Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 3Thanks
    jon8871
    Threatening letter from council
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    Threatening letter from council 10th Nov 18 at 7:30 PM
    deleted........
    Last edited by jon8871; 11-11-2018 at 1:15 AM.
Page 3
    • Sibz
    • By Sibz 10th Nov 18, 10:43 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Sibz
    I have calmed down now, will ring the council Monday and let them come round and do the work. Even though I know they cause absolute mayhem, from what friends have told me who have had the rewiring done. Guess it's just another flaw of being poor, you have to do what the council tell you.

Will be putting in a complaint though for the threating letter and false accusations
    Originally posted by jon8871
    If they're rewiring your home then that's a very big job.... it's also a very expensive one that they appear to be doing for free.... if you don't want it done perhaps you can send them my way, nobody's ever asked or forced me to get home improvement work done for free
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 10:51 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    If they're rewiring your home then that's a very big job.... it's also a very expensive one that they appear to be doing for free.... if you don't want it done perhaps you can send them my way, nobody's ever asked or forced me to get home improvement work done for free
    Originally posted by Sibz
    I pay council tax, I am assuming that is how its funded. It wont be a home improvent, the electric will work just the same lol, with all plastic tubing up the walls.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Nov 18, 11:03 PM
    • 8,059 Posts
    • 21,684 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I am not going to shout to anyone. And will be calling the head of housing who has issued the letter.
    That will be another waste of your time. The letter will give the number for a call centre, or a named individual (very unlikely to be the head of housing). Call them.

It is about being poor, if I could afford to buy the house tomorrow, they would have no right to come in and rewire. I have no choice as I am poor, and have to do what the council say. And if it's that unsafe why I have been able to live here for the last 12 years
    You do have a choice, hand your keys back and try your luck in the private rental market. There you will discover you have to do what the landlord says as well. Let us know how you get on.

The work wasn't needed 12 years ago. Things like electrical installations need to be checked and replaced periodically. You've got lucky and now its your turn to have council money spent on improving your home. Don't knock it.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 10th Nov 18, 11:05 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 1,224 Thanks
    HampshireH
    They will upgrade that wiring if it is a rewire. However in your initial post you said it was a condition report which is usually an inspection and test. These are done periodically. Usually every 10 years or so.
    • Sibz
    • By Sibz 10th Nov 18, 11:20 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Sibz
    I pay council tax, I am assuming that is how its funded. It wont be a home improvent, the electric will work just the same lol, with all plastic tubing up the walls.
    Most people pay council tax, myself included. If it's being done for safety reasons, as you said their letter stated, then it is improvement work - it's improving safety.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th Nov 18, 11:20 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    sevenhills
    So many judgement people on here. maybe somedays, weeks, months, depression is really bad and I don't care about opening letters. The council made no attempt to phone me to ask if I have acknowledged the letter or letters.

They have accused me of refusing to allow the council access to undertake the works. Correct me if I am wrong, but is not responding, refusing?

Why are you not telling us how many letters you have received?
    A number of letters and visits, you were aware that your neighbours have had work done, and its been a nightmare.
    So you have blanked the council, not a good idea.

• jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 11:21 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    That will be another waste of your time. The letter will give the number for a call centre, or a named individual (very unlikely to be the head of housing). Call them.

You do have a choice, hand your keys back and try your luck in the private rental market. There you will discover you have to do what the landlord says as well. Let us know how you get on.

The work wasn't needed 12 years ago. Things like electrical installations need to be checked and replaced periodically. You've got lucky and now its your turn to have council money spent on improving your home. Don't knock it.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Have spoke to the head of housing before, its not immposibe to speak to him. Any way I am not refusing the rewire, that is not what the post is about. Don't think I am lucky, only have to google "council house reweire" to see some of the mess.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 11:31 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    Really amazes me that most of the people here think that not responding to a letter is worthy of a threat of eviction and a criminal record. What kind of lives do you lead?

I am done with this thread now, people annoy me more and more every day. Well, most people anyway.
    • EssexGirl
    • By EssexGirl 10th Nov 18, 11:39 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 1,325 Thanks
    EssexGirl
    I am not going to shout to anyone. And will be calling the head of housing who has issued the letter.
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in that office on Monday! I wish you luck getting past the head of housing's PA with that one.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 11:52 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in that office on Monday! I wish you luck getting past the head of housing's PA with that one.
    Originally posted by EssexGirl
    The letter states to call head of housing. I have spoken to him before. Why is it so unbelievable to you? Its just the head of hosuing, not the Prime Minister lol
    • Sibz
    • By Sibz 10th Nov 18, 11:56 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Sibz
    The letter states to call head of housing. I have spoken to him before. Why is it so unbelievable to you? Its just the head of hosuing, not the Prime Minister lol
    Was this when you ignored letters last year about getting your guttering done?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 11th Nov 18, 12:02 AM
    • 9,667 Posts
    • 14,885 Thanks
    worried jim
    I pity the council come Monday. No wonder they have to sit behind glass screens. "I've come to complain about the possible free re-wire you've offered me!".
    OP- please say no thanks and save us tax payers some money.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th Nov 18, 12:11 AM
    • 8,059 Posts
    • 21,684 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Really amazes me that most of the people here think that not responding to a letter is worthy of a threat of eviction and a criminal record. What kind of lives do you lead?

I am done with this thread now, people annoy me more and more every day. Well, most people anyway.
    I'm pretty sure there will be lots of housing officers working for your council saying exactly the same thing.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 11th Nov 18, 12:15 AM
    • 16,235 Posts
    • 23,093 Thanks
    antrobus

Quite normal lives I expect. One's that don't involve being annoyed by 'most people' 'every day'.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what a bunch of anonymous MSEers think about your letter threatening eviction and a criminal record. IF you don't like it, complain to Dartford BC.

https://www.dartford.gov.uk/by-category/council-and-democracy2/complaints/our-formal-complaints-procedure

Or speak to your local councillor.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 11th Nov 18, 12:19 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    I pity the council come Monday. No wonder they have to sit behind glass screens. "I've come to complain about the possible free re-wire you've offered me!".
    OP- please say no thanks and save us tax payers some money.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    If you reread the first post, you will see I am not complaining about the rewire. Would rather not if I had the choice. When I phone I will be booking the inspection, and they can do what they need to do. Come here to post as I felt it was an unfair letter, and wanted to see what people thought. Your quote "please say no thanks and save us tax payers some money", seems to suggest that I am on benefits and don't pay taxes, was this what you assumed? if so why could I know why please. I am a tax payer to, not that there is anything wrong with people on benefits.

The council there don't sit behinhd glass screens either
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Nov 18, 6:32 AM
    • 17,026 Posts
    • 41,947 Thanks
    FBaby
    Every week there is a post about a crap private LL refus g to do essential work to their home despite paying a hefty monthly rent and would do anything to be housed in a council home knowing that the LL will have to carry out their statutory duties as a LL.

Then you get a council tenant moaning that their LL is trying to apply their statutory duites for the safety of the tenants but the tenant still complain because they don't want to be bothered and they shouldn't have to read their mail if they don't want to so it's all the council's fault for not taking yet more responsibility for them.

What has the world come to!
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 11th Nov 18, 7:00 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Craig1981
    so, the council dont advise you what would happen if the work doesnt get carried out, the work doesnt get carried out, and heaven forbid there is an electric fire your property for faulty wiring - i bet you would be going bananas about why your property is in disrepair etc etc etc

the council, like any responsible landlord, has a legal obligation to ensure the safety of their tenants as well as others. The letter states the facts, and WHAT COULD HAPPEN if there is no response to it.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 11th Nov 18, 7:21 AM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    The letters sent are a bit rude. I get them from a Housing Association who don't wait until an appointment has been missed but warn about taking to court and forcing entry in the first appointment letter, and in a very abrubt way. You have to assume that many people don't co-operate for them to behave like this. It's a shame that those of us who do read our letters and respond have to be spoken to in this way because others don't!
    • tealady
    • By tealady 11th Nov 18, 7:28 AM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    tealady
    OP if you don't like the way your landlord treats you then you are free to look for another.
    I am sure you will be able to find a landlord who won't disturb you with requests for electrical checks.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 11th Nov 18, 8:36 AM
    • 9,667 Posts
    • 14,885 Thanks
    worried jim
    If you reread the first post, you will see I am not complaining about the rewire. Would rather not if I had the choice. When I phone I will be booking the inspection, and they can do what they need to do. Come here to post as I felt it was an unfair letter, and wanted to see what people thought. Your quote "please say no thanks and save us tax payers some money", seems to suggest that I am on benefits and don't pay taxes, was this what you assumed? if so why could I know why please. I am a tax payer to, not that there is anything wrong with people on benefits.

The council there don't sit behinhd glass screens either
    So when I get my home re-wired you will be contributing towards it?

As a council tenant your rent is subsidised by the tax system meaning we all pay towards it and it's up keep (nothing wrong with that if you need help with housing) where as my home isn't paid for by the taxpayers, just the sweat of my own labour. This is what has irked every single poster on here about your situation, you are for all appearances being offered a free service (via a narkie letter) which we would all have to pay for ourselves which will benefit you and your property and you have thrown your toys out the pram.

Thus most of the posting has been gentle teasing in the hope you would have a lightbulb moment and say to yourself "I'm being a bit silly and overreacting" take a step back and a deep breath and crack on with the day like most rational people.

Re-wiring can be messy but better it be free messy than I'm paying for this mess out my own pocket- don't you think?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

3,635Users online

Martin's Twitter