Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Nov 18, 11:14 AM
    • 11,018Posts
    • 73,356Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.
    • 11th Nov 18, 11:14 AM
    Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget. 11th Nov 18 at 11:14 AM
    Can it be done.

Well I have decided I am going to give it a jolly good try.

And I invite you to join me....Please share your tips, experiences, deals, bargains.

For those who don't know me.....a little background.

I am a widow, aged 67. My husband died four years ago after a long illness which wrecked our finances and which changed my financial landscape, hopefully not forever. I am working on it.

At one point I thought I would have to go bankrupt but with the help of Martin Lewis (All Hail) and the collective knowledge, wisdom and support of the lovely people on these boards I pulled myself back from the abyss and am now financially stable.

Not rich but I have "enough".

Now a confession ........although I am very content to live a simple and now thankfully stress free life I do have a penchant for a little luxury.....and .........before I get too old and decrepit, its time for some fun. Time to finally reap the benefit of all my hard work.

I have just moved house. It's a money pit and I love it. Doing up old houses is my idea of fun. I love rescuing old wrecks and turning them into elegant, comfortable homes and then when I sell ........hopefully they end up a profitable investment.

I did well on the last one, which I bankrolled and project managed.i gave all the profits to my son who put in all the sweat equity and hours of back breaking work. I was happy just to break even on that one and give him a leg up.

However .......as we all know "all work and no play makes Jill a very dull girl". So, whilst I am fully committed to making this new house a stunner And hopefully make a nice little profit I want to

a) do it on a tight budget and
    b) not put my life on hold in the process this time.

So......my plan is to live off my income of 12,000 and use some of my capital as my war chest for the renovations and hopefully at some point start up a small sideline business. No idea what yet.

So how to streeeeeetch that 12k, until, in the words of one of our dear chancellors, I think it was Nigel Lawson ....."the pips squeak". How to extract every ounce of luxury and fun.

I am in the process of reviewing my budget. This is always an ongoing process for me. I am constantly refining my budget to make the most of what I have. Sounds a bit anal but I do it at least once a month.

This week I had to change my mobile phone but although I now have to pay an additional 5 per month I am happy with the deal. I also have to take my car in for what I hope will be a minor repair.

My car is getting on a bit and so far has cost me peanuts to run but it's on notice. If it starts getting too expensive then its days are numbered. I can live without a car if I have to, at least as a short term measure. We have good transport links here. I have a free bus pass and a senior railcard. A taxi into the city centre is reasonable.

I have good practical skills, love charity shops, and make most of my own lotions and potions.

What I really need to do is learn now is how to get the fabulous entertainment, hotel and travel deals that I know are out there. As a solo there is often a premium to pay for the privilege of travelling alone......

So now it begins......my quest for a champagne lifestyle......

I am sooooooo worth it. Lol.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 11-11-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Page 36
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 13th Jan 19, 1:08 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I'm not a prude, but think the C word was constantly used for effect, but I realise it had different connotations back then .I think the "love affairs" were common at that time too
    Originally posted by candygirl

I'd never heard she had lesbian affairs, I knew Sarah Churchill was a favourite but they were childhood friends weren't they so I didn't connect that with being a lesbian and I thought she was supposed to have been devoted to her husband as he was to her. All very confusing, might have to read a bit of history.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 13th Jan 19, 1:13 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    My champagne moment yesterday was going to watch Stan and Ollie at the Odeon Luxe in Leicester Square. I had a premium Luxe recliner seat so I was laying back with my feet up to watch this film. When the seat is fully reclined and the footrest is up, both at the touch of a button, I feel as if I am laying in utmost comfort.

It is a profoundly insightful, funny, moving film. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are absolutely astounding in their lead roles as Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy respectively. I would give this film 10/10 as I just cannot see how it could be improved on.

I had never been aware of the British tour that Laurel and Hardy had undertaken later in their career or of their personal lives or marriages. I had always loved the Laurel & Hardy films and found the comedy duo extremely funny, so I was determined to watch this film.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

I'm hoping to see that, it looks really good.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 13th Jan 19, 2:08 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 21,517 Thanks
    Siebrie
    A couple of weeks ago I started looking at Rightmove as I am feeling the moving itch - my house is lovely, but the kitchen is too small and my son's bedroom is also tiny. He will be 18 soon and I think he needs more space. Ideally I would like to find my ideal house at a much lower price than my current house so I could also reduce my mortgage (which currently has 14 years to run...I can't wait that long...) but I don't think that will happen so I plan to make some decor and furniture changes here to make me feel better. !
    Originally posted by mrs_slapshot
    Mrs_slapshot, won't your son be moving out soon? At least to go into further education? Will it really be worthwhile to buy a new house, when he will only be living there for a short while?
    2019's wi-wa-wombles 90,96 = 80.99
    Wombling to wealth 2018 972,97 = 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68 = 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31 = 2,969.05
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Jan 19, 3:06 PM
    • 26,986 Posts
    • 112,990 Thanks
    candygirl
    I'd never heard she had lesbian affairs, I knew Sarah Churchill was a favourite but they were childhood friends weren't they so I didn't connect that with being a lesbian and I thought she was supposed to have been devoted to her husband as he was to her. All very confusing, might have to read a bit of history.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    It was deffo an eye opener , not sure if it's historically accurate though
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 13th Jan 19, 4:34 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    It was deffo an eye opener , not sure if it's historically accurate though
    Originally posted by candygirl

Poor woman, imagine 17 pregnancies, one child who lived to 11 and the others either miscarried, still born or dead before they were 2. How would you get through that and be sane, I know I couldn't.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 13th Jan 19, 4:37 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Not to mention her grandfather being beheaded, her father being deposed, her mother dying when she was only 6. What a life!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Jan 19, 5:38 AM
    • 11,018 Posts
    • 73,356 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Had a really great day yesterday and made good progress on decluttering the study. I Now have space in there to set up some exercise equipment and space in my sitting room for my yoga mat. It's such a pleasure to enjoy streamlined, uncluttered rooms again.

I love the luxury of space and light.

I have often tried to create the illusion of space, the strategic placing of mirrors to bounce light around anD make rooms feel spacious and airy, adding ingenious storage solutions. When all along the solution was staring me in the face.......just get rid of my excess stuff......

Why did it take so long for the penny to drop.

Anyway I am about halfway through phase 1 of the great declutter and I can hardly tell you how much better I feel. I have a busy week planned so I probably won't be able to achieve much for a few days, but maybe a bit of a respite will do me good.

During my decluttering I have unearthed my Crown Derby and Royal Worcester. I am going to display it and/or use it. Why make do with cheap chainstore bric a brac when I can display my treasures instead of having them stuck in the back of a cupboard. I've now released them and got rid of the cuobiard.

I have found two dresses I forgot about. I shall wear them. I have found some paintings which I love so I will hang them. I was waiting until I had decorated.....why. Why not enjoy their beauty now. Why not wear my nice clothes.

No more saving stuff for best......the best is now. No more being scared to use things for fear of breaking them - yes I'm clumsy in the kitchen.....lol. If they break, then they break. IF!!! They might not and I will have denied myself the pleasure of using them.

In future I will wear things out - not let them rot in storage.
    72.75/make 2019 in 2019
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 14th Jan 19, 8:16 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    Flo61
    Went to wyevale garden centre yesterday. Spent 4.90 and at checkout got voucher for afternoon tea for two 12 until 10 feb. Think that will go on my to do list...
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 14th Jan 19, 10:21 AM
    • 26,986 Posts
    • 112,990 Thanks
    candygirl
    Morning all.Was up at silly am worrying about Zeusy pups op today.He's having the snip, poor baby I dropped him off at the vets, n he was crying when I left him, feel so guilty
    His big Sis Bonnie , is currently taking full advantage, by lying on my knee n eating toast
    I need to keep busy, to keep my mind off the op, so am steaming the floors, n doing a bit of decluttering .
    LL sounds like you've had a productive weekend! I'm with you on not saving things for best.Life's too short to save stuff

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Jan 19, 2:45 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    My champagne moment yesterday was a surprise visit from my older son and his two daughters.

My son had bought me a bouquet of yellow roses (my favourite flowers) and pale pink lilies and a whole rack of ribs from the market in Nine Elms. My son was shocked to find that the rack of ribs had doubled in price since his last visit 2 years ago. I took photos of the flowers once I had arranged them in my crystal vase.

We all had so much fun together and there was so much communication between us all. I love talking to my 2 granddaughters as both of them are very mature thinkers and conversationalists and are interested in all of the usual teenage things but also like to have opinions about lots of other subject matters. My son and his daughters all have a great sense of humour so there was lots of laughter in my home yesterday.

I went to a local Jamaican wine bar in the evening for a night of dancing and I had a great time.
    • mrs_slapshot
    • By mrs_slapshot 14th Jan 19, 10:51 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    mrs_slapshot
    Mrs_slapshot, won't your son be moving out soon? At least to go into further education? Will it really be worthwhile to buy a new house, when he will only be living there for a short while?
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    When I read your very sensible reply I did realise how daft an idea it would be to move house to something that would only be a solution for a relatively short time! I think he'll be with me for a few years yet, he won't be going to university, it will either be a job or an apprenticeship (fingers crossed) so he won't be earning much for a while.

And LL - great idea to have no spend days. I could have those on at least 3 days a week, 4 if I push it. I've also decided no more than 20 on groceries next week - eek!!!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Jan 19, 8:05 AM
    • 11,018 Posts
    • 73,356 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning....

ah poor Zeus.....hope all went well.

Sounds like you had a lovely day with your family, SUgarbaby. Fabulous.

Mrs Slapshot..........setting myself my NSD challenge is certainly helping me stick to my budget this month, I have racked up 9 NSDs already. Obviously you are not supposed to compensate in an orgy of spending on the days you do go shopping...... good luck with your 20 grocery challenge. I have been very good and have resisted the sales.

I did spend a bit yesterday, petrol, groceries and I popped into a chazzer. I picked up some lovey duck egg blue silky curtains for my dining room patio doors, 2.99. bargain. They were originally from Dunhelm and are as new. Must have saved myself a good 60 there. Also a nice embroidered silky table runner 1.99.

I have decided I am going to concentrate on the landscaping, the heating and insulation this year and put the new kitchen on hold for now. So the plan is a cheap and cheerful revamp and the new curtains will be perfect. Just need to keep an eye out for paint deals. I'm thinking of also painting the kitchen units too, as well as the ceiling beams, walls, doors and skirtings.

Its a large open plan kitchen diner so It's a huge job. I would love to pay for a decorator to do it but it would cost an arm and a leg so I'm just going to knuckle down and do it myself, bit by bit. I can take my time, break it down into easy stages.

If I want luxury on a budget and lots of champagne moments then I have to roll up my sleeves and put in the work......

Champagne moments today - Getting my hair cut this afternoon, smoked salmon for brunch and a nice easy dinner of some bolognese I prepared earlier.....

Have a great day and keep those chamoagne moments coming.....
    Last edited by lessonlearned; Yesterday at 8:09 AM.
    72.75/make 2019 in 2019
    • butterfly2507
    • By butterfly2507 15th Jan 19, 11:08 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    butterfly2507
    Champagne moment of the day: I've sold two things (or better two packages as one is a book bundle) on eBay for 42,50 !
    books read 2019: 2 / 100

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Jan 19, 1:16 PM
    • 26,986 Posts
    • 112,990 Thanks
    candygirl
    Am currently having a complete nightmare .Zeus started bleeding out after his op, n it wouldn't stop.They operated on him twice n have said he's got a clotting issue.He's been sedated in the vets overnight n the bleedings stopped, but they're doing more tests on him today When he comes home he needs to keep really quiet, so i'm having to kennel Bon, as they're crazy together Absolutely gutted

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Jan 19, 2:24 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Candygirl,

I am so sorry that Zeus is having such a terrifying experience. I am sure that you are hoping for the best outcome for Zeus even though you must be worried to death. I hope it all comes good in the end.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    • 11,018 Posts
    • 73,356 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Candy.....how awful, poor Zeus. You must be so worried. Hope all goes well. Sending healing vibes his way.
    72.75/make 2019 in 2019
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Jan 19, 8:34 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    My champagne moment yesterday was finally selling a pair of Van Dal shoes on eBay after multiple free relisting of the shoes. I only made just over 6, but it all adds up in my savings account.

My champagne moment today is just having the time to catch up on watching programmes that I recorded in the last week today
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Jan 19, 8:52 PM
    • 26,986 Posts
    • 112,990 Thanks
    candygirl
    He's back home, n absolutely hates his cone of shame. He's eaten, but is very disoriented on the painkillers

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,919Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin