Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 29th Nov 18, 4:09 PM
    • 1,122Posts
    • 8,127Thanks
    teafor2
    Slipping Through My Fingers
    • 29th Nov 18, 4:09 PM
    Slipping Through My Fingers 29th Nov 18 at 4:09 PM
    No, I'm not talking about the ABBA song that makes me cry every time I hear it, this is about my money

I'm the most technologically challenged person, so I'm going to post this and check it's working before I launch into a long winded waffle.
Page 14
    • Mum.Wife.Me.
    • By Mum.Wife.Me. 12th Jan 19, 9:11 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Mum.Wife.Me.
    I need to get a handle on our groceries too, i will be doing a shopping a list and menu from the end of the month, at the moment I am just trying to get through this month the best I can. Feels like I was paid weeks ago now and I still have another 2 weeks to wait till we get paid again.Hope you have a lovely weekend Tea x
    Going into 2019 owing £27, 789.94
    £83.50 / £27, 789.94
    Paying off debt so we can buy our forever home
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 12th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    I love a hood scary movie especially a zombie apocalypse it reminds me of a certain town we leave near

Treats definitely eat into everyone's budgets. We had a stack of ravdom chocolate /marzipans so I've just bought any until they've all gone. Cereal bars abd you hurt rice cakes are my families down fall and in last shop hubby spent £10 just on them! I don't mind, but the kids were told once they've gone there won't be anymore. Do you find bits like that get eaten before the fruit?
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Jan 19, 11:05 AM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 31,224 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you have a lovely day Teafor2

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £1561/£2070
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 12th Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning MWM - I remember waiting for that January wage as well. Seemed to take ages to arrive I find the grocery budget a double edged sword. Yes, we can control the spend but we can't control the price rises so to keep within budget we have to buy less. I meal plan as well and I think that side of things is OK. Like I said I'm going to tot up what goodies hubby chomps on because I'm 90% sure that's where I've been going over. But price rises are probably also to blame.

Choccy123 - I don't mind zombies actually because they're not real. It's human horror that terrifies me. It disturbs me knowing what people can do to each other and also that there are people out there who think up really horrible things in order to make a film. What is going on in their minds

You too Wannabe. I'm just off to walk the dogs now to get it done with then I think I'm going to try and find a film. I'm missing DD She's been my film buddy the past couple of weeks. Only weepies or comedies allowed though

Have a great day everybody. x
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 12th Jan 19, 6:11 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    Day 12/31, 7 NSD's, Prolific 60p cleared, 70p pending, Cash £36.41 for 7-13 Jan

It's been grey and miserable here today and apart from walking the dogs I've not been out so haven't spent anything. That means I got to pop over to the NSD board earlier on to claim my 7th NSD day. Feel I should have been more productive today than I have been, but I'm on top of most things including the ironing so I'm not going to look for things to do

Hope you've all enjoyed your Saturday. x
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Jan 19, 6:29 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 31,224 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    The weather has been awful hasn't it? So wet here!

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

• teafor2
    • By teafor2 13th Jan 19, 11:21 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning Everybody

Day 13/31, 7 NSD's, Prolific 60p cleared, 70p pending, Cash £36.41 for 7-13 Jan

So, 2 weeks into January I thought I'd have a count up to see where I'm at. I've been adding money to certain categories - cash left over from my weekly spends and a Prolific cash out meant I could do this. The first number is what I allocated at the beginning of the month and the second number is what I've actually got.

Savings £25/£37
    DS Savings £10/£10
    Christmas £10/£17
    Caravan £0/6.50
    Dogs £25/£25
    Hairdressers £10/£10
    Credit Card £80 + £40 + £20

Today will be another NSD so that means I have £36.41 left. I'm going to pay £20 off the CC, put £2 each to Christmas, Caravan and Savings and then carry £10 over to add to my spends for next week. The odd pence I'll put into a penny pot. I've included all this in the totals above.

Hope everybody has a lovely Sunday.
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 13th Jan 19, 12:29 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    Just realised I've made a mistake with the above figures - in my favour though, so all is good

Although I've written down what I'm doing with the Prolific money I hadn't actually put it in the relevant envelopes. So a little update:

Savings £25/£42
    Christmas £10/£22
    Caravan £0/11.50

Mum gave me some petrol money in the week as well so that bumped each of the above up by £2 but I put that in straight away so I think I'm all straight now. Also need to go and add 2 smiley faces to my chart - nearly forgot to do that as well. Brain like a sieve some days.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 13th Jan 19, 7:43 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 31,224 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    It's all looking good Teafor2, hope you've had a relaxing day

x

• teafor2
    • By teafor2 13th Jan 19, 9:25 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    Too relaxing probably Wannabe I usually spend any spare time sewing or knitting etc. but I don't feel like it lately. Seem to have lost my mojo for stuff like that. It'll come back though. Always does.
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 14th Jan 19, 8:43 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning Everybody. So begins another week.

First bit is a bit repetitive. I've decided to list where I'm up to with my categories every Monday. Then if I need to look back on something I'll know Monday will be the day to start from.

Savings £25/£42
    DS Savings £10/£10
    Christmas £10/£22
    Caravan £0/0
    Dogs £25/£25
    Hairdressers £10/£10
    Credit Card £80 + £40 + £20

Caravan being back at zero isn't a mistake. I transferred it to DD last night so she could stock up with some basics now she's back at uni. Plenty of time yet to save up for my ice creams and fish and chips

So day 14/31, 8 NSD's, Prolific 60p cleared, 70p pending, Cash £30 kitty + £10 carried over from last week = £40.

Need to pop out for a few bits today but it's food so will come from the joint account. I have absolutely nothing I need to buy this week but think I'll pick up another top while I'm out and about. I really do hate clothes shopping so I'm going to get the one I bought last week but in another colour.

Did a little adding up exercise and I've spent £21.09 of 'my money' since 1st January. I am soooo low maintenance . And £5.50 of that was on a McD's for DS which happens once in a blue moon. I'm amazed at what I don't spend and a little bit frustrated with myself that I didn't go down the route of monitoring my money a lot sooner. But it is what it is and I'm here now.

Right enough waffling. Hope you all have a good day. X
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 14th Jan 19, 9:06 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Your pots are filling up nicely and it's a great idea tracking weekly. Great personal spends total for the year and well done for not using fir family things.

I often buy same things in different colours if I like them. My favourite is m&s ballet shoes and I buy 3 pairs at a time. I've saved a fortune by being off work
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 14th Jan 19, 9:27 AM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 31,224 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day

x

• teafor2
    • By teafor2 14th Jan 19, 4:03 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hi CG, hope you've had a good day. The pots are looking OK aren't they. The only 3 I'll be adding to will be Christmas, Savings and Caravan. The money I put in the others covers what I spend pretty much to the penny so no need for extra in those.

Thanks Wannabe. Fantastic news on the CC front. Hope you feel like a little bit of weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

Went to the supermarket for a few bits this morning, withdrew my spends for the week, walked the dogs, did some housework, cooked a ham for tomorrow and then tried very hard not to spend the rest of the day on the laptop

No spending again so that's my 9th so far. Need to go over to the challenge board now and make a note of it before I forget x
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 14th Jan 19, 10:31 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 31,224 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    You are doing so well with the NSD's! and the pots.

Did you find another top?

x

• Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 15th Jan 19, 8:24 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    You're on fire this month tea! I love your pots and when hubby back to normal wages I'm going to set some up. I'm thinking car insurance, child benefit, dog grooming and EF.

My plan is to try and save child benefit for child expenses trips, shoes, clothes (the bits I never really budget for)

I love ham so have dinner envy today!
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 15th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning CG I do like my pots although in actual fact they're little plastic bags. I was surprised how much was in each one when I counted them.

Child benefit just gets eaten up on general stuff here as well which isn't so bad because I just take what's needed from the joint account but I should try to put it to one side really. I gave DD hers when she was 16 as part of her lesson in budgeting. Like the rest of us she had good months and bad but it gave her a basic understanding of how much she needed to account for and how far money doesn't go

Have a great day. x
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 15th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning

Day 15/31, 9 NSD's, Prolific £1.30 cleared, £1.50 pending, Cash £40 for 14-20th January

Out for coffee today and hoping to pick up another top so it probably won't be a NSD. I have a bit of food shopping to do, the stuff I know I can get cheaper than at Mr T's - which is just over £3's worth this week.

Then it'll be back home for ham, chips and salad and I'll be glued to the TV watching the debates and then 'The Vote'.

Hope you all have a good day. x
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 15th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 31,224 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day today and enjoy your coffee

I can't follow the debate and vote so relying on mse friends to post and keep me updated (in simple terms I can understand )

x

• teafor2
    • By teafor2 15th Jan 19, 9:40 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    teafor2
    It's hard to understand what they actually mean even when they say things in a so called simple way Wannabe because their words and statements are so ambiguous. I think the outcome of the vote is obvious, it's the bit that comes next that intrigues me. x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,120Posts Today

6,690Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Morning. I'm on my way to @GMB for my 7:40 deals of the week. This week incl how to beat the stamp price hike, a fr? https://t.co/DYJoF6NzKV

• Today's twitter poll: Who do u trust more Theresa May or Parliament? The PM yest blamed parliament for Brexit dela? https://t.co/wdKhTxryvk

• Follow Martin