Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dooley
    • By Dooley 10th Nov 18, 8:51 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Dooley
    purchasing a lease car, plus an insurance query
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:51 PM
    purchasing a lease car, plus an insurance query 10th Nov 18 at 8:51 PM
    I have a car on personal lease (the type where you give it back at the end). However, the company have given me a purchase price but say they can't sell it to me, but that how it normally works is that people get their partners or parents to be the one purchasing it, as a workaround.

So I'm doing that, and my dad will buy it. I noticed on the form that after he completes his details as purchaser, it gives you chance to put alternative registration details, or if it's just the same as purchaser. Can we put me as registered keeper, or can't they have my name connected like that as I'm the leasee?

(I'll ring and ask them on Monday but wondered if anyone knew in the meantime).

Secondly, if my dad buys it and is registered keeper, I don't know how quick he'll get the V5, and how quick it can be turned around to sell the car to me and show me as registered keeper, and so it's going to be difficult for insurance. I'll cancel my current insurance on the vehicle, and if I take a new policy out, I can't put myself as reg keeper if I'm not, but then it's only going to be a matter of days hopefully. Has anyone any advice for what to do in these circumstances? Obviously not gonna drive without correct insurance!
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Nov 18, 5:22 AM
    • 27,988 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Nov 18, 5:22 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 5:22 AM
    1 day or 3 days or more?

Did the keeper change online on Monday afternoon/evening and the new V5C arrived through the post on Wednesday morning.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Dooley
    • By Dooley 11th Nov 18, 2:42 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dooley
    • 11th Nov 18, 2:42 PM
    • 11th Nov 18, 2:42 PM
    we haven't done it yet. The lease co says the V5 should get to my dad for the day the lease runs out/it's sold to him. So for example, let's say the lease runs out on 1st December, he's buying it, it's all paid for, and he gets the V5 through the post on 1st. I can sign it as the new owner, effectively buying it off him the same day, and post the V5. I think I'll be ok to start the insurance from the 1st with me as owner and reg keeper? That's best case though, there could be delays
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 13th Nov 18, 10:03 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    • 13th Nov 18, 10:03 AM
    • 13th Nov 18, 10:03 AM
    Remember that by adding one extra owner you probably take away a bit of the value.

• Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Nov 18, 10:07 AM
    • 37,942 Posts
    • 22,055 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Nov 18, 10:07 AM
    • 13th Nov 18, 10:07 AM
    Why not complete their form with the details of keeper you want

(The keeper isn't buying it as far as the vendor is concerned!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,595Posts Today

6,554Users online

Martin's Twitter