Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,569Posts
    • 8,483Thanks
    MandM90
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)
    • 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;) 28th Nov 18 at 1:34 PM
    Thanks to fuddle for helping to keep your lovely thread safe from the spam gremlins by starting a new one. I've unstuck the old one, link below...

This will be the PREPPING thread inspired by this long running thread

and the second one which can be found here

Votes took place here on what this thread is designed primarily for outcome was as follows....

54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome
    11.29% Two threads - one Brexit based politics welcome, one general life based, preferred no politics
    19.35% One thread, no politics please, this is OS
    14.52% I don't honestly mind

So with these differing opinions, please bear this in mind and enjoy the thread Be respectful and enjoy the community. I really hope everyone's happy with the outcome. I tried to be as fair as I could.

Let's not forget the intermittent prepping thread

Guidelines

* All posters are welcome. This thread doesn't "belong" to anyone (not even me )

* Please be nice to all moneysavers

* Let's all draw a line in the sand and move on from previous threads and disagreements etc

* Would love to see new people joining in here and existing posters who have gone quiet for whatever reason

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

Enjoy the new thread Ladels and Jellyspoons. I've made this a sticky to ensure it gets a great start and lots of contribution.

ZIP

From the previous thread, let's not forget how this started - from vanoonoo

I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 47
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th May 19, 3:28 PM
    • 5,186 Posts
    • 58,964 Thanks
    Jazee
    I think he feels better about the stressful situation at work knowing that I fully support him if he does leave, that there are other options in life and that we will manage.

Today has been a write off for me with a migraine. At least I know there's enough stuff in so DH won't starve tonight!
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 May £22.85 Total 2019 - £1367.04/£5k
    Keep Moving Challenge - walked 264 miles
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th May 19, 4:16 PM
    • 31,456 Posts
    • 185,471 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm breathing easier with my kitchen finished, my own appliances reinstalled and new ones (cooker and hob) installed and approved by the gas fitter (in the case of the hob). I kept imagining something bad might happen when all I had was the shell of a room, with the contents stacked in flatpacks in the other room
    What I'm going to do now is make sure having preps doesn't impede me, and what helps me with that is that some of the old kitchen is now stacked in the shed, ready to be filled with rarely used but necessary items
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th May 19, 6:52 PM
    • 13,261 Posts
    • 182,291 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I think things will ramp up considerably in the next couple of weeks, people will become very opinionated and the divides politically in the population will become more marked and aggressive with there being some very hard words between varying factions. I'm not looking forward to the European Elections which could be a real flash point so I want all my preps finished and in place by the 22nd of May at the latest. It may all just be a non event BUT I'm not taking any chances and we'll be doing a lot of staying out of public places and low profile at home for a few days after the 23rd too and see how it all pans out. I think there is an enormous amount of pent up anger in people which may lead to some disruptions I'd much rather not be caught up in.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 11th May 19, 7:14 PM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 49,508 Thanks
    maryb
    There could well be a lot of noise and hot air in the next couple of weeks. But I think a lot of people will see this as a 'safe' poke in the eye, ie with no lasting day to day effects on everyday life, so it could all simmer down afterwards - hopefully
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th May 19, 4:29 AM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 27,278 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Mrs LurcherWalker managed it, by carefully running down the supplies (& understandably agonising thereat), moving and resupplying with all reasonable promptness. It can be done, but the timing is a beast.

Or you moved with Everything & have to unpack it all. (The path I chose about 15 years ago & still haven't quite finished unpacking since but then I moved with toddlers...)

Have you the time & intestinal fortitude to Marie Kondo the place first?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I have done a lot of chucking out and there is a nice haul for the cs
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 19, 8:13 AM
    • 13,261 Posts
    • 182,291 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I hope you're right Maryb, but I'm not entirely sure that I trust 'hope' which has not delivered it's promise many times in my life, I'd rather try and think ahead, plan ahead, be prepared for the eventualities I can think of (I know it's not possible to think of all eventualities) to keep us out of any unrest/disturbance that might result from people being so furiously angry, understandably so, with this current situation that they don't just use words to express their displeasure. People are volatile in stress situations they feel strongly about and the stresses are building towards the 23rd of May and the European elections and I'm concerned that may be a flash point that will set off protests, thinking back to times when riots have happened when the number of angry people outnumber the police and other peacekeepers. I fervently hope I'm wrong and all is peaceful but not going to leave anything to chance just in case I'm not!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • MingVase
    • By MingVase 13th May 19, 5:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    MingVase
    I don't know anybody up here who is going to vote at all.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th May 19, 6:22 PM
    • 9,293 Posts
    • 31,052 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Anyone in my household who wants me to drive them anywhere will as (a) my female relatives were very vigorous about getting me a vote at all & (b) I have taught the young that even if they do not vote they can still spoil their ballot, whereas an outbreak of CBA will be met with "you can't grumble you didn't vote".

Even son who has left home is likely to vote, largely as his voting station is the local scout hut. At a previous election he figured it is a Secret Ballot & so claimed to have voted UKIP & was startled to find a young lady he had hoped to catch the attention of kicked him soundly in the leg. I cheered this & he has realised Why the Ballot is Secret.

I don't think there'll a massive public uprising but we'll be hiking the Scouts Thursday night so their parents will have to make arrangements for their exhausted darlings which may cramp any pitchfork & burning brand style.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 13-05-2019 at 6:25 PM.
    • mumf
    • By mumf 14th May 19, 6:13 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    mumf
    I dont vote at local or European elections.However the votes go ( at general election too) ,life still carries on,and we are headed by self- serving,power- seeking idiots. At local level certainly,they always have their own agenda.I could go on,but I have to go and do a proper day's work and pay my taxes to keep the aforementioned spouting tripe!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th May 19, 2:25 PM
    • 13,261 Posts
    • 182,291 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I hope there won't be any kind of problem but I have that little niggle of concern at the very back of my mind that people might just have reached the point of complete loss of tolerance with the whole political and Brexit related fiasco that seems to be getting more distant from the actual act of leaving the EU every single day. I really hope I'm worrying about nothing but just in case there are problems I'll make sure we've what we need for a while so I don't have to go out too often if there is a problem.

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th May 19, 8:41 AM
    • 9,293 Posts
    • 31,052 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    And on an altogether upbeat, happier note [Sarcasm Alert], I was riveted to read there is now a paediatric handbook for war zones.

I'm very glad there is this information freely downloadable within the community, I just really wish it wasn't necessary.

Says she going off to revise with her first aid app on the grounds that an awful lot of prepping isn't material but knowledge.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th May 19, 10:05 AM
    • 13,261 Posts
    • 182,291 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    A little newsflash just popped onto the screen and Jeremy Corbyn has pulled out of the cross party Brexit talks as 'he can't trust unreliable Theresa May' so I rather feel we're back to just before square one in the dealings on Brexit and may be in for some 'not so entertaining' political playground squabbles in the next few weeks! a sense of deja vue creeps upon me, again!

I shall keep prepping as the future looks increasingly like a minefield and I think people are going to become increasingly cross about the uncertainty and unknown outcome of the whole Brexit process.

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 19, 2:29 PM
    • 9,293 Posts
    • 31,052 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Mindful of your concerns Mrs LW & while working in a major city distinctly sharing them, I was intrigued to research advice on how to survive/get out of a riot.

In case you wanted to know:
    Try To Blend In - In a riot, there are three groups of people: the rioters, the police, and the non-violent bystanders. You want to do your best to blend in with the third group and avoid the attention of the first two while making your way to safety.

Drive Carefully - as if you’re driving towards police officers, they may think you intend to use your vehicle as a weapon. Rioters, on the other hand, seem to love nothing more than upturning a vehicle. The key here is to stay calm and drive normally, avoiding crowds of people as best you can while you make your escape.
    (Not sure about you but my satnav is really unhelpful on where crowds are, but google maps does at least warn you of known traffic blockages & roadworks.)

Move With the Crowd Until You Find an Opportunity to Escape - don't fight the flow but go with the crowd until an opportunity such as a doorway, an alley, or a side street presents itself. Then, moving laterally, make your way out of the crowd and to safety.

Avoid Riot Control Weapons - tear gas, water cannons, rubber bullets are supposed to be non-lethal, but why test it? Stay far away from the front lines of the riot, and keep a careful eye out for signs that nonlethal weapons have been deployed, such as people running away from a particular spot with their arms shielding their faces.

Don’t Try to Be a Hero - targeting rioters individually is a deadly business. As difficult as it might be to resist the urge to intervene in such situations, doing so likely won’t help anything and may cost you your life. Get yourself and your loved ones to safety and leave the rest to the police.

Avoid Getting Pinned In - to minimise the risk of being crushed, stay away from tight spaces and buildings (unless you have a way to enter the building). Also, try to keep away from the edge of the crowd. Not only will this protect you from being pinned, it will also make you less of a target for police officers.

Get Indoors Right Away - if you remain calm and patient, the opportunity to get indoors should eventually present itself. If you are lucky, you will already be inside a building once the riot starts. Either way, get inside the nearest building, lock the doors and windows if you can, and stay there. If possible, secure a weapon as well. You never know when someone with bad intentions will enter the building you’re in. Arming yourself and hunkering down in an interior room is the best way to stay secure for the duration of the riot.
    (I think I'd rather have a wind up radio & my knitting but I take the point riots are uncivilised.)

Trust Your Instinct, Be Prepared to Improvise - Remaining calm, keeping a wary eye on your surroundings, and trusting your gut as you make your way to safety is the best way to survive a riot of any size and violence level.

Oh yes, a 'poker face' so those with you don't realise you're scared & take their calm lead from you & 'responding with confidence' as if your choice is entirely reasonable are also recommended. These Americans are far too experienced in how to walk nonchalantly away from tear gas, rioters and promptly hunkering down & tooling up. More British might be to observe something happening at a distance, elect not to go that way, pick a different to the mob & get home & brew up with all reasonable decorum.

Says she with her calendar set to leave the city before the Footballers (& their open top bus) start serious celebrations & generally eyeing the main and the minor roads out...
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 13,261 Posts
    • 182,291 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I had an 'experience' yesterday D for V, HWK was in surgery and I'd gone into the city later in the day on the bus and was doing some shopping and came out of a shop right into the middle of an extremely volatile argument going on between two young non British men and a couple of young women who had been walking down the road and were verbally abused by the men, I heard shouting as I paid in the shop but hadn't banked on walking out the door and nearly being mown down by the young men going at a rate of knots towards the women. I just put my head down, sidestepped and walked away at pace, didn't look at any of them just got out of the way and left. It left me a tiny bit shaken but I put distance between me and the situation as fast as I could without running and drawing attention to myself.

I guess, as yesterday proved, that things can happen out of the blue and you only have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to be caught up in things that have noting at all to do with you.

Being 'grey' and not standing out, almost like invisibility in a crowd is about as safe as you can get and getting away from anything that has kicked off as quickly and unobtrusively as you can is the only thing you can do.

Worse thing I've been in and unable to get out of was when we first were moving to Hampshire and HWK was down there working and the girls and I were going down for a half term on the train which turned out to be full of football supporters from a London club, all well oiled, very turbulent between themselves and the language and 'maleness' of it all was daunting BUT there were policemen patrolling the carriages with police dogs and in the main other than alcohol induced argumentativeness it was just 'rough' round the edges. The police were watching out for us, made sure the blokes round about us behaved as well as they could be persuaded to and generally maintained a presence near us, grateful for that but more grateful to actually reach destination and get out of the station away from them.

• CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 17th May 19, 4:25 PM
    • 3,268 Posts
    • 36,029 Thanks
    CRANKY40

I guess, as yesterday proved, that things can happen out of the blue and you only have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to be caught up in things that have noting at all to do with you.

Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    My friend Rose and I were part of the Poll Tax march more years ago than I care to remember. It was a warm day and at the end of the march we stopped at a shop in Whitehall (just steps away from Trafalgar Square) to buy a drink when we reached the end of the march. The shop's owners were being sensible and only letting so many people in at a time, then the next lot and so on. After we bought our drink, the police closed the shop as the crowd pushing to get in was deemed unsafe. The mood started to turn ugly and my friend Rose who was way more streetwise than me (she was black, from London and educated me thoroughly about the racism that I didn't even know existed until I met her) said "Run". We ran until we reached Embankment tube station without looking back and caught the next tube home.

I have often remembered the occasion of the Poll Tax riots and thought thank goodness that Rose knew when to run.
    Weight loss 2019 challenge two = 3 lbs
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 17th May 19, 6:14 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 7,542 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi guys
    I wasnít expecting anything but failure from the discussions ( as far as I can see neither could give enough to make a difference and it was just kicking the can down the road as usual)
    Unfortunately my prepping is going to have to be downsized due to us having to move out to get renovations done. But Iím being positive about it. The money Iím now saving is going off my CC and savings account.
    As soon as Iím back in Iíll start again.
    Weíre lucky that itís quite sleepy and thereís little chance of unrest here. My eldest lives in the country but my youngest lives in a city which unnerves me at the best of times. Heís moving nearer here soon so Iím hoping that his moves over and done with before anything else happens. Letís face it the government have a few weeks to complain that they didnít get voted for in the European elections, then to turn Mrs May plan down again, then their summer hols so nothing is going to happen anytime soon.
    Iíve decide to just go with the flow. Iím not going to stress out anymore.
    Iím making the most of the nice weather and making some lovely meals.
    I hope everyone is keeping well
    Cuddles
    2019 Grocery Spend £638.28/£2000
    May Grocery spend £47.50/£150
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 19, 7:46 PM
    • 31,456 Posts
    • 185,471 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I was intrigued to research advice on how to survive/get out of a riot.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Your notes are really good, DfV, thanks for that. It's very particular, and could be incredibly valuable.

Plus I downloaded the pdf about children - not for myself, but any medical peep of my acquaintance, including a young second cousin.

Unfortunately my prepping is going to have to be downsized due to us having to move out to get renovations done.
    Originally posted by cuddlymarm
    Exactly what I had to put up with this month and last, cuddlymarm - I was having metaphorical nightmares about how I'd cope if something really bad happened with nothing else in my kitchen except broken brick on the walls ... luckily everything's fitted now except the wall tiles and the central light, so I count myself very lucky.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th May 19, 9:20 AM
    • 9,293 Posts
    • 31,052 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Our A Level Candidate is prepping. Sort of. Very specific biros. Bottled water in clear bottles. Packet rice by the galore as both he & little brother cook & devour the stuff as tickover fodder. Mentos mints as apparently chewing boosts your IQ. (Some days QI has a bit to answer for, but I double checked & Google agrees, so meekly I will be adding to the shopping list.)

He has just cleared out my stash of highlighters & the vivid post-its, which I will need to get to some conference to resupply on.

Ah well. He will be fed, bathed & packed off to bed in an unnaturally quiet house (as is our exam tradition) tonight. We will then likely slump back into our usual ways but I now know to ask youngest what chewy sweets he likes for next year... As well as to stocktake the stationery cupboard earlier, but he'll be doing Art & will doubtless have his own disconcerting list.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th May 19, 5:14 PM
    • 9,293 Posts
    • 31,052 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    It seems we have a copy of Land Operations vol3 Counter Revolutionary Operations pt 2 Internal Security.
    Which amongst other light entertainments includes the use of water cannon. (Please don't ask how come we have a copy - I suspect it came with a wad of other nifty military manuals which were being flogged for so much per carrier-bag-full at a militaria fair um-years ago.)

I have an odd feeling that, battered though it is, I will be studying it with extreme curiosity. As the tools may be outdated but (a) that's not stopped the Army before (they took bread ovens from museums to the Falklands) & (b) the basics of the logic behind how they are used will not have changed & understanding that saves a lot of effort in figuring how to avoid getting stuck in the wrong place.

Although I strenuously doubt "Run!" will ever be bad advice, in which direction also helps.
    • Greenglockenspiel
    • By Greenglockenspiel 20th May 19, 12:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Greenglockenspiel
    Hello everyone,
    I have been following this thread and its predecessor for a while but have only just made an account because I wanted your advice. We are currently renting and our tenancy ends in September, at which point we were hoping to buy our first home. This is all very well and good but the question is, what to do about my preps? I built up a fair stock in my pantry (murmurings were heard about a lifetime supply of pasta and toilet paper) and I’m wondering whether I should run it all down as much as possible before moving (and then try to build it up again quickly and cheaply ahead of Brexit and winter) or attempt to move it - potentially in a lite version? Has anyone here moved a stockpile?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

372Posts Today

3,689Users online

Martin's Twitter