PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Tea stash topped back up to "should see me for a bit" levels. (Stash 3 that is - stash 1 is still concealed under stepladder but all in foil packets in cardboard so shall not worry unduly,)

If the Bog Roll Standard is implemented, I really should move the Costco package from the hall. In fact, I ought to Anyway. It's obscuring access to coats.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Pineapple (((HUGS))) So sorry you're ill.

calicocat Some things keep better than others; I recently found, to my shame, 2 cans of baked beans in my stash with a BBE date of 2012 on them. I was planning beans on toast for tea so I opened them to see what condition they were in, and they were absolutely fine.

Evaporated milk OTOH, a year past its date, looked and tasted Not Right At All, so that had to go down the sink.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Pineapple (((HUGS))) So sorry you're ill.

calicocat Some things keep better than others; I recently found, to my shame, 2 cans of baked beans in my stash with a BBE date of 2012 on them. I was planning beans on toast for tea so I opened them to see what condition they were in, and they were absolutely fine.

Evaporated milk OTOH, a year past its date, looked and tasted Not Right At All, so that had to go down the sink.

You can't beat the sight/smell/tiny-taste tests, imo!:)

Generally, I find that cans, unless dented or damaged, keep very well. The BBE dates usually indicate that colour or texture might deteriorate, but the contents shouldn't be harmful.

So, if you don't mind pale baked beans, eat away!

On the other hand, anything that smells iffy, or tastes a bit off, whatever the best before date, is quite rightly binnable.

I suppose it's all about a bit of common sense, really.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Today being sunny, our building (which is already full of hot air), is getting Warm. The delight at finding I still had a folding paper fan stashed in a corner of a drawer was equal to the delight at the ease with which cool air could be circulated.

No electricity, no substantial storage, just an unfold & undulate air circulation device. (Mine isn't quite as pretty as the one illustrated but the butterfly handle means it doesn't suffer if a paperback gets shoved alongside.) If you spot one (mine was a pound from a Chinese supermarket, I'm sure other suppliers are available), grab at least one - they really are a joy to have & use!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I bought a semi-circular fan as a tourist memento that could be useful, in Spain last October :) It was wildly expensive compared to yours (6 euros!) but I wanted my young cousin to see me buying something she liked (complex situation), and it *was* pretty. The bog standard ones were 2 euros. I'm sort of looking forward to using it this year :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 March 2019 at 6:13PM
    Today being sunny, our building (which is already full of hot air), is getting Warm. The delight at finding I still had a folding paper fan stashed in a corner of a drawer was equal to the delight at the ease with which cool air could be circulated.

No electricity, no substantial storage, just an unfold & undulate air circulation device. (Mine isn't quite as pretty as the one illustrated but the butterfly handle means it doesn't suffer if a paperback gets shoved alongside.) If you spot one (mine was a pound from a Chinese supermarket, I'm sure other suppliers are available), grab at least one - they really are a joy to have & use!
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I bought a semi-circular fan as a tourist memento that could be useful, in Spain last October :) It was wildly expensive compared to yours (6 euros!) but I wanted my young cousin to see me buying something she liked (complex situation), and it *was* pretty. The bog standard ones were 2 euros. I'm sort of looking forward to using it this year :rotfl:
    OMG! I wouldn't be without a fan!

I have a folding Chinese fan in my handbag, even in winter, as sometimes shops, houses and public buildings can be stifling!

I buy the cheap fold-up Chinese fans that are only about the size of a pen when folded, but which give a good draughty of air. They might not last for ages, but they come in packs of ten or twelve and so last a fair while!

I used one only the other day when I was on a course and got really hot.

I'll see if I can find a link....

Edit....This is the sort of thing.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12-Folding-Paper-Fans-Chinese/dp/B004XB34DC?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&!!!!!duckduckgo-ipad-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004XB34DC

They fold up really, really small.

You can get better quality ones for a bit more, but they are good value, and as said before, do create a good waft!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• I found a bamboo and silk fan in the village jumble sale a few weeks ago for 50p, it was still in its original packaging and wafts an amazing amount or air around when you waggle it, now in my drawer beside my chair for ease of access in warmer weather.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I found a bamboo and silk fan in the village jumble sale a few weeks ago for 50p, it was still in its original packaging and wafts an amazing amount or air around when you waggle it, now in my drawer beside my chair for ease of access in warmer weather.
    :) Of course, one can always use one's fan to signal various things:

https://www.sothebys.com/en/articles/the-secret-language-of-fans

I find that a fan is rather a pleasing accessory, seeming to lend gracefulness to hand and wrist, even in those such as myself, for whom grace isn't a natural gift. I also know a few ladies of menopausal years who swear by the efficacy during power surges.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • I'm sure there are books about using movements of the fan to say what cannot be said, flirting with them way back when was 'a la mode' I'd love to read one and find out what whirling air as fast as you can because you're baking actually means!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :p It means I am Hot Stuff!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills