Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jojebe
    • By jojebe 10th Nov 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jojebe
    Can you paint with untinted base paint?
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:12 PM
    Can you paint with untinted base paint? 10th Nov 18 at 8:12 PM
    Hi. I'm hoping someone with some knowledge about paints can help me with this.

For some years our paint of choice for decorating the woodwork in our house has been Sikkens Rubbol BL Satura, a water-based satin paint which gives a lovely finish.

We recently began repainting the whole house and used up the Sikkens we had left mid way through the hall/stairs. When we went to buy more we found that the Sikkens was discontinued earlier this year and we couldn't buy it anywhere. We tried using other water based satinwoods but they don't have anything like the finish we got with the Sikkens - mostly too glossy and because half the room has already been painted it looks bad.

In desperation we turned to ebay, and managed to order 10 litres, albeit for twice the price. It's arrived, but on the tin is printed White Base W05, over which the seller has stuck a label saying "White". I'm assuming this paint was meant to be tinted before use.

Does anyone know if you can use base paint untinted on woodwork? Would the coverage/finish be ok and would it be durable? My inclination is to send it back, but I would like an expert opinion before I do.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 10th Nov 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:33 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:33 PM
    You don't need to tint paint, but whether it will match your existing paintwork is another matter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

2,166Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin