Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 3Thanks
    jon8871
    Threatening letter from council
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    Threatening letter from council 10th Nov 18 at 7:30 PM
    deleted........
    Last edited by jon8871; 11-11-2018 at 1:15 AM.
Page 2
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 10th Nov 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1,882 Posts
    • 7,527 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Wow, it was a mistype. I have mental health problems and the thought of eviction and a criminal record is quite stressful. You don't seem like a very nice person
    Originally posted by jon8871

No, I'm probably not very nice, but I'll live with that.

Suggesting other people are a bit thick because they disagree with you is not very nice, either.

Mental health issues or not - and you may be surprised how many posters here have MH issues - I am sure you are able to acknowledge that.

Eviction and a criminal record can be very easily avoided by simply responding to the letter as requested. So perhaps just do that instead of wondering if it is right/fair/evil.

Just phone them.

Storm in a teacup.
    Jan 18 grocery challenge 105.13/ 150
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 10th Nov 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 4,080 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I think you urgently need to start opening your mail to tell the junk from the important letters. Letters are the way any formal matters need to be dealt with, and dealing with them promptly will be to your benefit (and prevent some of the more unpleasant ones arriving). It's not a crime to not read them, but it's going to be mostly luck if not reading letters hasn't caused you trouble before now. If this is difficult due to your mental health then perhaps explore coping mechanisms or alternative solutions with whoever you'd normally talk to?
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 10th Nov 18, 9:04 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Ignores letter 1.
    Writes a message on an internet forum complaining that letter 2 is more strongly worded.

• jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 9:15 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    So many judgement people on here. maybe somedays, weeks, months, depression is really bad and I don't care about opening letters. The council made no attempt to phone me to ask if I have acknowledged the letter or letters.

They have accused me of refusing to allow the council access to undertake the works. Correct me if I am wrong, but is not responding, refusing?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Nov 18, 9:20 PM
    • 9,076 Posts
    • 9,670 Thanks
    davidmcn
    The council made no attempt to phone me to ask if I have acknowledged the letter or letters.
    But you (or somebody similar) might also complain about getting phone calls or knocks at the door which they don't want. The council can't predict what's going to get your attention, but they've obviously succeeded with their letter. And it's much cheaper for them to write to you than send someone round to possibly fruitlessly knock on your door (yes, they could also put a card through your door, but why would you pay attention to that if you ignored their original letter?).
    They have accused me of refusing to allow the council access to undertake the works. Correct me if I am wrong, but is not responding, refusing?
    If you don't respond, for whatever reason, then they're not being allowed access.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 10th Nov 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 4,080 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    So many judgement people on here. maybe somedays, weeks, months, depression is really bad and I don't care about opening letters. The council made no attempt to phone me to ask if I have acknowledged the letter or letters.

Practically, yes, it is. The result is the same, ie the work doesn't get done. Especially if you've not responded to multiple letters, can you see why they might get a bit more serious?

They won't phone people as standard. It would take a lot of time, there is no guarantee that they get the right person on the phone, many people don't answer to unfamiliar numbers etc. As I suggested, talk to whomever you normally talk to about managing your depression to find a solution to deal with your post - they'll know more than us about what might be helpful.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 10th Nov 18, 9:33 PM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 5,700 Thanks
    anselld
    You didn't say if you think it is ok, to threaten with eviction and a criminal record for not responding to a letter.
    No, I don't think it is OK, but as I said in my previous post it is not worth the battle with all that entails, because you will only make the situation worse.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 9:44 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    I have calmed down now, will ring the council Monday and let them come round and do the work. Even though I know they cause absolute mayhem, from what friends have told me who have had the rewiring done. Guess it's just another flaw of being poor, you have to do what the council tell you.

Will be putting in a complaint though for the threating letter and false accusations
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Nov 18, 9:49 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 21,560 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Apologise for what? I will be wanting an apology from them. They have made false accusations. Do you not think being threatned with eviction and a criminal record is too much for not responding to a letter?
    No. I don't think it is too much. Not if they have been sending you letters asking you to get in touch to arrange access and you have been bunging them in a pile unopened.

Each letter sent out costs the council money, and if you aren't responding then all they have left is to use the legal routes open to them to deal with the problem.

Eviction and a criminal record are the ultimate sanction, but sometimes making the threat is necessary in order to prompt a response. In this case it seems to have worked.

Hi, the council have mine and my partner's phone number, they have not called or left any voicemails

Does no one think it is unreasonable to threaten with eviction and a criminal record over not respondiing to a letter?
    The formal method of communication about tenancy matters is by post. Unless you've specifically asked them to contact you by phone instead (e.g. for health reasons, might be appropriate in your case) then they will write to you - not least because a written letter is proof that notification has been given, whereas a phone conversation can be denied.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Nov 18, 9:52 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 21,560 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I have calmed down now, will ring the council Monday and let them come round and do the work. Even though I know they cause absolute mayhem, from what friends have told me who have had the rewiring done. Guess it's just another flaw of being poor, you have to do what the council tell you.
    On the plus side you are not having to fork out for the cost of having electrical work done on your home.

Will be putting in a complaint though for the threating letter and false accusations
    You are entitled to do this, but you will be wasting your time.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    No, I don't think it is OK, but as I said in my previous post it is not worth the battle with all that entails, because you will only make the situation worse.
    Originally posted by anselld
    Yeah, it's not worth the battle. Just not a nice way to be treated after giving the council many thousands in rent over the years. If my property is that unsafe they should of phoned or knocked to try and get hold of me, and not assume that I have read the letter, acknowledged it, and decided not to respond
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 10th Nov 18, 9:59 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    HampshireH
    [QUOTEYeah, it's not worth the battle. Just not a nice way to be treated after giving the council many thousands in rent over the years. If my property is that unsafe they should of phoned or knocked to try and get hold of me, and not assume that I have read the letter, acknowledged it, and decided not to respond][/QUOTE]

You haven't done them any favours by paying thousands in rent.

They gave you a home in return
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 10th Nov 18, 10:00 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Excuse my inability to get my text and quotes in the right place.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 10th Nov 18, 10:08 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 4,080 Thanks
    Rosemary7391

It's not really about being poor - just about responding to letters because that's the way things are set up in society, it's assumed that letters sent to someone's address will be read by them. I've had "threatening" (maybe firmly worded would be more accurate) letters because my student council tax exemption didn't go through properly and because the neighbouring block complained about our bin store. It happens, it's a part of being an adult that sometimes things go wrong and you have to respond to the letter alerting you to the problem.

It's also inevitable that sometimes work will be needed in a home that is inconvenient. Rewiring is messy; there is no way around that. I'm going to do it in my flat soon though - voluntarily, and pay for it, because it needs to be done. That's life, not always fun.

I really think you'll do better to focus your energy on dealing with these things constructively instead of fighting with the council about the wording of their letters. Best of luck with it all
    • EssexGirl
    • By EssexGirl 10th Nov 18, 10:09 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 1,325 Thanks
    EssexGirl
    When you get around to phoning the council on Monday, please don't take your anger out on the member of staff who answers your call. It's not their fault you didn't open your post, nor will they have been the one who sent you the letter. Council call centre staff are real people with feelings, who go to work to pay their rent & mortgages, taxes and bills. Being shouted at for a living is demoralising and not great for mental health.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Nov 18, 10:10 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 21,560 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Excuse my inability to get my text and quotes in the right place.
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    You are missing the closing "]" from the intial "[QUOTE".... and it appears to have moved itself to near the end of the post.
    • kay0601
    • By kay0601 10th Nov 18, 10:14 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    kay0601
    Not just a home, but one that you’ve lived in for 30 years at a subsidised rate. I don’t think your “complaint” is going to have an effect since they’ve done nothing wrong.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 10th Nov 18, 10:15 PM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 11,632 Thanks
    Money maker
    My friend is poor and in a council house too. She's just had a brand new kitchen installed - she even got to choose it. Wish I could afford one ...
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 10:20 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    When you get around to phoning the council on Monday, please don't take your anger out on the member of staff who answers your call. It's not their fault you didn't open your post, nor will they have been the one who sent you the letter. Council call centre staff are real people with feelings, who go to work to pay their rent & mortgages, taxes and bills. Being shouted at for a living is demoralising and not great for mental health.
    Originally posted by EssexGirl
    I am not going to shout to anyone. And will be calling the head of housing who has issued the letter.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 10:26 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    It's not really about being poor - just about responding to letters because that's the way things are set up in society, it's assumed that letters sent to someone's address will be read by them. I've had "threatening" (maybe firmly worded would be more accurate) letters because my student council tax exemption didn't go through properly and because the neighbouring block complained about our bin store. It happens, it's a part of being an adult that sometimes things go wrong and you have to respond to the letter alerting you to the problem.

It's also inevitable that sometimes work will be needed in a home that is inconvenient. Rewiring is messy; there is no way around that. I'm going to do it in my flat soon though - voluntarily, and pay for it, because it needs to be done. That's life, not always fun.

I really think you'll do better to focus your energy on dealing with these things constructively instead of fighting with the council about the wording of their letters. Best of luck with it all
    Originally posted by Rosemary7391

It is about being poor, if I could afford to buy the house tomorrow, they would have no right to come in and rewire. I have no choice as I am poor, and have to do what the council say. And if it's that unsafe why I have been able to live here for the last 12 years
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,108Posts Today

7,520Users online

Martin's Twitter