Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 25th Nov 18, 12:50 PM
    • 374Posts
    • 4,131Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Frugal until 60!
    • 25th Nov 18, 12:50 PM
    Frugal until 60! 25th Nov 18 at 12:50 PM
    Well here I am again after some tumultuous years in which I tried to start a diary twice and gave up quickly. I think the problem was that I wasn't writing for myself but now I'm just going to plonk down my ramblings and see what occurs!

My DS has emigrated to Australia (it's been 2 years) and my DD is in her first year of a Geography Degree so I am on my own most of the time. I miss both of them but I've got the 3 cats and 1 Yorkie at home so it's not lonely. Added to which I've a lovely and loyal circle of friends so all in all I feel blessed.

On the not so great side I had a nervous breakdown last year and left teaching in April 2018 having been victimised by a rather unique individual shall we say. Have picked myself up and gone back to a career in HR but at a vastly reduced salary as I've stated all over again near the bottom. Added to that the CSA money which used to boost myself and DD naturally came to an end. Not complaining about that as it was foreseeable and fair, however, I am down by over 800 pcm!!!!

So my budget is squeaky to say the least and I'm struggling keeping it all on track.

I owe my savings 369 and it will take me 3 and a half months to pay it back to myself. I promised myself I wouldn't dip below 5,000 and am very cross with myself. I view this as debt to myself as that 5k is only supposed to be for genuine emergencies.

Will post my SOA later!! I know I can live perfectly well on what I have but need to keep motivated and aware of every penny I'm spending otherwise it'll all go to a very fiery place in a wheelbarrow!!!!
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund 4000, Penny a day ***, mortgage overpayment this month ***
Page 3
    • Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 13th Dec 18, 7:13 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Hello DME and thank you for your lovely comments and advice. My DD called today and we are both really excited!! She will be really tired but we will get an early night. It'll just be wonderful to see her.

Today was a spendy day which confirmed that my careful budgeting is working. I got a penalty charge for the five seconds I spent lost in a bus lane and had to fork out 30. Very irritating indeed!! However, I took it out of my monthly forseeable expenses so it's all good.

I also needed to buy DD a small cabin suitcase and as she'll be using it for at least three years of Uni I got one for 24.99 which was slightly better quality. She has collected it from her local Arg** and is delighted with it.

On somewhat less spendy news I won a lovely cuddly bear yesterday so I'm going to give it as an extra gift to DD as she misses her animals. She can have something to hug!

Tomorrow is a dress down day so its time to wear my trusty Christmas jumper. We have a free Christmas lunch for all staff once the learners have gone and it'll be a really nice way to relax. As I left teaching this year it will be the first Christmas week off that I dont have to do any work in. Total bliss!

I hope you have a lovely evening and all your money saving is going well folks! xx

• angela110660
    • By angela110660 24th Jan 19, 8:44 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    angela110660
    Hope you are well - no posts for a while?
    Free films - 2009: saw 7 films. 2010 saw 7 films. 2011 saw 7 films. 2012 saw 5 films;2013 saw 7 films; 2014 and 2015 saw 1 in each. Nothing since!
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 7th Feb 19, 3:53 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 71,466 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Time, life and things to do are neverending - no posts, no updates?

Is everything fine in the land of Hopefuljoy?
    Is life treating you well?
    • liselle
    • By liselle 28th Feb 19, 8:05 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    liselle
    Yes are you ok?
    • Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 5th Apr 19, 2:49 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Thank you to all of you for your enquiries after me. I am alive and kicking but life has dealt me a few blows recently and I wandered off to lick my wounds a bit.

My DD and DS are both healthy and well thankfully. However, since January my DearMums (DMs) health has deteriorated and she and we are reeling from it. She has IPF which is a cruel and terminal lung condition and has entered her fifth year with it. Up to now she was doing so well but she had a fall just after Christmas and this seems to have caused a flare up. No bones were broken thank goodness but her breathing is so much worse, she has blood clots in her legs and lungs and they've now discovered her heart arteries are blocked and she has leaking valves.

It's all very upsetting and she has been really scared. She refused to take antibiotics for an infection for four days and it developed into something bordering on sepsis! She's on oral antibiotics now but is not eating very well. The next six months are going to be very tough for her but we are all pulling together and live in the same town. My Dad is finding it all rather appalling so we are supporting him as well.

Coupled with that my job was moved one and a half hours commute away and I tried it for a month. It didn't work out at all with my depression and wanting to care for my parents so I found another position in a local place. It looks like a lovely job and it starts next Monday but it's on less money! Really, you couldn't make the ast 12 months up as far as jobs and mental illness go!

So here I am again, still keeping as positive as possible but less inclined to put a false gloss on everything.

I've just polished off my budget and I will need to raid my savings to get me though the next month and a half while pay days even themselves out. I expect they will ultimately dip below 4k which I hate but they are there for a rainy day after all. I have no plans for holidays and will spend the remainder of this year building my fund back up to 5k.

In far better news I have started sewing after five years of holding back from buying a machine. I start my first project this weekend, a long length cotton summer skirt in a royal purple colour. I am terrified of making the first cut into the material!

I hope to see some of you soon and that your lives are going well for you. x

• Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 5th Apr 19, 9:30 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Update having done YNAB this afternoon. Tomorrow I will be paying 175 for my second car service and after that the intervals should get much further apart as I shall be walking to walk.

I've noticed that petrol has gone up by 5p per litre at the cheapest garage around here so I'm really pleased I won't be filling up so much. I've allocated 12 per week in my budget going forward.

Prices for everything seem to be creeping up so I'm also cutting down on meat and fish and will be supplementing with lentils, beans and pulses which I've never cooked with before. I'm digging out my second hand copy of the GH Vegetarian cookbook tomorrow to give me ideas.

The 'save the planet diet' which was featured on the BBC website looks quite interesting. It's not for losing weight thank goodness as I am doomed to failure on any kind of diet! From what I can see it is remarkably similar to WW2 rationing. If anyone is interested I will copy the details of what to eat and how much you need per week in here tomorrow.

It also fits in with the need to eat 30g fibre per day to protect against cancer and heart disease which is all to the good.

I have worked out that by the end of this month I will have gone over budget by 105, added to which I may owe my former employer some money as I left slightly earlier than intended. So as well as rebuilding my 'life raft' fund I will also need to claw back in my budget.

It can be done but it's a bit bleurgh!

Anyway, I am bracing myself for DD going back to University tomorrow to revise for her first year exams. It's the right thing for her to do but neither of us really likes it! She is 7 hours away by car and 9 hours by coach! Thank goodness for fB and mess**ger.

We had a wonderful evening with two friends who have become like an aunt and uncle to DD tonight which really cheered us up. Delicious food and great conversation followed by cuddles with two of our three cats and Mr P the Yorkie!

Nite nite all and have a lovely evening.

• D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 6th Apr 19, 10:34 AM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 71,466 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Good to see you're well but shame about your DM's setback - let's hope she responds to the antibiotics now she has succumbed to taking them.
    • Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 6th Apr 19, 9:05 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Hello DME and thank you! She seems to be getting stronger each day so we are more and more hopeful.

Today was a bit spendy as I had the car serviced. 169.99 has flown out of my account and it looks as though I have to buy one front tyre so I'm researching tomorrow. Going to move the spare wheel to the front to replace one tyre, move one front one into the boot as it still has plenty of tread and then replace the damaged one. On the plus side they were dead impressed with the lack of wear and tear on the brake pads. I try not to use them!

I also went to the cinema with my Father using my cineworld card so I was free and he paid for himself. Fisherman's Friends is a lovely film. It had everything you could ever want, romance, humour, great storyline, tears and laughter! Dad loved it as we have strong Cornish roots so it was a great choice all round. He's 86 and still going strong!

A tea with friends before that cost me 2 and I used a McD monopoly voucher to get free tea to take into the film. Lunch was 10 out of my monthly treats budget and I used an O2 voucher to get my main course.

All the spends were planned and fit in with my tight budgeting this month although if I was really strict I wouldn't have gone out for lunch.

Tomorrow I meet my Sunday morning friends for a tea at a well known cafe and that will be the end of treats until next Sunday.

It's been lovely to distract myself today as DD has gone back to University to revise for her summer exams. It feels horribly quiet without her here, even the animals are a bit subdued.

It's food shopping day tomorrow so I will be off to L1dl with a proper list! Will let you know how I get on with my quest to eat according to the Planetary Diet.

• Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 7th Apr 19, 9:03 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Well the Lidl shop never happened as I went locally instead. The total bill for the week came to 15.84 so I've got a few pounds left over for milk and bread later in the week.

Was very pleased this evening as I won 2 months Unlimited K1nd1e with my McD vouchers! As I read about six books a week and usually get them from the library this is great! Mind you I start my new job at the library tomorrow as well so it will be doubly great!

Visited my Mum and she is doing much much better. Its so lovely to see her more chirpy and strong. Me and my middle sister are now on a cleaning rota and we're making Easter lunch for Mum and Dad. It'll be lovely!

My DS and I chatted and he's doing well in Australia. They are planning to have a baby so I'm hoping I will be a Granny before long. I can't believe he is 25 this year and been married for three years!

Today I had an unexpected spend as DD needed a book for her Uni course. 22.99 so I have taken that out of my savings as money is squeaky tight this month. My final spend was to send her 40 to help with food until I get paid on 25th. That was planned for and on my pay day I will send her 60 for food for May. She is a real fan as she's seen much it's helped me.

I'm off to bed now having prepped my meals for tomorrow and checked the underwear situation!!

Have a good week everyone.

• Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 8th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    First day at my new job and I loved It! The team are lovely and very welcoming. I also saw my parents today and had good chats with them.

Several of my friends sent good luck texts so I felt very supported. Very tired so I'm off to bed early.

• D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 9th Apr 19, 1:41 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 71,466 Thanks
    D_M_E
    A good, supportive team is a real bonus in a new job - long may it continue. Sounds like you could make some new friends there.

Good result on the local shop, this also saves on the cost of getting to the likes of Lidl, means more hidden savings.

Always good to hear about close ones recuperating, this in itself is enough to lighten your day.
    • Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 13th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Hello one and all and I hope you're all having a good weekend. Life here has been bust but good and I've now got my first a week in the new job under my belt.

The people are really positive and friendly and the job is varied and calm. Basically I feel happy to have made the move and that's been reflected in better sleep and money management. When I'm stressed my budgets do go to pot a bit!

In MSE news I've won two free meals on the McDonald's monopoly and cashed one of them today for breakfast on my way to see Shazam at the cinema. I pay for a monthly card and use it often! For anyone thinking of going it was a great film. Entertaining and well worth it.

I've also won a N TV package for two months on top of my DDs one and my Unlimited 2 months so I've done well.

Working in the library means I can rent films for free and also get books out without the danger of fines. That's a good thing for me as I have forgotten books before. No excuse now though!

I seem to have lost about five pounds in weight as well whichcks surprised and delighted with. Part of it is standing and moving all day and the rest must be the Save the Planet food I'm eating. The list below is everything we are recommended to eat so the Planet can support 10billion people. I bought everything except the fish and meat today and it came to 17.82 at L1d1. I have fish in the freezer and have already eaten my red meat for the coming week so just need to get some chicken tomorrow.

350g nuts = 50g per day<br>
    525 beans, legumes and lentils = 75g per day<br>
    196g fish = 28g per day<br>
    1.5 eggs per week<br>
    98g meat = 14g per day<br>
    209g chicken = 29g per day<br>
    1635g carbs brown = 232g per day<br>
    350g starchy veg = 50g per day<br>
    Vegetables 2100g = 300g per day<br>
    1750g dairy = 250g per day milk and yoghurt <br>
    1400g fruit = 200g per day<br>
    217g sugar = 31g per day<br>
    350g oils = 50g per day<br>

You can make loads of recipes with the above and it gives a total of 30g fibre per day as well. I am trialling it for a month.

My Mum is back on antibiotics for a chest infection which is not such good news. The cardiologist has.inssited sheb has another ultrasound next week. We've shared out the housework between the three of us sister's so she and Dad don't need to worry anymore but we generally feel helpless as a family. We will help her enjoy herself as much as she can and continue to givr her oodles of kindness and gentleness.

I hope your MSE missions are all going well.

• Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 14th Apr 19, 12:11 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Happy Sunday chums! I am sitting happily St**rbu*ks having my weekly cup of tea. In the MSE spirit I have one large one and ask for one teabag on the side and then go up for a free refill with the spare later.

A couple of friends and I have planned a short and very MSE camping trip for the end of the month and I'm quite excited.

We will be take most of our meals as we have a fridge, the site costs 12 for the night per person and we have our Natty Trust cards to get into everything for free! One meal will be out at a nice local pub and I've budgeted 25 for that and teas out for the two days.

Tonight one of my DSis comes round for a meal and movie on Prime. She's job searching at the moment after redundancy and she's finally interested in my MSE ways!!! My hope is that she can get a lovely local job and have an easier life as she's had it quite tough for the last decade with lots of serious health issues. All resolved now but they've taken their toll on her.

In final 'news' I'm finishing the 'sewing' room aka tiny third bedroom today and starting my first sewing adventure! I can't wait to let you know how it does or doesn't get on!! I'm aiming for a maxi skirt but might end up with a tea towel!!

Have a lovely Sunday and I hope the sun is shining on you!

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Apr 19, 1:49 PM
    • 8,372 Posts
    • 19,183 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    You seem to have had a lot going on over the last few months but I love your positive attitude. Sorry about your DMs health. Worrying as your parents get older isn't it? I spent last week with my DM and SD who are now mid 80s and get frailer each time I see them as they live 250 miles away so I only see them every few months now they cannot get down here to Cornwall.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 14th Apr 19, 2:41 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Thank you enthusiasticsaver . There has indeed been a lot on and I agree, it's very hard seeing parents get more frail. I have found it very hard to adjust to and there have been some dark times for them and for us. I personally think one of the most important things is to let them know how well they have done raising us, even if that involves a bit of glossing over! Obviously for some it's not appropriate or right for them to pretend if there's been serious issues lime abuse and I'd never suggest that but it gives my mum peace and satisfaction to hear only positive things and all three of us daughters are happy to do that for her and Dad.

I'm sorry your parents are so far away from you. I'm sure you get to see them as much as you can. My grown up children and I use messenger to FaceTime each other. I wonder if they could master that. I know Barclays will train older folk for free if there's a beach nearby. Local libraries usually offer training as well. It might make all the difference. x

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Apr 19, 7:30 PM
    • 8,372 Posts
    • 19,183 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I'm sorry your parents are so far away from you. I'm sure you get to see them as much as you can. My grown up children and I use messenger to FaceTime each other. I wonder if they could master that. I know Barclays will train older folk for free if there's a beach nearby. Local libraries usually offer training as well. It might make all the difference. x
    Originally posted by Hopefuljoy
    My mum has an ipad but struggles with facetime so we make do with phone calls and my daily words with friends (a form of online scrabble) which she enjoys and keeps her brain fresh. My stepdad has dementia and hearing problems so conversation is difficult to say the least.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 16th Apr 19, 3:28 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 71,466 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Have you considered installing Skype on mum's Ipad - may work better than Facetime?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,486Posts Today

7,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin