Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cjv
    • By cjv 10th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    • 318Posts
    • 155Thanks
    cjv
    Can I snag after completion?
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    Can I snag after completion? 10th Nov 18 at 8:17 PM
    Particulars state the property will be fully snagged and de-snagged by the developer prior to handover, with no opportunity for me to snag my new home. It also states there is a 1 year defects liability period.

Can I assume that defects is another way of saying snags and that I can indeed get a snagging company inspection immediately after completion?
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 10th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    • 11,509 Posts
    • 13,312 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    Of course you can its your house at that point !!!

You can have the Dagenham Girl Pipers in if you want.

Though their snagging experience is probably limited.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 10th Nov 18, 8:29 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    cjv
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:29 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:29 PM
    Thanks Joe, I will google them now!
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 10th Nov 18, 9:24 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 1,722 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:24 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:24 PM
    • SmashedAvacado
    • By SmashedAvacado 12th Nov 18, 1:40 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    SmashedAvacado
    • 12th Nov 18, 1:40 PM
    • 12th Nov 18, 1:40 PM
    I would do this as soon as possible after completion to avoid any argument with the developer that you are responsible for the damage - as there are bound to be broken items, damaged items, marks on walls etc that you will want fixed / replaced. If you go in as soon as possible it will be much harder for the developer to argue that these are down to you.

obviously anything inherant but not noticed will be covered in the 12 months as it gets noticed as long as within the 12 month period you notify the developer.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 12th Nov 18, 6:20 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    cjv
    • 12th Nov 18, 6:20 PM
    • 12th Nov 18, 6:20 PM
    I would do this as soon as possible after completion to avoid any argument with the developer that you are responsible for the damage - as there are bound to be broken items, damaged items, marks on walls etc that you will want fixed / replaced. If you go in as soon as possible it will be much harder for the developer to argue that these are down to you.

obviously anything inherant but not noticed will be covered in the 12 months as it gets noticed as long as within the 12 month period you notify the developer.
    Originally posted by SmashedAvacado
    Thanks for the advice. I will try and have it snagged after completion and before I move any items in to the property, so the snagging company have easy access to all areas.
    • airandwater
    • By airandwater 12th Nov 18, 9:19 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    airandwater
    • 12th Nov 18, 9:19 PM
    • 12th Nov 18, 9:19 PM
    Ask to do a client inspect prior to completion as it would enable them to address issues before you have moved in. This would be you spending 2 hours in the property documenting snags, potential touch-up and defects.

Take plenty of pictures and even videos and detail all snags in emails so that there is a paper trail. There are plenty of snagging checklists online that include testing every wall socket, going over the exterior with a torch etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,150Posts Today

7,824Users online

Martin's Twitter