Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Nov 18, 6:50 PM
    • 26,725Posts
    • 56,895Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Building controls inspector
    • 10th Nov 18, 6:50 PM
    Building controls inspector 10th Nov 18 at 6:50 PM
    This sounds a bit weird - but how do you check the authenticity of a building controls inspector? And can it be checked retrospectively with the local authority by a third party? I've heard a story that makes me think that a builder may have bought an impersonator inspector onto the site. I don't know, but there is a lot about the work that doesn't add up.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 10-11-2018 at 6:55 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Nov 18, 7:09 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:09 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:09 PM
    This sounds a bit weird - but how do you check the authenticity of a building controls inspector? And can it be checked retrospectively with the local authority by a third party? I've heard a story that makes me think that a builder may have bought an impersonator inspector onto the site. I don't know, but there is a lot about the work that doesn't add up.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Speak to the council building control. Either the inspection took place or it didn't.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Nov 18, 8:10 PM
    • 26,725 Posts
    • 56,895 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:10 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:10 PM
    Speak to the council building control. Either the inspection took place or it didn't.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    That was the plan - just not sure whether they would offer the information to a third party. Still, I can ask and they can always refuse.

I thought usual practice ahead of any project of significant cost is to supply a schedule of work, and agree the release of payments against the before starting a job? And to split the material costs and labour? (I'm used to working in an environment that is very particular about project management). The builder on this case is a one-man band, does this make any difference?

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 10th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    • 23,979 Posts
    • 27,135 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    What do you mean by a Building Control inspector? Are you worried about one area (eg. electrics) or an entire build?

AFAIK either relevant work can be checked and signed off by Building Control officers (council employees), or by competent tradespeople who are appropriately qualified and registered in a scheme.

As far as checking credentials/ qualifications/ registration that is down to Building Control at the local council. I would hope they take a dim view of any fraudulent paperwork.
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 10th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    He may not work for the council.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Nov 18, 8:38 PM
    • 26,725 Posts
    • 56,895 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:38 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:38 PM
    He may not work for the council.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    The question mark is around whether the person was genuine or a plant, because the costs (and work itself) suddenly escalated after their visit. I don't have a clue - it's not me affected - but it does strike me that there has been a significant erosion of trust.

• Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 10th Nov 18, 9:26 PM
    • 23,979 Posts
    • 27,135 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:26 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:26 PM
    The question mark is around whether the person was genuine or a plant, because the costs (and work itself) suddenly escalated after their visit. I don't have a clue - it's not me affected - but it does strike me that there has been a significant erosion of trust.
    What???

At the very least this is getting into 'Chinese Whispers' territory. Given you admit you "don't have a clue", could the person who owns the site come online?

Is the claimed job title of "Building Control inspector" verbatim? Is there any documentation related to this supposed inspection?
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 10-11-2018 at 9:30 PM.
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 10th Nov 18, 10:28 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:28 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:28 PM
    My point was that the choice is not between council building inspector & an imposter, another possibility is a private building control inspector.

Are you saying in your last post that this "inspector" said more work had to be done that will cost more money? If the customer isn't happy they can ask the builder for the inspector's contact details & ask him.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Nov 18, 11:08 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 70,314 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:08 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:08 PM
    The building inspector has nothing to do with costs.

You need to tell the story, OP. This isn't making any sense.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ally1974
    • By ally1974 11th Nov 18, 7:29 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    ally1974
    You get people called Approved Inspectors, essentially doing the same job as local authority building control officers but private. They have to be part of a professional body, so you can check that easily enough. What's called a building notice (rather than full building regs application) is still submitted to the local planning authority but that's simply telling them that everything has been checked & is in accordance with the regulations. If you're worried check if the person is registered first before speaking to the lpa.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Nov 18, 10:22 AM
    • 26,725 Posts
    • 56,895 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The building inspector has nothing to do with costs.

You need to tell the story, OP. This isn't making any sense.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    I'd agree, I'm getting only one side of a story myself.

Is it unusual for a standard job to be quoted for, a building's inspector to turn up and say "no, I want it done this way to be compliant" and change the build spec so that the price increases? I thought they had the power to do that but for a job that is realtively straightforward, why would they need to?

• societys child
    • By societys child 11th Nov 18, 10:56 AM
    • 5,520 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    societys child
    It's still a bit of a riddle, but yes, an inspector can refuse to sign off on something he isn't happy with. If something needs changing then obviously there's a chance it could cost more.

• stuart45
    • By stuart45 11th Nov 18, 11:25 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    stuart45
    Depends on whether it's being done on a Building Notice, or Full plans.
    Even with Full plans there can be extra work in the foundations, as even if they show the standard metre depth, sometimes the ground is still not stable enough.
    Once you get to the superstructure as long as the plans are followed there shouldn't be a problem.
    With a Building notice you need to plan well ahead with the BCO to make sure there are no issues.
    With the LA BCO's, you sometimes get a different person at different stages of the build, and I have known this to cause a few problems for a some builders, although I've never had this problem myself.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 11th Nov 18, 3:08 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    tonyh66
    I'd agree, I'm getting only one side of a story myself.

Is it unusual for a standard job to be quoted for, a building's inspector to turn up and say "no, I want it done this way to be compliant" and change the build spec so that the price increases? I thought they had the power to do that but for a job that is realtively straightforward, why would they need to?
    Nothing to do with a fake building inspector, more to do with a dodgy builder who can't build to the required standard, at the price he quoted.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Nov 18, 4:20 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 70,314 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Nothing to do with a fake building inspector, more to do with a dodgy builder who can't build to the required standard, at the price he quoted.
    Originally posted by tonyh66
    There's nothing to base that on.

The OP needs to provide facts and details rather than speculation and suspicions. What exactly has changed, who wrote the initial specification. What are the price changes.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,483Posts Today

7,151Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MarieBlackett: @MartinSLewis Someone asked me if they could ?tappity tap tap? their card once. Made me giggle! As a retail worker I get?

• RT @NyeBeverage: @MartinSLewis I get "tap it" the most, working in a bar. "Ping it" is more common than you think, and makes me giggle.

• When you want to pay by contactless - what do you call it - I always say "I'll just beep it". What's your phrase?

• Follow Martin