Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Nov 18, 10:14 AM
    • 11,368Posts
    • 77,893Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.
    • 11th Nov 18, 10:14 AM
    Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget. 11th Nov 18 at 10:14 AM
    Can it be done.

Well I have decided I am going to give it a jolly good try.

And I invite you to join me....Please share your tips, experiences, deals, bargains.

For those who don't know me.....a little background.

I am a widow, aged 67. My husband died four years ago after a long illness which wrecked our finances and which changed my financial landscape, hopefully not forever. I am working on it.

At one point I thought I would have to go bankrupt but with the help of Martin Lewis (All Hail) and the collective knowledge, wisdom and support of the lovely people on these boards I pulled myself back from the abyss and am now financially stable.

Not rich but I have "enough".

Now a confession ........although I am very content to live a simple and now thankfully stress free life I do have a penchant for a little luxury.....and .........before I get too old and decrepit, its time for some fun. Time to finally reap the benefit of all my hard work.

I have just moved house. It's a money pit and I love it. Doing up old houses is my idea of fun. I love rescuing old wrecks and turning them into elegant, comfortable homes and then when I sell ........hopefully they end up a profitable investment.

I did well on the last one, which I bankrolled and project managed.i gave all the profits to my son who put in all the sweat equity and hours of back breaking work. I was happy just to break even on that one and give him a leg up.

However .......as we all know "all work and no play makes Jill a very dull girl". So, whilst I am fully committed to making this new house a stunner And hopefully make a nice little profit I want to

a) do it on a tight budget and
    b) not put my life on hold in the process this time.

So......my plan is to live off my income of 12,000 and use some of my capital as my war chest for the renovations and hopefully at some point start up a small sideline business. No idea what yet.

So how to streeeeeetch that 12k, until, in the words of one of our dear chancellors, I think it was Nigel Lawson ....."the pips squeak". How to extract every ounce of luxury and fun.

I am in the process of reviewing my budget. This is always an ongoing process for me. I am constantly refining my budget to make the most of what I have. Sounds a bit anal but I do it at least once a month.

This week I had to change my mobile phone but although I now have to pay an additional 5 per month I am happy with the deal. I also have to take my car in for what I hope will be a minor repair.

My car is getting on a bit and so far has cost me peanuts to run but it's on notice. If it starts getting too expensive then its days are numbered. I can live without a car if I have to, at least as a short term measure. We have good transport links here. I have a free bus pass and a senior railcard. A taxi into the city centre is reasonable.

I have good practical skills, love charity shops, and make most of my own lotions and potions.

What I really need to do is learn now is how to get the fabulous entertainment, hotel and travel deals that I know are out there. As a solo there is often a premium to pay for the privilege of travelling alone......

So now it begins......my quest for a champagne lifestyle......

I am sooooooo worth it. Lol.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 11-11-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Page 56
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 32,244 Thanks
    caronc
    You sound amazingly organised CARONC
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I wish that were the case

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Apr 19, 8:35 PM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 45,058 Thanks
    joedenise
    Sounds like the perfect capsule wardrobe.

One day I shall be a minimalist. I'm working on it. My aim is to have a perfectly edited and curated wardrobe of clothes that I adore and that make me feel like a million dollars.

As I ditch all my old clothes when they get too big I am going to be very selective about what I buy to replace them.

I did read somewhere that most people actually have far more clothes than is necessary and that they wear about 20 percent of their clothes 80 per cent of the time.I do now believe that "less is more". I am not going to just wantonly dispose of 80 percent of my wardrobe but I definitely won't be buying as much in future.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I wouldn't say that! Your final paragraph is probably more accurate! I live in jeans/cords with t-shirts and jumper or fleece about 95% of the time.

A lot of my wardrobe doesn't get worn much at all, particularly dresses as they only get worn when we're on holiday in a warm country so that's only a couple of weeks a year.

Denise
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Apr 19, 12:45 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 19,283 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I got that 250 cheque in the post today. It was a refund for the treatment I paid for at the Chinese herbalists. I will put that in the bank tomorrow.

I'm off out tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing the band and having a meal out and it's such a lovely sunny day as well.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 17th Apr 19, 1:09 PM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 45,058 Thanks
    joedenise
    Enjoy your outing to see the band and your meal.

It's a lovely day here too.

Denise
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 18th Apr 19, 9:22 AM
    • 11,368 Posts
    • 77,893 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning

Champagne moments today..........Just had a leisurely breakfast and coffee, sitting in my sunny bay window thinking about my day. Going into the city centre later to meet DIL for coffee and a catch up, and a few cuddles with my grandson. Will go in slightly early and potter about, maybe have a chazzer shop mooch.

Need to start looking for smaller clothes. . My weight loss is really starting to show now and I've already dropped a dress size so it won't be long before I will need the next size down. Wahoo.

Well the weather is set fair for the weekend. I shall be out and about, seeing friends and family, being wined and dined. A visit to chatsworth at some point.

Good times ahead.....

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Happy Easter to one and all.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 18th Apr 19, 12:19 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 12,888 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Well done on the dropping-a-dress-size Lessonlearned! I know just how fantastic that feels!

I was feeling VERY un-champagne-like this morning...not only was it a lemonade day...but a FLAT lemonade day!(or as I see it ...an own-brand value-label instant-coffee sort of day!)...and I had to go out and buy a half-dozen eggs...the girl at the till was not one I know well, but she has served me before...and after scanning the egg-box and taking the cash she looked at me and said "WOW you are just fading away...how much have you lost now?...you are SUCH an inspiration!"...it brightened up the morning no end to hear that!

And as for coffee...I had ordered a new supply...the parcel arrived...and the company included a free gift of 10 individual sachets of 'instant' coffee for me to sample...so I will have 10 decent cups for free!...definitely a champagne moment!

The weather is brightening up...won't be long before I will be able to push the wheeled walker into the communal garden and enjoy a coffee outdoors.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 18th Apr 19, 2:26 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 19,283 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I bought some new shoes and bought a few "new" things at the chazzer. I bought some new beauty products from Superdrug.

It is lovely and sunny today. It was so nice coming back home from London last night and only wearing a thin cardigan as it was so mild.

Enjoy your outing to see the band and your meal.
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Thanks. I did have a great time.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Apr 19, 3:28 PM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 45,058 Thanks
    joedenise
    Good morning

Champagne moments today..........Just had a leisurely breakfast and coffee, sitting in my sunny bay window thinking about my day. Going into the city centre later to meet DIL for coffee and a catch up, and a few cuddles with my grandson. Will go in slightly early and potter about, maybe have a chazzer shop mooch.

Need to start looking for smaller clothes. . My weight loss is really starting to show now and I've already dropped a dress size so it won't be long before I will need the next size down. Wahoo.

Well the weather is set fair for the weekend. I shall be out and about, seeing friends and family, being wined and dined. A visit to chatsworth at some point.

Good times ahead.....

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Happy Easter to one and all.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    That's brilliant LL. Nothing better than dropping a dress size and you can't beat getting 'new' clothes from the CS!

Great weather forecast for which I'm really pleased as meeting up with DD2 for the weekend. We're going in our motorhome and she's going to be in her caravan, along with her partner and his children. It will be good to see the children again as not seen them since just before Christmas.

Have a great weekend too.

Well done on the dropping-a-dress-size Lessonlearned! I know just how fantastic that feels!

I was feeling VERY un-champagne-like this morning...not only was it a lemonade day...but a FLAT lemonade day!(or as I see it ...an own-brand value-label instant-coffee sort of day!)...and I had to go out and buy a half-dozen eggs...the girl at the till was not one I know well, but she has served me before...and after scanning the egg-box and taking the cash she looked at me and said "WOW you are just fading away...how much have you lost now?...you are SUCH an inspiration!"...it brightened up the morning no end to hear that!

And as for coffee...I had ordered a new supply...the parcel arrived...and the company included a free gift of 10 individual sachets of 'instant' coffee for me to sample...so I will have 10 decent cups for free!...definitely a champagne moment!

The weather is brightening up...won't be long before I will be able to push the wheeled walker into the communal garden and enjoy a coffee outdoors.
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    That's a great champagne moment!

I bought some new shoes and bought a few "new" things at the chazzer. I bought some new beauty products from Superdrug.

It is lovely and sunny today. It was so nice coming back home from London last night and only wearing a thin cardigan as it was so mild.

Thanks. I did have a great time.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000

Glad you had a great time last night.

Can't believe the weather we've got for this weekend it's so unusual for a bank holiday weekend! And very welcome.

Denise
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 21st Apr 19, 8:32 AM
    • 11,368 Posts
    • 77,893 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Glorious weather......and on a bank holiday too.!!!! Unheard of.

So many champagne moments this weekend and it's still only Sunday............

Had the most wonderful day at Chatsworth yesterday. I came away with so many ideas of what I can do with my house and garden.......I love visiting large country houses, museums, art galleries etc. I find them so inspirational.

It was lovely to stroll around in my size 14 trousers . and not be struggling to breathe on the hilly bits. It will be even better once I have lost another stone.

Best of all my blood sugar levels are coming down nicely........now back in the pre diabetic range. . Just need to keep at it.

Just going to get myself dolled up and them I'm off out to a nice family gathering to meet the latest addition.........my daughter in laws sisters new baby.

Hope you are all having a wonderful bank holiday and savouring all those champagne moments.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Apr 19, 8:54 PM
    • 16,663 Posts
    • 142,900 Thanks
    JackieO
    I was given today a free few days away in a fortnight's time in Bath so I am looking forward to exploring a new area for me My friend had booked the accommodation for her and her husband for five days, and her husband has just been told he has a works trip to Australia, so she is going to go with him As she couldn't get a refund she gave it to me rather than waste it bless her, so I have a nice break for a few days in a five star lodge just outside Bath, looking at it online it looks really nice, such an unexpected surprise and not one to turn down the offer I said thank you very much. I will get her something nice on her return from Australia. So two weeks tomorrow I am off on my travels again
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Apr 19, 7:50 AM
    • 11,368 Posts
    • 77,893 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Jackie.....how lovely. I'm sure you will love Bath. J'Adore Bath......my husband proposed to me on a romantic weekend in Bath. . And he treated me to a Balloon ride over Bath for my 50th birthday. I have so many fond memories.....I must go back there one day.

Well after a fun filled weekend I am ready for a nice quiet day today, will nip out to Asda for a few bits and then it's going to be a leisurely day in the garden, nothing too strenuous, just pottering about and lazing in the sun. I think most meals will be "Al fresco" to make the most of this fantastic weather.

Enjoy......
    • caronc
    • By caronc 22nd Apr 19, 8:16 AM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 32,244 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Many "moments" over the last few days all involving family, food and sunshine a hard to beat combination for me. Weather looks great again today so hope to start planting up flower baskets. My elder son & his fiancee had to leave this morning as back to work tomorrow but my younger one is here until Sunday. We had a proper family/extended family weekend which I think did us all a power of good.

• sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 22nd Apr 19, 7:18 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    sheilavw
    Evening all. I've had a lovely few days with my eldest Daughter , Son in law and Grandson up from Colchester. The weather's been glorious. We've had a couple of lunches out and a bbq. Hope the lovely weather continues
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 23rd Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    • 11,368 Posts
    • 77,893 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello everyone.

Lovely to hear your champagne moments. And it's true the best times are often those spent in the company with those we love and cherish, throw in some warm sunshine for good measure and yes, Caronc, its an unbeatable combination.

A gentle day planned today, gardening and enjoying the sunshine.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 23rd Apr 19, 8:42 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    Siebrie
    We walked through the Belgian bluebell woods yesterday, lovely in the shade. In the sunshine it was 29C! Totally free of extra cost, as dh has a company car, and I had packed picknick and snacks. It was our first hike of the season and the 5km walk took us 4 hours , including two picknick and three snack breaks. The view were lovely and the smells were amazing! It was very busy, but everyone was enjoying themselves, and noone was smoking, due to the ban (severe drought here).
    Last edited by Siebrie; 23-04-2019 at 8:55 AM.
    2019's wi-wa-wombles 218,96 = 146.58
    Wombling to wealth 2018 972,97 = 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68 = 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31 = 2,969.05
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 23rd Apr 19, 2:12 PM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 45,058 Thanks
    joedenise
    That sounds lovely Siebrie.

Denise
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 24th Apr 19, 11:09 AM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 11,191 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I had so many Champagne moments with my sisters and other family in Birmingham from Thursday 18th April until Tuesday 23rd April.

My sister H cooked every day and as she produces such delicious food, I only had fresh fruit for the rest of each day for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I was unable to do my exercises there because there were no devices for me to play my exercise DVD's on. None of the laptops had a DVD drive, so I could not afford to have a cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

I did not gain or lose any weight on this visit, but there were so may food and drink temptations that I just had to stop myself from consuming. I even left my Thortons Easter Egg there intact.

19 members of the family came to eat, drink, laugh and talk together for Easter Monday at my sister H's house. We all had so much fun together.

My friend A and her man came to visit me and take me to lunch in Birmingham, which was such a lovely surprise
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 24th Apr 19, 1:21 PM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 45,058 Thanks
    joedenise
    Sounds a wonderful weekend sugarbaby.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 25th Apr 19, 10:37 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I have just booked our 10-day summer break: a cottage in Austria for the four of us for €465! Close to Hohe Tauern national park and Zell am See. We will make the trip there and back over two days, doing some sightseeing inbetween; I hope to visit Neuschwannstein castle (on which Disney based Cinderella's castle)
    2019's wi-wa-wombles 218,96 = 146.58
    Wombling to wealth 2018 972,97 = 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68 = 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31 = 2,969.05
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,580Posts Today

7,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin