Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 30th Nov 18, 11:46 AM
    • 1,195Posts
    • 7,941Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2018
    • 30th Nov 18, 11:46 AM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2018 30th Nov 18 at 11:46 AM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to er, me, sstevo19 for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let's make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars can ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for February 2018 and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    June 2017
    July 2017
    August 2017
    September 2017
    October 2017
    November 2017
    December 2017
    January 2018
    February 2018
    March 2018
    April 2018
    May 2018
    June 2018
    July 2018
    August 2018
    September 2018
    October 2018
    November 2018
Page 1
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 30th Nov 18, 4:11 PM
    • 4,908 Posts
    • 45,269 Thanks
    dolly84
    • 30th Nov 18, 4:11 PM
    • 30th Nov 18, 4:11 PM
    Thanks for the new thread sstevo.

Heres my December PP list

Burts Bees Almond Milk Hand Cream - carried over again
    L'oreal Ever Riche Shampoo - carried over
    Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Amethyst - carried over
    Benefit single pink champagne eyeshadow - carried over
    Hawaiian Tropic Lime Coolada Body Butter
    Superdrug B Hydrating Eye Cream
    Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation
    Philosophy Pumpkin Pie Shower Gel 480ml

There never seems a good time of day to use the Burts Bees hand cream - it is sooo greasy.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 30th Nov 18, 4:13 PM
    • 4,908 Posts
    • 45,269 Thanks
    dolly84
    • 30th Nov 18, 4:13 PM
    • 30th Nov 18, 4:13 PM
    My other lists:

I have decided on my 'Finish 7 by Spring' items.

1. Benefit single eyeshadow in champagne pink colour

2. Laura Mercier Caviar Stick mini in Amethyst
    3. Max Factor All Day Flawless foundation
    4. Clinique High Impact Mascara
    5. Guerlian Mascara mini
    6. No17 Eye Brow Pencil
    7. Rimmel Colour Boost Lip Crayon - Keep Mauvin
    Finish 7 by Christmas

1. Max Factor All Day Flawless Foundation
    2. Bourjois Colour Boost Lip Crayon in Plum Russian
    3. Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer
    4. Laura Mercier Brown Eyeliner
    5. Soap & Glory Cheekmate
    6. Revlon Photo Finish Powder (dropped and shattered but was almost done anyway).
    7. Soap & Glory Archery Brow Pencil

Will not need to buy in 2018

Shower gel - have bought 3 small ones in a CS set
    Body moisturiser
    Hair conditioner/hair masks - have bought one mini in a CS
    Night cream - all the oils/balms I had were breaking me out so I bought one which matches the day cream I bought.
    Foot cream
    Nail polish
    Hair serum/oil
    Makeup of any sort - did buy two Elf Matte Lip Crayons
    Perfume
    Bubble Bath

May need to buy in 2018

Shampoo - we have lots but everyone is using the same ones now
    Cleanser - bought one in November.
    Eye cream - only have the one which is in use - replaced this so will be fine for rest of year
    Day cream - bought a new one in October.
    Nail polish remover - already purchased so should be fine for a while.
    Curl cream - do have a few so should get quite a way through the year
    Deodorant
    Hand cream - should get halfway through the year
    Last edited by dolly84; 28-12-2018 at 4:22 PM.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 30th Nov 18, 4:42 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 8,842 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    • 30th Nov 18, 4:42 PM
    • 30th Nov 18, 4:42 PM
    Thanks sstevo!

I'm in again for December. Most of my PP list is carried over from November and is all taking forever to UU!

Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel
    Dr Haushka Rose Day Cream
    Odilyque aloe vera shower gel
    Faith in Nature Coconut shower gel
    Aveda Shampure shampoo
    Aveda Shampure conditioner
    Aurelia Firm and Replenish Body Serum
    Laura Mercier Creme Brūle body lotion
    Kiehl's Coriander Hand Salve
    Last edited by pinkfluffybabe; 31-12-2018 at 7:13 PM.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2019 104/146 UU, 61 IN
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2019 No.64 £528.74/£1000
    Saving for Christmas 2019 No.13 £365/£365
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2019 No.12 £107.05/£150
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 30th Nov 18, 4:48 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 7,941 Thanks
    sstevo19
    • 30th Nov 18, 4:48 PM
    • 30th Nov 18, 4:48 PM
    My PP list for December:

Aderma Sensifluid Cleansing Micellar Lotion 400ml
    Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner 180ml
    Paula’s Choice Resist Advanced Replenishing Toner 118ml
    Pureology Perfect 4 Platinum Shampoo 250ml
    Pureology Strength Cure Conditioner 250ml

The first two items have been carried over from last month. I should definitely finish the Klairs toner this month. I'm also going to work on using the samples I have up.
    • kadison
    • By kadison 1st Dec 18, 6:44 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 56,676 Thanks
    kadison
    • 1st Dec 18, 6:44 AM
    • 1st Dec 18, 6:44 AM
    I'm in again....obviously!

One thing, I'm very happy to say I only gave in on one thing for Black Friday which was this at less than half price on Amazon......

Elemis Limited Edition Pro-Collagen Rose Cleansing Balm 200g

Though to be fair, the offers were pretty disappointing in the main!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2018
    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it - Groucho Marx
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 1st Dec 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 7,941 Thanks
    sstevo19
    • 1st Dec 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1st Dec 18, 11:19 AM
    One UU today:

Cosrx Salicylic Acid Daily Gentle Cleanser sample WMBA. This was just what I needed. It's a foaming cleanser, so I probably won't buy a full size but if someone bought it for me, I'd probably use it.

And one IN today:

The Body Shop Peppermint Candy Cane Shower Gel 60ml My sister has treated me to an Advent Calendar as part of my Christmas presents this year and she got me The Body Shop one So I will have an IN everyday until Christmas
    • Tolteca87
    • By Tolteca87 1st Dec 18, 6:04 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 3,607 Thanks
    Tolteca87
    • 1st Dec 18, 6:04 PM
    • 1st Dec 18, 6:04 PM
    Eyes Step pyramid of storage boxes and bags. In yet again.
    • lucia22
    • By lucia22 1st Dec 18, 6:19 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 2,458 Thanks
    lucia22
    • 1st Dec 18, 6:19 PM
    • 1st Dec 18, 6:19 PM
    I used up a conditioner last month but forgot to update.

UU
    The Body Shop Rainforest Moisture Hair Butter 200ml - Loved this! Won't replace just yet as have some in stash.

Only INs are a mini Orla Kiely shower gel, shampoo, bar of soap and conditioner - freebie from a hotel stay.

Have just moved to London and I'm pretty much skint after two months here. Luckily having too many toiletries at my parents' house has turned out to be a good thing as I'll bring back some of my stockpile when I travel home for Christmas.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2019 Total UU since 2016 - 396 | Total February UU - 1
    • London baby
    • By London baby 1st Dec 18, 9:16 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 2,365 Thanks
    London baby
    UUs:

Tigi curls rock shampoo WBA, HG Resisted buying some at poundland as I have 2 more shampoos in stock to use up at first. Very proud of my strong will.

Ins:

2 x aqueous cream as my local poundland has not had them in stock for a long time and I resent paying 3 x the price in supermarkets.

PP
    To use up some face masks and more pampering products to lift my mood.
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 2nd Dec 18, 12:40 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 5,618 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    finally a few outs
    elvive shampoo the gloss one
    holland and barrett rose bath oil
    mini shampoo vegan one from sallys. it was nice but i don't have a trade card so it is a massive issue in my local branch.
    micelluar water garnier.... have 2 unopened left
    i dropped an eye shadow... out
    black eyeliner that was sore on the eyes
    lip pencil as the centre pencil fell out of it.

so i have had more used up in the last day or so than the full year.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 2nd Dec 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 7,941 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU from last night:

Heimish All Clean White Clay Foam Cleanser sample WPNB. This was nice and just what I needed last night, but since I tend to stay away from foaming cleansers, I probably won't buy it. And it had a weird smell.

And one IN from my Advent Calendar:

The Body Shop Mango Body Butter 50ml I've been loving the Mango Body Yogurt that I've got, so I will love this, I'm sure.
    • ponypal
    • By ponypal 2nd Dec 18, 10:35 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    ponypal
    Loved joining in for the first time last month, thanks for having me!

Here is my December PP list, some carried over from last month...
    Crazy Rumors Mint Chocolate Lip Balm
    Essence Stay All Day 16h Concealer
    Tisserand Wild Rose and Geranium Leaf handcream - hoping to finish this!
    B. Superdrug Day Cream with SPF - think I will finish this too! Would love any recommendations of face creams with SPF that are vegan friendly!
    Roots Double Effect Hair Growth Conditioner
    Elemis samples - 2 left
    Beauty Kitchen Rainbow Bath Bombs

As it's party season I am hoping to make some use of my glitter nail polishes too!

So far one IN which I bought yesterday based on some research and reading the positive reviews on the Superdrug website:
    Roots Double Effect Hair Growth Intensive Treatment
    I had £4 of points on my Superdrug card which offset the cost
    Debt Free since December 2017
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 2nd Dec 18, 1:36 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 12,504 Thanks
    Hermia
    UU Nivea Pure Invisible Anti-Perspirant - WBA as didn't give me a rash - hurrah!

UU OGX Pink Sugar Plum Shampoo - WNBA although I got this on the Boots clearance shelf and I think it might have been past its best.

I am hoping I won't need to buy anything this month.
    • SophieLoui23
    • By SophieLoui23 2nd Dec 18, 2:20 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    SophieLoui23
    Hiya everyone, I've been lurking for a while but haven't joined in for a while. It looks as though we're moving to a new country - exciting and a little scary - so I've got to whittle down my stash!

I'll post my PP for the month later but does anyone know where I can sell some products that I know I won't use? I have Elemis, Nuxe and lots of other bits and want to avoid *bay if possible.
    • Bookowl
    • By Bookowl 2nd Dec 18, 11:29 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Bookowl
    Newbie here- Love this post! Where does everyone buy their toiletries? I mostly buy mine in home bargains / b&m. I definitely need to do this challenge!
    • kadison
    • By kadison 3rd Dec 18, 3:25 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 56,676 Thanks
    kadison
    Newbie here- Love this post! Where does everyone buy their toiletries? I mostly buy mine in home bargains / b&m. I definitely need to do this challenge!
    Originally posted by Bookowl

Pretty much anywhere and everywhere from Poundland up to Lancome, but I hate paying full price so never do unless I can't avoid it! Generally I want at least 25% off RRP or more!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2018
    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it - Groucho Marx
    • captainhoarder
    • By captainhoarder 3rd Dec 18, 7:02 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    captainhoarder
    Good Morning everyone! Thanks for the new thread sstevo19.

1 UU this morning:

Sure Motion Sense Cotton Dry Roll On Deodorant - WDBA, smells fresh and lasts for ages. Part of the huge stash of deodorants my sister bought and didn’t use so she gave them to me. I do have another one of this one but I shall use the ones that have been opened first.

Stash total is 134
    • silverspirit
    • By silverspirit 3rd Dec 18, 9:04 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    silverspirit
    I get so tempted and am trying to sit on my hands. I have lots of liz earle and keep telling myself that it is good stuff and it is. I think there is something pleasureable about spending money and receiving a parcel. I will be looking up to you, to keep me on the straight and narrow. I won`t save if I spend on stuff
    • fixx
    • By fixx 3rd Dec 18, 9:30 AM
    • 780 Posts
    • 6,319 Thanks
    fixx
    I'm back in for December - need to start some serious pampering ahead of the xmas party, so hopefully that'll help use some things up!

My final items from November, and over the weekend - UU:
    - Carrefour (French supermarket) facewipes. WBA - cheap and cheerful, needed them at the time. I'm really unfussed about facewipes - I rarely use them, I just like having a pack to hand for when needed (mostly when I come in drunk and can't face a full cleanse :P)
    - Molton Brown gingerlily body wash. WNB - nice, but nothing special.
    - Afyna Detoxifying Body scrub. WMB - this is the first body scrub in a very long time that I actually liked. Not sure what it was about it, it was just really nice and enjoyable. Hmm. Came from my mum, need to find out where I can get it...
    - Cuderm cream. WMB - really liked this, though not quite HG. Very soothing on dry irritated skin, and caused no issues at all.
    - Origins Check and Balances frothy face wash (mini). WNB - nice, but prefer the clinique foaming wash.
    - Clinique custom smart custom repair serum (10ml mini). WDBA - HG. 4 left in this size...
    - pack of cotton wool pads.

And 2 ins:
    - Tesco facewipes (reduced to 55p)
    - Tesco cotton wool pads.

I agree with those who posted last month saying they don't really notice the difference - I just buy the first pack I come across once my current pack is finished.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,068Posts Today

6,742Users online

Martin's Twitter