Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ader1
    • By Ader1 25th Nov 18, 7:45 AM
    • 394Posts
    • 54Thanks
    Ader1
    Scaffolding next door causing damage
    • 25th Nov 18, 7:45 AM
    Scaffolding next door causing damage 25th Nov 18 at 7:45 AM
    Hi,

My property is a mid-terraced property. It appears that the property next door is having their chimney I would say repaired. Anyway, the guys who have erected the scaffolding have used my front door and upstairs window as kind of anchors for the scaffolding. I was a little unhappy as I wasn't asked for my permission but I was just going to let it go. However, their scaffolding is causing a little damage to the paint-work around my window and door. And who knows if any damage is being done to my roof which is also being used as a kind of 'anchor' for the scaffolding. I have only had a new roof installed some 4 years ago. How should I deal with this situation in a legal manner? I don't see why I should have to rectify damage to my property carried out by someone else. The property next door is a bed-sit and I don't know who the land-lord is. But I think that this is probably down to the scaffolders. A pic to follow.
Page 2
    • Ader1
    • By Ader1 25th Nov 18, 6:11 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Ader1
    I spoke to a neighbour today and he says the building company doing the work on this chimney is also the same company that erected the scaffolding. The owner of the company isn't a principled kind of fellow I was told. The chimney to my property is on the other side of the house. I had it repaired 3 years ago along with re-tiling my roof. Thank you for all of your replies so far. Who is ultimately to blame? The absent neighbour or the scaffolder/builder?
    • missile
    • By missile 25th Nov 18, 6:21 PM
    • 10,014 Posts
    • 5,084 Thanks
    missile
    Your claim is against your neighbour, who in turn claims off his contractor(s). Do you have legal cover included with your house insurance?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Ader1
    • By Ader1 16th Apr 19, 8:20 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Ader1
    The scaffolding is still up. I've now been onto the local council who have been in touch with the scaffolder who keeps telling them he is about to complete the work but doesn't do anything. I've asked them to now give him a new permit when it's up for renewal. The lady I spoke to said that they can't do that. I'm not sure what to do now. The scaffolding as been up for almost 6 months and nothing is being done.
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 17th Apr 19, 7:55 AM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 13,304 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    Six MONTHS - for a simple chimney repair! They are having a laugh

In your shoes, I would be having that scaffolding taken down today, pile it in the garden of the house they are (supposedly) working on and start a small claims action against the company for the costs of removal and repairing the damage to your property.

Your neighbour is spot on - this is not a "principled" man. I invite you to post up a picture of his business sign or alternatively, get on to your local newspaper who frequently relish this kind of local colour/titbit. Name and shame, in other words.

SIX MONTHS! I can't get my head around the contempt for you implicit in that number!
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 17th Apr 19, 8:25 AM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 2,766 Thanks
    Mistral001
    They were wrong not to ask your permission, but you have to bear in mind you are probably going to get a benefit from the work done by fixing the chimney as the chimney is on the party wall, especially if they have repointed the whole chimney and not just the chimney on your neighbours side of the chimney.
    • Ader1
    • By Ader1 17th Apr 19, 4:57 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Ader1
    They were wrong not to ask your permission, but you have to bear in mind you are probably going to get a benefit from the work done by fixing the chimney as the chimney is on the party wall, especially if they have repointed the whole chimney and not just the chimney on your neighbours side of the chimney.
    Originally posted by Mistral001

I had to have my chimney done around 4 years ago which is on the other end of the house. It too around 2 days to complete and the scaffolding didn't encroach on anybody else's property. I paid for it and in fact, it was leaking into the neighbour's property which is a caf!. I don't remember the details but the repair bill fell on me as the chimney 'serviced' mostly dormant fireplaces in my property. I spoke to the council again today and the person I spoke to said he was going to phone the scaffolder and request a date for when the work would be completed. He was going to call me back....which he didn't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

954Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin