Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 3Thanks
    jon8871
    Threatening letter from council
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    Threatening letter from council 10th Nov 18 at 7:30 PM
    deleted........
    Last edited by jon8871; 11-11-2018 at 1:15 AM.
Page 1
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 7:34 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:34 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:34 PM
    It won't let me post the Image link to the back of letter here.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Nov 18, 7:37 PM
    • 9,075 Posts
    • 9,662 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:37 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:37 PM
    I suggest you contact them and arrange the appointment. No, it's not slander.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 10th Nov 18, 7:42 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 5,698 Thanks
    anselld
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:42 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:42 PM
    Just phone up apologise, make the appointment and move on.

Council like to get officious over all sorts but it is not worth taking them on about this. They are correct that the work is to ensure your own safety and that of the building as a whole.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    Apologise for what? I will be wanting an apology from them. They have made false accusations. Do you not think being threatned with eviction and a criminal record is too much for not responding to a letter?
    • Dorian1958
    • By Dorian1958 10th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Dorian1958
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    I agree it is annoying to get a lot of junk mail, but that doesn't mean you should put it to one side and ignore it. Why not just open it and send it back to the originator marked "please remove me from your database iaw the GDPR Regulations 2018", that should cut it down over the next few months. That would leave you with receiving mail that you really need to respond to, for example, the council wanting to arrange access to deal with safety issues in your home. You are fortunate to have a landlord who cares enough about safety to pursue the matter; many landlords wouldn't even bother.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 10th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Not slander.

You cannot be accused of "Anti-Social behaviour, crime and policing act 2014" as thats an Act, though you could be accused of something referenced in that Act had you committed anti social behaviour or a criminal offence.

Failure to engage to allow an electrical test would normally fall under breach of tenancy. It sounds like perhaps a letter template has been sent out in error.

You may not be expected to open/acknowledge your post by law, but unless you have requested an alternative method of communication from the Council they cannot be expected to know you would disregard their letter.

You say you never had an appointment but if you haven't opened/acknowledged your mail how do you know?

Many Councils request you call them for the 10year electrical test for customer convenience. This may have happened. Failing to contact them may be deemed as not providing access (albeit loosely)

I wouldnt expect any Council to answer the phone about a letter on a weekend.

Just give them a call monday, calmly and politely point out you believe there has been a mistake and book the appointment.

If you kick off and become rude/aggressive etc you may get a legitimate letter for ASB which would just make things 10x worse
    • anselld
    • By anselld 10th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 5,698 Thanks
    anselld
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    Apologise for what? I will be wanting an apology from them. They have made false accusations. Do you not think being threatned with eviction and a criminal record is too much for not responding to a letter?
    Originally posted by jon8871
    Keep digging then, your choice.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 8:24 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:24 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:24 PM
    You didn't say if you think it is ok, to threaten with eviction and a criminal record for not responding to a letter.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 8:26 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    Hi, the council have mine and my partner's phone number, they have not called or left any voicemails

Does no one think it is unreasonable to threaten with eviction and a criminal record over not respondiing to a letter?

I wont be kicking off, I will be as cool as a cucumber.
    Last edited by jon8871; 10-11-2018 at 8:29 PM.
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 8:27 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    Think you are missing the point. I am not disputing that the work doesn't need to be done. I am not happy with being treated like a criminal, and threatend with eviction.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 10th Nov 18, 8:31 PM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 6,256 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Think you are missing the point. I am not disputing that the work doesn't need to be done. I am not happy with being treated like a criminal, and threatend with eviction.
    Life's too short, let go of the stress.

Just ring up and make the appointment.

To be honest (although I suspect you won't appreciate it) you are coming across as 'a bit of an awkward so and so' on this thread.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 10th Nov 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Would be interesting to see the letter as it does sound like an error.

Also a lot of people use the words "threaten" when they get letters explaining what could happen. The Council has to notify tenants of what may happen. Thats not a threat its fact.

Seems extreme in this case but I feel we don't have all the facts. For example the Council may have had an electical emergency which they have responded to by taking said course of action.

There could be so many reasons... or it could be a mistake. Certainly cannot see how the reference Act is relevant.
    • duchy
    • By duchy 10th Nov 18, 8:34 PM
    • 18,099 Posts
    • 46,018 Thanks
    duchy
    Have you gone through your mail mountain to see if they've written to you before ? ( it's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between junk mail and council correspondence though)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 8:37 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    Life's too short, let go of the stress.

Just ring up and make the appointment.

To be honest (although I suspect you won't appreciate it) you are coming across as 'a bit of an awkward so and so' on this thread.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    You honestly don't think it is unreasonable to be threatened with eviction and a criminal record? I would serously question your intellegience. I am guessing you don't live in council housing, and don't have to put up with this treatment
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 10th Nov 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 7,514 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I would serously question your intellegience.

Do that when you can spell the words, not before.
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 10th Nov 18, 8:41 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    AFF8879
    The key is to not take it personally. Councils house thousands of families, they have to have standard procedures and protocols in place to ensure works can be carried out for the safety of yourself and others.

I guarantee you it will be something along the lines of a council worker going ďah, system is telling me Mr X needs his annual electrical check, let me press enter and print the standard letterĒ (in fact the system is probably even more automated than that what with mail merge etc). Then when you didnít respond, the system flagged that you were overdue and the council again printed their standard letter that they send to all overdue households.

My point is that the council probably donít know anything about you personally, itís not like they are all standing around gossiping about how much of a criminal you are ....

The strong language is probably just a necessity to ensure people respond, what with Grenfell tower councils really cannot afford to take any chances with electrical safety. If you were to have a fire and had not had the required works carried out, you or anyone living in the building could easily try and claim negligence against the council
    Last edited by AFF8879; 10-11-2018 at 8:44 PM.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 10th Nov 18, 8:42 PM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 6,256 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    You honestly don't think it is unreasonable to be threatened with eviction and a criminal record? I would serously question your intellegience. I am guessing you don't live in council housing, and don't have to put up with this treatment
    From what you've posted, of course it's unreasonable, but the trick in life is always try to make a bad situation better and, in this case the way to do that is............?
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • jon8871
    • By jon8871 10th Nov 18, 8:43 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jon8871
    Do that when you can spell the words, not before.
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Wow, it was a mistype. I have mental health problems and the thought of eviction and a criminal record is quite stressful. You don't seem like a very nice person
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 10th Nov 18, 8:45 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    Slithery
    We have received this letter as we haven't responded to the council's correspondence requesting that we make contact to arrange an appointment to carry out a PIR (Electrical Installation Condition report). We haven't acknowledged any letters, we get so much junk mail a lot of it just gets left on the side.
    So this could have been easily resolved earlier if you'd bothered reading your post. Maybe a lesson for you to learn for the future?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,567Posts Today

4,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin