at it, you can identify how good/bad from share prices - the places where we should be going for moneysaving are the ones where shares fall hugely, as long as they don't cause the business to fail altogether in the event that we need to return anything.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 16-05-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 16th May 19, 11:22 AM
    • 20,877 Posts
    • 268,914 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    In fact, we might well get some summer holiday bargains. I note the news now further says there's doubt expressed by some that Thomas Cook can remain as a going concern and that people are apparently putting off holidays "because of [the B word]". If fewer people (that's fewer not less) are going, this may well be the time to go - I feel it may well mean some bargains. It may also mean less-crowded planes and accommodation, so another good thing from my POV there as well (the fewer people to get through the gates, surely the quicker we can get through them).
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 16-05-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 16th May 19, 12:46 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 3,570 Thanks
    Fruittea
    I'm not much of a gardener Fruittea.
    Cut the grass and trim the greenery is about my limit.
    Mrs Sleazy will struggle when I'm not here, she'll need to get a gardener. Do you have a big garden of your own? I know you said you got chickens .. when I was small, my grandma used to keep chickens with her hubby (he wasn't my grandpa). They had a huge garden and he grew absolutely everything! Used to go and stay sometimes, I was one of her favourites because I behaved, but she wasn't keen on my sisters.

Poor grandma, I haven't thought about her for ages. She lived about 7 miles out of town and I used to cycle to see her. My mum is 92, not sure how old she would have been now ....

Back home now and reading back. My garden is very small but it's on the river bank and opposite we have fields and a lovely view - so it feels as though the garden is huge.

I'm just in the process of re-modelling the back garden as I used to grow veg in it. So going over to flowers now. I've had an allotment for 10 years and this year I have a second half plot just in the next village. So I'm pretty self-sufficient in veg and English fruit.

Funny how gardens bring back memories. I lived in London as a kid (flat with no garden) but my granddad used to garden - I can always remember shelling peas with him.

Your Mums a good age - nice you are near her. I lost my Mum last year - she lived over in Essex and I couldn't get over there as much as I would have liked. I'm off to Essex for a holiday in June. Mersea Island - might seem like a strange place to take a holiday but I get to the family.

Off to do some of my gardening now. Have a great afternoon.
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 16th May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 10,720 Posts
    • 120,279 Thanks
    emerald21
    Good Afternoon ��
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 16th May 19, 1:44 PM
    • 20,877 Posts
    • 268,914 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    […] so "good morning", you don't need to say whether morning runs from midnight to near midday or whether midnight to whatever is sunrise where you are is still overnight and therefore, as over"night" is night not morning, with morning starting only at daylight, or sunrise - good morning is […]
    Originally posted by Savvybuyer
    Of course, there hasn't been any night in Glasgow since 5th May, and won't be any night in London after 23rd May until night comes back again there (presumably it is measured at the centre of London or at Greenwich?) at 00.47hrs BST on 22nd July.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 16th May 19, 2:15 PM
    • 16,822 Posts
    • 35,621 Thanks
    Sleazy
    It was interesting to read about night on Wikipedia. Well I found it interesting, which is not to say others will! What may interest one person might not interest another, in fact they could find it boring. Here it is anyway:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night#/editor/0

I hope that some light has been shed on the subject!

I believe that I now understand the difference between "night" and "astronomical night". With this understanding in mind, I may still wish my cat "goodnight" in the evening because although it may not be within a period of complete darkness it is still "night". My cat will not likely know the difference, although my wife (who is not really "mine", but merely married to me ) might know. Actually, my cat is not really "mine" either as Mrs Sleazy is the registered keeper of the cat and the cat itself is a free mammal who could leave at any time should they have this wish. However, were I the registered keeper of the cat, it would automatically become hers!

Apparently, "What's hers is hers, and what's mine is hers"

How unfair, and on this unfair note I shall venture forth to save Mrs Sleazy from the ravages of the school where she is incarcerated for over 8 hours per day.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 16th May 19, 3:02 PM
    • 20,877 Posts
    • 268,914 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    I mean how can you?

https://www.scotsman.com/news/bbc-presenter-rachel-burden-apologises-after-f-bomb-live-on-air-1-4928166

Mess ups, lady, mess ups.
    Amazingly the discussion continues "with the presenters apparently unaware", a situation that seems completely unfathomable to me as to how such a thing could ever happen. How can anyone be unaware?!? If you say something, and don't have the form of Tourette's that a small minority (perhaps 1%) of Tourette's people have, it is an active thing of deciding to say it so it cannot possibly be done without full knowledge of what you are doing and therefore I don't know how it can be done. Except that people generally are apparently able to do things without realising they are doing them, and, if you are told not to swear, psychologically you will then be more likely to do so because it will then be on your mind as having to make an active attempt to try not to do it. So if they, as they did after several swearing instances over the years, post notices in singers' dressing rooms telling them not to swear before they go onto TV or radio performances in an effort to stop them doing so, I think it is doomed to fail even more because, even assuming the singers pay any attention to the notices, it will then be on their mind. However, much more likely indeed it seems to me, unless they have autism, the singers will most probably fail to notice there are any notices. If they do notice them despite that, they seem very unlikely to me to comply with any rules that might be in them because most people do not comply with rules on notices or signs. Instead they just continue their normal lives regardless and most people don't usually cause others problems in any event.

As for myself, I just went to that page to see what, in the words that came to my own mind, "Rachel effing Burden" had said, except that it wasn't the word "effing" in my mind. Too much bloody swearing on the radio these days. They need to watch their asses to see they don't do it.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 16-05-2019 at 3:08 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 16th May 19, 3:13 PM
    • 20,877 Posts
    • 268,914 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    My experience with the broadcast on Radio 1 some years ago now, that involved Lily Allen - I am sure caused the ruling to put up notices in dressing notices because I remember things like this - which was found to be "offensive" was that I was just outside a supermarket wheeling my trolley back to my car. A taxi door went and opened, right at the moment at which she used the F-word derivative, which I clearly heard as the radio station was on in the taxi, causing me to laugh and then to walk round the other side of the trolley park. So it wasn't offensive to me with the taxi door opening just at the correct time to enable me to hear the radio.

A Lily Allen song, the same one each time, did get me three times though on each of which it caused me offence in public place (the uncensored version in my home, in which she says it in a 'cheeky' way, made me laugh - but censored version takes all that away and for me the signature remaining instead removes the impact such that it does not make me laugh whilst managing instead to be offensive very uncomfortable, because of the way it comes across as offensive, when across a public place).

There was also a further Lily Allen song that managed to cause me offence on an occasion when it was in a public place for me some years ago. The sequence of events on this one appears to be as following:

The broadcaster played a slightly edited version which it seems I happened to hear in the public place but didn't notice the edited part was that and no problem arose for it to me. (I think that may have happened because perhaps it was slightly edited, sounded closer to the word itself but the word or the very slightly different sound it was altered into was used indistinctly in the soundtrack and therefore I misheard it as something else. Or at indistinctly in the soundtrack in my hearing and when in a context in which it was heard at the same time as sounds of moving equipment around me and anything else in the environment were also heard.)

A viewer - it was actually on the television - complained to Ofcom about something else in the song.

Ofcom did not uphold the viewer's complaint but its staff noticed that the word was ineffectively edited so got the broadcaster to re-edit the soundtrack more.

The broadcaster then played their re-edited version on another occasion.

I happened to be in the public place again on that further occasion, hear the song, noticed the word and meaning, was caused a lot of discomfort because of the material meaning the word and the clear explicit meaning (used in literal sense and what the song was going on about), found it inappropriate to the particular place, was caused to have to silently abandon my activities there as a result and to leave the venue early and in some upset. With my completeness as usual, I complained to the venue, station and Ofcom.

Ofcom then published its adjudication on the earlier version the other viewer had complained about and I happened to read it some time later.

It seems no-one had complained about the part that Ofcom got changed. The change that it caused to be made then made the song offensive (when played in a place in which it was later played), and there is evidence of offence being caused by it since it was caused to me. Ofcom may have resolved my complaint informally - I never got any details as to what happened on it. It may for all I know have now been found compliant with the broadcasting regulations despite the fact it was now problematic and caused offence to me and was therefore offensive because, by definition, that means it caused offence to anyone at all at any time even if only to a single individual on one occasion anywhere in the entire world. Something that manages to cause offence is, by definition, offensive.

So, four occasions of being caused offence by edited/altered versions of Lily Allen material, none of which gave any formal ruling, and one occasion on which Lily Allen broadcasting got a formal publication and was called offensive (which it was as it caused anyone anywhere offence) on which it caused me no offence and made me laugh instead (and was therefore also, by definition, amusing since it caused anyone anywhere to laugh).

It's counter-intuitive, not what I would have expected would or would not cause me offence, and about actual effect and what happened in fact rather than what might be thought to do so or what actually did anything regarding anyone else.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 16-05-2019 at 3:46 PM.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 16th May 19, 3:17 PM
    • 55,214 Posts
    • 641,543 Thanks
    bubbs
    Afternoon all
    My Mum& Dad have a big garden , Dad used to grow everything, we are a big family so was needed in the 70's, 2 greenhouses as well, now he is in his 80's had most of it lawned but still grows a bit.
    We used to sit on the back step shelling peas and broad beans I hate broad beans though they stink
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 7lb
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 16th May 19, 3:51 PM
    • 20,877 Posts
    • 268,914 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    It was interesting to read about night on Wikipedia. Well I found it interesting, which is not to say others will! What may interest one person might not interest another, in fact they could find it boring. Here it is anyway:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night#/editor/0

I hope that some light has been shed on the subject!

I believe that I now understand the difference between "night" and "astronomical night". With this understanding in mind, I may still wish my cat "goodnight" in the evening because although it may not be within a period of complete darkness it is still "night". My cat will not likely know the difference, although my wife (who is not really "mine", but merely married to me ) might know. Actually, my cat is not really "mine" either as Mrs Sleazy is the registered keeper of the cat and the cat itself is a free mammal who could leave at any time should they have this wish. However, were I the registered keeper of the cat, it would automatically become hers!

Apparently, "What's hers is hers, and what's mine is hers"

How unfair, and on this unfair note I shall venture forth to save Mrs Sleazy from the ravages of the school where she is incarcerated for over 8 hours per day.
    You're waffling. (And, for clarity, I mean not even in the entire post but merely through or by the time of that one sentence highlighted.)

Shall we call it both interesting and boring, since it is both? It is everything that it manages to be to every individual that ever sees, hears, experiences etc. it at any time collectively added together.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 16-05-2019 at 3:53 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 16th May 19, 4:01 PM
    • 20,877 Posts
    • 268,914 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Afternoon all
    My Mum& Dad have a big garden , Dad used to grow everything, we are a big family so was needed in the 70's, 2 greenhouses as well, now he is in his 80's had most of it lawned but still grows a bit.
    We used to sit on the back step shelling peas and broad beans I hate broad beans though they stink
    Originally posted by bubbs
    I never really noticed the smell - which may be surprising as someone like myself might be expected to notice such a thing even more. I bet it is because you were shelling them afresh rather than their being mine that are supermarket-bought. They do have a smell, although I guess I don't go round sniffing them closely so I've never really noticed it and whatever smell various specimens of them have doesn't waft its way throughout an entire area, such as my kitchen, for me. It is probably guaranteed that, as a result of reading your post, I will start noticing their smell more now, at least for some time. Stinky fish is what gets me - and even more so my father. Kippers mainly, but cod (and chips) also does so. Mentioning stinky fish now reminds me of Liam Gallagher on-stage for some reason.

Advisory on this (highly funny if you are in the right place or with the right people at the right time and if you find things like this funny) - seems potentially completely safe for work for me whilst it is a thing that has been labelled "safe for work" that managed to make me uncomfortable whilst at my old workplace*:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeNWmVMpvj8

*Actually true, I had something on radio once and was uncomfortable at a particular moment when it was with a young female colleague. Many years later, I saw the same version of that song as had made me on that one occasion on which it happened to be played at work uncomfortable, marked as the "safe for work version". Er… actually not safe for work then. (It's nothing to do with personal opinion: it's about what actually has managed to happen, regardless of whether it should have happened or whether I should have felt or feel that way at all and, of course, I think bearing in mind that I am now, many years later, aware that as an autistic person I perceive most things in a non-typical way.) I've had no evidence of things that were not safe for work causing me any problem at work (those that they sometimes mark as not safe for work) - generally because they have never been in work, so I have therefore never experienced them there - one thing that might be labelled as "not safe for work" proved to be no problem for me (and apparently none for anyone else either) but only when someone at work once happened to play a short extract from it, people actually laughed, including myself, though I am not sure about the Liam Gallagher video, it will depend on who happens to be there at the time and any circumstances in which it was played as to whether it would or would not actually give me any difficulty e.g. management there or whole room with everyone, potentially a problem, but it depends, small group of lads there with me in a small room, I don't think any problem.

So, there we have it: one piece of material labelled "Not safe for work" proved to be safe for work for me, whilst one song labelled "Safe for work" proved to be unsafe (to the extent that I presume something that makes someone uncomfortable therefore isn't "safe").

Fish-throwing is not condoned.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 16-05-2019 at 4:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,831Posts Today

6,571Users online

Martin's Twitter