Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,564Posts
    • 8,454Thanks
    MandM90
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)
    • 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;) 28th Nov 18 at 1:34 PM
    Thanks to fuddle for helping to keep your lovely thread safe from the spam gremlins by starting a new one. I've unstuck the old one, link below...

This will be the PREPPING thread inspired by this long running thread

and the second one which can be found here

Votes took place here on what this thread is designed primarily for outcome was as follows....

54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome
    11.29% Two threads - one Brexit based politics welcome, one general life based, preferred no politics
    19.35% One thread, no politics please, this is OS
    14.52% I don't honestly mind

So with these differing opinions, please bear this in mind and enjoy the thread Be respectful and enjoy the community. I really hope everyone's happy with the outcome. I tried to be as fair as I could.

Let's not forget the intermittent prepping thread

Guidelines

* All posters are welcome. This thread doesn't "belong" to anyone (not even me )

* Please be nice to all moneysavers

* Let's all draw a line in the sand and move on from previous threads and disagreements etc

* Would love to see new people joining in here and existing posters who have gone quiet for whatever reason

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

Enjoy the new thread Ladels and Jellyspoons. I've made this a sticky to ensure it gets a great start and lots of contribution.

ZIP

From the previous thread, let's not forget how this started - from vanoonoo

I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 43
    • DryTheRain
    • By DryTheRain 10th Apr 19, 5:43 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    DryTheRain
    Mmm good food for thought.. local wholefood place doesn't stock Essential stuff, but they do make their own soup mixes in-house, I wonder if they could be persuaded to do a dhal mix? I could probably make something similar, but sometimes it's nice just to chuck something quick and easy into a pan without thinking too much about it.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Apr 19, 5:48 PM
    • 40,752 Posts
    • 151,151 Thanks
    Pyxis
    My food stores have received a decided boost today, or they will when it arrives, I went into the local wholefoods shop last week to see if they had 'Essential Organics Spicy Dahl Mix' which is the handiest, easiest and tastiest almost instant food I know of. It's a red lentil onion and spice mix and 1 cup of that mixed with 3 cups of water and brought to the boil and simmered for 20 minutes gives a very tasty meal when served with rice, naan breads/chapatis and even mashed potato or chips. They didn't but the lady serving said she'd contact the wholesaler and see if she could track some down for me. This morning when I went back in she'd found she could order me in a pack of six for 2 a go, so 12 gets us the basis of many tasty meals. A little more than 3 cups of water makes a good soup, the dahl itself is lovely plain but you can dress it up with any veg, meat, root veg to ring the changes and it is well worth having in store for an easy option that keeps for a very long time. Yummy stuff, lucky us!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    That dhal sounds nice, and useful!

I had a look online and this place appears to sell it...... 1.99 for 500g, but I don't know what the delivery charge is.

https://www.naturalgrocery.co.uk/organic/Essential-Organic-Spicy-Dhal-Mix
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Apr 19, 6:21 PM
    • 13,203 Posts
    • 181,646 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    D for V the last time I got some from Scoopaway it had been packed in brown paper packaging with a printed label on it and was on the bottom right hand shelf as you walk down the first aisle from the entrance door.

I'm certain that ALL wholefood shops deal with wholesalers and mine certainly has limited display space in a smallish shop unit but if you ask and would be prepared to take a 'pack' of whatever size it comes in they would try to get what you wanted. My little shop here is more than happy to order in for me but if it's not something they have room for or is a bit obscure and they might not be able to sell on the rest they ask if you're prepared to take the whole pack before getting it. I was offered a pack of 6 x 500g packets which I will use in a year and the use by date is usually generous and I've the room for storage so I am very pleased have them.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Apr 19, 8:28 AM
    • 9,107 Posts
    • 30,391 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    There are so many spices, that it takes a time measuring them all out. I have cooked a double batch of sauce and frozen it (you can freeze it before you add the cream or yogurt/cream)
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Since spices age badly left in the open air, I'd batch cook the sauce & freeze it ready to defrost & add yogurt etc.
    The internet varies hugely on whether you can or not freeze spices but I accept the point that condensation makes a mockery of all the hard work.

At Uni, the devout curry fans (in volume, start with laying out all your herbs & spices then deciding how many animals to shop for) went flat out for do it fresh, feed at least thirty & then next weekend it's someone else's turn. They were very sweet about my box of fish fingers, chuckling that Traditional English Comfort Food was definitely "foreign". And being wonderfully polite about diverting my attention as a bottle of some sauce was shaken vigorously over the fish fingers & the bread whisked back into place.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Apr 19, 7:44 AM
    • 9,107 Posts
    • 30,391 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Well well. Someone's been lifting from another site to start a thread 5 Seemingly Non-Essential Items Every Traveller Should Pack - a torch, ziplock bags, universal travel adapter plugs, insect repellent & a backup stash of cash.

I liked the laconic additional suggestion of duct tape - clearly someone has a travel tale or three.

For my amblings around the UK, I find a couple of Bags for Life are as water-resistant and slightly more multipurpose than ziplocks, but I was stunned to see absolutely no mention of Tea!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Apr 19, 8:39 AM
    • 9,107 Posts
    • 30,391 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Am about to test a new form of prepping. Husband has been hybridising Kondo with eBay, and thus has not had the time/energy/intestinal fortitude to cook & we have been eating far too many takeaways/pies/food-for-idle-idiots.

I have (so far unliaterally) decided to hand the two teenagers the job (a) of ensuring their father has something to eat at midday & (b) we all have something for a family supper. Bonus points if it all comes from the cupboards, fridge & freezer.

How else am I to find out if they have the cooking & communication skills required, In The Event of parents being unavailable to indulge them?! Suggestion for websites suited to novices welcome - I will try to wean them onto cookbooks, but let's start with the technology in hand...
    • Zentimes
    • By Zentimes 15th Apr 19, 8:47 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Zentimes
    Lentil dhal is one of my favourite 'quick' meals.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Apr 19, 8:47 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,338 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Pinterest and BBC Good Food are my friends for quick and easy meal planning
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Apr 19, 9:17 AM
    • 13,203 Posts
    • 181,646 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I have just done a little prepping in the garden, I've scattered some Heartsease seeds in all the available areas, apparently once you've got them, you've always got them and just realised they're edible. Love them as flowers, little tiny purple and yellow mini pansies and I'm also going to plant up some pots of Nasturtiums which are edible too and very punchy flavoured like a strong cress. You can eat the flowers and leaves of those and the seed pods can be pickled in vinegar and taste like capers and having grown them in the past once you've got nasturtiums you've always got them, they self seed like the Heartsease.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Apr 19, 11:01 AM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 25,739 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Am about to test a new form of prepping. Husband has been hybridising Kondo with eBay, and thus has not had the time/energy/intestinal fortitude to cook & we have been eating far too many takeaways/pies/food-for-idle-idiots.

I have (so far unliaterally) decided to hand the two teenagers the job (a) of ensuring their father has something to eat at midday & (b) we all have something for a family supper. Bonus points if it all comes from the cupboards, fridge & freezer.

How else am I to find out if they have the cooking & communication skills required, In The Event of parents being unavailable to indulge them?! Suggestion for websites suited to novices welcome - I will try to wean them onto cookbooks, but let's start with the technology in hand...
    Originally posted by DigForVictory

When you reach the introducing them to cookbooks stage . The following Sam Stern Books are good.
    Student Cookbook.
    Real Food Real Fast

Eat Vegetarian
    Cooking Up A Storm

As my offspring flew the nest one or more of those books went with them.
    The student cookbook has some good not typical student recipes so is a good start . Clear instructions and the recipes work!
    They're still available on Am*z*n new and used. Used from sellers are cheap as chips often including postage.
    pollt
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 16th Apr 19, 7:59 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 37,105 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I've had the sort of day which makes me feel that TEOTWAWKI isn't far away! I'm sure I've mentioned at least a thousand times how all the small independent shops in our little town have been vanishing, thanks to a combination of sky-high retail rents and the proximity of a number of edge-of-city retail parks. Today I had to post a couple of parcels, so decided to drop them off at one of the nearby sub-Post Offices en route to somewhere else. Well, it's closed at some point over the last few months whilst I've been mostly out of action. So I went to the other - which has also closed. I tried to put some lots into the local auctioneers, but they're swamped - no space until June. Everyone's Kondoing - or in the auctioneer's words, liquidating - anything that can be sold. And I won't be fit to do much car-booting until late summer.

Our bank is closing at the end of May; most of the others have already gone. We do still have a town centre sub-Post Office, at which we can withdraw cash after queueing for an hour or so, and some ATMs. I know it's a case of "computer says no" because our population is under 10,000 - but we have a suburb that's 7,000, and vast numbers of new houses being whacked up on every side which, if sold (and most of them start at half a million) will take us well over the 10K.

Our roads are in a shocking state. Our nearest A&E is closing & in an emergency in future we'll have to go to the hospital on the other side of the conurbation, half an hour away. Half an hour, that is, when there's no traffic, no roadworks, no lane closures - in other words, it's almost never half an hour! This WILL cost lives.

Support for special needs kids like my neighbour's 13 y.o. autistic son has been slashed. My headmistress niece has spent most of the holidays so far trying frantically to find the "savings" the grubbyment are demanding when her budget is already only half what the school needs. The care system for the elderly is falling apart round here, carers often arriving 2-3 hours late (if at all) because there's no cover for emergencies. They're on minimum wage and having to pay people to mind their kids...

And Sainsbob's Red Label teabags seem to have gone downhill lately too! If there was any doubt in my mind that things really are beginning to fall apart at the seams, that's proof positive... Time to stock the bunker!
    Angie

GC Apr 19 - 388.30/420 "Entertainments" 40/50
    Bulk-buy purse '19 42/250, pet & livestock food '19 69/400

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Apr 19, 9:08 AM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,546 Thanks
    mardatha
    That sounds awful thriftwizard. Maybe better off to live really remote - at least I get a mobile Post Office van that comes twice weekly!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Apr 19, 9:22 AM
    • 31,315 Posts
    • 184,443 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's a lot, thriftwizard ... the auctioneer's words are maybe the most telling in terms of shtf, thats always what happens in slow collapse stories but of course the funding issue, for carers and schools, thats scary.

The Post Office thing is weird. My town was 25,000 people when I got here 8 years ago, now its 35,000. The main post office moved into a shop, but the shop closed,so its temporarily in its own premises again. The village type area I live in lost its sub PO but one opened up in a newsagent shop to replace it. AND there's a *new* subPO opened up by the railway station. Perfect for commuters, as its a commuter town, I guess. But ... when people talk about the extra funding that goes into London and the surrounding commuter belt, this is what they mean, I think
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th Apr 19, 12:52 PM
    • 9,107 Posts
    • 30,391 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Everyone's Kondoing - or in the auctioneer's words, liquidating - anything that can be sold.
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    So, in fact for the first time buyers of furniture etc, or anyone looking to replace something on the point of demise with an affordable & eco-friendly replacement, life is looking good. Just you do wonder why people are converting goods to cash. Some are indeed in thrall to MK. Some want a bit more money in hand to go on holiday with. There are always a few who are finally clearing houses now there's light to drive there & back in. Then there are the fundamentally untrusting who sense things are going sideways & want to be "safe" where cash is king. As in, not actually having too much faith in banks, in case.

My single weathervane for tough times has been how busy the second hand market is. Also the hunting shooting & fishing supplier as BB guns, airsofts & full on shooting tackle all need maintenance & ammo. When things are looking iffy, that shop is discreetly crowded & everyone's paying cash.

Though I have not forgotten one transaction where a car pulled up, a youth hopped out clutching a couple of pheasants & hopped back in with a rattling tin in the cleaner hand. I presumed this was a pre-negotiated transaction where in exchange for a handsome evening meal, the shooting household got some additional ammo. I still grin faintly at how might that have been recorded.

From the texts I gather a son has inadvertently wiped the phone he wanted to update. Should I presume you have every number on your phone backed up to paper somewhere?! I foresee Easter including a lot of call & repeat numbers as we get him back up & running...
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 17th Apr 19, 1:31 PM
    • 3,959 Posts
    • 7,478 Thanks
    culpepper
    Looking at youtube for camping car info , it turns out many of the pension age in the USA are selling all and moving into vehicles. I wonder if the same would be repeated here. I think it would be much harder because here, there is no native american land to camp on free but it has to be the ultimate downsize in a long term emergency situation.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 17th Apr 19, 4:29 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 37,105 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Looking at youtube for camping car info , it turns out many of the pension age in the USA are selling all and moving into vehicles. I wonder if the same would be repeated here. I think it would be much harder because here, there is no native american land to camp on free but it has to be the ultimate downsize in a long term emergency situation.
    Originally posted by culpepper
    Not to mention that our climate is somewhat - soggier & cooler - than the Sun Belt, where many of them head for the winter. My cousin regularly goes Over The Pond, hires an RV for a few months and joins them, but beats a hasty retreat back to Blighty every time a Texan widow latches onto him...
    Angie

GC Apr 19 - 388.30/420 "Entertainments" 40/50
    Bulk-buy purse '19 42/250, pet & livestock food '19 69/400

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 18th Apr 19, 7:58 AM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 8,094 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I've had the sort of day which makes me feel that TEOTWAWKI isn't far away! I'm sure I've mentioned at least a thousand times how all the small independent shops in our little town have been vanishing, thanks to a combination of sky-high retail rents and the proximity of a number of edge-of-city retail parks. Today I had to post a couple of parcels, so decided to drop them off at one of the nearby sub-Post Offices en route to somewhere else. Well, it's closed at some point over the last few months whilst I've been mostly out of action. So I went to the other - which has also closed. I tried to put some lots into the local auctioneers, but they're swamped - no space until June. Everyone's Kondoing - or in the auctioneer's words, liquidating - anything that can be sold. And I won't be fit to do much car-booting until late summer.

Our bank is closing at the end of May; most of the others have already gone. We do still have a town centre sub-Post Office, at which we can withdraw cash after queueing for an hour or so, and some ATMs. I know it's a case of "computer says no" because our population is under 10,000 - but we have a suburb that's 7,000, and vast numbers of new houses being whacked up on every side which, if sold (and most of them start at half a million) will take us well over the 10K.

Our roads are in a shocking state. Our nearest A&E is closing & in an emergency in future we'll have to go to the hospital on the other side of the conurbation, half an hour away. Half an hour, that is, when there's no traffic, no roadworks, no lane closures - in other words, it's almost never half an hour! This WILL cost lives.

Support for special needs kids like my neighbour's 13 y.o. autistic son has been slashed. My headmistress niece has spent most of the holidays so far trying frantically to find the "savings" the grubbyment are demanding when her budget is already only half what the school needs. The care system for the elderly is falling apart round here, carers often arriving 2-3 hours late (if at all) because there's no cover for emergencies. They're on minimum wage and having to pay people to mind their kids...

And Sainsbob's Red Label teabags seem to have gone downhill lately too! If there was any doubt in my mind that things really are beginning to fall apart at the seams, that's proof positive... Time to stock the bunker!
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Something I have been wondering for years is how this country can be so poor when it is ranked either the fourth or sixth largest economy in the world (depending on who is measuring) and, therefore, deemed to be rich. I don't get it. There is rarely sufficient cash around to maintain our infrastructure, let alone invest in more/better; compared to the rest of the world, people aren't well paid; your average taxpayer pays over a quarter of their salary as tax (income tax plus 12.5% NI), so where the hell is the money going? Even the so-called "well paid" are drowning in debt and struggling to keep a roof over their heads.

I just don't get it. I'm not trying to spark a political debate, I just want to understand.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • jk0
    • By jk0 18th Apr 19, 8:00 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 26,370 Thanks
    jk0
    Something I have been wondering for years is how this country can be so poor when it is ranked either the fourth or sixth largest economy in the world (depending on who is measuring) and, therefore, deemed to be rich. I don't get it. There is rarely sufficient cash around to maintain our infrastructure, let alone invest in more/better; compared to the rest of the world, people aren't well paid; your average taxpayer pays over a quarter of their salary as tax (income tax plus 12.5% NI), so where the hell is the money going? Even the so-called "well paid" are drowning in debt and struggling to keep a roof over their heads.

I just don't get it. I'm not trying to spark a political debate, I just want to understand.

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane

Could be the 31 billion we send to the EU?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Apr 19, 9:43 AM
    • 31,315 Posts
    • 184,443 Thanks
    Karmacat

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Could be the 31 billion we send to the EU?
    Originally posted by jk0
    I think it's much more likely that it's due to the centralisation of the country's capital in the hands of the top 3% - 5%.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Apr 19, 4:42 PM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,546 Thanks
    mardatha
    Spot on KC!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,341Posts Today

7,031Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin