Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 21st Nov 18, 3:36 PM
    • 3,399Posts
    • 12,859Thanks
    Emzilla
    Very Scary Times......
    • 21st Nov 18, 3:36 PM
    Very Scary Times...... 21st Nov 18 at 3:36 PM
    Hi everyone

I've been thinking about whether to start a new diary for a little while now, but decided it would be good to have somewhere to write about everything that's happening at the moment. I've been on these boards for a long time and have got friends on here, even if I haven't been posting that regularly this past year.

So, as some people will know, I've got Cystic Fibrosis. I've had a bit of a bad year health wise and have been on oxygen since May. I became ill around the middle of October and was admitted to the high dependency unit in hospital.

Things got very bad, so bad that they had "the conversation" with me about the very real possibility that I wouldn't make it. It looked very bleak for a day or so, but I gradually improved. Basically, my lungs were struggling to get rid of the Co2 and they were slowly getting poisoned. I was on a Bipap machine (to help me breathe) pretty much 24/7, with just 30 minutes off it so I could eat and drink. They eventually weaned me off the machine during the day and I was just using it at night.

I spent about 1.5 weeks on HDU and then another week on my usual ward before they let me go home. It has been agreed that I need a lung transplant as my lungs just aren't coping as well as they were. I'm on quite a bit of oxygen now, which is still allowing me to get out and about, and I'm using the Bipap at night, to try and avoid getting into that state again. I've been for my first assessment for the transplant at Harefield in London, and I'm waiting for my overnight assessment appointment, which will be at some point in January. After that, I will hopefully be on the transplant waiting list.

It's all very very scary, but I'm just glad that I'm still here at the moment!! The name of the game now is just keeping myself as healthy as possible so that I can get my transplant and some shiny new lungs!!

I've been off sick from work for just over a month, and I suspect I will be off sick until I've had my transplant and recovered from it. Not great for the bank account, but my health is more important than money. I'm on SSP right now, which is better than nothing.

Now that I'm out of hospital, I'm going to try and do some extra bits online to bring in a few pennies. Don't worry though!! I won't do too much and it'll just be things online when I'm just watching TV or doing my nebulisers. My health is my ultimate priority and I won't do anything stupid to jeopardise it.

Emz xx
Page 8
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 15th May 19, 1:28 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 12,859 Thanks
    Emzilla
    So we got our new sofa today. We ordered it a while ago (OH got it with some PPI money). It's from M&S and we got 40% off and then my staff discount off on top of that. It's a lovely sofa, problem is it's massive!! It's currently taking up so much room. I'm hoping we can shift some more stuff around when OH gets home tonight to fit it in better.

It's been pretty good on the money making front since I last posted. I've done just over £8 worth of Prolific surveys and about £6 worth on Panelbase.

I've also had a phone call from a mystery shopping company and have a last minute home delivery job where I'll get £35 worth of free shopping

Emz xx
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 15th May 19, 3:15 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 2,955 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    You are absolutely on a roll lately. Amazing work!
    Debt Totals May 2019::
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,250 £500 train ticket loan from parents / Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18) £2,000 Overdraft Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £1,396.76
    Total £9,146.76
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th May 19, 5:56 PM
    • 63,146 Posts
    • 277,544 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy new sofa.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 16th May 19, 3:22 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 12,859 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Got my mystery shop done and have now got a lovely full freezer . I've been a bit busy today doing a few favours for my sister and I'm now round my mum's, but I have managed to do around £4 worth of surveys on Prolific.

Will be watching the football tonight - Play Up Pompey!!

Emz xx

ETA - Just redeemed for a £5 Amazon voucher on Swagbucks too
    Last edited by Emzilla; 16-05-2019 at 3:40 PM.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 16th May 19, 3:28 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 2,761 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Right result there with the free shopping
    "The harder you work for something, the greater you’ll feel when you achieve it"
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 16th May 19, 3:35 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 12,859 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Right result there with the free shopping
    Originally posted by SSDD23
    Thanks - should feed us for at least the next week or so

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 17th May 19, 4:56 AM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 12,859 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Early start today as I had cramp in my foot - ouch!! Couldn't get back to sleep after that, so have been up since 5am.

Rubbish result with the football last night - still annoyed about it

Harefield called me late afternoon yesterday with the results of their discussion about me. I am suitable to go on the transplant list (ie, my medical tests were all fine and my body is strong enough to withstand the operation etc), however they have looked at my improved lung function and weight gain (when I was referred to them a year ago, my lung function was 15% and my weight was 7st 7lbs - now I'm at 30% and 9st 10lbs) and said they want to see me again in 3 months to see how I am doing. 30% lung function is the borderline when they start thinking about transplant, so if I can get it up to the mid 30s, they might leave me be for now

Oh, and I've just requested a payout from Topcashback that I didn't realise was in my account. I'm waiting until everything comes through until I start my running total up though.

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 18th May 19, 4:45 AM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 12,859 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Up early again. I'm sleeping fine, I think it's just the light mornings now waking me up earlier. Problem is once I'm wide awake, I just want to get on and do things, so I get up.

I'm off to Marwell Zoo today with my niece, nephew, sister and BIL. It's my niece's birthday on Monday, so she's doing all the fun stuff this weekend. Hoping for good weather

I got off the starting blocks officially yesterday with a £5 Amazon voucher from Answerpoints (had to chase it though as I requested it 2 months ago). So I'm at £5/£1,000 - £995 to go

Done a load of other surveys yesterday, so payouts should start coming in over the next week or two.

Have a good Saturday everyone.

Emz xx
    £1,000 challenge - Started on 14/05/19 - £5/£1,000
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th May 19, 7:00 AM
    • 10,461 Posts
    • 36,786 Thanks
    jwil
    You've done amazingly well with your weight and lung function

Have a lovely day
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 19th May 19, 7:03 AM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 12,859 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Was pretty much out all day yesterday. I've forgotten how much walking is involved with visiting a zoo!! I managed okay, even if my oxygen ran out on the way back to the car (had another in the boot, so it was fine). So I got home from there late afternoon, did my meds and then we went bowling (I came second ) with some friends and didn't get back until around midnight. So I was a bit knackered yesterday.

Today my niece is going to the cinema with her friends. She wants to go on her own (ie, no adults), but my sister is going to hang around and look around the shops, so I said I'd keep her company. Then we're going to my mum's this afternoon so my niece can open some of her birthday presents, as she's at school tomorrow and my mum won't see her then.

I didn't get any money making done yesterday, but I have just managed to reach my first Swagbucks target this morning before the cut-off time, so I can still get a 14 day streak going for this month (100 SB bonus).

Emz xx
    £1,000 challenge - Started on 14/05/19 - £5/£1,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,814Posts Today

7,086Users online

Martin's Twitter