Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,706Posts
    • 9,223Thanks
    MandM90
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:34 PM
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;) 28th Nov 18 at 2:34 PM
    Thanks to fuddle for helping to keep your lovely thread safe from the spam gremlins by starting a new one. I've unstuck the old one, link below...

This will be the PREPPING thread inspired by this long running thread

and the second one which can be found here

Votes took place here on what this thread is designed primarily for outcome was as follows....

54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome
    11.29% Two threads - one Brexit based politics welcome, one general life based, preferred no politics
    19.35% One thread, no politics please, this is OS
    14.52% I don't honestly mind

So with these differing opinions, please bear this in mind and enjoy the thread Be respectful and enjoy the community. I really hope everyone's happy with the outcome. I tried to be as fair as I could.

Let's not forget the intermittent prepping thread

Guidelines

* All posters are welcome. This thread doesn't "belong" to anyone (not even me )

* Please be nice to all moneysavers

* Let's all draw a line in the sand and move on from previous threads and disagreements etc

* Would love to see new people joining in here and existing posters who have gone quiet for whatever reason

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

Enjoy the new thread Ladels and Jellyspoons. I've made this a sticky to ensure it gets a great start and lots of contribution.

ZIP

From the previous thread, let's not forget how this started - from vanoonoo

I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 75
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Jan 20, 3:58 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Death is alway going to be a bit of an elephant in the room *
    as we all 'know' we're going to live forever but clearly don't.

* I had a bit of brain lapse so had to resort to Wikipedia, which helpfully informed me that the Kiriwinans (near Papua New Guinea) use the word mokita which means 'truth we all know but agree not to talk about'
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jan 20, 6:55 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 38,266 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Google not helping & imagination doing tactless laps - please share wisdom with this idiot child?

As I need to get a grip on this tact lark.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jan 20, 7:00 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 189,535 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's for others just now love, just be you, tact can wait xxx.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Jan 20, 8:20 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Last edited by unrecordings; 13-01-2020 at 9:21 AM. Reason: tact
    • Suffolksue
    • By Suffolksue 12th Jan 20, 8:20 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 3,345 Thanks
    Suffolksue
    DD had planned ,left instructions etc obviously wanted to make things as easy as possible for her children ( then aged 7and 5) Had the cremation, then had Thanksgiving service at the church of her best friend (Baptist) whose minister had befriended and supported her .This was so that the time ended on a relative high for the children.
    I have no beliefs/ faith but took the view that anything that helped her cope with it was good .

DH refuses to discuss it or have any wishes ,says he won’t be there so do what we want

I have threatened to have him taken in to “On the Ball City”!

Our poor son,who, 9 yrs ago gave the eulogy for his sister is now preparing his fathers .

Please don’t worry about tact DfV ,
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jan 20, 9:51 PM
    • 32,916 Posts
    • 194,673 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Google not helping & imagination doing tactless laps - please share wisdom with this idiot child?

As I need to get a grip on this tact lark.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I think MrsLW was making a play on words about mojito cocktails, DfV, thats what I read anyway - no idea whether its true! And as for tact ... yep, overrated. One of the things that should never happen to anyone has happened to you and your OH

Thinking of you.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Jan 20, 10:03 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Ah,
    Maybe that was my fault, sorry. While there's a time to talk about these things, maybe now isn't one of them
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jan 20, 10:06 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 189,535 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Most definitely a play on words which I hope with every fibre of my being has NOT hurt when it was not in any way meant to.

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Jan 20, 7:55 AM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 38,266 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Midears, this is an open forum & all can & should be free to speak.
    Within forum rules, and so forth.
    Prepping includes for the really tough stuff, as well as having the right loo roll & car parts & you shouldn’t let one giddy poster disrupt that!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 13th Jan 20, 12:01 PM
    • 10,811 Posts
    • 16,279 Thanks
    -taff
    Sorry DFV, that's just such a sh*t thing to happen, my condolences, although that is not going to help you but I wish it could...
    I prepped myself and OH the year before last with wills and instructions.
    I would also, in light of what happened to my father last year, urge anyone who needs to, to prep having a bed downstairs, or if one is offered, take it. Stubborness is all well and good except when it really doesn't help.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Jan 20, 10:55 AM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 26,616 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, DfV. I wish you lots of strength dealing with it all.

My parents are well prepped for their demise. They have a plan for when they won't be able to climb the stairs anymore: they will turn the dining room into a bedroom.

They also have wills, and have their last wishes and address book uptodate, and tell me regularly where everything is. I'm Executor of their wills, and have already told them I will pay a Notary to help me.

Husband and I, on the other hand, should really sit down and handle our affairs just in case one of us departs before the other, when the children are still under age.
    Wombabeluba 2020! 19,15 = 16.37
    2019's wi-wa-wombles 2.244,20 = 1,909.46
    Wombling to wealth 2018 972,97 = 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7.116,68 = 6,309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31 = 2,969.05
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jan 20, 9:45 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 38,266 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I’m getting a heads up in how not prepared I am for some things.
    To find my beloved uncle-by-marriage who has been nurturing wildlife in Oxford not only has a grown-from-acorn oak, but has had it in his care for five years, has this weekend picked out a sunny spot for it & consulted as to whether we want a plaque.

I want to hug him so hard I hear his ribs creak. Then my aunt, who has a well trained allotment.

I am but a toddler.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 15th Jan 20, 9:37 AM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 26,616 Thanks
    Siebrie
    DigforVictory, how awfully sweet, kind and thoughtful from your uncle-by-marriage!
    • C J
    • By C J 15th Jan 20, 4:20 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 8,073 Thanks
    C J
    Almost exactly twenty years ago, give or take a few months, I collected a bag full of conkers from a wonderful tree on the Banbury Road in Oxford. It's in the University-owned property right opposite Gee's restaurant if you ever want to go and look at it.

Several of the conkers ended up being left in a plastic bag outside, and eventually some of them sprouted. I planted them up into pots, but only one of them grew. It's been in a massive pot in the garden ever since - it is now about eight feet high. This weekend, Mister C J is going to remove it from the pot and plant it in the lightly wooded area at the far end of our property, where it adjoins a small spring. I think it will be happy there, and henceforth it's going to be known as Dug. The site here is Roman (we have found all sorts of interesting artefacts) so I hope the historian in you will approve.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • jk0
    • By jk0 16th Jan 20, 1:54 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 27,218 Thanks
    jk0
    Feeling the cold
    I turn 55 next week, and have noticed this year I'm feeling the cold more at home. (Male) I have to set the heating higher most of the day. Is this to be expected at this stage?

I remember my granny used to have the heating set to 25 all year round, but she was in her 80's.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 16th Jan 20, 2:06 PM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 64,826 Thanks
    Jazee
    I turn 55 next week, and have noticed this year I'm feeling the cold more at home. (Male) I have to set the heating higher most of the day. Is this to be expected at this stage?

I remember my granny used to have the heating set to 25 all year round, but she was in her 80's.
    Originally posted by jk0
    My DH is around the same age. Driving me mad with how cold he is despite extra layers and coming to bed dressed to go out. I have to keep turning the heating down for me!
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #104 Jan 0/total 0/3600
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 16th Jan 20, 2:46 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 26,616 Thanks
    Siebrie

Originally posted by jk0

What are you wearing and how active are you during the day? Can you get up regularly and move? Regular ventilation helps, as does layered clothing. Sometimes getting hot tea or coffee inside yourself helps, too. I wear a very thick fleecelined woollen cardigan over my clothes as soon as I get home.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 16th Jan 20, 2:53 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 27,218 Thanks
    jk0
    What are you wearing and how active are you during the day? Can you get up regularly and move? Regular ventilation helps, as does layered clothing. Sometimes getting hot tea or coffee inside yourself helps, too. I wear a very thick fleecelined woollen cardigan over my clothes as soon as I get home.
    Originally posted by Siebrie

Thanks. Oh, I still go out for a mile walk every day, and live on tea. I have lots of jumpers, but find it makes me chesty to wear them indoors.

It's not really a problem, as I can certainly afford the heating. Just surprised at getting old, I guess.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Jan 20, 3:16 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 189,535 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I have a 'poncho style' throw in most rooms of the house I'm likely to work in for any length of time and find if I pop one of them on I still have my arms free in just one layer underneath which lets me work more easily than when encumbered my multi layers of fabric and the loose top layer keeps me toasty warm, like being in my own personally heated tent.

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 16th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    • 3,277 Posts
    • 39,669 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    My OH (61) is a bit of a Viking, though lately he's retreated from wearing shorts outside all year round & started to wear a moderately warm & waterproof jacket to football. He leaves doors open whatever the weather & turns the central heating thermostat down to 15 if he thinks I'm not looking - it's normally at 18. BUT he shivers under a 15-tog wool duvet at night, all year round, and starts requesting an extra quilt in September! Whereas I'm the other way around & boil under a 7-tog & kick it off constantly unless there's 6"+ of snow - which doesn't usually happen down here - but find I need woolly jumpers in the daytime. There's nowt so strange as folk...
    Angie

GC Jan 20 - 340.58/420
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 0 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,770Posts Today

6,695Users online

Martin's Twitter